Secondary Essay Prompts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davincicode

Bio-Linguist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I think as the students now going into medicine, it's time we did something for the next group. We all know AMCAS is coming up, but then we have secondaries. I suggest that we provide the new guys and gals with the usual secondary prompts for the different med schools so that they can not only get ahead with AMCAS but also have lots of time to work on the secondaries cuz they took me a lot of time!

So I propose we write the Name of the medical school and the essay prompts they shoudl think about and work on... I will put as many as I have on Wednesday... I should have 20+... I'll put them as and when I can... but in the meantime, if anyone has any... it would be great to get this started so that the people coming up can get a head start....

I know I would have surely appreciated it if I were applying this year!

Let the essays begin... :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

my friend asked me if i could do this for him....
i dont think he realized compiling a list for around the 40 schools i applied to is not very fun...and time consuming...

but if i ever finish...ill try and remember to put it up here.

NOTE: THESE ARE FROM THE PREVIOUS APPLICATION CYCLE. There will probably be some differences in the prompts for this cycle, but this should give you an idea of what to expect.

Cincinnati

If it has been 6 months or more since you graduated from college, please briefly describe your major activities since you received your college degree.

Please LIST activities which best demonstrate your willingness to help others. Please limit your list to no more than 5 experiences. You do not need to include a description.

Please LIST activities which best describe your exploration of medicine. Please limit your list to no more than 5 experiences which were the most meaningful to you. You do not need to include a description.

University of Michigan

NON-ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES. List up to six of your most valued recent non-academic activities (such as research, clinical experiences, community service, employment). Include information about hours per week and duration of involvement for each. EXAMPLE: Fayette County Health Department. Nurse's aide for migrant worker program. 8 hrs/wk. 3 months.

ESSAY. Select one experience from your list in part B and describe in a brief essay how it impacted on your decision to go into medicine. Do not exceed 400 words.

Northwestern

We want to know more about how you came to the decision to pursue a career in medicine. If you believe your AMCAS application?s ?Personal Comments? essay answers this question, tell us anything more you?d like the Committee on Admissions to know about you and your career aspirations. (The boxed space can contain approximately 400 words.)

Why do you want to attend Northwestern University?s Feinberg School of Medicine? In your answer to this question, include a direct response to the following points: 1) Describe what you have learned about our collaborative curriculum (especially the PBL and PPS segments) and why it influenced you to apply. Also comment on what you feel you can contribute to these sessions. 2) In what ways does FSM?s ?organ-based? approach suit your learning style? How will this approach help you learn what you need to know to be a successful physician? 3) Comment on any other specific factors that prompted you to apply to Feinberg.
(The boxed space can contain approximately 400 words.)

Please select a), b), or c) to answer:
a) If you have not been enrolled as a full-time student in a formal education program for more than six months at any time, please list the dates below and describe what you did (or, have been doing) during your time away from formal education.
b) If you have been enrolled in formal education and have spent a semester or more overseas, please describe what you did and its influence on your personal development.
c) If you have been enrolled in formal education but option b) does not apply to you, please describe in detail an out-of-the-classroom activity that has influenced your personal development.
(The boxed space can contain approximately 300 words.)

Rush

1. State one major problem you encountered during the past three to five years and explain how you resolved it.

2. Briefly describe the personal characteristics that make you effective in working with people and outline your skills, interest, aptitude and temperament in relation to your suitability for a career in medicine.

3. What do you feel are your greatest academic and non-academic strengths? Explain.

4. What do you feel are your greatest academic and non-academic weaknesses? Explain.

5. Who do you feel will be most likely to provide you emotional support while in medical school? Give relationship and reason for choosing the individual(s).

6. List your hobbies in order of importance to you.

7. What other career possibilities did you consider and why did you reject them?

8. Briefly describe your experiences in working with people, the general responsibilities of each, and how long you held the positions.
If you have had limited experiences in working with people in the health field, be sure to list any life experience, both paid or voluntary, including high school, college or community service.

9. If you have had any experiences working with individuals from diverse backgrounds, please describe and explain what you have learned from these experiences?

10a. What plans do you have following graduation from medical school?

10b.Do you have any plans to practice in a medically under-served area? ❑ Yes x No If yes, please explain.

11. If you were forced to choose a medical specialty today, what area of medicine would you choose? Why?

12. List physicans or healthcare professionals in your family. Indicate relationship/profession and if, applicable, role with Rush Medical College.

UWSOM

AUTOBIOGRAPHY: You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician and any other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Please write your name and SSN at the top of the page and indicate on the data form if you are submitting an additional autobiography. Due to the volume of applications we receive, publications or manuscripts will not be included in your application file, and cannot be returned if sent. Instead, please submit abstracts or other brief descriptions of your work.

"WHY UWSOM" STATEMENT: You must submit a statement, not exceeding 200 words, about why you want to attend the UWSOM. This cannot be fulfilled by the AMCAS Personal Statement or the additional autobiography.

CCOM

I don't remember the exact prompts, but basically there was one essay on why CCOM and why D.O. You also have to submit a resume with experiences.

Medical College of Wisc

No essays

Loyola

1. What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life.

2. Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

3. How did you reach your decision to enter medicine? Describe your participation in any health care or other activities which reinforced your decision.

4. What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work?

5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school.

6. Please use this space to bring the information contained on your AMCAS application up-to-date. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

MSUCOM

Essay Instructions: Please discuss the topic listed below. Your response should total no more than one page and the font size must not be smaller than 10 pt. Include your name, the last four (4) digits of your social security number, and e-mail address at the top right hand corner of the page. Send the original plus two copies with your completed secondary application.

"Describe a personal or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience prepared you to become an osteopathic physician?"

They also require a very extensive list of Non-academic experiences going back to high school.

Rochester

No essay

UIC

List all extracurricular activities (e.g. volunteer work, employment, clubs, etc.). Please indicate the activity, period of participation, number of hours per week, and whether it was volunteer or employment-related. Please make sure that the information is consistent with the information on your AMCAS application. (Feel free to attach an additional sheet if needed).

If you have overcome some particular disadvantage such as financial difficulty, educational deprivation, or other obstacles that hindered your academic performance, briefly explain the circumstances in the space provided below. (Don?t exceed 200 words)

If you have received special recognition for your accomplishments, such as advanced degrees, publications, awards, etc., briefly describe in the space provided below. Provide supporting documentation if possible. (Don?t exceed 250 words)

Please describe the top three medical specialties in which you might choose to practice. Indicate if you have not made such choices. (Don?t exceed 250 words)

Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. Please use the back of this sheet for additional explanation. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don?t exceed 150 words)

Members don't see this ad :)
OHSU

SUPPLEMENTAL PERSONAL STATEMENT (REQUIRED):
What values and personal attributes gained from your life experiences have best prepared you to enter the profession of medicine? (Please submit on a separate sheet of paper, do not exceed one page.)

EMPLOYMENT/ACTIVITIES HISTORY (REQUIRED):
Using a general format similar to the one below, give us a chronological account of your major activities and employment, including volunteer and summer activities, for the five years immediately preceding your proposed entry to medical school. (Please submit on a separate sheet of paper, do not exceed one page.)
FROM (Mo/Yr To Mo/Yr); ACTIVITY (i.e. Work, School): BRIEF DESCRIPTION; LOCATION (City/State)

Dartmouth

1. Please indicate what you are doing during the 2003-2004 academic year. If in school, list courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Mayo

No essay - phone secondary

U Chicago

3A. Relate an experience in which you felt you truly helped someone.

3B. If you have been involved in research, what did you learn that makes this type of experience worth recommending to others?

3C. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice.

3D. Most individuals live by a system of values and beliefs which serve as a guiding principle for daily living. What influences have been particularly important to you? Please describe both values and influences.

12. Additional Information Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. There is a limit of 1000 characters including spaces.

Colorado

The University of Colorado Admissions Committee is interested in obtaining additional information from applicants who have lived in a rural or a medically underserved area. A rural area is defined as a community with a population of 15,000 or less. A medically underserved area refers to an urban or rural area without adequate health care services.

1. Have you lived in a rural area or medically underserved area? Yes
If YES, how many years? 26 years.

2. Is there anything else that you wish the Admissions Committee to consider in evaluating your application?

The Admissions Committee must select a limited number of applicants for interview from the large applicant pool. In order to obtain additional information for the committee regarding your potential fit as a University of Colorado medical student, you are asked to write a brief essay (Please limit the length of the essay to approximately 250 words). The topic is listed below:

Write about why you are interested in attending medical school in Colorado. Include how you see yourself fitting into this school and what strengths you would bring.

You can compose your essay in a word processing program and paste it into the box below.

USC

Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine

Briefly describe any unique qualities and ablilites you possess which would contribute to:
- (A) the educational environment
- (B) the diversity of the entering class

Please provide a summary of your most relevant leadership experiences.

Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activities (volunteer, research, serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc?) related to your interest in medicine.

Please provide a copy of the personal statement that you submitted on your AMCAS application.

Wow thanks LaurieB

AWESOME THREAD!!! thanks a lot everyone!

if it was possible, I would give you all Karma

I'm having trouble with the describe an experience where you've truly helped someone. It's just that I'm not sure what would be an acceptable answer if one has never made a really big difference in someone's life or just not noticed it. I guess I feel like I have experiences with helping people, but I've never encountered a situation where I saved someone's life. Can anyone provide examples of what they would put for this question?

Wow! This thread is awesome. I appreciate all the help everyone's giving out. :love: even though they're most probably not exactly the same they'll give us some idea what to expect and prepare for. You guys are going above and beyond and I just want to say again, thanks a tonne!

leiface said:
I'm having trouble with the describe an experience where you've truly helped someone. It's just that I'm not sure what would be an acceptable answer if one has never made a really big difference in someone's life or just not noticed it. I guess I feel like I have experiences with helping people, but I've never encountered a situation where I saved someone's life. Can anyone provide examples of what they would put for this question?

I had a heck of a time with this question too. I ended up writing about setting up email and internet access for a former co-worker who was homebound with terminal cancer. I'm not sure if I'm a good example, though, since I didn't even get an interview.

Pritzker's secondary is tough. I agonized over it and probably ended up sending it in too late. My advice is to just plug through it the best you can.

Good luck!

leiface said:

I was in the same boat as you on this one. I basically wrote about how I consoled and listened to a friend after the death of their father. I wrote something about how he needed someone to talk to. It doesn't have to be about the time you ran into the burning building to save triplet infants, and a kitten...

OHSU

SUPPLEMENTAL PERSONAL STATEMENT (REQUIRED):
What values and personal attributes gained from your life experiences have best prepared you to enter the profession of medicine? (Please submit on a separate sheet of paper, do not exceed one page.)

EMPLOYMENT/ACTIVITIES HISTORY (REQUIRED):
Using a general format similar to the one below, give us a chronological account of your major activities and employment, including volunteer and summer activities, for the five years immediately preceding your proposed entry to medical school. (Please submit on a separate sheet of paper, do not exceed one page.)
FROM (Mo/Yr To Mo/Yr); ACTIVITY (i.e. Work, School): BRIEF DESCRIPTION; LOCATION (City/State)

Dartmouth

1. Please indicate what you are doing during the 2003-2004 academic year. If in school, list courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Mayo

No essay - phone secondary

U Chicago

3A. Relate an experience in which you felt you truly helped someone.

3B. If you have been involved in research, what did you learn that makes this type of experience worth recommending to others?

3C. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice.

3D. Most individuals live by a system of values and beliefs which serve as a guiding principle for daily living. What influences have been particularly important to you? Please describe both values and influences.

12. Additional Information Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. There is a limit of 1000 characters including spaces.

Colorado

The University of Colorado Admissions Committee is interested in obtaining additional information from applicants who have lived in a rural or a medically underserved area. A rural area is defined as a community with a population of 15,000 or less. A medically underserved area refers to an urban or rural area without adequate health care services.

1. Have you lived in a rural area or medically underserved area? Yes
If YES, how many years? 26 years.

2. Is there anything else that you wish the Admissions Committee to consider in evaluating your application?

The Admissions Committee must select a limited number of applicants for interview from the large applicant pool. In order to obtain additional information for the committee regarding your potential fit as a University of Colorado medical student, you are asked to write a brief essay (Please limit the length of the essay to approximately 250 words). The topic is listed below:

Write about why you are interested in attending medical school in Colorado. Include how you see yourself fitting into this school and what strengths you would bring.

You can compose your essay in a word processing program and paste it into the box below.

USC

Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine

Briefly describe any unique qualities and ablilites you possess which would contribute to:
- (A) the educational environment
- (B) the diversity of the entering class

Please provide a summary of your most relevant leadership experiences.

Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activities (volunteer, research, serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc?) related to your interest in medicine.

Please provide a copy of the personal statement that you submitted on your AMCAS application.

Baylor

Is there anything else you'd like us to know about you? (my paraphrasing)

Strong motivation for a career in medicine, human compassion, an abiding interest in the problems of people, leadership skills, the ability to communicate ideas effectively, and a high level of personal integrity are essential qualities of the physician. Additional criteria also include: socioeconomic background, first person in immediate family to graduate from college, multilingual proficiency, responsibilities while attending secondary and/or undergraduate schools, community involvement and geographic diversity.

This was a box about 1/3 the size of the personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to do these pretty much by memory, so I might be slightly off, but probably close enough to help people start thinking them through:

UCLA
They had like 10 prompts, but each were real short, just a few sentences. And their instructions said something mysterious like "you don't have to answer all of the questions, just the ones that will help us get to know you better":

1. A disadvantage you've overcome
2. Most scholastic effort (thesis project, etc.)
3. Honors and awards
4. Where you'll be in 10 years
5. Significant non-scholastic acheivement
6. Leadership experience

UCSD

2 page autobiography, I didn't know it was coming and was totally unprepared to discuss my early childhood, worth thinking about it early.

UCI

1. A challenge you've overcome
2. What do you bring to your class and to medicine that's unique

Stanford

1. What do you bring to the class that's diverse and unique?
2. Then they give you a list of possible career paths (like Surgeon general, academic medicine, director of MSF, etc.) and then ask you to say which you're planning to pursue or something silly.

UCSF

Best secondary ever! They basically want $60, your signature, and you can write them an update if you want

UC Davis

Most brutal secondary I got. Tell us about everything you've ever done and why it will help you be a better doctor. Really, there's nothing you can do to prepare for this one, it's ugly.

i have heard that davis has a really tough secondary becuase there are many essay responses. does anyone have the essay prompts/questions for davis? davis is my dream school, so i just want to know what i (hopefully) have ahead of me. thanks.

Ahh UC Davis and their funky funky secondary:

1. A challenge you've overcome
2. If you couldn't be a physician what would you do (expect this at many of your interviews as well)
3. What recent societal or scientific change in the past year will have the greatest impact on medicine?

Then they had six categories of extra-curricular activities, and you had to tally your hours accumulated for each which was a little silly (you'll understand when you see it).

Then, you had to pick one activity from each category and explain why it will make you a better physician. The categories were, roughly:
1. Leadership
2. Clinical
3. Research
4. Artistic/creative
5. Work experience
6. And the last was maybe something about working with underserved populations

Another important thing to know when applying to UC Davis is that they really are on their own schedule. I got their interview invite literally months after the others. So don't get discouraged and good luck!

thanks for the quick response.

okay, some kind people already got OHSU for us, so i'll hit the rest of the schools i applied to:

BU
definitely the easiest--send them a check and they are happy. if you spent time doing something between undergrad and application you need to submit a letter explaining why/what you did with your time. if you do not have a committee letter (and instead have individual LORs) you have to write something explaining why.

Columbia
who knows what they will do this year now that they've switched to AMCAS, but here are the questions they used last year:
1.) What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician? (Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 2484 CHARACTERS.)
2.) In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? (Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 759 CHARACTERS.)
3.) Please list collegiate honors, awards, and memberships in honorary societies (Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 345 CHARACTERS. )
4.) About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?
(LIMIT WRITING TO 207 CHARACTERS.)
5.) What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?*
(Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1104 CHARACTERS.)
6.) If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent. ( Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 1311 CHARACTERS.)
7.) If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here. Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges. The only exception is courses that do not fit into the course history pages. For courses that do not fit into the course history pages, upload a document at the bottom of the Additional Course History section.

GW
also an easy one, though the table of courses is annoying to fill out after you've already done AMCAS. i wanted to attach the doc here, but it is too large. PM me if you want a copy and i'll email it to you. otherwise the two main questions are as follows:
1.) If you are not attending school full-time during the entire 2003-2004 school year, please indicate activities, coursework, employment, or other occupations for that period to account for full-time involvement. Please restrict your answer to three lines.
2.)
Briefly describe the specific factors that motivated you to apply to The George Washington University School of Medicine. Please include highlights of your experiences that demonstrate your commitment to medicine as well as role models, mentors or family members who influenced your decision to apply to GW.
Please restrict your answer to five lines.

HMS
oops. i seem to have deleted this and trashed all record that i applied to this school. must have been the sting of rejection. :laugh: oh well, hope the link someone else included is helpful. i'll update this if i find the docs, but i vaguely remember their secondary being pretty short.

Johns Hopkins
1.) Describe briefly how you selected your undergraduate school and major area of study. (This space is limited to 900 characters)
2.) If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year.
3.) If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time.
4.) List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college
5.) List paid employment since entering college, dates, and average number of hours worked per week:
6.) List below your major unpaid extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests, and travel following entrance to college, and
indicate your degree of involvement:
7.) Briefly describe your most rewarding experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud:
(This space is limited to 900 characters)
8.) Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment:
(This space is limited to 1100 characters)

i also have the pdf of this app if anyone wants it.

Tufts
very easy secondary. they want a photo and 95 bucks.
if you've got some special reason for wanting to go to tufts they ask you to explain it in a paragraph or less. they also ask you to list any family members who have gone to tufts. i have this pdf if you want it.

U Maryland
if i recall, there wasn't much room to answer these (they do mean brief when they say it) and i had to chop down my "most important experience" quite a lot. like many schools, i had to include a letter explaining my lack of composite LOR.
1.) HAS YOUR EDUCATION TO DATE BEEN CONTINUOUS OTHER THAN FOR VACATIONS?
IF NO, INDICATE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WHILE OUT OF SCHOOL AND WHAT YOU PLAN TO DO DURING THE NEXT 12 MONTHS.
2.) PLEASE DESCRIBE AND EXPLAIN BELOW ANY ACADEMIC PROBLEMS WHICH YOU MIGHT HAVE INCURRED WHILE IN COLLEGE AND/OR
GRADUATE OR PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL, INCLUDING WITHDRAWALS FROM COURSES OR SCHOOL, INCOMPLETE GRADES, POOR GRADES, ETC.
3.) BRIEFLY DESCRIBE YOUR MOST IMPORTANT EXPOSURE TO CLINICAL MEDICINE.
4.) BRIEFLY DESCRIBE YOUR MOST SATISYING EXPERIENCE RELATED TO COMMUNITY SERVICE.
5.) HAVE YOU DONE INDEPENDENT RESEARCH OR STUDY? _ YES XNO
IF YES, DESCRIBE BRIEFLY:
6.) IF YOU HAVE WORKED WHILE ATTENDING SCHOOL PLEASE COMPLETE THIS SECTION.
DATES EMPLOYER POSITION HELD HOURS PER WEEK
7.) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE ENTERING A ?PROFESSION??
8.) PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR LONG TERM CAREER GOALS. WHAT HAS BEEN THE MAJOR INFLUENCE IN YOUR LIFE THAT HAS LED YOU IN THAT
DIRECTION?

good luck out there. :luck:
n

thanks everybody. keep them coming

Anyone have Vermont or SLU? I think SLU's is online somewhere.

Stanford

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
(a) Choose the single answer that describes your career goals best (choose only one answer despite multiple interests).

1. Fulltime private practice, with the option to engage in teaching and collaborations in clinical research projects with an academic institution and other public service activities
2. Fulltime employee of a government or non-governmental organization engaged in Health Policy planning such as the World Health Organization, Office of the Surgeon General or the Food and Drug Administration
3. Fulltime faculty member of a Medical School or Research Institute engaged in research activities and teaching
4. Fulltime Public Health Officer for county, state or federal government
5. Fulltime Hospital or Insurance Company administrator (Chief Medical Officer of Blue Cross of California)

(b) Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this position? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that has prepared you for this career?

leiface said:

this is what I put, with the caveat that this was completely consuming me the whole time I applied so I had lived this answer for months by the time I got the secondary (i got into pritzker....but I thought the values/beliefs question was hardest)

This past May I came to understand both the fragility of life and the complexity of medicine from a new perspective. My sister-in-law, while competing in a triathlon, suffered a serious contre-coup injury after falling from her bike. My brother flew out to the Regional Medical Center in Memphis with little more notice than a phone call that his wife, Donna, had injured her head, lost consciousness, and required immediate surgery. When he arrived, it was clear that her situation was not just serious, but rather grave. After undergoing several surgeries, Donna remained in a coma in the trauma ICU for a month. Within days, I flew out to Memphis to be by my brother?s side. Over the course of several weeks, I did what I could to lessen the shock and stress my brother was experiencing. I helped by doing simple things like keeping track of Donna?s blood work, writing down questions for the doctors and recording the answers, and most importantly, by being there to listen and offer support for my brother. I also regularly talked to my niece and nephew during this process, as they were home in Chicago. Without a doubt this has been one of my most difficult experiences; but somehow, by knowing that I was able to help, it lessened the pain where possible.

oops, i nearly forgot
Georgetown
their financial aid app is longer than their secondary
they ask you to list any relatives who have been or are currently associated with Gtown, submit a photo and a check (no surprises there) and then ask you to submit a one-page essay on:
*Why have you chosen to apply at Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future?

This is a GREAT thread!!! :thumbup: Does anybody have last year's Duke and UVA secondary questions? Thanks.

Not to detract from the point of this thread, but someone asked me in a PM when I got my secondaries and how long it took me to complete them. I thought I'd post my answer for the benefit of all. I kept track of my secondaries in a spreadsheet making it easy to cut and paste info for those applying now. I highly recommend this as it helps you keep track as you go along and makes for a good resource for the next application class.

It does take a long time to do all your secondaries. I pretty much devoted an entire month to working on them religously. Still, I finished them in a trickle. It gets easier after the first few because you get in a groove, but some questions are tough and take longer.

Many of my secondaries came in right around the time my AMCAS application was verified. Some schools will automatically send them as soon as you've submitted your AMCAS and others will wait and send them after they've reviewed your application. I keep track of when I got secondaries. Keep in mind that I did not submit my AMCAS as early as others did.

School Date Secondary Received
Loyola 8/14/2003
UWSOM 8/6/2003
UIC 7/24/2003
Rush 8/5/2003
MSUCOM 7/11/2003
Cincinnati 7/25/2003
Rochester 7/25/2003
USC 8/1/2003
Colorado 8/20/2003
KCOM 7/14/2003
Hopkins 7/25/2003
Harvard 8/4/2003
OHSU 9/17/2003
NWU 9/4/2003
Michigan 8/6/2003
CCOM 7/24/2003
MCW 8/4/2003
Dartmouth 7/17/2003
Pritzker 7/17/2003

Hope this helps. Good luck and hang in there!

Laurie

LaurieB said:
Not to detract from the point of this thread, but someone asked me in a PM when I got my secondaries and how long it took me to complete them. I thought I'd post my answer for the benefit of all. I kept track of my secondaries in a spreadsheet making it easy to cut and paste info for those applying now. I highly recommend this as it helps you keep track as you go along and makes for a good resource for the next application class.

I had a master spreadsheet for all my deadlines, what letters were sent when, etc. I lived and breathed that thing. Make one as soon as you pick out schools, and put everything in there. It also helped to plan for all the dough that was shelled out and work toward multiple deadlines that tended to come all at once.

Thanks so much! :)

Any secondaries for: Emory, Drexel, Jefferson, Vanderbilt, Tulane, Case, NYMC, U of Miami, VCU, Yale, UPenn? Thanks a lot!

Request for: U Iowa, U Kansas, U Wisconsin, U Nebraska, Creighton, Case Western, Rosalind Franklin, St Louis University?

Thanks everyone!

bump...anyone from app cycle 2004 have these?

Anyone have the secondary prompts for the SUNY schools. Thanks!

kmjannie said:
Request for: U Iowa, U Kansas, U Wisconsin, U Nebraska, Creighton, Case Western, Rosalind Franklin, St Louis University?

Thanks everyone!

I recognize you from the Reapp Buddy thread...looks like we'll be applying to a bunch of the same schools. Maybe we'll have a few interviews together! :)

Tufts
1. Is there any reason or circumstance/history that motivates you to attend TUSM in particular of to study in Boston, as opposed to attending another school in another city?

U. of Vermont
1.Optional ? Provide information about yourself and your activities since completion of your AMCAS application.
2. Optional ? Describe any circumstances regarding your application, which you believe merit special consideration.
3. Required ? Give the name and population (approximate) of the towns and cities where you have lived and your age while living at each location.

Albany Medical College
1. Describe yourself:
2. If selected for an interview, what one life experience would you most like to talk about?

Jefferson Medical College
Wants SAT scores

Nebraska
No essay

Finch
Personal Comments ? If you wish to make additional comments or update the comments you made on your AMCAS application, please do so.

Oklahoma
No essay

Ohio State
1. Please describe your interest in attending The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health and the unique qualities that you would bring to the entering class.
2. Please describe your motivation for a career in medicine and experiences you have had that helped confirm this desire.

anybody have the secondaries for the following:

SLU
SUNY-Syracuse
NYMC
Wayne State
Penn State
VCU

thanks!

I heard from an applicant who was accepted into VCU very early that they make you handwrite about a general topic. She wrote about her dog....Weird, huh....?

Does Anyone Have Secondary Info on:

WashU
Cornell
Harvard
Penn
Northwestern
UCSD

Thanks!

NYU
Explain education interruption. List all jobs with dates you have had.

AECOM
Explain education interruption.

MSSM
Explain education interruption. Why MSSM.

Cornell
Why Cornell.

Yale
Write a short essay describing your most outstanding achievement.
Write a short essay describing your most important activities.
Why Yale and what about the Yale system makes you want to attend Yale SOM?

Harvard
No essay. Just send the money.

UCSF
No essay.

UPenn
No essay that I remember.

SUNY Downstate
No essay.

SUNY Stony Brook
3 essays of max 1 page each.
1. In your opinion, what contemporary medical issue needs to be addressed in the U.S. healthcare system and why?
2. What non-medically related experience has been most influential in your life?
3. In your intellectual development and preparation for a medical career, which non-science college course has been most valuable? Why?

Rochester
No secondary essays. There are 2 questions you need to answer only after you get invited to interview (to be submitted before the interview).
1. What interests do you hope to continue or develop as you pursue your medical education at Rochester?
2. Currently, what medical career pathway (academic, private practice, specialty area) are you considering, and what factors have contributed to your choice?

I hope this helps. Good luck!

I was wondering if anybody had a secondary for Medical College of Georgia (MCG). Thanks for any help

I'd like to know what the Hopkins secondary asks for. If its a lot of work I'd rather not apply.

yep, Jefferson wants SAT scores. I had to go back and dig them out of who knows where. I thought it was very silly. What do scores from years and years ago tell them about me now? :p

Anyone have em for the Texas schools besides Baylor.

bump this thread up says the anxious boy waiting for secondaries...

i feel like i'm going to be repeating a lot of the stuff i already said in my AMCAS ps for some of these secondary essays...

bakedlay said:
i feel like i'm going to be repeating a lot of the stuff i already said in my AMCAS ps for some of these secondary essays...
What not to do:
I know a guy who said: "Oh, secondaries are easy. You just cut and paste chunks from your Personal Comments." Well, he didn't get in and last I heard was looking at the Caribbean.