mt sinai vs nyu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do people think are the pros and cons of mt sinai vs nyu? are they pretty much equal schools or does one have a better rep in terms of residency matching, board scores, hospitals, etc? what about students and social lives? ive been searching past threads but can't really find anything comparing the two (ok i honestly didn't look that hard but i'm lazy so if anyone has any opinions i'd greatly appreciate it!).

i hope people don't think this is an obnoxious question...im just a terrible decision maker (and rather uninformed about this stuff) so ANY thoughts you might have on the subject will be welcomed. right now i am totally lost.

Members don't see this ad.

NYU has Bellevue, lots of money.

MSSM has financial problems but good financial aid packages for med students.

actually if you do a search on those two schools you will get a ton of information on sdn.

so you can look through other people's opinions. i think you are not getting the posts because people have talked about this a lot before and all their information is available if you just go to "search" and look for it.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by acab
NYU has Bellevue, lots of money.

MSSM has financial problems but good financial aid packages for med students.

They're ranked about the same in US News and reputations for residency matching are about the same as well. MSSM did have some financial problems but as I've heard they're getting it sorted out and moving on.

As for hospitals, Bellvue is def. a great hopsital, but Mt. Sinai is not too shabby either. Rotations are pretty good at both places and Sinai has a great rotation at Elmhurt in Queens which is a "you see everything" type of hospital due to the people who live near there. Suppossedly a great experiences.

Originally posted by facted
They're ranked about the same in US News and reputations for residency matching are about the same as well. MSSM did have some financial problems but as I've heard they're getting it sorted out and moving on.

As for hospitals, Bellvue is def. a great hopsital, but Mt. Sinai is not too shabby either. Rotations are pretty good at both places and Sinai has a great rotation at Elmhurt in Queens which is a "you see everything" type of hospital due to the people who live near there. Suppossedly a great experiences.

Sinai is still in the hole, a big hole actually. They are currently 100 million dollars in debt and they still haven't sorted it out yet according to my PI. They've done everything they can to minimize costs and have fired loads of people, but what's hurting sinai are the reduced reimbursements of Medicaid/Medicare patients by NYS. Medicaid/Medicare make up the majority of Sinai's patients. Atop of that, the insurers are sucking the life out of Sinai. What's funny is that one of the previous Presidents of Sinai ditched Sinai to become CEO of a big medical insurance company, Aetna. Heh.

http://www.aetna.com/presscenter/rowe.htm

Btw, Sinai diplomas read SINAI of NYU. So you'll graduate with a diploma reading Mount Sinai School of Medicine of NYU

NYU has a trendy location, is P/F, and has great clinical training in Bellevue hospital. Downsides are mediocre student satisfaction with med school advisors and faculty, worst top 3 choice match rate of the New York schools, and aged facilities/dorms.

Mt. Sinai is coming off the best match list in their history, has the nicest dorms of any Manhattan school, is P/F, and has a "lovey dovey" student body. Downsides are the mismanagement problems from last year (which they are *supposedly* bouncing back from) and not as cool a location as Midtown.

Use the search function, because the NYC schools have been discussed quite a bit on sdn. Either way, I don't think you could really go wrong choosing between Sinai and NYU.

tf

thanks everybody for taking the time to respond to me! you brought up some things that i will definitely keep in mind when i have to decide. i know i can't really go wrong either way, but still having to decide at all is tough. if i could attend both i would.

Go to NYU, so a spot will open up at MSSM for me :D

In all honesty though, If I got in both, I would go to NYU.

I never actually visited Sinai, but I would take NYU I'm sure of it.

exmike can i ask you why you'd pick nyu? you seem so gung-ho mt sinai that im a little curious and would like to hear your reasoning.

if you tell me maybe ill let you have my mssm spot.

Originally posted by kbear
exmike can i ask you why you'd pick nyu? you seem so gung-ho mt sinai that im a little curious and would like to hear your reasoning.

if you tell me maybe ill let you have my mssm spot.

I'm gung-ho MSSM b/c its probably the second best school I have a shot at in the best location of the schools I have a shot at.

I'd prefer NYU because of its superior location compared to MSSM. It is debateable which is more prestigious but the selectivity of NYU tells me that in general their students might be better. I would imagine that NYU students have higher average board scores. NYU also doesnt have the financial troubles currently plaguing MSSM.

Since NYU isnt a choice for me, MSSM is my top choice.

Originally posted by exmike
NYU also doesnt have the financial troubles currently plaguing MSSM.

Actually, both schools have considerable trouble (I read up on it after it was pointed out that MSSM isn't out of the woods). MSSM and NYU actually merged hospitals contigent upon the continued separation of their medical schools. The merger didn't work out well at all and including the debt they took into the merger, they have a combined debt of 700 million dollars.

This is allegedly not a problem at either medical school, but I just wanted to point out that the problem isn't unique to MSSM.

actually, it seems like many teaching hospitals nowadays are in financial trouble.

Originally posted by exmike
actually, it seems like many teaching hospitals nowadays are in financial trouble.

Yea I def. agree. There is a good NYT article that came out recently (if not today) about this. Academic hospitals are having issues financially.

Originally posted by facted
Actually, both schools have considerable trouble (I read up on it after it was pointed out that MSSM isn't out of the woods). MSSM and NYU actually merged hospitals contigent upon the continued separation of their medical schools. The merger didn't work out well at all and including the debt they took into the merger, they have a combined debt of 700 million dollars.

This is allegedly not a problem at either medical school, but I just wanted to point out that the problem isn't unique to MSSM.

Yup, you got it. The reason why the merger didn't work was that both hospitals didn't reveal how much debt the other had prior to merging. When they merged and both revealed their financial books, they were like WTF? They were both expecting the other to bail them out.

NYU has the $$$ to bail out their hospital, Sinai doesn't. Also, Sinai is stand-alone while NYU has the school of business, undergrad, etc.

If Sinai goes into the hole, they are on the their own, which is what they are now - on their own.

I would think that the NYU rep travels a bit better than Sinai. So in my opinion thats where NYU gets the advantage.

I'm a second-year at Sinai and can tell you that while there are some financial problems here, we don't see that much of it. Yes, the food spreads aren't as great and some of the frills are gone, but overall you're going to get a good education. Last year's board scores were at a record high, and we had an amazing match. And I'm sure NYU's the same way.

Regarding hospitals, both have excellent teaching facilities (NYU's Bellevue and Tisch, Sinai with Sinai and Elmhurst, Bronx VA).

At the end of the day, whatever school you go to is what you make of it. If you assert yourself, do well on the boards, take time to shadow, talk to patients and observe, do research and get published, etc., you will excel in the didactic years anywhere.

Incidentally, the area around Sinai is not a dump. We have a giant yard some call Central Park a block away, and it's a life saver!

Sinai is a better school hands down.

Better research

Better hospital and affiliates

Better quality of life

Better endowment

Richer Board of Trustees

Closer to Central park

Better matchlist

...So bring it on!!!

Oh, and about the management issues--- the school (separate from the hospital itself) has a mind-blowing endowment. Med students don't have much to worry about. The hospital entity is also well on its way to patching up its management and allocation issues, so soon these claims will all be non sequiters.

This information is from the mouth of the Assistant Director of Admissions herself.

tf

Originally posted by liquid magma
Sinai is a better school hands down.

Better research

Better hospital and affiliates

Better quality of life

Better endowment

Richer Board of Trustees

Closer to Central park

Better matchlist

...So bring it on!!!

Is Bellevue really a better hospital to learn at than Sinai? I'm seriously asking cause I don't know.

BTW, Murray Hill > Upper East Side. Though it is easier to get to the Met from Mt. Sinai.

Just my last two cents...I just finished an endocrine exam this morning, and afterwards, went for a walk with my girlfriend in Central Park, located a block from my housing here at Sinai. Don't underestimate the power of a big, beautiful greenspace next to your school!