You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Texas Tech Pharmacy Class of 2018
Started by maira1390
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey guys! I made this thread for all those who will be applying to texas tech this year. Is anyone going to be applying through the early decision program for tech?
Not sure yet, I am debating. I will do early decision for one of the Texas Schools that I am applying to. Not sure which one yet. Where all are you applying to?
Hi! I applied last year and interviewed this January, but I had to defer. I love Tech, and even though I won't be going until next fall, I keep up with some of the people I met online that are going this fall.
I can't wait for next fall to get here.
I can't wait for next fall to get here.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck everyone! I'm still an incoming P1 so I can't answer any questions on classes, but I can help out on the application process!
My first preference is tech.. I will be taking my pcat in july so im just getting ready for that..i heard the early decision is best to apply to because the school tends to accept alot of people from the early decision pool.. Ill go ahead and post my stats and if you guys want you can do the same too.
Pre req GPA- 3.3 ( i still have some more classes to take so it should hopefully go higher)
Pcat- in july
Work experience- certified tech at cvs and costco for about 2 years total. Extracurricular- Shadowed at hospital, nuclear and compunding pharmacies
Im using the dr collins packet, kaplan 2013-2014 and reas interactive flashcards. I have bought the 3 pearson tests but I havent taken them yet. I feel like i should only take them when im completely ready .. I dont know :/
Pre req GPA- 3.3 ( i still have some more classes to take so it should hopefully go higher)
Pcat- in july
Work experience- certified tech at cvs and costco for about 2 years total. Extracurricular- Shadowed at hospital, nuclear and compunding pharmacies
Im using the dr collins packet, kaplan 2013-2014 and reas interactive flashcards. I have bought the 3 pearson tests but I havent taken them yet. I feel like i should only take them when im completely ready .. I dont know :/
My first preference is tech.. I will be taking my pcat in july so im just getting ready for that..i heard the early decision is best to apply to because the school tends to accept alot of people from the early decision pool.. Ill go ahead and post my stats and if you guys want you can do the same too.
Pre req GPA- 3.3 ( i still have some more classes to take so it should hopefully go higher)
Pcat- in july
Work experience- certified tech at cvs and costco for about 2 years total. Extracurricular- Shadowed at hospital, nuclear and compunding pharmacies
Im using the dr collins packet, kaplan 2013-2014 and reas interactive flashcards. I have bought the 3 pearson tests but I havent taken them yet. I feel like i should only take them when im completely ready .. I dont know :/
My first preference is really anywhere in Texas, I am from the Houston area. I just really want to stay in the state.
Pre req GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 2.8 (not great)
PCAT: Took it a couple of times before, each time I scored above 60. Hoping to score over 80 this time.
Work Experience: Pharmacy Tech at Kroger since last March. Volunteered at the inpatient and outpatient pharmacy at MD Anderson for 2 years.
I am just using the Dr. Collins packet to study and also watching videos on Khanacademy.org of each subject. Really helpful. I bought the 3 pearson tests also, i took one of them and scored a 73. You should just take one test right now to see how you are as far as studying goes, and whatever subject you score low in focus on that a little bit more. I scored lowest in the chemistry section so I am trying to focus a little more on that.
Hopefully we all can help each other with the application process! It would be cool if all of us get into Tech together!!!!
Ya you are right. Ill take it this weekend to see where I stand as of right now. As far as your gpa goes, do you have any classes you can take to boost your science gpa? Tech replaces grades so you can retake any classes that you didn't do well in and they will only look at your newest grade and count that for your gpa.
I finished with all of my pre-reqs but I am going to retake a couple of classes this coming fall to get higher grades in them. I have 2 science classes that I got C's in that I am going to retake. Shouldn't be too bad. I just want to get this PCAT over with! Crunch time! We got this!
Maira! I can't send you anymore messages, your inbox is full! Delete some messages!
@romylove and @The Recover, did y'all apply with early decision for Tech? Where all did y'all apply for pharmacy school?
We both applied regular. The Recoverer is from out of state, but chose Tech over in-state school. Tech is the only place I applied. I thought over my options, and for me it came down to Tech and UT. I visited the UT campus and loved it and Austin, but when it came down to it, Tech won me over completely. I know current and former students, and no one I met who has gone there has had anything bad to say.
Tech really is like a family. The staff know every student, and they really make a point to get to know everyone. One of the teachers I met even said that if she ran into you outside of class on your birthday, she would buy you dinner. It was a thing she was known for. There was great chemistry between all of the students I saw, and everyone really seemed to get along, and even take little fun jabs at each other.
Tech definitely takes a lot into consideration when choosing who they accept, and they're definitely looking at more than your grades. They're looking for people who will melt into the existing population and keep their great-big-family vibe going. And that's a pretty good thing, because if you're going to be in classes with these people (and probably living next door to some of them) for 2 or 4 years, you want to have as little strife as humanly possible. Plus, it's a bit of an intensive program, so less stress in that part of your life could end up being a godsend when you're feeling the crush of exams.
Tech really is like a family. The staff know every student, and they really make a point to get to know everyone. One of the teachers I met even said that if she ran into you outside of class on your birthday, she would buy you dinner. It was a thing she was known for. There was great chemistry between all of the students I saw, and everyone really seemed to get along, and even take little fun jabs at each other.
Tech definitely takes a lot into consideration when choosing who they accept, and they're definitely looking at more than your grades. They're looking for people who will melt into the existing population and keep their great-big-family vibe going. And that's a pretty good thing, because if you're going to be in classes with these people (and probably living next door to some of them) for 2 or 4 years, you want to have as little strife as humanly possible. Plus, it's a bit of an intensive program, so less stress in that part of your life could end up being a godsend when you're feeling the crush of exams.
Thank you so much for the explanation. I really appreciate that alot. I will for sure look into Tech. I didn't really know much about early decision but it sounds like a very good option. Thank you romylove for your explanation.
I am applying through the early decision program as well.
@romylove and @The Recover, did y'all apply with early decision for Tech? Where all did y'all apply for pharmacy school?
Yeah both Romylove and I applied around the same time and kept each other updated! It's really important for everyone in here to share info as they find out about deadlines, etc. I'm pretty busy this summer so I havnt been on here as much, but if yall have any questions regarding the supplemental and the tech app process, ill try my best to answer!
my Tech calculated GPA was a 3.015
PCAT highest was a 76
3ish years of tech exp.
2 LORs for pharmacists, 1 from ochem prof
Also hit up the link below in my sig for additional info on tech
Yes, I'm applying for early admission and I'm really excited about the possibility of attending Texas Tech Pharmacy School. I went to Amarillo last week to visit with the admissions people and tour the pharmacy school and I was blown away with the facilities. Good luck to everyone applying! I hope to see you all there fall 2014!Hey guys! I made this thread for all those who will be applying to texas tech this year. Is anyone going to be applying through the early decision program for tech?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My first preference is tech.. I will be taking my pcat in july so im just getting ready for that..i heard the early decision is best to apply to because the school tends to accept alot of people from the early decision pool.. Ill go ahead and post my stats and if you guys want you can do the same too.
Pre req GPA- 3.3 ( i still have some more classes to take so it should hopefully go higher)
Pcat- in july
Work experience- certified tech at cvs and costco for about 2 years total. Extracurricular- Shadowed at hospital, nuclear and compunding pharmacies
Im using the dr collins packet, kaplan 2013-2014 and reas interactive flashcards. I have bought the 3 pearson tests but I havent taken them yet. I feel like i should only take them when im completely ready .. I dont know :/
My pre-req GPA will be a 3.56 after these summer terms. I'm also taking the PCAT in july. I'm using Dr. Collins study guide as my main source to study. Extracurricular- Shadowed in a clinical and compounding pharmacies so far. I have no work experience in the pharmaceutical field.
I just found it so hard to find time to study for the PCAT. When I'm not working, I'm studying for my summer classes. When I'm not doing that I'm working on my PS or supplemental essays. It doesn't help much that our application are due early either.
I just need a break!
Trying to keep the thread alive! It left the first page so I had to bump it
I don't have a first preference but I will be applying to tech, UTA and A&M. My GPA is a 4.0 and PCAT 89. I have been a tech with walmart for about 3 years. I am part of my school's pre-pharmacy organization and have some volunteering hours. I am VERY nervous about my interview. I know that no matter how good my application looks I cannot be admitted if my interview goes wrong. Any tips would be great. Hopefully I can make some friends here as well.
I don't have a first preference but I will be applying to tech, UTA and A&M. My GPA is a 4.0 and PCAT 89. I have been a tech with walmart for about 3 years. I am part of my school's pre-pharmacy organization and have some volunteering hours. I am VERY nervous about my interview. I know that no matter how good my application looks I cannot be admitted if my interview goes wrong. Any tips would be great. Hopefully I can make some friends here as well.
The career center at my university offer mocks interviews for pharmacy school. If your school offers it, you should definitely give it a shot. They'll help you in anyways possible.
Last edited:
I am going to be a P1 this fall at Tech. Their personal interview is all behavioral based questions (tell me about a time...), with the exception of asking about you and how you became interested in pharmacy. You will also have a chance to ask questions about the school at the end of the interview.I don't have a first preference but I will be applying to tech, UTA and A&M. My GPA is a 4.0 and PCAT 89. I have been a tech with walmart for about 3 years. I am part of my school's pre-pharmacy organization and have some volunteering hours. I am VERY nervous about my interview. I know that no matter how good my application looks I cannot be admitted if my interview goes wrong. Any tips would be great. Hopefully I can make some friends here as well.
I am going to be a P1 this fall at Tech. Their personal interview is all behavioral based questions (tell me about a time...), with the exception of asking about you and how you became interested in pharmacy. You will also have a chance to ask questions about the school at the end of the interview.
Hey if you don't mind could you post your pre-req gpa, pcat score and possibly some background info (extra curricular/experience)? It'll help out prospective students like myself compare and determine our chances!
Has anyone taking the Pcat. Plus how are you studying for it.
I am taking the PCAT on the 18th. I'm using Dr. Collins study guide and the Kaplan book.
Hey if you don't mind could you post your pre-req gpa, pcat score and possibly some background info (extra curricular/experience)? It'll help out prospective students like myself compare and determine our chances!
My final prereq GPA was around a 3.1, but when tech evaluated my application I had around a 3.6 (it was a rough year). I had a PCAT composite of a 72, and I was a part of my university's prepharm organization. I also have 2 and 1/2 years of experience as a tech in a hospital setting.
My final prereq GPA was around a 3.1, but when tech evaluated my application I had around a 3.6 (it was a rough year). I had a PCAT composite of a 72, and I was a part of my university's prepharm organization. I also have 2 and 1/2 years of experience as a tech in a hospital setting.
My gpa will be around that range after this summer. I'm hoping for a 70-80 on my pcat. I don't have however any work experience in the field. Only shadowing opportunities, I just never had the time for a tech job. Hopefully everything goes well though!
I think my GPA from PharmCAS was like a 3.15 or something like that, but from Tech it was like a 3.3. I had an 83 composite on my PCAT. I didn't use anything special to study, just notes from chem 1 and 2 (I hadn't taken organic before the PCAT), bio 1 and 2, studied sig codes and drugs.
I had been working at a CVS for 10 months as of the time of my interview. I have since quit that job and moved on to mail order. Much less stressful. I think the strongest point for me though was that I worked at a group home for mentally disabled adults for 2 years, and part of my responsibilities included taking care of their medications.
I had intended to apply Early Decision, but I had trouble getting my debit card to process (I was using the wrong billing address). So I applied a little later than intended, got a first round interview, and joined dozens of other people in agonizing for weeks over what the result would be.
But apparently they used to do the interview day (and yes, it is an entire day, like 8am-3pm) opposite of how it is now. They used to do all the tours and Q&As early, and make the interview be the last thing. But they switched it, which I think is great, because it lets you get the stressful part out of the way early on, and then you can really enjoy the tour and socializing with the other applicants.
I had been working at a CVS for 10 months as of the time of my interview. I have since quit that job and moved on to mail order. Much less stressful. I think the strongest point for me though was that I worked at a group home for mentally disabled adults for 2 years, and part of my responsibilities included taking care of their medications.
I had intended to apply Early Decision, but I had trouble getting my debit card to process (I was using the wrong billing address). So I applied a little later than intended, got a first round interview, and joined dozens of other people in agonizing for weeks over what the result would be.
But apparently they used to do the interview day (and yes, it is an entire day, like 8am-3pm) opposite of how it is now. They used to do all the tours and Q&As early, and make the interview be the last thing. But they switched it, which I think is great, because it lets you get the stressful part out of the way early on, and then you can really enjoy the tour and socializing with the other applicants.
I think my GPA from PharmCAS was like a 3.15 or something like that, but from Tech it was like a 3.3. I had an 83 composite on my PCAT. I didn't use anything special to study, just notes from chem 1 and 2 (I hadn't taken organic before the PCAT), bio 1 and 2, studied sig codes and drugs.
I had been working at a CVS for 10 months as of the time of my interview. I have since quit that job and moved on to mail order. Much less stressful. I think the strongest point for me though was that I worked at a group home for mentally disabled adults for 2 years, and part of my responsibilities included taking care of their medications.
I had intended to apply Early Decision, but I had trouble getting my debit card to process (I was using the wrong billing address). So I applied a little later than intended, got a first round interview, and joined dozens of other people in agonizing for weeks over what the result would be.
But apparently they used to do the interview day (and yes, it is an entire day, like 8am-3pm) opposite of how it is now. They used to do all the tours and Q&As early, and make the interview be the last thing. But they switched it, which I think is great, because it lets you get the stressful part out of the way early on, and then you can really enjoy the tour and socializing with the other applicants.
The pharmacy experience comes a long way, I just wish I had time for it. The fact that you didn't have organic chemistry before the PCAT is reassuring for myself. I just finished my first year as an undergraduate and won't have it before the test as well. I'm just hoping the ochem questions are really easy or there aren't many of them! Some of my friends went through the interview process and told me it was one heck of a day. First things first, I gotta finish my application and hope for the interview!
Hi everyone... My preference is any school in Texas ... I'm taking the July 18th PCAT. My undergrad GPA is 3.69. I av been studying with the Kaplan book... I just purchased the Pearson tests. I plan on taking d first one on Friday... Will keep u posted on how it goes..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone... My preference is any school in Texas ... I'm taking the July 18th PCAT. My undergrad GPA is 3.69. I av been studying with the Kaplan book... I just purchased the Pearson tests. I plan on taking d first one on Friday... Will keep u posted on how it goes..
You have a great GPA, just knock this PCAT and I'm sure you'll be looking at an interview. I'm taking my practice test Monday, hopefully that gives me enough time to review and gauge the last couple days of studying.
Hi, has anyone taking the Pcat plus how is it. Plus what resources used for pcat. Thanks
There are plenty of resources available for the PCAT, you just have to find one that suits your style of learning. I have been using Dr. Collin's study guide and recently grabbed a Kaplan book. So far everything is going good, but I guess I won't find out for sure until I take the test myself!
Good luck to everybody taking the PCAT this week.
it's been a while since Ive been on here. Im going to be a p1 this fall at TTUHSC so let me share some insight into the app process for all of you guys
First of all, relax!! TTUHSC is a school that focuses a lot more on the whole package deal than just your GPA and PCAT scores. This is coming from a guy who got accepted with a 2.3 Pharmcas GPA. Ill explain that later
Now some advice: Tech is rolling admissions but there admissions process works differently than the traditional rolling admissions where the first people to turn in their apps gets priority in spots. no. for tech
All app's are received and ppl sign up for interview dates. SIGN UP FOR THE EARLIEST INTERVIEW DATE. They will look over all the applications+interviews from the first couple interview dates and choose the top people from that pool. Then the next few interview dates will occur and they will look over ALL the unchosen applicants from the first interviews plus the new people that interviewed and then choose the top people from that pool. So don't feel like you have to get your application in right this second to have the best chance, because it really hinges on your interview date that determines how many times your app will be considered (assuming you get an interview).
Also TTUHSC looks primarily at your TTUHSC SUPPLEMENTAL APP GPA. On their supplemental application, you have to insert all of your pre req grades and they calculate your GPA for you. THAT is the GPA they go buy. They do not even look at your pharmcas GPA, only your pre req GPA. My undergrad GPA was very low 2.3, because I failed a lot of upper level classes. However, since these classes were not pre reqs for tech, i did NOT have to input them into the GPA calculations so my tech GPA was actually a 3.2. So bottom line! DO NOT WORRY if you made an F or a D in a 400 level class you took during your senior year cuz u had senioritis, they dont even look at taht. They just care about the grades you made in your PRE REQ classes.
If you have a GPA above a 3.0! Apply BEFORE NOVEMBER! this is the deadline for "fast track to admissions" anyone with a gpa of 3.0 or above is eligible to apply for fast track. you will know about your interview faster and also hear back sooner.
TTUHSC has one of the most laid back interviews ever! they dont ask you all the usual crap about "why you wanna be a pharmacist". They ask you 5 questions in total, and they are ALL "give me an example of a time you showed..." type of questions,. Like tell me about a time you showed leadership, tell me about a time you solved a conflict.
LAST but no least, WORK on your supplemental app essay questions early! TTUHSC has quite a long supp application, but it also gives you a lot of opportunity to truly express yourself! use it to your advantage!
To everyone! GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR!
First of all, relax!! TTUHSC is a school that focuses a lot more on the whole package deal than just your GPA and PCAT scores. This is coming from a guy who got accepted with a 2.3 Pharmcas GPA. Ill explain that later
Now some advice: Tech is rolling admissions but there admissions process works differently than the traditional rolling admissions where the first people to turn in their apps gets priority in spots. no. for tech
All app's are received and ppl sign up for interview dates. SIGN UP FOR THE EARLIEST INTERVIEW DATE. They will look over all the applications+interviews from the first couple interview dates and choose the top people from that pool. Then the next few interview dates will occur and they will look over ALL the unchosen applicants from the first interviews plus the new people that interviewed and then choose the top people from that pool. So don't feel like you have to get your application in right this second to have the best chance, because it really hinges on your interview date that determines how many times your app will be considered (assuming you get an interview).
Also TTUHSC looks primarily at your TTUHSC SUPPLEMENTAL APP GPA. On their supplemental application, you have to insert all of your pre req grades and they calculate your GPA for you. THAT is the GPA they go buy. They do not even look at your pharmcas GPA, only your pre req GPA. My undergrad GPA was very low 2.3, because I failed a lot of upper level classes. However, since these classes were not pre reqs for tech, i did NOT have to input them into the GPA calculations so my tech GPA was actually a 3.2. So bottom line! DO NOT WORRY if you made an F or a D in a 400 level class you took during your senior year cuz u had senioritis, they dont even look at taht. They just care about the grades you made in your PRE REQ classes.

If you have a GPA above a 3.0! Apply BEFORE NOVEMBER! this is the deadline for "fast track to admissions" anyone with a gpa of 3.0 or above is eligible to apply for fast track. you will know about your interview faster and also hear back sooner.
TTUHSC has one of the most laid back interviews ever! they dont ask you all the usual crap about "why you wanna be a pharmacist". They ask you 5 questions in total, and they are ALL "give me an example of a time you showed..." type of questions,. Like tell me about a time you showed leadership, tell me about a time you solved a conflict.
LAST but no least, WORK on your supplemental app essay questions early! TTUHSC has quite a long supp application, but it also gives you a lot of opportunity to truly express yourself! use it to your advantage!
To everyone! GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR!

I hope everyone that took the PCAT this week got the scores they wanted! I took it myself and I am pleased with mine. The verbal and reading comprehension got me a bit but my composite was where it needed to be.
Does anybody have a preference for Abilene vs Amarillo? I was looking at the supplemental application today and it said there are only 40 spots in Abilene. If I go to Tech, that's where I'd want to be.
Does anybody have a preference for Abilene vs Amarillo? I was looking at the supplemental application today and it said there are only 40 spots in Abilene. If I go to Tech, that's where I'd want to be.
I marked Amarillo, but I wouldn't mind attending either school. Abilene is actually closer to home for me. I think most people select Amarillo because that is the "main campus"
My preference is for Amarillo all four years. I don't really like moving.
Plus Amarillo has the School of Medicine, School of Allied Health Sciences, and School of Biomedical Sciences on one campus. Abilene just has the School of Nursing. There are More students at AMA, so there are more chances to network and make friends, within the SOP and with students from the other buildings. On the other hand, some people would favor the closer feeling of being in a class of 40 in ABI over 115 in AMA. AMA also has a larger population, so they'll have more amenities.
When it comes time for the Saturday labs in Lubbock, the AMA students have a shorter drive. You have to be there, prepared, at 8am. So your choices are to wake up at 5am and drive from AMA, wake up at 4am and drive from ABI, or stay in a hotel overnight.
Both campuses have classes taught by video chat, so there's not much difference there. It will really come down to which you feel will fit you best.
Plus Amarillo has the School of Medicine, School of Allied Health Sciences, and School of Biomedical Sciences on one campus. Abilene just has the School of Nursing. There are More students at AMA, so there are more chances to network and make friends, within the SOP and with students from the other buildings. On the other hand, some people would favor the closer feeling of being in a class of 40 in ABI over 115 in AMA. AMA also has a larger population, so they'll have more amenities.
When it comes time for the Saturday labs in Lubbock, the AMA students have a shorter drive. You have to be there, prepared, at 8am. So your choices are to wake up at 5am and drive from AMA, wake up at 4am and drive from ABI, or stay in a hotel overnight.
Both campuses have classes taught by video chat, so there's not much difference there. It will really come down to which you feel will fit you best.
My preference is for Amarillo all four years. I don't really like moving.
Plus Amarillo has the School of Medicine, School of Allied Health Sciences, and School of Biomedical Sciences on one campus. Abilene just has the School of Nursing. There are More students at AMA, so there are more chances to network and make friends, within the SOP and with students from the other buildings. On the other hand, some people would favor the closer feeling of being in a class of 40 in ABI over 115 in AMA. AMA also has a larger population, so they'll have more amenities.
When it comes time for the Saturday labs in Lubbock, the AMA students have a shorter drive. You have to be there, prepared, at 8am. So your choices are to wake up at 5am and drive from AMA, wake up at 4am and drive from ABI, or stay in a hotel overnight.
Both campuses have classes taught by video chat, so there's not much difference there. It will really come down to which you feel will fit you best.
They cancelled the Saturday labs in Lubbock. Everyone has a virtual A&P lab at their home campus this semester.
Woah! They had it on this semester's schedule! When did they change it?
Interesting. I would have preferred to go and actually see the cadavers. Nothing quite like some up-close-and-personal to help you learn. But you'll have to tell me how that goes.
I wouldn't mind jumping back to Lubbock every Saturday at all! I'm actually an undergraduate at texas tech right now. It would've been a nice way to get back in town!
Spent quite a bit of time yesterday and today filling out my applications again (since I deferred, I need to resubmit both).
But they're almost done!
But they're almost done!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this school has extremely low out-of-state student acceptance rate.. I'm afraid of applying here due to that reason.. 🙁
The Recoverer was from out of state! Read his posts above. Really, the only thing it will cost you is the application fees. It's a great school.
this school has extremely low out-of-state student acceptance rate.. I'm afraid of applying here due to that reason.. 🙁
Apply for the early decision program!
The Recoverer was from out of state! Read his posts above. Really, the only thing it will cost you is the application fees. It's a great school.
yes I know that too. but i'm still on decision. Thank you for suggestion though!!
Hey incoming P1s 🙂
I am here to answer any questions you may have! I am currently a P3 in the dual degree PharmD/MBA program. I wanted to post here and see who's the incoming P1s!
Congratulations to those who have gotten into the school, hope to see few of you at the Boot/BaseCamp.
🙂
I am here to answer any questions you may have! I am currently a P3 in the dual degree PharmD/MBA program. I wanted to post here and see who's the incoming P1s!
Congratulations to those who have gotten into the school, hope to see few of you at the Boot/BaseCamp.
🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 4K