How should letters of recommendation sound?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have found myself picking two people who both know me very well, and at the same time, can provide the adcoms with some very unique views of myself outside of school.

I'm sure those that have read my previous threads have heard this stuff, but anyway, the two are 1) US Army senior officer, 2) Scientific and Rescue Diving Instructor.

Of course i have others letter of rec (5) that encompass the important points (professors, MD's, etc) so no worries there. I'm curious as to what these two people should write? I am unsure if they have had experience with writing letters of rec, let alone ones to medical schools. The reason why i chose these two were due to my long and close relationship with these guys, and they inspired, and witnessed my creativity and leadership skills when applied to many situations. Additionally they would make very unique letters to have.

Their letters of rec would also echo what i said in my personal statement as well as extracurriculars on the AMCAS application. So is there any set criteria for a good letter of recommendation?

Some questions that i can think of right now are:

1) Length
2) Format
3) Tone (well obviously a positive one....but...)

Anyway, i personally have never written a letter of rec myself so any help on this matter would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by relentless11

Some questions that i can think of right now are:

1) Length
2) Format
3) Tone (well obviously a positive one....but...)

Anyway, i personally have never written a letter of rec myself so any help on this matter would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Length should be 1-2 pages because no one has time to read a book. Two pages is already a long letter.

Format should be:

1) Introduction to describe the writer's relationship with you. The writer should address how long and to what extent has been your relationship, e.g. "I've been Andrew's clinical instructor for 2 years..." Also it should be stated why the letter is written, e.g. medical school application, scholarship, residency, etc...

2) Statement of how you compare to other students they've worked with. Are you the best ever? Are you in the top 5%, 10%, quartile, etc...

3) Specific statements and details about your character and qualifications.

4) Closing summary.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information on how to put one of these together. Hopefully i don't have to provide much input for these guys to write it. Thanks again!

This was helpful for me too :) I have to get working on an LoR for someone I taught as a TA last year. Luckily, one of the head instructors is used to writing them, so I just have to give her all the info I can think of and she'll take care of the rest