Does CA recognize all rotation hours from other states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjaf05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a pharmacy student in pharmacy school in PA (Pennsylvania). My school gives 1440 rotational hours. I'm an intern registered in both CA and PA and I'm doing intern hours now in CA on break. I know CA requires 1500 hours but will they recognize all 1440 hours from PA and I just have to do at least 60 hours in CA or will CA only recognize 600 hours of my PA rotational school hours? I ask about 600 hours because on CA's intern affidavit form, there's a part where you fill this out: "Number of hours of pharmacy practice experience substantially related to the practice of Pharmacy. NOTE: A maximum of 600 hours may be granted at the discretion of the board." I have no idea what that 600 hours means. I emailed board and got an automatic email that wasn't close to answering my question and calling them to get ahold of someone is impossible. Can someone who went to pharmacy school in another state tell me if they were able to transfer all rotation hours to CA to be licensed in CA? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The CA BOP will accept all rotation hours to fulfill the intern hour requirements (however I have read CA will not accept hours from certain states. i'm looking at you NY). I went to school in South Carolina, never worked/volunteered outside of rotations, and CA accepted all of my hours. the 600 hour blurb is in reference to volunteer/research hours not under direct pharmacist supervision. If you worked with a licensed pharmacist, they count towards the 1,500 hours.

this document states that PA only acknowledges a maximum of 750 school-related intern hours. so if this is true, you might only be able to transfer 750 hours.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...35483_0_0_18/Verification of Intern Hours.pdf

In SC, I had a certification of clinical experience letter (certifying 1,600+ hours) sent from the dean's office to a specific person in the SC BOP. shoot an email to one of the administrative people at your school (the person you'd go to with licensing questions) and ask whom they deal with most often at the PA BOP, then put an "ATTN" line on the envelope/email them directly. The administrative person might do all of this for you if you ask.

after this certification has reached the PA BOP, go to: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf ; page 15
Fill out section A and mail it to the PA board of pharmacy and ask them to complete and mail it (you will need to include the other PA document from above link + $25 fee). CA will then take whatever hours the PA BOP signs off on towards the 1,500.

If the the 750 hour thing is true, I believe you can also go back to each individual pharmacist you worked with and have them fill out page 12 of the CA packet, then mail them all into the BOP. I have heard internet rumors that the BOP will only accept blue ink on these for some reason. if you go this route, i'd do it to be safe.

Last edited:
The CA BOP will accept all rotation hours to fulfill the intern hour requirements (however I have read CA will not accept hours from certain states. i'm looking at you NY). I went to school in South Carolina, never worked/volunteered outside of rotations, and CA accepted all of my hours. the 600 hour blurb is in reference to volunteer/research hours not under direct pharmacist supervision. If you worked with a licensed pharmacist, they count towards the 1,500 hours.

this document states that PA only acknowledges a maximum of 750 school-related intern hours. so if this is true, you might only be able to transfer 750 hours.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...35483_0_0_18/Verification of Intern Hours.pdf

In SC, I had a certification of clinical experience letter (certifying 1,600+ hours) sent from the dean's office to a specific person in the SC BOP. shoot an email to one of the administrative people at your school (the person you'd go to with licensing questions) and ask whom they deal with most often at the PA BOP, then put an "ATTN" line on the envelope/email them directly. The administrative person might do all of this for you if you ask.

after this certification has reached the PA BOP, go to: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf ; page 15
Fill out section A and mail it to the PA board of pharmacy and ask them to complete and mail it (you will need to include the other PA document from above link + $25 fee). CA will then take whatever hours the PA BOP signs off on towards the 1,500.

If the the 750 hour thing is true, I believe you can also go back to each individual pharmacist you worked with and have them fill out page 12 of the CA packet, then mail them all into the BOP. I have heard internet rumors that the BOP will only accept blue ink on these for some reason. if you go this route, i'd do it to be safe.

Wow very detailed and helpful, thanks so much