The **NEW & IMPROVED** official low gpa thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I am about to graduate undergrad with cGPA: 3.62, sGPA: 3.58, and 28 MCAT. I would say my ECs are above average, with strong LORs. I have been accepted to a well thought of SMP program, but still plan on applying to medical school this summer (MD/DO). Will attending an SMP program during my application process help me gain admissions? Would I benefit just as much from doing research for a year? Are my stats already good enough to get me into medical school? I welcome everybody's opinion and I thank you in advance!

Yeah, an SMP seems like it would be unnecessary for you. Your gpa won't prevent you from getting an acceptance. However, if you don't feel comfortable applying this year, you could give the MCAT a re-take. A few more points would put you in a much stronger position IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I stumbled upon this website while trawling through the internet in search of information for med school. I am currently in my second semester of my sophomore year at UT Austin with a cGPA of 2.62 for the first year and a half and whats looking to be an sGPA of 3.58 for this semester. I've recently come out of a haze of sorts since I came to this university as, coming from an overbearing family and never getting to experience a social life, I was a complete idiot and a slacker my freshman year and received B's and C's on most of my beginning prereq's (a year of Gen Chem, a year of calculus, a year of bio, a year of OChem) because for WHATEVER reason the hormone fueled remnants of my child brain thought I died and went to heaven, and that my education would always come second to all the fun I was having. Fast forward to now and like a slap in the face I realize I've been digging my medical dreams a grave for the past year and a half and that even if I keep getting exceptional grades until I graduate (as in almost all A's), my GPA might not even break past 3.2. I never realized until now how competitive med schools were and I am honestly incredibly disappointed in myself for possibly ruining my chances into a good med school. I know that if I kill the MCAT, keep doing UG research (1 year of experience thus far) and pursue ECs my app package will look a lot better to all the schools I apply to but with the ridiculous blemish that is my GPA (which I know I can get above a 3.0 but at this point it's impossible to break past a 3.3 by the time I graduate) I find myself asking if it's even worth continuing to pursue medicine. I don't mean to offend anyone with this post as I know a lot of you are at a much higher disadvantage than I am and had/have to work so much harder than I do. I'm just looking for some solid advice because for the first time in my life I'm genuinely worried about my future.
Should I wait until my senior year to take the MCAT and apply in the summer after graduation or should I look for postbacs or SMPs to improve my cGPA before applying (financial situation is bad, dependent on loans and grants)? Or the more drastic decision should I just try to get into a good graduate program and forget about my medical dreams?
At this point I feel like I'm just shooting in the dark and no one at UT, not even my advisor has given me anything but vague advice so thanks for any guidance y'all can give.

If anyone thought it was tl;dr, here's the short and sweet version.

• Sophomore, BS Biochem major at UT Austin
  • Partied too hard freshman year, cGPA is 2.62 which includes Gen Chem, OChem, Calculus, and Bio (all B's and C's)
  • sGPA is looking to be 3.58 for this semester, will continue to make A's but will barely break 3.0 by the end of junior year, impossible to break 3.3 by graduation.
  • A year of research and counting under my belt, plan on doing lots of volunteering.
  • Totally broke. Parents are unemployed and I am dependent on loans and grants.
  • Should I consider a postbac or SMP after graduation before medschool, take MCAT and apply to med school at the end of senior year, or forget about medicine and apply to grad programs for PhD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I consider a postbac or SMP after graduation before medschool, take MCAT and apply to med school at the end of senior year, or forget about medicine and apply to grad programs for PhD?
You should get As from now on; and then re-evaluate. You have a ton of time left - re-assess this a year from now. Your performance over the next year will decide everything

If anyone thought it was tl;dr, here's the short and sweet version.

• Sophomore, BS Biochem major at UT Austin
  • Partied too hard freshman year, cGPA is 2.62 which includes Gen Chem, OChem, Calculus, and Bio (all B's and C's)
  • sGPA is looking to be 3.58 for this semester, will continue to make A's but will barely break 3.0 by the end of junior year, impossible to break 3.3 by graduation.
  • A year of research and counting under my belt, plan on doing lots of volunteering.
  • Totally broke. Parents are unemployed and I am dependent on loans and grants.
  • Should I consider a postbac or SMP after graduation before medschool, take MCAT and apply to med school at the end of senior year, or forget about medicine and apply to grad programs for PhD?

Focus on short term. 4.0 every semester from here on out. Get As in tough upper level science electives. Diversify your ECs.

My freshmen year I had a horrible GPA (ended with a 2.3) I went to a Very competitive school. At that time I was a varsity soccer player. After that year I decided medicine was what I truly wanted to do. I couldn't afford to go to that school without playing soccer, and soccer was no longer what I wanted to do. I transferred to a state school and graduated with a 3.8. I just took my MCATS on 4-28 and feel pretty confident. I have worked in a hospital for over a year with direct patient contact, lots of shadowing, and was in a sorority. Will application committees look past my freshmen year considering I moved from a small rural town in texas to a competitive school in New York City, played soccer, and have done almost flawless since I transferred or will they automatically write me off (my overall gpa for my application is about a 3.4 -I had a lot of hours from high school that were all A's and took 12 hours of summer school at a community college between my freshmen and soph. year that brought my transfer GPA to a 3.0)
Oh and also I got an academic scholarship for a Master of Science Program in Molecular Pathology that I will be doing from now till May 2013!

My freshmen year I had a horrible GPA (ended with a 2.3) I went to a Very competitive school. At that time I was a varsity soccer player. After that year I decided medicine was what I truly wanted to do. I couldn't afford to go to that school without playing soccer, and soccer was no longer what I wanted to do. I transferred to a state school and graduated with a 3.8. I just took my MCATS on 4-28 and feel pretty confident. I have worked in a hospital for over a year with direct patient contact, lots of shadowing, and was in a sorority. Will application committees look past my freshmen year considering I moved from a small rural town in texas to a competitive school in New York City, played soccer, and have done almost flawless since I transferred or will they automatically write me off (my overall gpa for my application is about a 3.4 -I had a lot of hours from high school that were all A's and took 12 hours of summer school at a community college between my freshmen and soph. year that brought my transfer GPA to a 3.0)
Oh and also I got an academic scholarship for a Master of Science Program in Molecular Pathology that I will be doing from now till May 2013!
They won't look past your freshman GPA, but 3.4 is enough to get you instate interviews. Cumulative 3.4 is the top end of low. I hope you are still a TX resident and that your MCAT is 32+, because those are your key assets at this point. And if you get a 32+, apply TMDSAS/AMCAS right away (I mean June 2012). You could start med school right after you finish your masters, in theory.

Best of luck to you.

They won't look past your freshman GPA, but 3.4 is enough to get you instate interviews. Cumulative 3.4 is the top end of low. I hope you are still a TX resident and that your MCAT is 32+, because those are your key assets at this point. And if you get a 32+, apply TMDSAS/AMCAS right away (I mean June 2012). You could start med school right after you finish your masters, in theory.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks! And yes I do still live in TX.

So when adcom are sorting through the thousands of application, will the first cuts be made purely on mcat and gpa ( meaning will some just toss by application in the trash so to speak without even looking at my personal statement, LOR. ECs, and my extreme upward trend, etc)

Thanks! And yes I do still live in TX.

So when adcom are sorting through the thousands of application, will the first cuts be made purely on mcat and gpa ( meaning will some just toss by application in the trash so to speak without even looking at my personal statement, LOR. ECs, and my extreme upward trend, etc)
You don't have to worry about this (if your MCAT is strong). You're talking to too many neurotic premeds. 3.4 is not that far below average. Half of med students have 3.6 or lower.

In this thread, low GPA means more like 3.0-ish and sub-3.0. People with real problems. Not you.:laugh:

3.4 is not that far below average. Half of med students have 3.6 or lower.
I am surprised you continue to throw this out there midlife.

It is one standard deviation below average exactly (0.25 is 1 STD, avg cGPA is 3.65 for matriculants). So that means 85% of accepted students had about a 3.4 cGPA, and 15% of accepted students had above a 3.9.
As we all know due to URM status, or in-state status, or some other crazy story - the bottom of the GPA scale is hard to relate to. Pretty much if you are white/asian and live in a state that isn't know for lower in-state school averages and don't have a compelling story - a 3.4 cGPA is very hard to overcome without a great MCAT and some solid ECs

Only reporting an average is an appalling way to look at statistics - the standard deviations add so much more detail to the picture.

Link to article on standard deviations and why they matter, and yes its wiki for ease of reading - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

Long story short,

My cGPA and sGPA were both around 2.62 upon graduation.
Then I worked in a trauma lab, performing large animal surgeries and pushing papers and posters.
It was time to do something right in my life so I began the repair process which comprises the following:
1. few online biotech courses: 4.0
2. 45 credits of 400 level undergraduate biology/biochemistry: 4.0
3. volunteer/shadow/etc etc
4. currently in an SMP: 4.0
5. MCAT: 33R (10PS, 9VR, 14BS)

This effort took me about 2.5 years, but got me into a US MD school.
My motto during this period was "just shut up and do it" :laugh:.
I didn't complain, cry, nor give up. I researched if I didn't know, and just kept going at it.

Do the same and you'll get in too.

I have a 2.98 cgpa and a sgpa of 2.52. Wow! I am amazed at your story!congratulations! I was a science major as well and did very poorly in alot ofscience classes.

1. ) Did you have to make sure of the 45 credits you took ..that they wouldbe incorporated into your BCPM average? The main goal was to raise your sgpa to 3.0 to be eligible for smps right?

2.) Where did you do your post bacc classes? Was it a structured program?Did you take like 5 classes per semester? ..I'm just wondering because I wantedto know what will look good for an SMP...if its ok to take a few at a time..orto take them all together.

3.)What SMP did you get into? I applied to 5 SMPs this year Drexel, Touro,Temple , East Virginia and NYMC and didnt get in this year.. I know it was abit of a stretch but i was hopeful.

What do you suggest I do? Would really appreciate any help and advice!

thanks so much so glad I came across your post!

I have a 2.98 cgpa and a sgpa of 2.52. Wow! I am amazed at your story!congratulations! I was a science major as well and did very poorly in alot ofscience classes.

1. ) Did you have to make sure of the 45 credits you took ..that they wouldbe incorporated into your BCPM average? The main goal was to raise your sgpa to 3.0 to be eligible for smps right? Yea, the goal was to salvage cGPA/sGPA as much as possible to even apply for the SMPs. It would've been nice to break 3.0, but I was a bit short (2.98cGPA/3.02sGPA). SMPs and med schools do look at the very upward trend.

2.) Where did you do your post bacc classes? Was it a structured program?Did you take like 5 classes per semester? ..I'm just wondering because I wantedto know what will look good for an SMP...if its ok to take a few at a time..orto take them all together. I did it at my undergraduate institution (4 year university). I declared second major (biochem) for registration priority, but picked only courses that I wanted to take. I took 5 classes per semester, and most of them were courses that I would normally steer away from. I wanted to prove that I could handle the hard science course load.

3.)What SMP did you get into? I applied to 5 SMPs this year Drexel, Touro,Temple , East Virginia and NYMC and didnt get in this year.. I know it was abit of a stretch but i was hopeful. I got into Gtown, Drexel, and RFUMS.

What do you suggest I do? Would really appreciate any help and advice! You should take some hard upper level science courses full load, because not only grades, but rigor and course load are also taken into consideration, not to mention it will help you tremendously once you get into an SMP. Then apply to an SMP given that you have a decent MCAT and EC. Kill the SMP and you will be rewarded with favorable results.

Off the record, there are some with sub 20's MCAT with lowly low VR scores who get in through the backdoor program. Now I call that backdoor and those people are underserving. Put in the work and succeed in medical school. There's no "backdoor" to success.
thanks so much so glad I came across your post!

There ya go

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, kind of in a bad place and looking for some advice, dont really know what to do anymore. I am at a hard university going into 4th year with a gpa of a 2.7. I had a really bad 1st and second year but managed a 3.4 this year. I dont think I'll be able to pull my gpa above a 3 before the end of third year. I took the mcat last summer and got a 32. Any advice on what to do going forward?

I know I should probably stay and get my gpa above a 3 but dont think this school is right for me. I am consiering graduating after first semester this year and enrolling in some sort of post bac at another institution to get my gpa above a 3, the problem is I dont know what kind of schools will let me take classes there after I graduate with a 2.8 or 2.9. My ultimate goal is to get into med school in ireland and I know I will need around a 3.0 to do that, any advice? would and SMP or a postbacc be a better option for me?

Hi everyone, I def need advice please.

I just downloaded an " amcaas GPA calculator from my university and I was surprised to find that even though I have a 3.8 GPA, the low GPA I underachieved in a 2 year community college is impossible to recover from. Even if I made straight A's in the rest of my classes, my GPA will show up as a 3.0-3.1 in amcaas. I just cant believe this. My LOR's are great, my EC's are fantastic and i've been involved in research for over three years now but none of it matters. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what steps I should take? Should I even bother applying to medical school without doing a postbac program?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

I just downloaded an " amcaas GPA calculator from my university and I was surprised to find that even though I have a 3.8 GPA, the low GPA I underachieved in a 2 year community college is impossible to recover from. Even if I made straight A's in the rest of my classes, my GPA will show up as a 3.0-3.1 in amcaas. I just cant believe this. My LOR's are great, my EC's are fantastic and i've been involved in research for over three years now but none of it matters. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what steps I should take? Should I even bother applying to medical school without doing a postbac program?

A strong upward trend with a great MCAT and excellent ECs can get you into a US MD school. Focus on finishing strong, smoking your MCATs and getting your application in as early as possible.

I concur with johnnyscans, assuming a 30+ MCAT. Doing post-bac undergrad work serves two purposes: it will show admissions committees that you are capable of getting A's for a few straight semesters, and and it will slowly drag your cumulative GPA up. You've already done the former, and you probably won't be able to do much about the latter without a ton of credits. Since you're above a 3.0 and not facing an auto-screen at many schools, I would go ahead and apply, and hopefully you'll get looked at. That said, you might require an SMP this coming year to actually get acceptances.

Have I ruined my chance at a decent SMP next cycle?
No. You raised your GPA into SMP range. A B- in biochem followed by an A or two in other hard upper div sci next year would show you're responsible and teachable and understanding the ramifications of that B1. You're right to worry about that B-, and you should use this event to be even more honest with yourself about what level of effort you need to get those A's next year and to get yourself through med school.
Post to read this later.
wtf? use the subscribe feature if you need to not lose threads

Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get some advice on if I just ruined my chances at an SMP (such as Cincy, EVMS, Georgetown, Tufts, or BU, which are the ones I was most interested in), and eventually MD school. I've posted a few times in this thread, but a brief recap:

Undergrad - cGPA: 3.01, BCPM: 2.89 (chemistry major.)
Post-bacc - cGPA: 3.89, BCPM: 3.876 <--- I had straight A's in upper-div classes/a few re-takes, until I got a B- in biochemistry this semester, plus 2 A's in science. Ultimately, though, I know that this isn't good.
Overall - cGPA: 3.26, BCPM: 3.19

Have I ruined my chance at a decent SMP next cycle? I'm still taking more upper division science classes next Fall and Spring. But I'm afraid that despite all of my other "A" grades as a post-bacc, and hopefully more in the future, this B- will kill me. In short, I needed to manage my time better this semester. I will work on that for sure, but I just hope that I haven't destroyed any hope of getting into an SMP, and eventually an M.D. program.

P.S. I don't consider my extracurriculars spectacular, but reasonable for a pre-med. Clinical volunteering experience, lab bench research, health education volunteering, president of a club as an undergrad, etc. I haven't taken an MCAT yet, which obviously is a huge component. But those factors aside, I'm just really worrying about that grade.

Yea, the B- sucks. Recover from it though with all A/A-s from this point forward. You've shown an upward trend. Don't let one tough class drag you down.

Dr Midlife, I'm curious of your opinion on my situation. I went to a CC for two years and was trying to figure out what to do with myself. During that time I rushed myself and picked up 3 terrible C's in math/science courses. After those two years I transferred out and kept my cGpa to a 3.5. After graduation I interned at a state psychiatric hospital conducting research and shadowing multiple psychiatrists for about 9 months. This fall I'm going to NYU's postbacc, but those 3 C's still worry me to death. I plan (as all do) to knock out the post bacc with much hard work. So, I suppose my question is will a full post bacc curriculum with those classes retaken and some upper divisions taken make up for the blunder early on in my academic career?

Dr Midlife, I'm curious of your opinion on my situation. I went to a CC for two years and was trying to figure out what to do with myself. During that time I rushed myself and picked up 3 terrible C's in math/science courses. After those two years I transferred out and kept my cGpa to a 3.5. After graduation I interned at a state psychiatric hospital conducting research and shadowing multiple psychiatrists for about 9 months. This fall I'm going to NYU's postbacc, but those 3 C's still worry me to death. I plan (as all do) to knock out the post bacc with much hard work. So, I suppose my question is will a full post bacc curriculum with those classes retaken and some upper divisions taken make up for the blunder early on in my academic career?
You have to average those C's (and all CC coursework) into your cumulative undergrad GPA. So you'll take a hit in numbers. But it's completely normal to have early mistakes.

Focus on getting all A's in your postbac. That's by far the most powerful step you can take to do well in med school admissions. Strong upward trend. Strong performance in prereqs.

Public service announcement: keep an eye on your debt. Consider cheaper public options in all school decisions.

Best of luck to you.

You have to average those C's (and all CC coursework) into your cumulative undergrad GPA. So you'll take a hit in numbers. But it's completely normal to have early mistakes.

Focus on getting all A's in your postbac. That's by far the most powerful step you can take to do well in med school admissions. Strong upward trend. Strong performance in prereqs.

Public service announcement: keep an eye on your debt. Consider cheaper public options in all school decisions.

Best of luck to you.

With the C's it's still ~3.5 cGpa. Thanks for the debt comment, when taking loans it can definitely creep up on you seemingly out of no where. Thanks for the response and all the help you've given others here as well

Hey guys, kind of in a bad place and looking for some advice, dont really know what to do anymore. I am at a hard university going into 4th year with a gpa of a 2.7. I had a really bad 1st and second year but managed a 3.4 this year. I dont think I'll be able to pull my gpa above a 3 before the end of third year. I took the mcat last summer and got a 32. Any advice on what to do going forward? any SMP that would take me?

Bump please :(

Bump please :(

You'll probably need to get that GPA above a 3.0 after graduation, either with post-bac work or doing a second bachelors. That ought to get you into an SMP, but your MCAT will probably expire before you are applying to med schools. A 32+ MCAT and good performance in a SMP will definitely get you into a US allopathic med school.

Dr Midlife,

I was part of a 8 Year BS/MD program in my (nonCali) state school. I did bad my freshman year (3.0) and was warned that I needed to pull my grades up to the required stats for entry to the Med school (3.5/30). I got 3.5, 3.5, and 3.6 every year after, but still graduated with a 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, and a 29P MCAT with an Honors BS in Molec Cell Biology.

Missed the cutoff by 1 in both categories and got rejected following a poor interview in which I was labelled glib with my answers to questions 'too polished'.

My ECs:

Worked an a Cancer/Infusion Center Summer 09
Shadowed an Ophthalmologist in the Middle East for Summer 10
Undergraduate Research for 4 Semesters with the thesis submitted for my Honors requirement
48 Hours of Hospital ER volunteering

The decision to reject me came a few weeks ago, so I've been scrambling to understand my options, as it is already too late for many special masters programs. I am applying to a few, notably BU, Temple, and Columbia, but this is all very new to me - I didn't at all plan for this as I assumed wrongly that I was a shoe-in due to the 8 Year Program.

In many ways I regret the 8 Year Program as it made me complacent. But that's behind me.

I spoke to the Admissions of the state school Medical School I got rejected from, and they told me I needed more volunteering, more shadowing, and high level coursework with straight grades... and they suggested working on my interview skills.

Currently I am working in the hospital/medical school that rejected me as a research intern for a private startup sponsored by the hospital/medschool, as it was started by a professor who also happens to be on the *dental school committee. I imagine she will give a good LOR.

I'm retaking my MCATs. I did very well on verbal (12) but bad on BS (9) and PS (8). I am focusing on BS and PS this time around and am retaking it in August.

My current plans for the Fall are to either go back to my state school for a fifth year (I somehow had the foresight to delay my graduation) and take the hardest science classes possible and excel... OR enter an SMP. Costs would be WAY lower at my state school for a fifth year, as I applied for financial aid and got a pretty good amount of help.

If the 5th year undergrad is what I end up choosing, I can take a 6 credit EMT class which may force me to take 21 credits (15 of classes, 6 of EMT. Maybe I should take one less class for 12 + 6?)

What are your thoughts? I'm determined to go MD, and if possible, the state school that rejected me the first time around. I hung up their rejection letter in a big poster in my room so I see it every morning. Needless to say, it's been VERY motivating.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts?
You are now in the rank and file of your state's premeds. The alleged asset of doing a BS/MD is over, done, put it behind you. Wash your hands of it. You may not be required to disclose that you did a BS/MD at all, depending on how your transcript reports things.

If there are other public med schools in your state, then stop focusing on your alma mater for med school. You owe them nothing, and getting in there won't undo anything. Get into the cheapest, best med school you can get into. If that's your alma mater, fine.

Now, imho, there is one big huge thing you need to do, and three less huge things you need to do.

Big huge thing: <there isn't a nice way to say this, and you asked for my thoughts...> Grow up faster if you can. Your school's feedback on your med school interview, and your inability to meet the BS/MD requirements, clearly says to me that maturity is the problem here. If you have been living with your parents, and/or living on their dime, then you haven't had a ton of opportunities to make mistakes and clean up your own messes and be responsible for nontrivial things. This isn't a bad thing for the average 21-22 year old, per se, but it's likely keeping you from knowing what responsibility and leadership are, which is likely keeping you out of med school, and it's likely hurting your decision-making capabilities. People my age (over 40) look at 21-22 year olds who are trying to get into med school, and we think "would I want this person making decisions about my health or my kids' health any time soon?" They aren't interviewing your parents. They aren't interviewing some potential fictional future you.

One piece of advice from my past that I love is this: believe in the product. You are the product, and you have to get a med school to buy you. Would you buy you? Would you guarantee you? Would you take a risk on you, instead of taking a sure thing with another product (another med school applicant)? What do you need to do to be a confidence-inspiring, reliable product?

You have an opportunity to take responsibility, to clean up a mess, now, by putting in the time and effort and commitment to overcome your undergrad performance so far. It may take more than a year. It may take skills you don't have yet. It may take a ton of humility. It may not be worth it down the road. But it's an opportunity.

Only a subset of the job of a physician is learned in med school and residency - much of the job is having a powerful work ethic and having people skills and being responsible. You need to master work ethic, people skills and responsibility now.

Less huge thing #1: as your school told you, you need more and better clinical exposure. Other than your thesis, your EC list looks like a high schooler's. I suggest you may be thinking like an MA/CNA/LPN. You need to think like a doctor. What are doctors responsible for, in detail? What are their obstacles on a daily basis? What are they thinking while they're working? What do they have to know about people and processes to get their jobs done?

Use your next clinical volunteering gig to get access to a variety of physicians. Try to get multiple docs to tell you what they hate about med students (and then obsess about how to not be like that). Try to get multiple docs to tell you why you shouldn't do medicine (and then obsess about whether these complaints are valid for you). Try to get multiple docs to tell you about their nightmare experiences with clinic/hospital administration.

Less huge thing #2: Take enough additional difficult undergrad science to demonstrate (to yourself!!!) that you can be the A student you need to be, for med school to not suck. Suffer for a bunch of A's. One more year of undergrad, taking a more-than-full load of all science, at a 3.7+, is what I'm talking about (not a class or two, not retakes, but fresh painful difficult classes). That may be all you need to do for coursework. Or, you may find that you need another year to get it done, and/or that you also need an SMP. Comebacks don't follow a schedule.

Less huge thing #3: Break 31 on the MCAT with no less than a 10 in each section.

There's plenty more to do, such as getting LORs, writing good essays, and making sure you apply early and broadly.

Bottom line: make sure you really, really, really want this. It would be healthy to make sure you have a clue about other careers as well - how do you know that medicine is the only thing you want to do?

Best of luck to you.

DrMidlife, would you/adcoms consider Tulane's MS Pharm program an SMP? You take med pharm with the MS2s, but the balance of the courseload is taught in the grad department of Pharmacology. I just graduated with a 2.83 (upward trend, 4 year athlete, recently diagnosed ADHD etc) and I take the MCAT in January - hoping for a score that's at all analogous to my 99th percentile GRE score. Anyways, I was wondering if knocking this program, that I start in July, + the MS out of the park would set me up for a shot at low-tier MD schools and DO programs.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile

DrMidlife, would you/adcoms consider Tulane's MS Pharm program an SMP? You take med pharm with the MS2s, but the balance of the courseload is taught in the grad department of Pharmacology. I just graduated with a 2.83 (upward trend, 4 year athlete, recently diagnosed ADHD etc) and I take the MCAT in January - hoping for a score that's at all analogous to my 99th percentile GRE score. Anyways, I was wondering if knocking this program, that I start in July, + the MS out of the park would set me up for a shot at low-tier MD schools and DO programs.
If the intent is MD?DO, I consider it a mistake to go into a grad program of any kind with a sub-3.0. More specifically, your last 1-2 years of undergrad should be 3.7+, with mostly hard science classes, to show that you're ready, and to prevent sheer unrelenting misery.

This matters. Don't go to a program that will let you in with a 2.83. It will suck and it won't get you into med school. Leave the Tulane Pharm program to the 3.4 students - it's probably fine for them.

In summary: go do another year or more of full time undergrad, mostly science, and get a 3.7+ before you think about next steps.

Best of luck to you.

If the intent is MD?DO, I consider it a mistake to go into a grad program of any kind with a sub-3.0. More specifically, your last 1-2 years of undergrad should be 3.7+, with mostly hard science classes, to show that you're ready, and to prevent sheer unrelenting misery.

This matters. Don't go to a program that will let you in with a 2.83. It will suck and it won't get you into med school. Leave the Tulane Pharm program to the 3.4 students - it's probably fine for them.

In summary: go do another year or more of full time undergrad, mostly science, and get a 3.7+ before you think about next steps.

Best of luck to you.

I understand the reservation, but I actually got a 3.6 for my final (5th, I did a second B.S.) year, which consisted entirely of senior or graduate level biochem or genetics/cell bio courses. I am cabable of achieving at a high level, but my first 4 years I didn't, for various reasons. Given that I am in the program already - I'm not going to withdraw to do a third bachelor's or a sixth-year post-bacc - do adcoms look at the M.S. pharm program at Tulane as an SMP or is it classified as something else? I outlined the basics of its curricula in the above post if you're not familiar with it offhand. Thanks for your help!

I understand the reservation, but I actually got a 3.6 for my final (5th, I did a second B.S.) year, which consisted entirely of senior or graduate level biochem or genetics/cell bio courses. I am cabable of achieving at a high level, but my first 4 years I didn't, for various reasons. Given that I am in the program already - I'm not going to withdraw to do a third bachelor's or a sixth-year post-bacc - do adcoms look at the M.S. pharm program at Tulane as an SMP or is it classified as something else? I outlined the basics of its curricula in the above post if you're not familiar with it offhand. Thanks for your help!
OK good, that 5th year shows you're ready to work.

I don't think adcoms care about strict definitions, but Tulane Pharm doesn't do what Gtown/Boston/Cincy/EVMS/TulaneACP do (most of the first year of med school as an audition for med school). There are plenty of med school adcoms who will have heard of it as applicants come through, and plenty of med students who did the program: the question is whether your adcoms will have seen successful med students come from Tulane Pharm.

To maximize your chances:
1. wait to apply to med school until after you successfully complete the MS
2. make strong positive impressions on faculty and get letters
3. get a letter from the program director explaining the program
4. don't take the MCAT until you have done honest rigorous prep

Go get 'em.

OK good, that 5th year shows you're ready to work.

I don't think adcoms care about strict definitions, but Tulane Pharm doesn't do what Gtown/Boston/Cincy/EVMS/TulaneACP do (most of the first year of med school as an audition for med school). There are plenty of med school adcoms who will have heard of it as applicants come through, and plenty of med students who did the program: the question is whether your adcoms will have seen successful med students come from Tulane Pharm.

To maximize your chances:
1. wait to apply to med school until after you successfully complete the MS
2. make strong positive impressions on faculty and get letters
3. get a letter from the program director explaining the program
4. don't take the MCAT until you have done honest rigorous prep

Go get 'em.

That's definitely what I plan on doing. I take my MCATs in January, and I'm in the process of getting all of my study materials as we speak. I understand how important a good score (34+) is to offset, in part, my uGPA. The letter from the program director idea is a good one, I'll start pursuing that when I get down to New Orleans next month. Thanks for your help, now it's time to put my nose to the grindstone and work. Hopefully I can post a success story here when I apply next year :)

Former lurker here...
I was hoping to answer my own question by reading the previous posts, but I still think I could benefit from some advice.

cGPA: 3.524
sGPA AMCAS: 3.08, sGPA by ugrad: 3.28 ( I got an F in orgo, but retook it for an A. AMCAS doesn't care tho, so hence the lower actual sGPA :\ )
MCAT: taking it soon. Last year got a 30 with minimal studying, and I am muchh more prepared this year.

Rest of app: research (no publication yet), spent the last year doing significant clinical work, which I thoroughly enjoyed but think it's time to move on, abroad work, other pre-medy stuff

My science GPA sticks out like a sore thumb, so I figured a masters for the next year would help. I got in to the masters in biomedical sciences at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (home state). It has med school classes, so I figured it would be the logical way to show I can do well in medical school. My other option is the NYMC program, which seems to have pretty good med school admission rates. However, the program which really interests me is the MS in global medicine at Keck. It has classes with M1 students, along with science based global medicine classes (rather than public health). This program is more unique, fits more with the theme of my applicaiton, and is actually really really interesting to me.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but finally getting to my questions. 1) With my 3.08 sGPA, is an SMP my best option? 2) If it is, should I apply this year? (I don't mind re-applying next year if it does not work out), 3) Is it better to go the more typical biomedical sciences route, or do the masters which I am more passionate about/fits in my application as a whole?

Also, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong thread! Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Former lurker here...
I was hoping to answer my own question by reading the previous posts, but I still think I could benefit from some advice.

sGPA AMCAS: 3.08, sGPA by ugrad: 3.28 ( I got an F in orgo, but retook it for an A. AMCAS doesn't care tho, so hence the lower actual sGPA :\ )
MCAT: taking it soon. Last year got a 30 with minimal studying, and I am muchh more prepared this year.

Rest of app: research (no publication yet), spent the last year doing significant clinical work, which I thoroughly enjoyed but think it's time to move on, abroad work, other pre-medy stuff

My science GPA sticks out like a sore thumb, so I figured a masters for the next year would help. I got in to the masters in biomedical sciences at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (home state). It has med school classes, so I figured it would be the logical way to show I can do well in medical school. My other option is the NYMC program, which seems to have pretty good med school admission rates. However, the program which really interests me is the MS in global medicine at Keck. It has classes with M1 students, along with science based global medicine classes (rather than public health). This program is more unique, fits more with the theme of my applicaiton, and is actually really really interesting to me.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but finally getting to my questions. 1) With my 3.08 sGPA, is an SMP my best option? 2) If it is, should I apply this year? (I don't mind re-applying next year if it does not work out), 3) Is it better to go the more typical biomedical sciences route, or do the masters which I am more passionate about/fits in my application as a whole?

Also, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong thread! Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
.Not a med student, so take the following with a grain of salt.

It's necessary to clearly define your objective as far as the coming year(s). If you're interested in an MS in Global Medicine, it's something you should absolutely look into. If your objective is to gain entrance to med school by any means necessary, you should pursue the postbacc/SMP that gives you the greatest chance of making that happen. It's a mistake to mix these two.

Your sGPA needs to be compensated for, either through more ugrad science courses or through an SMP. The other option is DO. If you're really only fighting one F (which you have already retaken), your sGPA will be considerably higher on the AACOMAS. But your post sounds like you've got your heart set on allopathic schools.

The USC program is very new with no formal linkage. The Dean of the med school at an established SMP made it very clear to students who had MPHs that they should not expect the adcom to view their MPH degree/coursework as elements that would compensate for a low GPA. They want to see hard science courses at the graduate and/or med school level in those cases. Therefore, in your case, med schools would likely look at your grades in the two med school courses at USC and place much less importance on the remaining parts of the program. Without linkage and without a higher number for your ugrad sGPA, it's a toss-up whether or not the two med school courses will score you an acceptance at an allopathic school.

So, my personal take on your questions &#8211;
1) Yes
2) You'll have the strongest application when your grades from an SMP can be included in your application. Simply saying you will be doing an SMP in the coming year carries little weight. Applying now only makes sense if you plan to attend an SMP with very strong linkage, which will hold and review your file at the end of the year.
3) Choose the program that gives you the best shot at getting into med school. Given your choices, NYMC > RWJ > USC. However, none of these are very solid as far as linkage. With your numbers, I think you can make it into a more "secure" SMP. It is late for this year, but folks are still getting accepted to a few.

If global medicine is something you are very passionate about, it's something you should certainly pursue separately from an SMP.

Just looking for some advice
cGPA 3.11 sGPA 3.18. During the last year of school I got a GPA 3.75. (only took 3 nonsciences the whole year)
MCAT 14PS,11VR, 12 BS (37P).
ECs
I have 9 months research experience in 2 separate labs.
Shadowing Experience and Habitat for Humanity Experience (will be doing more this summer)
I also was a Supplemental Instruction Leader for Biochemistry during my last year of school

I started college in Architecture and didn't really decide to do medicine until last summer. I have a few bad (D's and F's) that happened in 2008-2009 school year. Since I decided to do medicine my grades have gone up (3.91 for the last quarter) I have applied for the Cincy's SMP and am on the top of their waitlist.

My question is: Would it be worth it to even apply this year w/o a spot at the SMP?

I have my application almost complete and its verifying now. Should I wait for an acceptance to apply. And if one never comes, should I just work on my application for a year and hope for an SMP acceptance next year?

1) Yes
2) Apply to SMPs, and then plan on taking a gap year to apply to med schools.
3) You need an SMP - you can take something you are "passionate" about, but it won't do what an SMP will do for your app. (read - nutrition is going to do squat for your app vs a true SMP)
Just looking for some advice
cGPA 3.11 sGPA 3.18. During the last year of school I got a GPA 3.75. (only took 3 nonsciences the whole year)
MCAT 14PS,11VR, 12 BS (37P).
ECs
I have 9 months research experience in 2 separate labs.
Shadowing Experience and Habitat for Humanity Experience (will be doing more this summer)
I also was a Supplemental Instruction Leader for Biochemistry during my last year of school

I started college in Architecture and didn't really decide to do medicine until last summer. I have a few bad (D's and F's) that happened in 2008-2009 school year. Since I decided to do medicine my grades have gone up (3.91 for the last quarter) I have applied for the Cincy's SMP and am on the top of their waitlist.

My question is: Would it be worth it to even apply this year w/o a spot at the SMP?
Great MCAT, poor overall GPA but upward trend - you are tailor made for an SMP. Do not apply to med schools this cycle - a re-app is considered differently than a first-time app. You need some SMP coursework to add to your app before you apply IMO

I'm tired of low GPA threads. In lieu of another mindless low GPA post, I've decided to take it upon myself to start a trend for people like me that that refuse to suck up to adcoms and write polished personal statements about unfortunate personal tragedies that led to subpar academic performance. Allow me to start the ball rolling, and feel free to add a drumroll:

I had a few years in community college where I was partying, working odd jobs, and enjoying my irresponsible youth. I had a few semesters of D's and F's in bonehead classes at community college. I'm refusing to be held emotionally hostage by these phantoms of my past.

I aced nursing school, organic chemistry, and other assorted difficult things.

I eat sarcastic medical receptionists for lunch, and sometimes follow it up with an andes mint.

Adcoms don't like the cut of my jib? Screw you.

Deny me, and I'll go to the Caribbean and get my MD anyways, and come back with a tan. You don't own the keys to my future.

Georgetown MS in Physio, Tufts, or Boston all sound nice. Cincinatti, maybe. USC MS Global Health is on my short list, too.

I'm out.

Last edited:
I'm tired of low GPA threads. In lieu of another mindless low GPA post, I've decided to take it upon myself to start a trend for people like me that that refuse to suck up to adcoms and write polished personal statements about unfortunate personal tragedies that led to subpar academic performance. Allow me to start the ball rolling, and feel free to add a drumroll:

I had a few years in community college where I was partying, working odd jobs, and enjoying my irresponsible youth. I had a few semesters of D's and F's in bonehead classes at community college. I'm refusing to be held emotionally hostage by these phantoms of my past.

I aced nursing school, organic chemistry, and other assorted difficult things.

I eat sarcastic medical receptionists for lunch, and sometimes follow it up with an andes mint.

Deny me, and I'll go to the Caribbean and get my MD anyways, and come back with a tan. You don't own the keys to my future.

Georgetown MS in Physio, Tufts, or Boston all sound nice. Cincinatti, maybe. USC MS Global Health is on my short list, too.

I'm out.
hahah that was refreshing and yet completely delusional - you do know that you have to interview for residencies too right? So while you can go to the Carib, maybe get an MD (but honestly, Ds and Fs in community college...), the adcom for a residency program doesnt have to like the cut of your jib either. and then you are $250k+ in the whole and no-one will hire you. So, adcoms do kinda own the keys to your future - you can decide yourself how much you want to placate them.

One has to play the game to a degree. Thats just part of life.

hahah that was refreshing and yet completely delusional - you do know that you have to interview for residencies too right? So while you can go to the Carib, maybe get an MD (but honestly, Ds and Fs in community college...), the adcom for a residency program doesnt have to like the cut of your jib either. and then you are $250k+ in the whole and no-one will hire you. So, adcoms do kinda own the keys to your future - you can decide yourself how much you want to placate them.

One has to play the game to a degree. Thats just part of life.

Thanks for the reply, but there's nothing delusional about having a winning attitude.

Crying poor me won't get you anywhere, IME. You think that adcoms don't see poor me letters on a daily basis?

The point of my post is to show people reading this that they must be unapologetic about whatever circumstances befell their grades.

If they are apologetic, even in the slightest, then that's a red flag for accountability that they should have taken along the line to fix their grading issue, which, by implication, did not happen.

Besides, If you're a practicing physician, what's going to happen when a patient comes in with shortness of breath, pain in their left arm, dizziness, and heart palpitations? Are you going to say some BS line about how you feel bad for yourself because of a relationship issue you had 10 years ago that messed up your calculus grade? And, thank god that an adcom took sympathy upon you?

Try running those types of emotions up the flag pole into a stressful situation where you're under the gun, and see how far they take you. You'll crack from the pressure, and start looking for someone to blame, because you never developed the habit of taking accountability and running with what you have.

Here's a quote that I like from a Rocky movie that has served me well:

."When things got hard, you started looking for something to blame. Like a Big Shadow. Let me tell you something you already know. The worlds aren’t all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it....
You've gotta hit as hard as life. It isn’t about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much can you take and keep moving forward? That's how winning is done.

If you know what you're worth,Go out and Get What Your Worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers saying you aren’t where you wanna be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that and that aren’t you. You're better than that."

Good luck with that.

Thanks for the reply, but there's nothing delusional about having a winning attitude.
I can't stand you so far, so you're not winning here.

If you want to be taken seriously on SDN, post useful information based on your hard-won successes, not imaginings of how things should be.

Best of luck to you.

Good luck with that.

I can't stand you so far, so you're not winning here.

If you want to be taken seriously on SDN, post useful information based on your hard-won successes, not imaginings of how things should be.

Best of luck to you.

The point of an admissions committee is to evaluate your ability to succeed AS A PHYSICIAN, not to judge the worthiness of an excuse you have for getting bad grades.

If you haven't learned how to overcome obstacles, grit your teeth, and be a haggard, tireless working dog, you're going to get run over in the hospital by a thousand other people.

Go work on your snarl in the mirror, and get back to me.

THIS IS SPARTA

Last edited:
The point of an admissions committee is to evaluate your ability to succeed AS A PHYSICIAN, not to judge the worthiness of an excuse you have for getting bad grades.

If you haven't learned how to overcome obstacles, grit your teeth, and be a haggard, tireless working dog, you're going to get run over in the hospital by a thousand other people.

THIS IS SPARTA

CPIstan, I have to say that I sometimes do share your volatile feelings towards the medical school application process. However, you have to realize that although in your mind you 'know' that you will make an excellent physician, the world needs to see some proof of that. You cannot just spout out an Al Pacino scent-of-a-woman-like speech and POOF, your past indiscretions are gone. You need to run the gauntlet and transform your frustration into an energy that will drive you forward. A few years ago I was in a hole so deep that I only saw more darkness when I looked up. But I did not give up. I used the energy that I feel you now have to prove myself worthy, despite all that was against me. And what happened? I ended up achieving a 3.9 post-bacc GPA in 10 upper-level science courses while working full-time with patients, volunteering in the ER, shadowing ER physicians, gaining great LORs, and most importantly realizing my true capabilities. I am now headed to a SMP this August, which I believe will 'seal the deal' as they say.

The point is, it seems like you have found an energy and drive inside of you, given your aforementioned comments. However, you need to focus that energy towards achieving real things that will bring you closer to your new goal: becoming a physician. Don't waste it on pointless whining, as I feel you can do so much more! I sincerely wish you the best.

And this is NOT Sparta; this is LIFE.

Please do let us know on your progress.:thumbup:

AMCAS cGPA 3.03, sGPA 3.15
MCAT #1 V6 P11 B10
MCAT #2 V11 P10 B10

Texas resident

last ~100 credits of hard science avg 25 credits/semester of 4.0

10 year old grades from community college which consists of 2 semesters of F's and W's.

My question is should I wait to apply next year with texas fresh start which would improve my tx cGPA to 3.55 and sGPA to 3.65 or should I just apply this year and next if I dont get in? I have already applied last year but withdrew my applications after primaries due to my low MCAT score. Will applying this extra time lower my chances in any way?

This comeback has been 3 years in the making

Last edited:
Never mind. I should really check old thread for new responses

I have been Dead on Arrival from the start. I am completely flat lined. I have a cGPA of a 2.6.:eek: I know I have a lot of work to do before I can even consider going to medical school. I know it is my fault that I am here dealing with depression, working, procrastination, etc. I understand all of things contributed to my down fall. It's been two years since my last class I am going to get back into this. Here is my plan.

I have been accepted into a second masters program. I am coming in with almost 90 credits transferred. Some of the courses I will be taking in order to complete my degree is genetics, English, physiology, micro bio, molecular bio, immunology, computer class, and may be another science. I know I need 30 credits to finish the degree and those classes come up to 30 credits. I also know I need to get all As in those courses or at least have a 3.7 due to reading this thread. For my degree because I want the certification I have to do a clinical which involves taking courses such as clinical hematology, clinical immunohematology, clinical chemistry, etc. which is another 31-37 credits (depending on where you go). The degree is a biomedical technology/medical technology degree/cert.

I was thinking about retaking the MCAT. Took it once bad idea/wasn't prepared. Then apply to SMPs program then apply to medical school.

I know it is going to take me a good 3-4 years (second bachelors (2 years)/SMP (1-2 years)). I am okay with that. I know it is going to take money (already 22,000+ in dept). I am okay with that too.

Is this a good plan? Would you guys recommend do something extra or take some things out? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

THIS IS SPARTA

You aced nursing school. . .but how did you function in the whole of it, which areas, and for how long? Are you for real or just trolling?

You have no idea what some people here have gone through on their paths to medical school and thereafter.

Look, I support advocacy in nursing; but the tough-as-canonballs, I-know-better-than-you kind of nurse, or doc for that matter, is tough to take. . .for anyone.

It's people with whom we must work well. Guess what? It is people who sit on adcoms that are thinking, "What would it be like to work with someone like this?" Why are they thinking this? Well, that's b/c medicine is a field that involves loads of collaboration and coalition-building.

I've worked with nurses that had similar attitudes as yours--that treated med students, first years, and residents rather poorly--that give others nurses a bad name. It's disheartening and counterproductive to be around.

I'm sorry. I hope you are just messing around. If not, well, you sound like a real people person. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I screwed up in undergrad. My dad had cancer in my second and third year and I drove ~30 hours every weekend from OH to NH and back to see him, but I was unable to overcome this adversity and I know it's not an excuse. I know this is a long read, but I would really appreciate any and all input. Here are my credentials:

• 3.2 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA (DO: 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA)
  • good grades freshman and senior year, very bad grades sophomore and junior year
  • 33N MCAT (10P, 13V, 10B)
  • graduating in a month with a BS in Molecular Genetics from Ohio State
  • currently ~50 hours of shadowing (nephrology, cardiology, forensic pathology, reproductive endocrinology, physical therapy, nursing, dietetics, pharmacy) and
  • working on more (nephrology, forensic pathology, primary care, podiatry) before the end of the summer
  • ECs: genetics research (2 years, no publications or posters), service based musical theatre group (performed in 5 shows, tons of community service, leadership role for two years), resident advisor (2 years), italian club (treasurer for one year), freshman dorm activities council (treasurer), several jobs (Summer Conference Housing at OSU for two years with a leadership role for one, Old Navy, UPS, front desk of dorm freshman year)
  • working full time starting in August doing research with the Director of Nephrology and Vice Chair of Research at Ohio State's med center (will likely get my name on several publications)
  • LORs: one from my mentor/an MD nephrologist who I've seen as a patient and shadowed for 2 years (should be a great letter), one from my PI for the last two years (her English is poor, but it should be a decent letter), one from my Biochem prof (from the retake of the class to show my "redemption"--should be good), one from the Franklin Country Coroner (a DO, should be ok)
  • retaking classes at night next year to get the sGPA above a 3.0
  • retaking the MCAT because I know I'm capable of 37+
  • currently a NH (0 in-state schools) resident, but will be an Ohio resident when I apply (6 in-state schools)
So here are my questions:

1) After doing research for a year and getting the sGPA>3.0, I have two options I'm considering: (1) Continue working in the lab, accumulate more publications, and simultaneously get an MS in anatomy (2 year program, hard sciences, several courses taken with M1s) from OSU for free (my job would pay for it); or (2) work in the lab for only one year and hopefully get into BU's SMP program. Which one of these would look better, the MS or the SMP?

2) Here are all of the classes I in which got below a B- (on a quarter system):
Organic Chem 2: C
Organic Chem 3: C+
Organic Chem Lab 1: C
Organic Chem Lab 2: C
Biochemistry: C- (retake: A)
Molecular Genetics 2: C-
Anatomy: D (retake:A)
Physics 3: C+
I'll probably only be able to retake 2-3 classes during the upcoming year, so which should I make my priority? The caveat is that I'll have to retake them on a semester system. Right now I'm thinking I'll take Organic Chem 2 (covers the first half of my original Orgo 2 and all of Orgo 3), Physics 2 (covers my original Physics 3), and Orgo Lab 1. I've already retaken Biochem and Anatomy.

(3) After completing the MS/SMP (and earning a >3.8 GPA), retaking the MCAT (score >36), and retaking 2-3 of the undergrad courses I listed (bringing my sGPA to ~3.1), what would you say my shot is at an MD?

(4) I understand that many DO schools require a LOR from a DO. Does it look bad if the DO is in a specialty other than Primary Care? Specifically, the DO I am currently shadowing is the Coroner of Ohio State's county.

(5) The only direct patient interaction I have to speak of is singing to pediatric oncology patients with a musical theatre group I was involved with (only three times for ~2 hours each time). Do I need more than that? I could get a weekend job providing care to developmentally disabled adults if I need to/if it would count for "clinical experience."

(6) A new DO school is opening in Columbus, OH in the next couple of years. If I were to attend that in one of the first classes, would that impact my residency match (OBGYN or internal med) chances?

(7) How are my LORs looking? I am family friends with the Chief Medical Officer at Mass General Hospital, and I know he would write me a LOR if I asked. I will also probably get one from the Director of Nephrology at OSU (my new PI).

(8) Are adcoms willing to meet with people like me, or would requesting a meeting make me appear needy?

Summary: I will end up with a 3.1 sGPA and 3.25 cGPA (DO: 3.3 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA) and a 36+ MCAT. Would excelling in the BU MAMS program or the OSU MS in Anatomy program give me a realistic shot at an in-state MD school? Does a DO LOR from a non-primary care DO look bad? How much "clinical experience" should I have? Are adcoms willing to meet with/advise people like me?

1) After doing research for a year and getting the sGPA>3.0, I have two options I'm considering: (1) Continue working in the lab, accumulate more publications, and simultaneously get an MS in anatomy (2 year program, hard sciences, several courses taken with M1s) from OSU for free (my job would pay for it); or (2) work in the lab for only one year and hopefully get into BU's SMP program. Which one of these would look better, the MS or the SMP?
I don't have an answer for you. My only advice: do not simply assume you'll get your name on publications. It sounds like your moving into a better lab. While you might assume that means more publications often it means more higher-impact publications. My PI wants every project we undertake to be Nature Medicine quality.

2) Here are all of the classes I in which got below a B- (on a quarter system):
Organic Chem 2: C
Organic Chem 3: C+
Organic Chem Lab 1: C
Organic Chem Lab 2: C
Biochemistry: C- (retake: A)
Molecular Genetics 2: C-
Anatomy: D (retake:A)
Physics 3: C+
I'll probably only be able to retake 2-3 classes during the upcoming year, so which should I make my priority? The caveat is that I'll have to retake them on a semester system. Right now I'm thinking I'll take Organic Chem 2 (covers the first half of my original Orgo 2 and all of Orgo 3), Physics 2 (covers my original Physics 3), and Orgo Lab 1. I've already retaken Biochem and Anatomy.
I'd take Orgo 2 w/ lab, Physics 2 w/ lab and Molecular genetics. Molecular genetics is your major, you should be able to get an A in that class.

(3) After completing the MS/SMP (and earning a >3.8 GPA), retaking the MCAT (score >36), and retaking 2-3 of the undergrad courses I listed (bringing my sGPA to ~3.1), what would you say my shot is at an MD?
The biggest hole in your application is lack of patient care experience. Shadowing is nice, but they want to see clinical exposure in either a volunteer or paid setting. I think if you do very well in your SMP you have a chance at MD.

(4) I understand that many DO schools require a LOR from a DO. Does it look bad if the DO is in a specialty other than Primary Care? Specifically, the DO I am currently shadowing is the Coroner of Ohio State's county.
Nope, a letter is a letter.

(5) The only direct patient interaction I have to speak of is singing to pediatric oncology patients with a musical theatre group I was involved with (only three times for ~2 hours each time). Do I need more than that? I could get a weekend job providing care to developmentally disabled adults if I need to/if it would count for "clinical experience."
Yes, you need more patient care experience. If you can smell the patients it's clinical experience.

(6) A new DO school is opening in Columbus, OH in the next couple of years. If I were to attend that in one of the first classes, would that impact my residency match (OBGYN or internal med) chances?
Do well on your exams and you should be able to match into either of those. The only specialties where DO may have trouble matching are radiology, oncology, anesthesiology, dermatology and surgery.

(7) How are my LORs looking? I am family friends with the Chief Medical Officer at Mass General Hospital, and I know he would write me a LOR if I asked. I will also probably get one from the Director of Nephrology at OSU (my new PI).
The MGH letter is a no-go. Most schools explicitly state that letters from friends are frowned upon. What basis does he have for writing you a letter? "derpderpderp and I have had dinner and he told me he wants to be a doctor. . . " It will look bad for you because it's clear you're just using him for his name and title when you've had zero experience working together. You need at least two more academic letters: one from a science professor and one from a non-science professor. Many schools require three academic letters.

(8) Are adcoms willing to meet with people like me, or would requesting a meeting make me appear needy?
No harm done in asking them what would be your best course of action for making your application as attractive as possible.

Summary: You should have enough clinical experience that you can talk about it with passion at an interview. It should also convince adcoms that you've gained exposure to the field, and that you know what you're getting yourself into. Success in an SMP gives you a good shot at in-state MD as long as the rest of your application is extremely strong.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Not sure what to think about this app season and was hoping some of you more experienced folks could share your thoughts about my chances/plans.

cGPA 3.24
sGPA 3.92
40S MCAT (woo)

I screwed around with no real goals in college and graduated with around a 3.0 gpa. My grades are weird-- I did horribly in very easy classes (didn't show up) and well in the upper level classes. I was definitely not interested in the classroom. I did a lot art things instead.

Worked a job while I pursued lots of artistic things for a few years (had a band, did comedy) and then finally decided to pursue a career that really meant something to me. I know now that I am really happy when I am doing this stuff (medicine, science) and am 100% confident that this is the only career for me.

did a post bacc in two years, aced all the prereqs, was a TA and taught one of the prereqs, and volunteered for a few hours a week (sometimes a lot more) at a really great health center for an under served population. Now I work full time at a really fascinating clinical research job, and am coordinating two studies. i get to work with patients and doctors and am involved in some cutting edge stuff. I still volunteer, will teach in the fall, and will take one class as well.

Unfortunately, there is no state school available to me, so I applied broadly to private schools and outsider friendly public schools on the east coast. If I don't get in this year, my plan is to reassess, and decide whether or not I want to pay for an SMP, or apply DO. I might be interested in academic medicine, and so DO scares me a little. but just a little. thanks for reading.

tl;dr meh gpa, great science gpa from pre-reqs in a post bacc, 40 mcat, meh extra curriculars, wants to be a doctor

Looking for some guidance here as well. After I plugged in all of my AACOMAS grades, this is what I'm left with:

cGPA: 2.87
sGPA: 2.87
MCAT: 26/24 (stupid me.. should've postponed due to close family death)/Retaken July 14

I ****ed up. It was a rough time with life and family I was living with, so I wasn't entirely focused on school. I look at my transcripts from back then and I want to shake my past self because I hardly recognize that person. I didn't know how to fix things except for just repeatedly throwing myself at a brick wall over and over again. Personally, I've learned a lot about myself since then, have a better support system, and I truly get the best ways to study that work for me. I've never felt more prepared mentally and emotionally to be in med school, until I actually got down to the application.

I've been in a post-bacc program for a couple years, with an upward trend in grades. I have strong LORs from a professor, employer, and DO shadowing. My EC's are pretty good (Lab Research for two years, hospital internship for 1.5 years, community clinic w/leadership position 1 year+, academic sorority, DO/MD shadowing 30+ hours).

Ultimately, where should I go from here?

I'm too screwed right now for MD schools, but I'm also applying DO (my main focus, I don't currently intend to go through any of the competitive specialties). A few paths I've been thinking based on searches:

#1 - Another year of post-bacc.
I do have an F in Japanese that I can retake, and perhaps retake the one C I got in my post bacc from Medical Physiology (I took the class before I had taken the prereq class, so it was way too tough on me, plus there was some subjective grading issues). Other than that, just grabbing any other BCPM class offered by my post bacc, plus other extension classes to get a full load, ace them all, then apply next year.

#2 - Another year of post-bacc + SMP
I've been looking at mainly DO SMP's (Touro-CA, Touro-NV, Western, off the top of my head). My main concern is if it would be a "waste" of money to do both programs. But they also offer linkages with their programs, and they're definitely at the top of my list.

#3 - Just apply to the SMP's I've already mentioned
Take this time to work on EC's, work, more shadowing,

I'm also on the fence about applying to a handful of DO's this cycle. I feel like it would be a waste of time/money to do so, but you never know. I'd appreciate any help, advice, or SMP recommendations. Thanks in advance.