-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS
Started by SailCrazy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I have a question:
I'm the volunteer coordinator for an organization at my school called the New Life Volunteering Society and my job is to find different short term and long term volunteering projects for students in the club to participate in. I always accompany whoever signs up for my events so overall during the spring and fall semesters I volunteer for ~1-3 hours a week.
My problem is that these volunteering opportunities that I find are very random (helping out at blood drives, volunteering at soup kitchens, volunteering at a elementary school carnival, humane society, etc). Some places, like the soup kitchen and humane society, I go once or twice a month, all year but others it's just a one time thing.
Should I lump this organization into one because all my volunteering experiences have taken place through this club? Even with all my non-clinical volunteering experiences clumped together I should still have 6-8 strong experiences listed.
Thanks in advance!
I'm the volunteer coordinator for an organization at my school called the New Life Volunteering Society and my job is to find different short term and long term volunteering projects for students in the club to participate in. I always accompany whoever signs up for my events so overall during the spring and fall semesters I volunteer for ~1-3 hours a week.
My problem is that these volunteering opportunities that I find are very random (helping out at blood drives, volunteering at soup kitchens, volunteering at a elementary school carnival, humane society, etc). Some places, like the soup kitchen and humane society, I go once or twice a month, all year but others it's just a one time thing.
Should I lump this organization into one because all my volunteering experiences have taken place through this club? Even with all my non-clinical volunteering experiences clumped together I should still have 6-8 strong experiences listed.
Thanks in advance!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question:
I'm the volunteer coordinator for an organization at my school called the New Life Volunteering Society and my job is to find different short term and long term volunteering projects for students in the club to participate in. I always accompany whoever signs up for my events so overall during the spring and fall semesters I volunteer for ~1-3 hours a week.
My problem is that these volunteering opportunities that I find are very random (helping out at blood drives, volunteering at soup kitchens, volunteering at a elementary school carnival, humane society, etc). Some places, like the soup kitchen and humane society, I go once or twice a month, all year but others it's just a one time thing.
Should I lump this organization into one because all my volunteering experiences have taken place through this club? Even with all my non-clinical volunteering experiences clumped together I should still have 6-8 strong experiences listed.
Thanks in advance!
Yes lump it all in one organization. I had a couple or so things like this where I did just that. I listed the organization and then said the kind of volunteer stuff I did. Also mention that this is leadership since you were the group leader in these events.
In your AMCAS application, including information about medical volunteer work at hospitals or at a local EMT helps. Also, any research work should be included provided that you can explain the research work at an interview. For each activity getting a letter of recommendation is beneficial. Including non medicine related items such as expertise in computers or an interest in public policy will help.
One's title isn't as important as what one did that shows one was a leader. "Show. Don't tell." Both the founding and the running of the business are important components, and I would highlight both within the limitations of the character count. By also showing how business and #employees grew with time helps to demonstrate one's success as a leader.Situation: An individual forms a corporation and [with time] the business entity becomes quite popular/profitable (has several employees, thousands of customers, etc. etc.) The "founder" of the business maintains the title and responsibilities of CEO for three years - after which he hands the corporation over to a successor.
Question: Is it wiser for the individual to highlight the dual roles of "founder and CEO" [for the corp] - or would it be more fruitful to focus solely upon the CEO tasks/responsibilities (thus ignoring the issue of founding the business)?
Hi, I'd appreciate anyone's input on this,
I cofounded and am vice-president of a club that focuses on reducing and preventing tobacco usage. I was wondering whether I should include that I used to be ex-smoker. I quit two and half years ago and my experience with quiting provided me with the insight for a lot of the ideas I had for the club as well as the motivation to start it. I was wondering whether I should include that I used to smoke cigarettes or I should just list what I have done in the club.
thanks
I cofounded and am vice-president of a club that focuses on reducing and preventing tobacco usage. I was wondering whether I should include that I used to be ex-smoker. I quit two and half years ago and my experience with quiting provided me with the insight for a lot of the ideas I had for the club as well as the motivation to start it. I was wondering whether I should include that I used to smoke cigarettes or I should just list what I have done in the club.
thanks
Posted in another thread but realized it'd probably go better here.
I am having a dilemma on listing a certain type of research that I did. So basically, I have done three types of research - clinical, social, and lab. I loved clinical and devoted a long description to it and also spent half my personal statement writing about it. I also enjoyed social science research as well, though this was much shorter and sort of a side experience to volunteering in an emergency room.
However, I really did not like lab research at all. I spent a total of 1.5 semesters doing it, and it just never clicked with me. I basically just sat there, playing with mice, and it was just extremely boring to me, and could never really get a grasp on what it was about. I don't know why I stuck with it as long as I did, maybe I thought I'd get more responsibility as time went on or that after more courses I'd understand it more, but it took me till early last semester to realize I didn't like it. In retrospect I probably should've quit a lot earlier, or joined a different lab, but what's done is done.
My question is, should I still list this as an experience? I'm afraid that if I list it, I'll be hounded on it during my interviews and not be able to really go too in depth. In contrast, if asked about my clinical research I could probably go on for hours at length about it, the topic, what I was trying to accomplish, the patients I saw, etc. I spent 2 summers doing my clinical research and I have A LOT to say about it.
I'm also afraid if I don't list it, it will appear as though I have a gap in my experiences, as it seems that almost everyone has had "lab" research. It does however appear on my transcript that I took research for credit. I also want to become an academic physician, but for the clinical research aspects, treating patients, and training residents - which I talk about in my essay.
So what should I do? Overall, I don't think I'd feel comfortable talking about it since I didn't really like it and admittedly never really made the effort to get a lot of understanding out of it, but at the same time I don't want it to seem like I am missing something. One thing I was also thinking was adding it, but then also writing that I learned lab research isn't for me. I'm thinking that AMCAS experiences don't all have to be good - there's bad (or in this case, extended mediocre) experiences as well. However, I don't want to risk offending someone reading my app who happens to be into lab research. Ahhhh what to do!?!?!
I am having a dilemma on listing a certain type of research that I did. So basically, I have done three types of research - clinical, social, and lab. I loved clinical and devoted a long description to it and also spent half my personal statement writing about it. I also enjoyed social science research as well, though this was much shorter and sort of a side experience to volunteering in an emergency room.
However, I really did not like lab research at all. I spent a total of 1.5 semesters doing it, and it just never clicked with me. I basically just sat there, playing with mice, and it was just extremely boring to me, and could never really get a grasp on what it was about. I don't know why I stuck with it as long as I did, maybe I thought I'd get more responsibility as time went on or that after more courses I'd understand it more, but it took me till early last semester to realize I didn't like it. In retrospect I probably should've quit a lot earlier, or joined a different lab, but what's done is done.
My question is, should I still list this as an experience? I'm afraid that if I list it, I'll be hounded on it during my interviews and not be able to really go too in depth. In contrast, if asked about my clinical research I could probably go on for hours at length about it, the topic, what I was trying to accomplish, the patients I saw, etc. I spent 2 summers doing my clinical research and I have A LOT to say about it.
I'm also afraid if I don't list it, it will appear as though I have a gap in my experiences, as it seems that almost everyone has had "lab" research. It does however appear on my transcript that I took research for credit. I also want to become an academic physician, but for the clinical research aspects, treating patients, and training residents - which I talk about in my essay.
So what should I do? Overall, I don't think I'd feel comfortable talking about it since I didn't really like it and admittedly never really made the effort to get a lot of understanding out of it, but at the same time I don't want it to seem like I am missing something. One thing I was also thinking was adding it, but then also writing that I learned lab research isn't for me. I'm thinking that AMCAS experiences don't all have to be good - there's bad (or in this case, extended mediocre) experiences as well. However, I don't want to risk offending someone reading my app who happens to be into lab research. Ahhhh what to do!?!?!
I think it's reasonable to mention the basis for your inspiration. Doing it for yourself was a good thing. Helping others succeed also is a great thing.Hi, I'd appreciate anyone's input on this,
I cofounded and am vice-president of a club that focuses on reducing and preventing tobacco usage. I was wondering whether I should include that I used to be ex-smoker. I quit two and half years ago and my experience with quiting provided me with the insight for a lot of the ideas I had for the club as well as the motivation to start it. I was wondering whether I should include that I used to smoke cigarettes or I should just list what I have done in the club.
thanks
All through college I participate in both club sports and intramural sports. I think these are both important due to my level of involvement and want to include them in the work/activities section but I'm having trouble how I should best do this.
I was a member my university's Club water polo team for two years. Since we didn't have this sport at the varsity level, the club team was the only place to play water polo and was pretty involved because of this (practiced about 10 hrs a week and attended several out of state tournaments with other college club teams including a trip to the DIII club national tournament one year). I was wondering that since this isn't a varsity team whether or not I should put it under "Intercollegiate athletics" or just under "hobbies".
Also, since I participated in many intramural sports (not water polo) and helped organize a couple of teams I was wondering if I should include those elsewhere, maybe under hobbies or possibly leadership or if I should just lump these two together under a general "extracurricular sports" heading.
I was a member my university's Club water polo team for two years. Since we didn't have this sport at the varsity level, the club team was the only place to play water polo and was pretty involved because of this (practiced about 10 hrs a week and attended several out of state tournaments with other college club teams including a trip to the DIII club national tournament one year). I was wondering that since this isn't a varsity team whether or not I should put it under "Intercollegiate athletics" or just under "hobbies".
Also, since I participated in many intramural sports (not water polo) and helped organize a couple of teams I was wondering if I should include those elsewhere, maybe under hobbies or possibly leadership or if I should just lump these two together under a general "extracurricular sports" heading.
All through college I participate in both club sports and intramural sports. I think these are both important due to my level of involvement and want to include them in the work/activities section but I'm having trouble how I should best do this.
I was a member my university's Club water polo team for two years. Since we didn't have this sport at the varsity level, the club team was the only place to play water polo and was pretty involved because of this (practiced about 10 hrs a week and attended several out of state tournaments with other college club teams including a trip to the DIII club national tournament one year). I was wondering that since this isn't a varsity team whether or not I should put it under "Intercollegiate athletics" or just under "hobbies".
Also, since I participated in many intramural sports (not water polo) and helped organize a couple of teams I was wondering if I should include those elsewhere, maybe under hobbies or possibly leadership or if I should just lump these two together under a general "extracurricular sports" heading.
I would use other and list it as athletic endeavors if you decide not to use the intercollegiate atheltics classification.
I would still list it, but downplay the role you played in the lab to, maybe, that of research assistant or laboratory worker. Such a person would complete repetitive tasks as directed by someone else, would not have designed the study or the research protocols, might just be completing observations and recording data, without necessarily being fully aware of all the science behind the experiements. I don't feel it's necessary to say that basic science research is not for you. Just put in a basic description of your tasks. Be more enthusiastic about the clinical research you completed. That will make your feelings sufficiently evident.I am having a dilemma on listing a certain type of research that I did. So basically, I have done three types of research - clinical, social, and lab. I loved clinical and devoted a long description to it and also spent half my personal statement writing about it. I also enjoyed social science research as well, though this was much shorter and sort of a side experience to volunteering in an emergency room.
However, I really did not like lab research at all. I spent a total of 1.5 semesters doing it, and it just never clicked with me. I basically just sat there, playing with mice, and it was just extremely boring to me, and could never really get a grasp on what it was about. I don't know why I stuck with it as long as I did, maybe I thought I'd get more responsibility as time went on or that after more courses I'd understand it more, but it took me till early last semester to realize I didn't like it. In retrospect I probably should've quit a lot earlier, or joined a different lab, but what's done is done.
My question is, should I still list this as an experience? I'm afraid that if I list it, I'll be hounded on it during my interviews and not be able to really go too in depth. In contrast, if asked about my clinical research I could probably go on for hours at length about it, the topic, what I was trying to accomplish, the patients I saw, etc. I spent 2 summers doing my clinical research and I have A LOT to say about it.
I'm also afraid if I don't list it, it will appear as though I have a gap in my experiences, as it seems that almost everyone has had "lab" research. It does however appear on my transcript that I took research for credit. I also want to become an academic physician, but for the clinical research aspects, treating patients, and training residents - which I talk about in my essay.
So what should I do? Overall, I don't think I'd feel comfortable talking about it since I didn't really like it and admittedly never really made the effort to get a lot of understanding out of it, but at the same time I don't want it to seem like I am missing something. One thing I was also thinking was adding it, but then also writing that I learned lab research isn't for me. I'm thinking that AMCAS experiences don't all have to be good - there's bad (or in this case, extended mediocre) experiences as well. However, I don't want to risk offending someone reading my app who happens to be into lab research. Ahhhh what to do!?!?!
EDIT - Found my answer in searching, please disregard post.
I apologize if this has been asked before; I will continue to search the thread, but was having a hard time finding an answer.
To what degree of detail should we enter in the Works/Activities section when talking about research? Should it be detailing the specific things you did? (Example, "discovered protein x was responsible for function y, purified protein x" etc.)
Thanks in advance.
I apologize if this has been asked before; I will continue to search the thread, but was having a hard time finding an answer.
To what degree of detail should we enter in the Works/Activities section when talking about research? Should it be detailing the specific things you did? (Example, "discovered protein x was responsible for function y, purified protein x" etc.)
Thanks in advance.
Last edited:
I am wondering the same thing as above.
And also, should you bundle all of your awards into one entry or should differing awards be bundled into categories?
And also, should you bundle all of your awards into one entry or should differing awards be bundled into categories?
How in depth should we go with our descriptions? So far I am listing responsibilities in different areas off as though I am filling out a resume. Should I state things like:
"I did X and Y, and while having the opportunity I was able to take part in Z"
OR
"provided X and Y
took part in Z"
Should we list things in more of a resume format or should we be "fluffy" with our descriptions? Thanks!
"I did X and Y, and while having the opportunity I was able to take part in Z"
OR
"provided X and Y
took part in Z"
Should we list things in more of a resume format or should we be "fluffy" with our descriptions? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would still list it, but downplay the role you played in the lab to, maybe, that of research assistant or laboratory worker. Such a person would complete repetitive tasks as directed by someone else, would not have designed the study or the research protocols, might just be completing observations and recording data, without necessarily being fully aware of all the science behind the experiements. I don't feel it's necessary to say that basic science research is not for you. Just put in a basic description of your tasks. Be more enthusiastic about the clinical research you completed. That will make your feelings sufficiently evident.
Thanks, that helps out a lot! I guess then my question is, how should I differentiate these two research experiences in my titles/descriptions? Before, I listed both as "research assistant," but I guess from what you are saying, that phrase connotes pretty much running trials with little understanding - basically exactly what my lab research experience is.
However, for my clinical research I was pretty much completely independent - I made occasional appointments with my mentor and other specialists, but I was pretty much all on my own. I started off with no knowledge whatsoever on my topic - designing a battery of neuropsychological tests to give to stroke patients - was given behavioral neurology books used by residents, and basically told to go away until I came up with something. It was a fantastic learning experience since I was given so much independence and eventually learned how to give cognitive screening to stroke patients, on my own learning curve.
I guess my question is, if this makes sense, if I am a research assistant for my lab research, what could I say as my description for my clinical research? Originally I just wrote that I was a clinical research assistant but obviously I need something to differentiate the big difference in quality of experiences, and independence that I had. Thanks again!
To what degree of detail should we explain our research in our work/activities section of the AMCAS?
Hey guys, I'm adding some publications...
So, i found by searching the thread that i should just list the citation in the experience description area... Did anyone list more? Should I put how i was involved, the conclusion, etc?
second, I have a paper that was accepted to be published, but is "in press"... meaning theres no date yet. How should I enter that?
So, i found by searching the thread that i should just list the citation in the experience description area... Did anyone list more? Should I put how i was involved, the conclusion, etc?
second, I have a paper that was accepted to be published, but is "in press"... meaning theres no date yet. How should I enter that?
I was a member of my college's honors program for all 4 years of school. Should I list this as under honors/awards/recognition? If so, is the date of award the date I entered the program?
In addition, I was selected to be an ambassador for and peer mentor in the program; should these be listed as separate EC's or as one with my membership in the honors program?
Thanks for the help!
In addition, I was selected to be an ambassador for and peer mentor in the program; should these be listed as separate EC's or as one with my membership in the honors program?
Thanks for the help!
Hey if anyone can assist my friend in this sort of unusual situation it would be helpful. She asked me to ask around for an answer to her question a while ago so here I am asking on her behalf.
Supposedly she's received conflicting opinions on whether she should write a job she held since she graduated May 2008 to about January of this year.
She worked at Abbot as a chem tech and in November she told her supervisor if she could go part time in the new year and I guess he said yes. Well he hired a replacement and told her that she was no longer needed. She didn't care since well it was extra time for her to study and get together E.Cs.
I guess she's worried that if she lists the job that they will see she's pretty much not done anything since Feb-June. (Aside from studying and volunteering I suppose.)
Help would be appreciated! Hope that made sense, haha!
Supposedly she's received conflicting opinions on whether she should write a job she held since she graduated May 2008 to about January of this year.
She worked at Abbot as a chem tech and in November she told her supervisor if she could go part time in the new year and I guess he said yes. Well he hired a replacement and told her that she was no longer needed. She didn't care since well it was extra time for her to study and get together E.Cs.
I guess she's worried that if she lists the job that they will see she's pretty much not done anything since Feb-June. (Aside from studying and volunteering I suppose.)
Help would be appreciated! Hope that made sense, haha!
That the research was also clinical in nature is important to convey as well. Maybe name it "Clinical Researcher in Neuro-Psychology."I guess my question is, if this makes sense, if I am a research assistant for my lab research, what could I say as my description for my clinical research? Originally I just wrote that I was a clinical research assistant but obviously I need something to differentiate the big difference in quality of experiences, and independence that I had. Thanks again!
To further downgrade the bench research, you could name it "Laboratory Assistant."
To what degree of detail should we enter in the Works/Activities section when talking about research? Should it be detailing the specific things you did? (Example, "discovered protein x was responsible for function y, purified protein x" etc.)
I would be fairly detailed, as it's my experience that one of your interviewers may be chosen or may chose you based on similiar research backgrounds. You might want to be more generic in the opening description since 90% of those who read it won't have a clue what it means (and will stop reading if too much detail is given), then expand further in another paragraph for the sake of 'those in the know.'To what degree of detail should we explain our research in our work/activities section of the AMCAS?
Last edited:
Hey if anyone can assist my friend in this sort of unusual situation it would be helpful. She asked me to ask around for an answer to her question a while ago so here I am asking on her behalf.
Supposedly she's received conflicting opinions on whether she should write a job she held since she graduated May 2008 to about January of this year.
She worked at Abbot as a chem tech and in November she told her supervisor if she could go part time in the new year and I guess he said yes. Well he hired a replacement and told her that she was no longer needed. She didn't care since well it was extra time for her to study and get together E.Cs.
I guess she's worried that if she lists the job that they will see she's pretty much not done anything since Feb-June. (Aside from studying and volunteering I suppose.)
Help would be appreciated! Hope that made sense, haha!
When you list the job you list an average hours of work. So unless she says in the description that she went full time and then partime. So I am not sure how it matters. Secondly, I'm sure they will understand she wanted to do some volunteering and other things medical schools like to see.
I would be fairly detailed, as it's my experience that one of your interviewers may be chosen or may chose you based on similiar research backgrounds. You might want to be more generic in the opening description since 90% of those who read it won't have a clue what it means (and will stop reading if too much detail is given), then expand further in another paragraph for the sake of 'those in the know.'
agreed 100%
The citation should be under Publications. The research description (and conclusion, if you wish) should go under Research.So, i found by searching the thread that i should just list the citation in the experience description area... Did anyone list more? Should I put how i was involved, the conclusion, etc?
second, I have a paper that was accepted to be published, but is "in press"... meaning theres no date yet. How should I enter that?
Another poster (about 5-6 pages back) called AMCAS and was told that you can put the date of acceptance for a publication in the Date Published blank. In the citation, rather than issue/a page number, put "(In Press)."
The citation should be under Publications. The research description (and conclusion, if you wish) should go under Research.
Another poster (about 5-6 pages back) called AMCAS and was told that you can put the date of acceptance for a publication in the Date Published blank. In the citation, rather than issue/a page number, put "(In Press)."
Negative on that. It won't let me leave the form without a pop-up that says to correct the error (error being i leave the month on "select" [i know its gonna be in 2010, just later])
so if i am going to begin shadowing a doctor in a few weeks, would it be ok to put on my primary application that i was shadowing the doctor from june 2010 to present?
or do i not put it on?
thanks in advance!
or do i not put it on?
thanks in advance!
I would list the date you completed the four-year program. In the narrative put the four years of participation and describe how you expanded your role over time. If you completed a thesis project, add that too.I was a member of my college's honors program for all 4 years of school. Should I list this as under honors/awards/recognition? If so, is the date of award the date I entered the program?
In addition, I was selected to be an ambassador for and peer mentor in the program; should these be listed as separate EC's or as one with my membership in the honors program?
Alternatively, if you were required to take honors-designated classes each term, then there should be an "H" after those courses on your transcript, which will make it apparent that you were in honors classes. Instead of listing it under Honors/Awards/Etc you might consider putting it under Leadership instead and focus on the Embassadorship and mentoring aspect, which, honestly, is more important. A thesis project, if not Research as defined by adcomms, could be listed under "Other."
Sorry I wasn't clear. By blank, I meant space, as in ____________. In the place you need to fill in a date, enter the date you received notification that the publication was accepted by the journal.Negative on that. It won't let me leave the form without a pop-up that says to correct the error (error being i leave the month on "select" [i know its gonna be in 2010, just later])
Do not put it in. Inform schools of this activity via update letter, or wait to submit until the date you start.so if i am going to begin shadowing a doctor in a few weeks, would it be ok to put on my primary application that i was shadowing the doctor from june 2010 to present?
or do i not put it on?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
See post #2781.How in depth should we go with our descriptions? So far I am listing responsibilities in different areas off as though I am filling out a resume. Should I state things like:
"I did X and Y, and while having the opportunity I was able to take part in Z"
OR
"provided X and Y
took part in Z"
Should we list things in more of a resume format or should we be "fluffy" with our descriptions? Thanks!
I would try hard to get everything into one space, using the most amazing one to put in the header and use for a date.And also, should you bundle all of your awards into one entry or should differing awards be bundled into categories?
I decided to list my positions as ambassador and peer mentor in the honors program under Leadership as one item, and my membership in the honors program together with my other academic awards as one item under Awards/Honors.
Does that sound like a better use of the section?
Does that sound like a better use of the section?
I was a member of my college's honors program for all 4 years of school. Should I list this as under honors/awards/recognition? If so, is the date of award the date I entered the program?
In addition, I was selected to be an ambassador for and peer mentor in the program; should these be listed as separate EC's or as one with my membership in the honors program?
I decided to list my positions as ambassador and peer mentor in the honors program under Leadership as one item, and my membership in the honors program together with my other academic awards as one item under Awards/Honors.
Does that sound like a better use of the section?
Hey guys! Quick question!
I was an unpaid undergraduate researcher for 2 years and when I graduated, I continued work in the same lab for 1 more year but as a paid employee. Should this go under 1 box or 2?
Thanks!!
I was an unpaid undergraduate researcher for 2 years and when I graduated, I continued work in the same lab for 1 more year but as a paid employee. Should this go under 1 box or 2?
Thanks!!
That sounds fine.I decided to list my positions as ambassador and peer mentor in the honors program under Leadership as one item, and my membership in the honors program together with my other academic awards as one item under Awards/Honors.
Does that sound like a better use of the section?
Research is always listed as Research, whether volunteer, paid, or for class credit. You can explain the move up to becoming a paid employee in the narrative, as it suggests your contributions were deemed worthy.I was an unpaid undergraduate researcher for 2 years and when I graduated, I continued work in the same lab for 1 more year but as a paid employee. Should this go under 1 box or 2?
Research is always listed as Research, whether volunteer, paid, or for class credit. You can explain the move up to becoming a paid employee in the narrative, as it suggests your contributions were deemed worthy.
Thanks again Cat! 👍 I did it the way you described it. I dont want to load up on boxes just because I want to add more experiences.
I would be fairly detailed, as it's my experience that one of your interviewers may be chosen or may chose you based on similiar research backgrounds. You might want to be more generic in the opening description since 90% of those who read it won't have a clue what it means (and will stop reading if too much detail is given), then expand further in another paragraph for the sake of 'those in the know.'
I had multiple projects in the same lab and so it's impossible for me to go into a lot of detail and not exceed the character limit. I am also already at the 15 experience maximum, so I cannot split it up by project.
So, I included a general sentence to illustrate the importance of the project, a few sentences about what I did and the importance of the results. However, I kept everything somewhat general due to the space limitations. Any suggestions? I would prefer to go into greater detail, but I want to be concise and also not confuse the reader. (I also listed the publication in another entry, so they can always look it up too)
Citing the publication probably covers you pretty well. If there was one part of the project that you feel was the most interesting, you could add a bit more detail for that portion and trim somewhere else. Or you could put in more detail in the narrative of the Publication section.I had multiple projects in the same lab and so it's impossible for me to go into a lot of detail and not exceed the character limit. I am also already at the 15 experience maximum, so I cannot split it up by project.
So, I included a general sentence to illustrate the importance of the project, a few sentences about what I did and the importance of the results. However, I kept everything somewhat general due to the space limitations. Any suggestions? I would prefer to go into greater detail, but I want to be concise and also not confuse the reader. (I also listed the publication in another entry, so they can always look it up too)
I think they would be better appreciated if left in context with the research that inspired the the commendations (and you wouldn't have to explain the research twice).I got a couple of awards for my research. Should I list this as a separate activity or just mention it under my research activity?
Hi,
If I have taught a sport should is it best to list that under paid employment or under teaching?
Thanks!
You can use either. And explain that it was both in the description section.
Depends on what you want to highlight? i.e. that it was a job or the teaching aspect of it.
I imagine the same can be said for most teaching and tutoring experiences since they are technically usually paid positions.
If it were me i would do the teaching/tutoring category because it highlights my leadership role and not that it was just another job.
I had multiple projects in the same lab and so it's impossible for me to go into a lot of detail and not exceed the character limit. I am also already at the 15 experience maximum, so I cannot split it up by project.
So, I included a general sentence to illustrate the importance of the project, a few sentences about what I did and the importance of the results. However, I kept everything somewhat general due to the space limitations. Any suggestions? I would prefer to go into greater detail, but I want to be concise and also not confuse the reader. (I also listed the publication in another entry, so they can always look it up too)
If you are limited for space that is fine. when you get secondaries they give space for if you want to add something that is not on amcas in most secondaries. you can expand upon some of your ecs there if you need to. good luck.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Cat (and others), on the descriptions, do you know if it's necessary to put a total hours count at the end? I have done this for some activities, such as shadowing and clinical volunteering. But for jobs and some other long activities, I didn't do this because I figured it would be fairly obvious from the hrs/field and start/end, and it would end up being a huge number (and might not take into account vacation, etc.). Is this ok to leave that total hours out for some jobs and other long commitments, as long as hrs/week is specified?
Also for my research, I'm also being concise but not putting in too much detail either due to space limitations (multiple projects in some cases) or a slightly confusing subject matter. I have 15 decently sized work/activities (no fluff) so I don't want to fatigue the reader too much. I figure if they want to know more they can always ask. Hope that's ok.
Thanks!
Also for my research, I'm also being concise but not putting in too much detail either due to space limitations (multiple projects in some cases) or a slightly confusing subject matter. I have 15 decently sized work/activities (no fluff) so I don't want to fatigue the reader too much. I figure if they want to know more they can always ask. Hope that's ok.
Thanks!
1) In that situation is it fine not to state a grand total of hours of involvement.1) Is this ok to leave that total hours out for some jobs and other long commitments, as long as hrs/week is specified?
2) Also for my research, I'm also being concise but not putting in too much detail either due to space limitations (multiple projects in some cases) or a slightly confusing subject matter. I have 15 decently sized work/activities (no fluff) so I don't want to fatigue the reader too much. I figure if they want to know more they can always ask. Hope that's ok.
2) Adcomms understand space limitations. As long as the general idea of the research is clear, you're fine.
1) In that situation is it fine not to state a grand total of hours of involvement.
2) Adcomms understand space limitations. As long as the general idea of the research is clear, you're fine.
Thanks as always for your help Cat!
I recently found out that some research which I have been deeply involved in has been accepted for presentation at an upcoming conference this fall. My PI will be the one presenting; however, I will be listed as first author.
How would I go about including this in the app? Would it be appropriate to list it as a separate entry under "posters/presentations" even though it has not been presented yet but has been accepted? I was thinking about writing a citation and then noting that it has been accepted for the upcoming ___ conference this fall.
How would I go about including this in the app? Would it be appropriate to list it as a separate entry under "posters/presentations" even though it has not been presented yet but has been accepted? I was thinking about writing a citation and then noting that it has been accepted for the upcoming ___ conference this fall.
As the presentation is a future event, it would best be listed under the Research category. After you describe the research, in the same space state that the data (I presume it's an abstract?) is accepted for presentation by your PI at xxx Conference, in XXX City, on XXX date, and that you are first author.I recently found out that some research which I have been deeply involved in has been accepted for presentation at an upcoming conference this fall. My PI will be the one presenting; however, I will be listed as first author.
How would I go about including this in the app? Would it be appropriate to list it as a separate entry under "posters/presentations" even though it has not been presented yet but has been accepted? I was thinking about writing a citation and then noting that it has been accepted for the upcoming ___ conference this fall.
If the abstract is eventually published in a national journal, you can advise schools by update letter that you have a first-author Publication at that time.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 759