Retaking a class & AMCAS GPA - NOT the same old question...

Started by SailCrazy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, so I've done a search and read 1001 AMCAS GPA threads. I still haven't found the answer to my question.

I know that many people have said that when you retake a class AMCAS "averages" your grades.

Does it really average those two grades, or does AMCAS just tread them each as an individual class in your GPA calculation?

For example:
Bio 2, 4 credits, you get a C and an A. (taking the class twice)

Does AMCAS count this as one four credit class in which you earned a B?

Or does it count them as 1 in which you earned a C and 1 in which you earned and A? (The equilivant to two four credit classes in which you earned a B.)

Would it make any difference if you took the classes at different schools?

Thanks for the help!
 
1 A and 1 C will be counted. Your GPA averages ALL grades by adding all earned GPA credits dived by ALL credit hours attempted.
 
I'm pretty sure they just include them both into your GPA as 4 credit C and a 4 credit A.