Rush RadOnc Program has a Step I 225 cut-off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the Rush Medical Center websuite:
"Because of the large number of applicants, personal interviews with every applicant are not possible. The program will select from applicants with a minimum 225 USMLE Step 1 score."

Link: http://www.rush.edu/professionals/gme/radoncology/application.html

This is the first I've ever seen a published minimum score for a RadOnc residency program. Does anybody know of others? It might save applicants time and trouble in applying to programs where they may not even be considered.

Members don't see this ad.

As a soon-to-be Rush grad (T minus 11 days and counting) who happens to have matched in Rad Onc, I know a little about this program and how they work. Yes, they talk about the 225 cutoff for Step 1. This was posted three application cycles ago when there was a huge surge in apps to the specialty. They will (on the record) state that they still utilize this score as a cutoff; however, I know for a fact that there was more than one interviewee this year with Step 1 scores under that threshold. Both of us Rush applicants were above this, so that means that they even entertained "outsiders" with lower board scores. And it wasn't just courtesy interviews for people who rotated at Rush either as they haven't had someone form a school outside Illinois for a couple years. Basically the program secretary is extraordinarily lazy and out of it every day and probably put this on the website to go through fewer apps. She didn't even get the PD software installed until a few days before the application deadline!

At least they finally got their new chair!

Adawaal

Hmmm. . . an extremely interesting post Adawaal. Thanks for sharing! It's good to know that the cut-off is not as absolute as it sounds.

ADDED: BTW, Congrats on obtaining a residency slot. While you are in training, please don't forget the poor schlubs in this forum who hope to accomplish what you have. :oops: Best of luck!

Gfunk6 said:
Hmmm. . . an extremely interesting post Adawaal. Thanks for sharing! It's good to know that the cut-off is not as absolute as it sounds.

ADDED: BTW, Congrats on obtaining a residency slot. While you are in training, please don't forget the poor schlubs in this forum who hope to accomplish what you have. :oops: Best of luck!

Gfunk --

Thanks for the kind words. I only got my 2nd choice, but my #1 was a kind of "pie in the sky" stab. I'll definitely need all the luck I can get, especially for this intern year in Internal Medicine. Ugh! :scared: