Miracles do happen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NGemie

Hi
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who think they won't get into medical school....
Two weeks ago, I found out I was number 253 on a waitlist. I called admissions to see what I can do and they said "show lots of interest".
So, I wrote everyday. Be creative, be persistant...it works!
Today, I received a call from them and was offered a spot. Four days before classes start!
I cannot believe I am going to be a doctor in four years!

:luck: Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

oh my gosh, that's a wonderful story. i can only imagine how great you must feel right now :) congratulations a hundred times on your fantastic accomplishment :) :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck. :thumbup:

I am just a little curies what are you stats.

Congratulations!

wow, amazing....you totally deserve it!

where school is it??

EVMS.

Look at NGemie's previous posts.

Congrats on your acceptance. :thumbup:

Jason

Your hard work finally paid off....GOOD LUCK!

Wow! Congratulations!!! :)

That is awesome! Congratulations! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations ad good luck :oops: :luck:

congratulations on the acceptance!!! that is totally awesome and a lesson to others that persistance does pay off. :thumbup: :thumbup:

brilliant...
o the wonders of this wide world!
congrats and good luck

That's great news! I'd love to have someone like you who is so dedicated to medicine as my doctor.
Good luck!

NGemie said:
Two weeks ago, I found out I was number 253 on a waitlist. I called admissions to see what I can do and they said "show lots of interest".
Today, I received a call from them and was offered a spot. Four days before classes start!

Oh wow! Congrats! I've heard advice from ppl to always follow through on interviews and stuff I guess it does work...Again congrats! =)

NGemie said:

i think everyone will agree with me on this one. i just can't get enough of things like this. :)

Congratulations!!! That's amazing. I have a question: how do you take care of things like financial aid that have a processing time of a couple weeks? or are you expected pay out of pocket?

Hey everyone....thank you so much!! It's still so surreal to me.
I really appreciate all of your replies and hope that my story will inspire some who think they "can't".
I had so many pre-med advisors and fellow students tell me that it's not going to happen...I wasn't a stellar applicant, I had a 3.5 GPA, 28Q, and lots of volunteering. But this is what I want to do with my life and I was determined to make it happen (and prove everybody wrong).
I really wrote everyday, just updating the Dean and expressing my interest to attend his school. I wrote everyday for about 2 and a half weeks. But, the thing that sealed the deal, that brought me to the top of the waitlist (so the Dean told me) was I made a small door and glued a fake foot through it. I attached a note saying "Just trying to get my foot in the door!"...I know its so silly and some of you are rolling your eyes! I almost didn't send it because I thought it might count against me! He told me it sits on his desk and everytime he looks at it, he just laughs.
He personally called to tell me I had a spot, I think we've become good friends!
I haven't even thought about how I'm going to pay for it yet...I've saved some scholarship money and have applied for loans.
I called my dad and after he got over the initial excitement, he said "Oh man...how are we gonna pay for this?!" Haha. But, I'll figure it out.
Thank you for all the support and good luck for those who are applying and waiting to hear still!
Let me know if I can help in any way.

just adding my congrats! you are awesome! :D :D :D

Great Story! It's wonderful to see persistence pay off!!! :clap: :clap:

NYCDawg81 said:
First off, have to say congradulations! I'm dam excited to hear such a underdog story as I will probably have to go through something of your route to get into a school.

Second, your story raises questions in my mind though? How does a selection of an admission work? Who calls the shots? Does the dean of admissions call the final shot? Is it the overall combination of votes of the committee that decides an admission? Asking because I am destined for the wait list if any.

Would appreciate any info anybody can give. And once again, Congrats on the admission!!!! :thumbup:
Hey there...thank you for the support and good luck in this coming year, I'm sure you'll do fine!
I think whoever calls the shots is different at each medical school...sometimes its the Dean, sometimes the whole committee.
Initially, its the admissions committee....they vote to Reject, Waitlist, or Accept. After that, I think its different at each school, in my case it was the Dean. If you call and ask the admissions office, they will tell you who is in charge.
Usually, the waitlist is ranked...but fluid. As you can see, in my case...sending transcripts, expressing interest, updates can change your position! You can go down or up...but in the end, they just want to accept people who will attend.

That is wonderful! Enjoy yourself on this journey. :)

NGemie said:
Hey everyone....thank you so much!! It's still so surreal to me.
I really appreciate all of your replies and hope that my story will inspire some who think they "can't".
I had so many pre-med advisors and fellow students tell me that it's not going to happen...I wasn't a stellar applicant, I had a 3.5 GPA, 28Q, and lots of volunteering. But this is what I want to do with my life and I was determined to make it happen (and prove everybody wrong).
I really wrote everyday, just updating the Dean and expressing my interest to attend his school. I wrote everyday for about 2 and a half weeks. But, the thing that sealed the deal, that brought me to the top of the waitlist (so the Dean told me) was I made a small door and glued a fake foot through it. I attached a note saying "Just trying to get my foot in the door!"...I know its so silly and some of you are rolling your eyes! I almost didn't send it because I thought it might count against me! He told me it sits on his desk and everytime he looks at it, he just laughs.
He personally called to tell me I had a spot, I think we've become good friends!
I haven't even thought about how I'm going to pay for it yet...I've saved some scholarship money and have applied for loans.
I called my dad and after he got over the initial excitement, he said "Oh man...how are we gonna pay for this?!" Haha. But, I'll figure it out.
Thank you for all the support and good luck for those who are applying and waiting to hear still!
Let me know if I can help in any way.

dont believe this story

Although I'm extremely happy for anyone who gets into medical school, I thought I heard/read the "foot in the door" story somewhere, perhaps in an "Applying to medical school" book. I have a hard time believing that a little arts & crafts is going to make the difference, but regardless...I'm very happy to anyone who is enthusiastic about learning to be able to realize his/her dream.

congrats on your achievement. just goes to show how persistence pays off. good luck!!! :)

sanford brown's book, "getiing into med school" has an identical story about the door and foot. I'm assuming you followed that story. good decision. congrats! and good luck!

randallB said:
Although I'm extremely happy for anyone who gets into medical school, I thought I heard/read the "foot in the door" story somewhere, perhaps in an "Applying to medical school" book. I have a hard time believing that a little arts & crafts is going to make the difference, but regardless...I'm very happy to anyone who is enthusiastic about learning to be able to realize his/her dream.

i heard the "foot in the door" thing when applying for ugrad. I remember reading someone had sent in a duke hat to Duke saying that he'd pick it up when he got there during orientation or something, but the ppl who got it just threw it out and said poor guy probably wasn't going to get in. So, these things are usually during the beginning of the process, not the end. congrats anyway, so cool. :)

derf said:
sanford brown's book, "getiing into med school" has an identical story about the door and foot. I'm assuming you followed that story. good decision. congrats! and good luck!
I did read that book and got the idea from there. Although the student used a life-size door and sneaker. I couldn't afford that!
I thought it was clever and decided it couldn't hurt! I almost didn't do it, but I'm glad I did.
I also made fortune cookies saying the school will prosper if it accepts me, etc.
You might not believe it, but the Dean said my creativity showed my dedication and interest and it brought me to the top.

medicalstudent9 said:
dont believe this story

Yea I agree. I believed this whole post until the whole foot in the door thing. However, regardless of it's truthfulness, I don't see any harm in giving inspiration to others. good luck everyone.

blz said:
Yea I agree. I believed this whole post until the whole foot in the door thing. However, regardess of it's truthfulness, I don't see any harm in giving inspiration to others. good luck everyone.

What's wrong with "a foot in the door"? :confused:

I agree it's pretty unbelievable!
It's still surreal to me!!!

NGemie said:
I did read that book and got the idea from there. Although the student used a life-size door and sneaker. I couldn't afford that!
I thought it was clever and decided it couldn't hurt! I almost didn't do it, but I'm glad I did.
I also made fortune cookies saying the school will prosper if it accepts me, etc.
You might not believe it, but the Dean said my creativity showed my dedication and interest and it brought me to the top.

a doctor needs to know how to be creative in certain positions. By the looks of it you are going to get a great doctor. :laugh:

Haha I remember last year when i applied to many undergrad insitutions, i sprayed every page of the apps w/ cologne. :laugh:

Thanks for the info ngenie. Going to use your story as my motivation to continue taking the initiative in the remainder of my application process.

I believe the story is true...im sure after looking through thousands of applicants with similar numbers and motivations...they all start to look the same

maybe this dean was like screw it, let me do something out of the ordinary for once. :thumbup:

and its not like 3.5 and a 28 is horrible to begin with...not perfect but competitive

Thank you all for your posts! My face hurts from smiling so much.
I posted because I hope my story can inspire some.
In all my excitement today I made a mistake :eek:! I found out I was #253 on the 19th of July, and I wrote everyday after that. And 2 weeks ago, I found out that the Dean moved me to number one on the waitlist (I continued to write him for the past two weeks)...but there hadn't been any movement until today at 3:00 p.m.!
Your encouragement and congrats really mean alot to me. I'm gonna work hard and make you guys proud! :D

wow that's so wonderful. I was just feeling down and apprehensive about all my stuff thanks so much for sharing that. :)

that's wonderful!!! i have a similar story (although I didn't do anything creative) - for anyone who will be in my boat.

I have been on the alternate list since march, and I just got in last week!!!!! I really think what helped me is that since March, I have been regularly writing and sending in updates. They were usually about once a month, and I wrote EVERYTHING that I could think of that would help me (new volunteer activities, interesting experiences, new research experiences, why the school was my top choice, etc). Also, during the waitlisted period, I actively sought out doing new things (like new contributions I was making in volunteering and research, etc). DO NOT GIVE UP. as long as one is not annoying about it, the more you keep them uptodate, the more your name is on their mind when a spot opens up. (by the way, my stats were NOT great: 3.2 gpa, 28 MCAT).

GOOD LUCK TO everyone!!! And if it doesn't work out one year, TRY AGAIN!!! (that's what I did, and I'm so glad now =) . peace.

Reactions: 1 user
Do'h! Not the ole foot in the door :laugh:

ball372 said:
that's wonderful!!! i have a similar story (although I didn't do anything creative) - for anyone who will be in my boat.

I have been on the alternate list since march, and I just got in last week!!!!! I really think what helped me is that since March, I have been regularly writing and sending in updates. They were usually about once a month, and I wrote EVERYTHING that I could think of that would help me (new volunteer activities, interesting experiences, new research experiences, why the school was my top choice, etc). Also, during the waitlisted period, I actively sought out doing new things (like new contributions I was making in volunteering and research, etc). DO NOT GIVE UP. as long as one is not annoying about it, the more you keep them uptodate, the more your name is on their mind when a spot opens up. (by the way, my stats were NOT great: 3.2 gpa, 28 MCAT).

GOOD LUCK TO everyone!!! And if it doesn't work out one year, TRY AGAIN!!! (that's what I did, and I'm so glad now =) . peace.
Yay! Congrats ball372!

ok so now i have hope again....after reading threads and threads about 3.7's and 35 plus mcats....whew....thanks for the inspiration, yall

congrats to the people who got pulled from the waitlists. it must be an awesome feeling.

however, i caution everyone reading. for every 3.5 28 that gets in there are probably a lot more that don't get in. (i was once of them...and i had a 3.8) dont look at these stories and think that with a 3.5 and 28 you are a shoo-in for medical school. instead i recommend taking an extra year off and boosting your mcat score so you wont have to stuggle with the anxiety of being on waitlists.

just bringing in a dose of reality.