RadOnc Job Market: Back to the Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elementaryschooleconomics

Mask on, Aquaplast, Mask off.
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1703043604808.png

The majority (2/3rds) of Radiation Oncologists are employees.

The "party line" from ASTRO has been - and continues to be - "unemployment is low, everything is fine".

I would point out that over the last seven years we have seen an unprecedented collapse of organizations that employ Radiation Oncologists and/or supply their capital equipment.

At what point are we going to stop spinning press releases and censoring workforce panels and realize:

Using physician unemployment as your benchmark while ignoring massive levels of institutional insolvency is the equivalent of getting excited about a drug that improves progression-free survival but decreases overall survival.

I wouldn't prescribe that drug.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
View attachment 379961

The majority (2/3rds) of Radiation Oncologists are employees.

The "party line" from ASTRO has been - and continues to be - "unemployment is low, everything is fine".

I would point out that over the last seven years we have seen an unprecedented collapse of organizations that employ Radiation Oncologists and/or supply their capital equipment.

At what point are we going to stop spinning press releases and censoring workforce panels and realize:

Using physician unemployment as your benchmark while ignoring massive levels of institutional insolvency is the equivalent of getting excited about a drug that improves progression-free survival but decreases overall survival.

I wouldn't prescribe that drug.

You have to submit that poster to Astro 2024.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users