Short-term scribing job - how to list on AMCAS work & activities list?

Started by ladydawgs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ladydawgs

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I just received an offer to work as a medical assistant in a derm clinic. They want me to start on May 18th. I am very excited about this because it seems like great hands on clinical experience and I loved the culture when I interviewed.

However, I just started a full-time medical scribe position, also in a derm clinic. I had 6 in-person training shifts, and would only have 5 solo shifts before quitting (only 3 weeks, for a total of ~75 hours). I learned a lot about derm and medical decision making while working here, but I’d rather take a position that pays better and gives me the opportunity to interact with patients.

I’m not sure if it’s worth including those scribing hours in my AMCAS work and & activities list. I only have 1 activity slot open, and I wanted to use it on the medical assistant position.


My options are:

A) Do not include the scribing hours anywhere in my application.

B) Combine my shadowing hours with my paid scribing hours into 1 entry. Of course I would specify in the description that the scribing hours were paid, and the other shadowing hours were unpaid. Right now I have 32 shadowing hours across 4 specialties. 8 of those hours are in derm.

C) Combine my MA position with the scribing position into 1 entry. I would obviously specify how many hours I scribed, and how many hours I plan to be an MA for.

D) Take out one of the other activities in my list (probably a hobby because I have 3 hobbies right now) and replace it with the scribing entry. I have 3 hobby entries right now, but they are all lifelong hobbies with between 2500-10,000 hours for each one (music, a sport, and reading).


I’d appreciate any advice on what I should do! It feels a shame to not include the scribing hours somewhere, because I learned a lot from it. But I also don’t want the fact that it was a short-term role to reflect poorly on me.

Thank you for your help!
 
Hi everyone!

I just received an offer to work as a medical assistant in a derm clinic. They want me to start on May 18th. I am very excited about this because it seems like great hands on clinical experience and I loved the culture when I interviewed.

However, I just started a full-time medical scribe position, also in a derm clinic. I had 6 in-person training shifts, and would only have 5 solo shifts before quitting (only 3 weeks, for a total of ~75 hours). I learned a lot about derm and medical decision making while working here, but I’d rather take a position that pays better and gives me the opportunity to interact with patients.

I’m not sure if it’s worth including those scribing hours in my AMCAS work and & activities list. I only have 1 activity slot open, and I wanted to use it on the medical assistant position.


My options are:

A) Do not include the scribing hours anywhere in my application.

B) Combine my shadowing hours with my paid scribing hours into 1 entry. Of course I would specify in the description that the scribing hours were paid, and the other shadowing hours were unpaid. Right now I have 32 shadowing hours across 4 specialties. 8 of those hours are in derm.

C) Combine my MA position with the scribing position into 1 entry. I would obviously specify how many hours I scribed, and how many hours I plan to be an MA for.

D) Take out one of the other activities in my list (probably a hobby because I have 3 hobbies right now) and replace it with the scribing entry. I have 3 hobby entries right now, but they are all lifelong hobbies with between 2500-10,000 hours for each one (music, a sport, and reading).


I’d appreciate any advice on what I should do! It feels a shame to not include the scribing hours somewhere, because I learned a lot from it. But I also don’t want the fact that it was a short-term role to reflect poorly on me.

Thank you for your help!
While I feel that using three spaces for Hobbies is excessive, I think that C) is your best option since both were Clinical Employment and both were in a Derm office, being sure to include Contact info for the second job in the narrative. Think twice about including future hours in the header for a job you'll have barely begun, when you may not last through your trial period.