Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

Started by SailCrazy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As the presentation is a future event, it would best be listed under the Research category. After you describe the research, in the same space state that the data (I presume it's an abstract?) is accepted for presentation by your PI at xxx Conference, in XXX City, on XXX date, and that you are first author.

If the abstract is eventually published in a national journal, you can advise schools by update letter that you have a first-author Publication at that time.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
 
although i am not involved in any highly competitive athletics, I want them to know that I do engage in physical activity.

I made a heading called Athletics and this is what i have in it

- High school senior soccer team:
.o .Daily practices and scheduled games for 2006-2007 academic year.
- Roller Hockey league:
.o .Summers of 2007-2008 & 2008-2009.
MVP for my team in the 2007-2008 season

.o .1 game per week
- Table tennis club:
.o .Weekly games for the 2009-2010 academic year.




are any of these not worth mentioning??? or do you look at it and think, okay this is a good range of athletic involvement
 
although i am not involved in any highly competitive athletics, I want them to know that I do engage in physical activity.

I made a heading called Athletics and this is what i have in it

- High school senior soccer team:
.o .Daily practices and scheduled games for 2006-2007 academic year.
- Roller Hockey league:
.o .Summers of 2007-2008 & 2008-2009.
MVP for my team in the 2007-2008 season

.o .1 game per week
- Table tennis club:
.o .Weekly games for the 2009-2010 academic year.




are any of these not worth mentioning??? or do you look at it and think, okay this is a good range of athletic involvement
Personally, I wouldn't mention HS soccer, as it didn't carry over into the college years.

The rest is fine, but I find myself wanting to know more about the table tennis activity. How long is a game? Are there teams or solo competition? Can you describe it so one gets a sense of it just being a friendly game vs a killer competition?

For the Roller Hockey, I don't get a feel for the time commintment. Did you have to practice. Was it intracollegiate or teams on campus or competition between towns/cities?

(Not to sound too much like an idiot, but I'm not Canadian. Is Roller Hockey like Ice Hockey but on roller skates? If I'm not sure, perhaps a wee bit of explanation is in order if you're applying outside of Vermont and Minnesota.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a lot of research experiences but I am afraid that I am being too brief in my descriptions. I agree with the consensus on this thread that concise is the way to go but I may be going overboard. Any criticisms would be appreciated.

Ex:
Experience description: Conducted translational research of a novel sodium-calcium exchanger involved in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy. Responsibilities included localization and functional assays, confocal microscopy, and western blotting. This research culminated in a poster presentation to hospital faculty. As part of the program I shadowed a different physician every week in a variety of departments. Students were allowed to observe surgeries, procedures, and rounds.

Experience description: Using RNA based methods of gene regulation to study tumor pathogenesis in bacterial species Agrobacterium tumefaciens. I started in this lab as a work study student responsible for laboratory maintenance and was offered a position doing research. My research qualified me for acceptance into the joint bachelor's and master's program. Responsibilities included PCR, protein biochemistry, protein expression assays, DNA manipulation, high-throughput screening, and gel electrophoresis.
 
Personally, I wouldn't mention HS soccer, as it didn't carry over into the college years.

(Not to sound too much like an idiot, but I'm not Canadian. Is Roller Hockey like Ice Hockey but on roller skates? If I'm not sure, perhaps a wee bit of explanation is in order if you're applying outside of Vermont and Minnesota.)

I'm sorry in Minnesota we only acknowledge people that play real hockey. 😛
 
(Not to sound too much like an idiot, but I'm not Canadian. Is Roller Hockey like Ice Hockey but on roller skates? If I'm not sure, perhaps a wee bit of explanation is in order if you're applying outside of Vermont and Minnesota.)
Actually, they would probably have to explain roller hockey to people up north. It's a warm weather phenomenon. Street/roller hockey was very common in Southern California when I was growing up. And yes, it's hockey played on roller blades/skates.
 
Personally, I wouldn't mention HS soccer, as it didn't carry over into the college years.

The rest is fine, but I find myself wanting to know more about the table tennis activity. How long is a game? Are there teams or solo competition? Can you describe it so one gets a sense of it just being a friendly game vs a killer competition?

For the Roller Hockey, I don't get a feel for the time commintment. Did you have to practice. Was it intracollegiate or teams on campus or competition between towns/cities?

(Not to sound too much like an idiot, but I'm not Canadian. Is Roller Hockey like Ice Hockey but on roller skates? If I'm not sure, perhaps a wee bit of explanation is in order if you're applying outside of Vermont and Minnesota.)

Thank you, i will address all these issues. that was very helpful.

and yea thats exactly what roller hockey is. also its 4v4 instead of 5v5 and has some different rules.
 
I have a lot of research experiences but I am afraid that I am being too brief in my descriptions. I agree with the consensus on this thread that concise is the way to go but I may be going overboard. Any criticisms would be appreciated.

Ex:
Experience description: Conducted translational research of a novel sodium-calcium exchanger involved in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy. Responsibilities included localization and functional assays, confocal microscopy, and western blotting. This research culminated in a poster presentation to hospital faculty. As part of the program I shadowed a different physician every week in a variety of departments. Students were allowed to observe surgeries, procedures, and rounds.

Experience description: Using RNA based methods of gene regulation to study tumor pathogenesis in bacterial species Agrobacterium tumefaciens. I started in this lab as a work study student responsible for laboratory maintenance and was offered a position doing research. My research qualified me for acceptance into the joint bachelor's and master's program. Responsibilities included PCR, protein biochemistry, protein expression assays, DNA manipulation, high-throughput screening, and gel electrophoresis.
I am a big fan of conciseness, but an exception I've made to this "rule" is one's current, substantive research project, when space permits:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMICHPremed
To what degree of detail should we explain our research in our work/activities section of the AMCAS?

Catalystik said:
I would be fairly detailed, as it's my experience that one of your interviewers may be chosen or may chose you based on similiar research backgrounds. You might want to be more generic in the opening description since 90% of those who read it won't have a clue what it means (and will stop reading if too much detail is given), then expand further in another paragraph for the sake of 'those in the know.'

BTW, I would list the Physican Shadowing on it's own under "Other." Many schools expect to see this type of activity, and if you bury it in obscure research-ese, it might be missed.

But otherwise, I like both research descriptions and side information.
 
I'm sorry in Minnesota we only acknowledge people that play real hockey. 😛

Actually, they would probably have to explain roller hockey to people up north. It's a warm weather phenomenon. Street/roller hockey was very common in Southern California when I was growing up. And yes, it's hockey played on roller blades/skates.

and yea thats exactly what roller hockey is. also its 4v4 instead of 5v5 and has some different rules.
I love learning cross-cultural stuff. Thanks, guys.
 
I am a big fan of conciseness, but an exception I've made to this "rule" is one's current, substantive research project, when space permits:



BTW, I would list the Physican Shadowing on it's own under "Other." Many schools expect to see this type of activity, and if you bury it in obscure research-ese, it might be missed.

But otherwise, I like both research descriptions and side information.

Thanks catalystik...as always very helpful
 
so for the past 5 years, i've had this job being a personal assist doing mostly office related tasks (typing things, updating databases, managing calendars, etc, etc)... it is not related to the field of medicine... should i put this as one of my experiences? i do feel that i've learned somethings from it however, any thoughts?
 
During the summer of my freshman year, I had a 3 month internship at a law firm.

Is it worthwhile to point out in the description the caliber of the law firm or should it not be mentioned and hope that the adcom googles the firm/or is familiar with law firms?

Edit: (The firm isn't well known among the general public, but it is one of the top in the nation for immigration and patent law) Should I point this out?
 
Last edited:
Hi,

I have two published abstracts and presented them at an international conference. Should I have a separate category labeled Publications? or group them with my research experience?

Are published abstracts considered Publications?
 
During the summer of my freshman year, I had a 3 month internship at a law firm.

Is it worthwhile to point out in the description the caliber of the law firm or should it not be mentioned and hope that the adcom googles the firm/or is familiar with law firms?

Edit: (The firm isn't well known among the general public, but it is one of the top in the nation for immigration and patent law) Should I point this out?

I think the chances of the adcom googling/being familiar with the law firm would be pretty slim. These people read tons of applications; personally, I cannot fathom them searching for obscure, law firm names online.

So, just to be on the safe side, I most certainly would mention the prestige factor. It'll make the experience appear that much more impressive.
 
so for the past 5 years, i've had this job being a personal assist doing mostly office related tasks (typing things, updating databases, managing calendars, etc, etc)... it is not related to the field of medicine... should i put this as one of my experiences? i do feel that i've learned somethings from it however, any thoughts?

yes it is paid employment nonmilitary
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have two published abstracts and presented them at an international conference. Should I have a separate category labeled Publications? or group them with my research experience?

Are published abstracts considered Publications?
Publication trumps Presentation. If your abstracts were published in a national journal, they are "Publications." In this case, you'd mention the Presentation in the narrative of the Research or Publication entry, not separately.

Alternatively, if the abstracts were published on-line only, or in a conference booklet, they are not "Publications" for AMCAS purposes. In which case, you would have an entry for Presentations.
 
I have been volunteering at an hospital for a year, but I did not get my hours collecting sheet. Will medical schools need that in order to believe me?

And I just now started shadowing a doctor, while at the same time volunteering. Will they need some sort of verification from the doctor for that?

Please answer as thoroughly as you can. And if there is something that they need verification for, can you please it. Thanks 🙂
 
Hey peeps, I have a quick question. I did a volunteer gig over the course of 1.5 years. However, within that 1.5 yr timeframe, there was a 3 month break (summer) where I didn't do it. What should I list on AMCAS for the start/end date? The whole 1.5 years or something else?
 
Hey peeps, I have a quick question. I did a volunteer gig over the course of 1.5 years. However, within that 1.5 yr timeframe, there was a 3 month break (summer) where I didn't do it. What should I list on AMCAS for the start/end date? The whole 1.5 years or something else?
Two options: 1) You can either list the first date and the last date, then average the total hours over the entire time, even when you weren't participating (making the average hours of week less than was generally true), or 2) You can list the longest block of continuous time, with the true average hours per week, then in the narrative mention that you did the same activity for the second block of time (listing the second set of to and from dates) for X hours per week. Then give a grand total of hours at the end of the narrative.
 
I ran and organized fundraisers to raise money for the canadian cancer society. Is that community service - non medical? Or is that under leadership??
 
Hey

I will be applying this cycle and I have 2 questions about my 2 EC's.

My parents own a small retail store in California and I've been working at the store part time for over 8-9 years (since around middle school i believe). I worked a lot more during summers, but I am sure I have totaled over 1000+ hours easily. Will this look any good on my application? I have stopped working since my Junior year because I have been so many things that I just didn't have the time to help out.

Also, I've been volunteering at a home for mentally handicapped people for 8.5 years. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life and partly led to my interest in medicine. I also have a lot of experiences with handicapped people other than this experience. How good will this look on my application? I want to highlight that I was only able to volunteer around 1-1.5 hours per week and totaled around 600-700 hours over the years.

Thanks guys! This is an amazing site!

PS I am hoping to get in to UC schools or hopefully Ivys... will these experiences give me an 'edge' over other applicants? I have excellent GPA (between 3.9-4.0) and research (will write mcat later) Thanks!
 
Last edited:
What if I can't get a contact #. Will it qualify?

You don't need a contact number (has this changed?) , you just need a name. Seriously, though, you've been there a year and you can't get the number for at least the department if not the volunteering office? Same with the doctor, just put a number for his office if it is needed.
 
Hey

I will be applying this cycle and I have 2 questions about my 2 EC's that I have.

My parents own a small retail store in California and I've been working at the store part time for over 8-9 years (since around middle school i believe). I worked a lot more during summers, but I am sure I have totaled over 1000+ hours easily. Will this look any good on my application? I have stopped working since my Junior year because I have been so many things that I just didn't have the time to help out.

Also, I've been volunteering at a home for mentally handicapped people for 8.5 years. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life and partly led to my interest in medicine. I also have a lot of experiences with handicapped people other than this experience. How good will this look on my application? I want to highlight that I was only able to volunteer around 1-1.5 hours per week and totaled around 600-700 hours over the years.

Thanks guys! This is an amazing site!
Sure, that's fine. I think the second is more neat than the first one. The first one is neutral in my opinion. It's good but not amazing. The second is pretty neat but more importantly is whether you've taken any initiative on that matter.

Include both, why not? The only reason I would not consider my first one was if you had 14+ things already that were more impressive or more medically related. There are few things on your application that will hurt you unless they're illegal or extremely controversial.
 
There is no way that med schools will try to verify all of their applicant's EC activities... there's just no way so you can technically put down random stuff you never did. However, they can tell you're lying during interviews or even worse if they find out you lied after you've been admitted. They can and will kick you out for this stuff.
 
I took a 2 credit Bio499 course at my university's research lab where I worked about 12 hours a week.
I was wondering is this still considered an EC?


I ask because, although my friends who went the same path as me entered it on their applications, I'm wary because it's part of my curriculum.
 
Just be honest with what you've done, provide the contact name, and be able to articulate what you did and learned. I doubt med schools will verify many, if any, activities. The only one's I could see are extreme ECs, such as playing a professional sport, winning a huge award, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's why good lor's are so important: they prove that you were somewhere long enough, doing quality work, to have someone agree to write you a letter.
 
Seriously, though, you've been there a year and you can't get the number for at least the department if not the volunteering office?

The administratrors changed, they don't even have my info no more. so i'll be kinda pointless to put a # to which won't be helpful
 
You don't need a contact number (has this changed?) , you just need a name. Seriously, though, you've been there a year and you can't get the number for at least the department if not the volunteering office? Same with the doctor, just put a number for his office if it is needed.

The administrators changed, they don't have any of my info no more, so i'll be kinda pointless to put a # to which won't be helpful
 
Do we have to use full sentences under description? or should we just list things?

and also if we volunteered/shadowed for like a week, but we can only put it in months... what do we put for hours per week? should i divide it up or put the hour i worked for that week?
 
Last edited:
umh that depends. what did you do exactly? it the course structured like a regular curriculum or did you just agree to volunteer at a random lab? many people receive course credit for undergraduate research. in such a case, it's perfectly acceptable to list it as an EC. Obviously though if you're talking more about a regular lab course like gen chem lab then no.

in any case, one quarter of lab doesn't sound that impressive. Adcoms are looking for more year long commitments. if you do put it down, be prepared to explain exactly what your contribution was and what you learned from it. the last thing they will want to hear about is you washing dishes and just setting up equipment.
 
I worked at Emory University Primate Research Center
I joined a researcher there that I found on my own

I worked there from august-March
(Even after the semester ended, I volunteer to work for free out of my own time to finish the projects I was working on)



But you answered my question perfectly, THANK YOU!!!
 
over 8-9 years (since around middle school i believe). I worked a lot more during summers, but I am sure I have totaled over 1000+ hours easily.

Also, I've been volunteering at a home for mentally handicapped people for 8.5 years.

600-700 hours over the years.
You must have been VERY part time. 1000 hours is only 20 hours a week for one year. Your experience at the center for the mentally handicapped is commendable, but nearly everyone will have such experiences. I worked in a hospital for 3 years for 20 hours/week=3000 hrs work and clinical experience. In my honest opinion, I think that your experience, in terms of hours, is below average. I wouldn't bother shooting for cali schools or an Ivy (unless that includes your state schools) before getting your MCAT score. Average MCAT scores for those schools is in excess of 32 or so, the MSAR could tell you more specifically. Study hard, take the MCAT, then come back with that.

I don't mean to sound stand-offish, but what have you been doing with yourself? It took you 8 years to total 1000 hours at work? 8.5 years to total 700 hours volunteering? Applicants can, and do, total more than those hours in a year, easily.
 
Assuming you coordinated committees or other people to get tasks done, I'd list it under Leadership. Maybe name the experience something like "Community Service/Fundraising."


okay great, thanks.

btw you deserve an award for all the help you give. we truly appreciate it.👍
 
Required Activities

Extracurricular Activities

Extracurricular activities are defined as activities outside the usual duties of a full-time job and/or school. The committee is interested in how applicants deal with the demands of their lives outside of the classroom. This is a strong indicator of how well they handle responsibilities and deal with stressful situations. It also predicts how well they will handle the difficult demands of medical school. Activities may include sports, church, family, volunteering and other special interests.

  • The minimum requirement is some involvement in outside activities.
  • The average applicant devotes 20 hours per week during each of the 4 years prior to entering medical school to activities such as volunteer service, research, athletics, student government and family obligations.
http://medicine.utah.edu/admissions/criteria/index.htm
 
Do we have to use full sentences under description? or should we just list things?

and also if we volunteered/shadowed for like a week, but we can only put it in months... what do we put for hours per week? should i divide it up or put the hour i worked for that week?

1. I think its just your preference. I've heard of ppl doing it both ways. i;m personally writing sentences.

2. You can put 1 month, put the hours u actually worked and then in the description you can mention how you worked 1 week. I dont see whats wrong with doing that.
 
You must have been VERY part time. 1000 hours is only 20 hours a week for one year. Your experience at the center for the mentally handicapped is commendable, but nearly everyone will have such experiences. I worked in a hospital for 3 years for 20 hours/week=3000 hrs work and clinical experience. In my honest opinion, I think that your experience, in terms of hours, is below average. I wouldn't bother shooting for cali schools or an Ivy (unless that includes your state schools) before getting your MCAT score. Average MCAT scores for those schools is in excess of 32 or so, the MSAR could tell you more specifically. Study hard, take the MCAT, then come back with that.

I don't mean to sound stand-offish, but what have you been doing with yourself? It took you 8 years to total 1000 hours at work? 8.5 years to total 700 hours volunteering? Applicants can, and do, total more than those hours in a year, easily.

Well way to be a debbie-downer! First, your part-time work in the hospital is NOT average -- most pre-meds don't have that, so that's a plus for you but certainly not a negative for the OP. Second, I really hope the OP's hours are above average, because I certainly don't have 700 hours!

OP: Just wanted to give you a pat on the back; it sounds like from what you say with respect to the handicapped volunteering that this might make a great part of your PS (which you've likely already written), or at least it'll prove to be a great topic during interviews. Way to go!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright, so I have a spaz question.

Does it matter that I'm only using a few hundred characters, at most, to describe these activities? I feel like any more and I'll be obviously BSing. They give SO much room, though, the annoying voice in my head is saying that only a few little bullet points makes it look like I didn't care that much about the activity or something.
 
I took a 2 credit Bio499 course at my university's research lab where I worked about 12 hours a week.
I was wondering is this still considered an EC?


I ask because, although my friends who went the same path as me entered it on their applications, I'm wary because it's part of my curriculum.
Research is always listed in the Experiences section under "Research" whether for credit, pay, or volunteer.
 
Does it matter that I'm only using a few hundred characters, at most, to describe these activities? I feel like any more and I'll be obviously BSing.

im in the exact same boat. my descriptions are like 150-300 characters...is this ok?
LizzieM and I are as one on this issue. Virtually always, succinct is best.

Look at this logically. An adcomm member has to plow through a large number of these applications and score them on various aspects. An adcomm person knows what physician specialists do and don't need it spelled out as to what you saw when shadowing. They know what waitpersons do, what RAs, retail salespersons, committee members, most clubs, hospital volunteers, etc, do. They don't need a lot of detail. Their eyes will glaze over if they have to look at endless flowery descriptions. So then they are forced to skim, looking for the meat buried in the fluff.

You don't want to bore an adcomm. If they are bored, they might miss something important.

Some people's personalities are best expressed with lots of description. Some activities need more description. But in general, I would plea that you try to keep down the verbiage. I would propose that this week of the year, when many are filling out the Experiences section, should be called "Be Kind to Adcomms Week" to remind everyone to be succinct.

So IMO you guys are doing it right.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.