Letters of Recommendation help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TroubledKing1

Reaction score
Hi, I’m making a school list and I’m seeing different schools require 2 science faculty letters while others ask for one. In your opinion, how strict are these rules/should I post on the specific schools subreddit?

I have one letter from a science teacher, physician, and volunteer coordinator so I’m wondering is it even worth applying to these schools where I don’t meet the requirement for letters? Is there leniency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I’m making a school list and I’m seeing different schools require 2 science faculty letters while others ask for one. In your opinion, how strict are these rules/should I post on the specific schools subreddit?

I have one letter from a science teacher, physician, and volunteer coordinator so I’m wondering is it even worth applying to these schools where I don’t meet the requirement for letters? Is there leniency?
In general if you don't meet their requirements it gets harder to do; that's why most pre-health advisors recommend 2 science faculty as part of your letter packet. Is there anyone else you could ask?

Reactions: 1 users
Physician letters aren't worth much to MD admission committees unless the physician was your PI or your employer. Volunteer coordinators are worth even less.

Committees are looking for how you perform in the classroom, at the bench (if the school puts a big emphasis on research), and in general as a member of the campus community (helpful, cordial, honest, trustworthy, a team player, a leader).

If you are at a huge school with hundreds of students in your weed-out classes, it is best to ask faculty in upper level classes that are a bit smaller.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In general if you don't meet their requirements it gets harder to do; that's why most pre-health advisors recommend 2 science faculty as part of your letter packet. Is there anyone else you could ask?
Hi, issue is I've been out of school for three years and I don't hold the same relationships with my teachers. Furthermore, my undergraduate school doesn't give letter packets 1 year post graduation. I have looked at all DO schools in America and I should be fine for 40/64 schools but the other 24 have that 2 science faculty requirement. Realistically, I'm going to apply to 30 or so of those schools. I was also thinking should I call these other 24 schools and see if I can substitute letters or not. Maybe I need to hire an advisor to see what schools are best for me. I would appreciate some advice and sorry for the word storm!

Hi, issue is I've been out of school for three years and I don't hold the same relationships with my teachers. Furthermore, my undergraduate school doesn't give letter packets 1 year post graduation. I have looked at all DO schools in America and I should be fine for 40/64 schools but the other 24 have that 2 science faculty requirement. Realistically, I'm going to apply to 30 or so of those schools. I was also thinking should I call these other 24 schools and see if I can substitute letters or not. Maybe I need to hire an advisor to see what schools are best for me. I would appreciate some advice and sorry for the word storm!
It doesn't hurt to try but I see what you mean. Doesn't hurt to call admissions offices and find out.

Reactions: 1 user
I would also add that faculty don't forget students as quickly as you might think. It can't hurt to write to a professor, remind the professor of the course title and time (e.g. Fall Semester 2021) and that you particularly enjoyed xyz. (or found it useful in subsequent classes). If you frequently attended office hours or had more frequent encounters with the professor other than the classroom, note that in your letter. Include the AMCAS guidelines for letters and ask if the faculty member could perhaps write a strong letter in support of your application for medical school.

I would also add that faculty don't forget students as quickly as you might think. It can't hurt to write to a professor, remind the professor of the course title and time (e.g. Fall Semester 2021) and that you particularly enjoyed xyz. (or found it useful in subsequent classes). If you frequently attended office hours or had more frequent encounters with the professor other than the classroom, note that in your letter. Include the AMCAS guidelines for letters and ask if the faculty member could perhaps write a strong letter in support of your application for medical school.
Hi, I ended up asking every single science teacher I took and most didn't respond (also sent follow-up emails). I'm kind of in an odd situation because I made a lot of A's but with my poor luck, these professors don't teach there anymore (one of them who does teach there flat out told me no lol). I've noticed that the OOS DO schools are giving me a much harder time with letters of rec rather than the OOS MD/In state MD/DOs (I have the green light for all in-state schools). I managed to call all the other OOS DO schools that I might have potential issues with today and a small handful told me I could sub a volunteer coordinator letter for that second science letter but most said no.

Use the list provided by Goro. Based on your WAMC, most MD schools are unlikely to consider you with your TX residency and where your GPA is around. For DO, if most of the ones suggested to you are fine with your current letters, there is no need to worry any more about this.