Secondary Essay Prompts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ames980 said:
Mt. Siani?
already on here, search for MSSM

Members don't see this ad.

Chankovsky said:
bump. Can you guys list more schools

Yeah... anybody have Duke or Vandy or UVa? This is a great thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to pay attention to what had already been posted, but I may not have caught them all.

Creighton University

go to http://medicine.creighton.edu/medschool/Admissions/AppInfo.html

University of Vermont College of Medicine

1. (REQUIRED) Give the name and population (approximate) of the towns and cities where you have lived in chronological order.

2. (OPTIONAL) Provide information about yourself and your activities since completion of your AMCAS application.

3. (OPTIONAL) Describe any circumstances regarding your application, which you believe merit special consideration.

USC-Keck SOM

1a. Have you applied to any medical school in the past?
1b. Have you applied to the Keck School of Medicine in the past?
2. Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine.
3. Briefly describe any unique qualities and abilities you possess which would contribute to: (A) the educational environment and (B) the diversity of the entering class.
4. Please provide a summary of your most relevant and recent leadership experiences.
5. Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activities (volunteer, research, serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc...) related to your interest in medicine.
6. Please provide a copy of the personal statement that you submitted on your AMCAS application.

There are also additional questions if you are applying to the MD/PhD program...PM me if you want these as well.

UI-Carver COM

1. Please explain your reasons for applying to the UI Carver COM. We understand that you are probably applying to several medical schools. We are interested in learning why you included Iowa on your list of medical schools.

2. What else would you like the Admissions Committee to know about you? If you are a reapplicant to this College of Medicine, please describe how you have strengthened your application.

George Washington University

1. If you are not attending school full-time during the entire 2003-2004 school year, please indicate activities, coursework, employment, or other occupations for that period to account for full-time involvement. Please restrict your answer to three lines.

2. Briefly describe the specific factors that motivated you to apply to the George Washington University School of Medicine. Please include highlights of your experiences that demonstrate your commitment to medicine as well as role models, mentors or family members who influenced your decision to apply to GW. Please restrict your answer to five lines.

Tulane

go to http://www.som.tulane.edu/admissions/application.pdf

i think it's ok to include stuff from your ps. after all, some of the interviews will be based in part on the ps.

I took the opportunity in my secondaries to say stuff that I hadn't included in my PS. I saw it as a way to include more information that I didn't have room for in my PS. I also went into more detail in my secondaries on things that I just mentioned in my PS.

Hi,

This is a little odd. Do all schools require essays? I just received a secondary application that does not require an essay. All they want are letters of recommendation.

does anybody have anymore secondary prompts?

strife97 said:
Hi,

This is a little odd. Do all schools require essays? I just received a secondary application that does not require an essay. All they want are letters of recommendation.

What school did you already get a secondary from?

any other secondary prompts from last cycle out there?

Dr. Chiquita said:
Duke, anybody?

I remember the exact wording for the essays, but there are six shorts and two longs. The short essay questions (about a paragraph) had topics on extracurriculars and research. The two long essays (about two pages) were on ethics:

1. Describe an ethical or moral delima you have encountered and you dealt with it. (I'm pretty sure I got the exact wording for this one.)

2. Describe the current state and future of medical ethics. (I'm far off on the wording here, but I do remember writing about wealth as a determining factor in health care.)

you guys are awesome for coming up with the idea of this thread and sharing what you know about it. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
bumpity bump

just got some more:

Georgetown: Why do you want to come here and how will Georgetown prepare you as a doctor of the future?

Miami: What do you think of our website? Why do you want to come here?

Baylor: "Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information which you feel would be helpful in evaluating you. 2000 character limit."

SUNY Upstate:

No real essays, they just want a couple of lines on what you'll be doing in the upcoming academic year (if not in school) and if you've even been convicted of a crime. Pretty simple!

UCONN:

1. Describe your motivation to become a physician
2. What do you see as the most significant issue the medical profession will face in the next forty years?
3. Describe your experiences in the health care field. Give details. What insights have you gained about problems you will face as a physician?
4. Describe your major extracurricular activity, including time commitment , leadership responsibilities, accomplishments and benefits you gained. What special interests or talents have you sought to develop?
5. What is your research and/or teaching experience? Describe the project and/or teaching. How did you benefit from your experience? If you are planning a research experience for this next year, describe your plans.
6. What field of medicine is most appealing to you at this time and why?

Does anyone know the secondary prompts for UVA? I am not in their system yet...AMCAS is still trying to make sense of my 8 transcripts, but I would love to get started in the meantime. Thanks to all who have posted for other schools!

I have three so far:

Wash U- (1) do you have any unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome (3000 characters all other topics 1800); (2) if convicted of a crime you need to explain; (3) if not a full-time student, you need to outline your plan for the next year; (4) relationship with Wash U.

Thomas Jefferson- no essays

Baylor- unique experience, special factors or other information (2000 character limit)

Here's a few from last year's cycle.

SUNY Stony Brook (Max 1 page each)
1. In your opinion, what contemporary medical issue needs to be addressed in the U.S. healthcare system and why?

2. What non-medically related experience has been most influential in your life?

3. In your intellectual development and preparation for a medical career, which non-science college course has been most valuable? Why?

SUNY Downstate
1. If you aren't from New York City, explain how you are prepared to live in a large city and what your support structure would be.

joy77 said:
Does anyone know the secondary prompts for UVA? I am not in their system yet...AMCAS is still trying to make sense of my 8 transcripts, but I would love to get started in the meantime. Thanks to all who have posted for other schools!

I haven't accessed UVa's 2005 questions yet.... but here are past UVA questions:

Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

Briefly describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.

What do you believe is the greatest challenge facing the American health care system today? In your opinion, what would be the best way to meet this challenge?

How can you contribute to Uva?

BUMP -- looks like some may have some more to add - or make any changes to previous year's prompts...

one of uva's most recent questions is "what will be your greatest challenge as a physician and how will you deal with it?"

the others are the same as above: why uva, describe your practice in 10 years.

Anyone remember the essay from MSU MD program, I've seen the one from the DO program but I'm still looking for the college of human medicine one. Thanks if you can help.

"Describe a personal or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience prepared you to become an osteopathic physician?"

Has anyone had this secondary prompt. If so, what kind of examples did you use?

Here are all of the secondary essay questions that I have so far:

Baylor
------
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information which you feel would be helpful in evaluating you. (I think the limit was 2000 characters)

Dartmouth
---------
Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file. (no limit, but one page should be enough)

Drexel
------
(NO ESSAYS)

Duke
-------
(Character limits do not include spaces)

SHORT ESSAYS (500 characters each)

Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine?

Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?

Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine?

Please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are the most proud and why.

Please provide a chronological list of your work experience while in college, or subsequent to your graduation, if applicable. Please indicate the length of your employment, number of hours worked/week, and your exact job title

Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal.

LONG ESSAYS (1000 characters)

Outside of the classroom, (i.e., encounters with academic dishonesty, etc.) describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with or meet this challenge?

The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and ?life-altering? technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients.

Emory
------
If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2004-2005 academic year.

Briefly describe (in approximately 50 words) what you are doing if you are no longer a fulltime student.

Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement. Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe it in more detail.

Briefly discuss (in approximately 100 words) any special interests attracting you to Emory.

Florida State (no limit)
--------------
Travel: Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.

Fun and Diversion: Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)

Miscellaneous: Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.

Parents: For both mother and father, give the following: a) Where they were raised, b) 4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger, c) Traits you get from him/her, d) Your rapport with him/her, e) His/her hobbies or interests

Siblings: Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.

Spouse/Steady Friend: Brief Comments

Practice Vision: In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?

George Washington
-----------------
Why are you applying here? (8 line limit)

Georgetown
-----------
Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (limit one page)

Miami
-----
What do you think of our website? How can we improve it?

Why are you applying here?

Community Work: organized activities performed for the benefit of the community (375 characters)

Employment: work experiences during the past five years that have been unrelated to science or healthcare (375 characters)

Counseling/Teaching/Leadership: activities as a leader, organizer, counselor, advisor, or teacher (375 characters)

Penn State
----------
Why did you choose to apply to Penn State College of Medicine? (Maximum 50 words)

Is there any information, not included in either the AMCAS application or this supplemental form that you wish to communicate to the Admissions Committee? (Maximum 50 words)

South Alabama
--------------
(NO ESSAY)

Tufts
-----
Is there any personal reason or circumstance/history that motivates you to attend Tufts in particular or to study in Boston, as opposed to attending another school or studying in another city? (on paragraph --- note, a response is not required)

University of Florida
---------------------
(NO ESSAYS UNLESS REAPPLICANT)

How have you made your application stronger?

University of South Florida (no limits)
---------------------------
If you applied previously, briefly describe how you have strengthened your candidacy.

If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation(s) and how it was resolved. (Please also explain any grades less than a "B" or any "withdrawal" situations.)

Please provide the Committee with an essay profiling yourself and family, including, for example, work experience, travel experiences, fun and diversions, family traits, education, occupations, hobbies, and interests. If married, please include your spouse (and children). This essay should be different from your AMCAS essay.

Uniformed Services University
-----------------------------
This form is primarily intended as your instrument to tell the Committee in Admissions about your specific interest in USUHS for your medical education and to explain your motivation for military medicine and something about your experience or familiarity with the military services. In addition, you may expand your AMCAS statement and tell us whatever you would like the Committee to know about you. Be creative and concise in your comments. (one page)

Vanderbilt
----------
Autobiography: Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (2000 word limit)

Skills: In addition to preparing you to be an excellent physician, Vanderbilt is committed to educating leaders and scholars in clinical practice, basic research, clinical research, education, and health policy. Describe any skills or experiences that have prepared you for one or more of these broader missions. (500 word limit)

Research: Discuss the scholarly work or research you have done of which you are most proud. What did you find? What might be the consequences of your work (500 word limit)

Virginia Commonwealth / Medical College of Virginia
---------------------------------------------------
HAND WRITE an essay on any topic (200 words)

University of Virginia (300 words each)
----------------------
Why are you interested in attending
the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

Briefly describe yourself and your medical career
as you see it ten years from now.

What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge
as a physician, and how will you address this?

Great thread!

check out this long, pain in the butt secondary:

University of Kentucky
------------------------
(no apparent character limit on any of these)

1. Describe your past experiences in learning from small group instructional methods (such as case discussion, problem based learning, recitation groups, and the like.) Include the extensiveness of this kind of instruction, the nature of the experience, and your reaction to the method.

2. How would you describe your current computer skills? (Include your comfort with computers, current proficiency, and plans for growth.)

3. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

4. What are the competencies and qualities you feel a physician should possess for practice in the 21st century?

5. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

6. Describe any previous research experience you have had. Please indicate whether or not you are interested in an MD/Ph.D degree. Please indicate whether or not you are interested in a career in academic medicine.

Posted elsewhere by someone (I've forgotten who, alas):

Wake Forest
--------------

In which service activity that you listed on your AMCAS application do you feel you made the biggest impact on someone else?

Which service activity that you listed on your AMCAS application do you feel made the biggest impact on you?

Optional box -- if you would like the committee to know anything else about you, etc.

okay here's the thread I was actually looking for

Bump! :D

...thought this might be useful for some people applying this cycle....does anyone have any other prompts?.....esp Yale, NYU, or Columbia?....

can't this get sticky'ed? awesome stuff!

UseUrHeadFred said:
Anyone have Vermont or SLU? I think SLU's is online somewhere.

ya it is online and it is reallllllllllllllllllly easy

UseUrHeadFred said:
Anyone have Vermont or SLU? I think SLU's is online somewhere.

ya it is online and it is reallllllllllllllllllly easy

We need a way of keeping track which schools have been covered and which haven't....

MB in SD said:
We need a way of keeping track which schools have been covered and which haven't....

hmm, let me try something ;)