-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
For girls, what type of shoes are okay?
Started by mskccdent
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Heels for the lesser tall. Flats for the tall. Heels for the tallest. Flats for the even lesser tall.I know a lot of girls wear heels to interviews, but I have heard there is a lot of walking and I'm not super great at walking in heels...
Is it okay to wear black (nice looking) heels to interviews?
Would that be okay or too informal?
Visuals? Overall color of attire?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go with heels.I'm wearing a pencil skirt, navy blue skirtsuit.
I'm 5'6-ish.
I'm worried whether wearing flats will be interpreted as "not professional"?
Something more like this?
Also, what's the climate like at the place you're scheduled to interview at?
Warm weather? Go for the sheath.....Yeah I figured heels are probably better. it's pretty warm I think so I guess heels are better. Thanks!!
.....to conceptually appear like this:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-workday-dresses?origin=leftnav
And if it's chilly, then throw on a petite cardigan or jacket to conceptually appear like this:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/womens-c...ite-jackets-&-blazers-_-120_Jackets-&-Blazers
Also, I think clutches complement the entire attire quite well.
http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/handbags/clutches-evening-bags
Definitely maintain a formal overall look with the complete attire.🙂
Last edited:
I think your navy skirt suit with heels will be perfect. Wearing a dress might stick out a bit, the suit is considered more professional/conservative...which sucks because dresses are way cuter, but that's the way it is. If anybody does wear a dress, ABSOLUTELY wear something over it. Bare shoulders is a no-no.
Are you 100% sure on that? 😉I think your navy skirt suit with heels will be perfect. Wearing a dress might stick out a bit, the suit is considered more professional/conservative...which sucks because dresses are way cuter, but that's the way it is. If anybody does wear a dress, ABSOLUTELY wear something over it. Bare shoulders is a no-no.
Are you 100% sure on that?
Actually yes. Especially the bare shoulders...it's no big deal to us but in a formal interview setting its kinda inappropriate. Regarding dresses: I didn't say they were bad but they will stick out. If you want to express your individuality like that its your choice but not something I would do. It's better to stand out with your personality than to be distracting with your clothes. Trust me, I love to stand out, I used to have a pink streak in my hair during my college days, but I am so glad I wore a suit to my interview.
For the shoes issue, I have heard of people bringing a pair of nice flats to change into during the tour, but that seems risky to me - what if they don't have a place to leave your heels? Do you really have time to change? Do you really want to attract attention to yourself?
So, bottom line, I would wear something that you can walk around in. If you have experience walking in heels, go for it...if you don't, that's something to keep in mind BEFORE you break your ankle on the ice in Minnesota in the winter...just as you probably ought to think ahead and tailor the weight of your outfit/coat to the weather.
Furthermore, the MOST important thing is to wear something that you can feel confident in. You should not be thinking about your shoes on interview day. Your interviewer should also not be thinking about your shoes. Unless perhaps your shoes want to go to med school, and are really just using you as a convenient ride to the top (but probably not). So if you are inexperienced and uncomfortable in heels, either practice in them or avoid them.
My personal plan is to find some professional shoes with a nice shape and a slight platform heel - 1 or 1.5in - but not a traditional 'heel' shape.
I am very uncomfortable in heels though, and actually look like I am on the verge of breaking 2 ankles and a knee at all times while attempting to walk in them. Seriously, I tried them on in a store once and my mom took a video of me to send to her friends so they could die laughing.
As for the dress/skirt thing: honestly, I would go with a suit look. The other looks nice, but there is more variation and therefore, inevitably, less consensus on what the 'right' look is. If there's a look you KNOW is acceptable to everyone vs a look that is acceptable to most, awesome! to some, and no. to others, why take that risk? PLUS, then you have to worry about which hose/leggings to wear under it (bare legs are usually seen as unprofessional), it's harder to match shoes, and you're almost condemned to wearing heels.
seems like extra hassle for no guaranteed benefit...other than looking kick-ass! And hey, if that makes you interview better, go for it. If you are unsure about anything, it might hamper your mojo, so go conservative.
Your clothes shouldn't be projecting your personality on interview day, you should be. Pick the outfit that allows you to do that to the fullest without distractions (visually or comfort-wise) or sending its own signals. Then again, you pick your clothes, so if you are confident in your ability to project the image you want, go for it!
So, bottom line, I would wear something that you can walk around in. If you have experience walking in heels, go for it...if you don't, that's something to keep in mind BEFORE you break your ankle on the ice in Minnesota in the winter...just as you probably ought to think ahead and tailor the weight of your outfit/coat to the weather.
Furthermore, the MOST important thing is to wear something that you can feel confident in. You should not be thinking about your shoes on interview day. Your interviewer should also not be thinking about your shoes. Unless perhaps your shoes want to go to med school, and are really just using you as a convenient ride to the top (but probably not). So if you are inexperienced and uncomfortable in heels, either practice in them or avoid them.
My personal plan is to find some professional shoes with a nice shape and a slight platform heel - 1 or 1.5in - but not a traditional 'heel' shape.
I am very uncomfortable in heels though, and actually look like I am on the verge of breaking 2 ankles and a knee at all times while attempting to walk in them. Seriously, I tried them on in a store once and my mom took a video of me to send to her friends so they could die laughing.As for the dress/skirt thing: honestly, I would go with a suit look. The other looks nice, but there is more variation and therefore, inevitably, less consensus on what the 'right' look is. If there's a look you KNOW is acceptable to everyone vs a look that is acceptable to most, awesome! to some, and no. to others, why take that risk? PLUS, then you have to worry about which hose/leggings to wear under it (bare legs are usually seen as unprofessional), it's harder to match shoes, and you're almost condemned to wearing heels.
seems like extra hassle for no guaranteed benefit...other than looking kick-ass! And hey, if that makes you interview better, go for it. If you are unsure about anything, it might hamper your mojo, so go conservative.Your clothes shouldn't be projecting your personality on interview day, you should be. Pick the outfit that allows you to do that to the fullest without distractions (visually or comfort-wise) or sending its own signals. Then again, you pick your clothes, so if you are confident in your ability to project the image you want, go for it!
Last edited:
In other cultures and belief systems it is of course unacceptable to expose his/her hair let alone skin, so I understand that. For those out there, I apologize for my personal bias there.Actually yes.
And that was why I had ask what the climate was like. I like to feel comfortable at all times, especially during the interview. Just F.Y.I., there are people out there who wear strapless blouses to their interview. I personally would not go strapless. Ugh!Especially the bare shoulders...it's no big deal to us but in a formal interview setting its kinda inappropriate.
I never said you did.Regarding dresses: I didn't say they were bad but they will stick out.
To his/her own preferences. I personally and certainly would though.🙂If you want to express your individuality like that its your choice but not something I would do.
Sure one may argue that clothes does not make the individual. But it is just as equally arguable that clothes can/may superficially define an individual in the effigy of presenting his/herself in the utmost, professional, accurate manner possible at the interview. In the end, you're going to have to demonstrate/defend what you placed on your application and on yourself.It's better to stand out with your personality than to be distracting with your clothes.
I remember reading a journal/article/news-source pertaining to patient-doctor relationship in which patients who shared basic commonality i.e. interpersonal, appearance, ideology, beliefs, philosophy and/or etc. as their doctors were more likely to have a trusting relationship. I'll come back when I find these journal/article/news-source.
I like to stand out as well. Yeah.... pink is one of my more favorite shades of red, but I like blue more though.😛Trust me, I love to stand out, I used to have a pink streak in my hair during my college days,
Well that's 👍 for you.🙂but I am so glad I wore a suit to my interview.
Sure one may argue that clothes does not make the individual. But it is just as equally arguable that clothes can/may superficially define an individual in the effigy of presenting his/herself in the utmost, professional, accurate manner possible at the interview.
That is an excellent point, and I have edited my prior post to reflect that...I personally do not have enough confidence in my fashion sense to make a statement without it affecting my interviewing/social skills...but that doesn't mean you can't make a statement with your clothing to good effect, just that I wouldn't risk it without past experience doing so.
What do you guys think about having a Navy Blue suit with a cream top and tan pencil skirt and heels? Would that be considered too casual for interviews?
Will you feel more comfortable and more confident to accurately, professionally present/showcase yourself in that outfit to the bureaucrats?What do you guys think about having a Navy Blue suit with a cream top and tan pencil skirt and heels? Would that be considered too casual for interviews?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can i wear flats if i'm almost 5'8? i stick out so much in heels 

can i wear flats if i'm almost 5'8? i stick out so much in heels![]()
I wore flats to all of my interviews (i am 5'8)

can i wear flats if i'm almost 5'8? i stick out so much in heels![]()
I'm having the same dilemma. Plus, I cannot wear heels to save my life. So even though, heels look better in my opinion, I'm leaning towards flats so I don't attract weird stares lol
I am 5'6 and wore flats because I didn't want to limp around in heels. I saw loads of other ladies in heels too. Imo, they really will not care whether you wear heels or flats.
don't worry about it. I saw plenty of women wearing flats to the interview. Even the associate dean was wearing flats with her suit during her presentation.
Its not about what you wear to a certain extent. Its just about looking clean and sharp. Just make sure your flats are nice and not too flashy and you will be all good.
Its not about what you wear to a certain extent. Its just about looking clean and sharp. Just make sure your flats are nice and not too flashy and you will be all good.
don't worry about it. I saw plenty of women wearing flats to the interview. Even the associate dean was wearing flats with her suit during her presentation.
Its not about what you wear to a certain extent. Its just about looking clean and sharp. Just make sure your flats are nice and not too flashy and you will be all good.
would you say flats with any stones/rhinestones in the front are too unprofessional?
Yes.would you say flats with any stones/rhinestones in the front are too unprofessional?
FWIW I'm a short girl and I wore flats with not issue, I got accepted to every school I interviewed at despite my choice in foot ware.
Go for a more muted, conservative style of dress in general and you will be fine.
Yes.
FWIW I'm a short girl and I wore flats with not issue, I got accepted to every school I interviewed at despite my choice in foot ware.
Go for a more muted, conservative style of dress in general and you will be fine.
congrats!!! and thank you 🙂
my heels were 3inches and it was fine. I even think I saw one girl wearing hella high borderline stripper heels but she walked in them fine and it was hardly noticeable cause her pants covered most of her shoes. But I wouldn't recommend it. I would say 3 or below?Is 3-5 in heels too much? They are comfortable and I do not have 1 in heels
Also, after having done a couple interviews, I now realize that appearance doesn't matter that much. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't spent so much time obsessing over what clothing items to wear because quite honestly I don't even think the admissions committee/interviewer cares as long as you're not obviously a slob or dressed inappropriately.
my heels were 3inches and it was fine. I even think I saw one girl wearing hella high borderline stripper heels but she walked in them fine and it was hardly noticeable cause her pants covered most of her shoes. But I wouldn't recommend it. I would say 3 or below?
Also, after having done a couple interviews, I now realize that appearance doesn't matter that much. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't spent so much time obsessing over what clothing items to wear because quite honestly I don't even think the admissions committee/interviewer cares as long as you're not obviously a slob or dressed inappropriately.
Thank you so much! It is my first time going to interview and I'm just nervous about everything.. haha
No problem 🙂Thank you so much! It is my first time going to interview and I'm just nervous about everything.. haha
Don't sweat it too much. You'll look fine no matter what you choose (unless you choose a short mini skirt + sequin green blazer) <--unfortunately something I witnessed
Is 3-5 in heels too much? They are comfortable and I do not have 1 in heels
Heals are fine if you think you can walk a mile or so in them. If you do a campus tour, do you really want to walk THAT far in heals like that. It's not so much that they are unprofessional, just uncomfortable and not practical for that kind of walking.
As long as your shoes look professional, the heel size really doesn't matter. Actual ballet flats are not professional but a flat with a 1/4" heel is fine. Rhinestones or whatever just depend on how they look. If they are subtle and classy, it's fine, but if they are more for clubbing, not so good.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
S
SXCoronado
.
Last edited by a moderator:
there was a girl in combat boots at one of my interviews. you can't go wrong apparently
But did she get an acceptance????
A huge amount of women I have seen in my interviews wear ballet flats. It's not unprofessional -- it's comfortable. No one cares anywhere. Just don't go with 4 or 5" heels because those are a pain to walk in for an hour and a half. I wear about 2.5-3" inch heels and I'm comfortable walking around during tours. You are sitting down most of the interview day anyway!
Ballet flats are not considered professional...even if a lot of people were wearing them, not to mention they really don't go well with a suit.
Honestly, I think as long as your shoes don't make you stand out, you're fine. Same goes with your outfit. I've seen by far more girls in flats at my interviews than girls in heels.
Wore ballet flats and a dress instead of a suit, got 6 acceptances. For one interview I even wore a cardigan instead of a blazer 😱 Got in there too. Wouldn't worry too much guys, there are far more things for the adcom to scrutinize besides your outfit.
Side note: interested that some people are reporting such high ballet flat sightings. I felt that I was always the only girl in flats, every time would feel briefly awkward about it but then decided that it wasn't a biggie.
Side note: interested that some people are reporting such high ballet flat sightings. I felt that I was always the only girl in flats, every time would feel briefly awkward about it but then decided that it wasn't a biggie.
A CARDIGAN? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?!Wore ballet flats and a dress instead of a suit, got 6 acceptances. For one interview I even wore a cardigan instead of a blazer 😱 Got in there too. Wouldn't worry too much guys, there are far more things for the adcom to scrutinize besides your outfit.
Side note: interested that some people are reporting such high ballet flat sightings. I felt that I was always the only girl in flats, every time would feel briefly awkward about it but then decided that it wasn't a biggie.
just kidding. I'm surprised you mostly saw heels though. Maybe it depends on location of the school. Or maybe everyone collectively decided on flats this year and I missed the memo.
Unrelated question but while we have a bunch of girls in here...what did you all do with your finger nails? I'm going to go get a manicure before my interview (so I look like I somewhat have my life together), but do you go for a color? Or get a French manicure? So many things to think about🤣
I did a pale pink sometimes and sometimes I just let my nails go naked. I think anything not too flashy is fineUnrelated question but while we have a bunch of girls in here...what did you all do with your finger nails? I'm going to go get a manicure before my interview (so I look like I somewhat have my life together), but do you go for a color? Or get a French manicure? So many things to think about🤣
I may not be Dental but..Unrelated question but while we have a bunch of girls in here...what did you all do with your finger nails? I'm going to go get a manicure before my interview (so I look like I somewhat have my life together), but do you go for a color? Or get a French manicure? So many things to think about🤣
I love French nails lol. But for my first interview, I got my nails done a very light pink, barely noticeable. My second interview, I completely forgot about my nails! I showed up with mostly bare nails while a couple of them had some left over white, chipped polish on it 😱. I tried to hide my hands the entire time lol. Needless to say, still got accepted. But I think rule of thumb is to have short, bare/natural/clear color nails. Nothing distracting.
I think heels are better.
heels give attractive personality.
Which, I am sure, would be important if you were interviewing for a beauty pageant, not a professional career.
I would go with a neutral polish. Sometimes French can look bad too, especially if your nails are long and the white is too wide (and square). Go for a nice rounded tip in a tan, light pink, etc. depending on your skin tone.
I did a pale pink sometimes and sometimes I just let my nails go naked. I think anything not too flashy is fine
Okay good call. Thanks!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 911
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 370