Old letters of recommendation issue - LOR expiry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StressfulMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went through my university's committee process last year, and they wrote me a letter that is dated 2023. Their letter packet includes letters from all my letter-writers, also all dated 2023.

However, I am applying in 2025, and I understand that LORs >1 year old either expire or lose their value somehow? (Correct me if I'm wrong). My writers wrote letters based on great interactions I had with them well before (and since) 2023 anyways.

In any case, I brought up this concern with my undergrad and they were happy to write a cover letter (dated the year I will apply, 2025) reflecting my most recent ECs, accomplishments, and an additional LOR from my current clinical supervisor also. So my question is: Will this cover letter allay any concerns related to my letter packet being 2 years old? It also will have been 5 gap years by the time I apply next year. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Always ask the schools.

In my opinion, this isn't the proper mindset. We want attestations from those who have supervised or observed your maturation of academic or pre-professional competencies. The more recent the observations, the more relevant they can be for our evaluation.

I prefer at least one of your letters to be dated to reflect the current application cycle. For schools that require professor letters, ask the professors to re-date the letters. I wouldn't expect there to be a substantial update to what they wrote, so as long as they kept a copy of your letter, this shouldn't be a problem.

If you have a committee letter, ask them what they do. Some will re-date the institutional letter. Others will put in a cover letter addendum, but the date will reflect the current cycle.

If you have been doing something over the last year and have a supervisor letter, you can include it, and to me that "updates" your letters even if they are sent separate from your other letters.

Always ask the schools.

In my opinion, this isn't the proper mindset. We want attestations from those who have supervised or observed your maturation of academic or pre-professional competencies. The more recent the observations, the more relevant they can be for our evaluation.

I prefer at least one of your letters to be dated to reflect the current application cycle. For schools that require professor letters, ask the professors to re-date the letters. I wouldn't expect there to be a substantial update to what they wrote, so as long as they kept a copy of your letter, this shouldn't be a problem.

If you have a committee letter, ask them what they do. Some will re-date the institutional letter. Others will put in a cover letter addendum, but the date will reflect the current cycle.

If you have been doing something over the last year and have a supervisor letter, you can include it, and to me that "updates" your letters even if they are sent separate from your other letters.

Thank you—yes, my undergrad is of the type that adds an addendum to their original cover letter reflecting the date of the application cycle (as well as recent achievements highlighted by a max of 2 new LoR’s).

In my case, then, I am guessing I would have to ask all my letter writers to re-date their letters and send them to my undergrad’s committee again? I’m not even sure the committee would include them in their original packet. My problem is that all my LORs are tied and in the possession of my school's committee, so I do not have them stored in a place like Interfolio or anything

And when I ask the schools, do I ask them if older letters are problematic in the context of the recent addendum?

EDIT: Never mind, I see you said that newer letters "update" the other ones, even though they have been sent separately--makes sense to me

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user