Pharm Tech Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CityMermaid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how much PharmTechs make?
Mainly at a Walgreens or WalMart?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where you live.

Here in WV where cost of living is anemic so the hourly rate starting out is about minimum wage at a retail pharmacy to $8/hour at a hopital. From what I understand, in places where cost of living is higher, pharmacy technicians can expect to make up to $15/hour starting out.

Thanks,
I guess mainly I'm interested in Chicago and UP Michigan in general, but I'm curious what it is elsewhere as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
CityMermaid said:
Thanks,
I guess mainly I'm interested in Chicago and UP Michigan in general, but I'm curious what it is elsewhere as well.
Probably around 7-9 bucks/hr in MI or IL. They start around $12-14/hr here, but I remember starting at $6.50/hr in '99 in MI.

I live in Durham, North Carolina and make about $10.25 per hour at Kerr Drug (in-state chain, about 100 stores total). People at Eckerd/CVS etc. have been known to make as low as $6.00 in this region. I have found that some smaller chains are willing to pay techs more because higher pay = happier employee = less turnover = more customer recognition = neighborhood drugstore appeal. I would recommend this route for anyone b/c training an antsy high school after-school student to tech every month gets old.

Hi!

Does anyone know how much Pharmacy Tech(without experience) make at
Wal-Mart?

CityMermaid said:
Thanks,

I live in Peoria, IL (about 3 hours southwest of Chicago) and work at a small retail pharmacy. I make $10.75 an hour (about $10 an hour after taxes). It really helps put me through pharmacy school. :oops:

I work at SavOn in Irvine, CA and make $9.65/hour. This is the base pay for techs, regardless of experience or not. After three years you max out at $15.30/hour here.

Pharmacy clerks start out at $7.35. Ugh.

I work for Walgreens in the Chicagoland area and I *think* I started at $8.00/hr before pharm school

Then my pay increased after I got into school because I'm now considered an "intern"

1st yr: $12/hr
2nd yr: $14/hr
3rd yr: $16.50/hr
and now as a 4th year I am at $18.50/hr

After you finish your rotations and wait on your Board results I hear the pay is half a pharmacists salary.

I work at the clinic on campus which serves the student population and others.
(we have a pharmacy in the clinic)

i made about 14 as an intern my first year..
started making 15.64 this 2nd year,

and it goes up with every year i complete

When I started at CVS as a clerk, I made $6.50/hr. Once I got into pharmacy school, I got a raise to $10.00/hr. 2nd year students get $11, 3rd year gets $12.50 and 4th year gets $14. That's here in SC. I just left CVS and now work at a hospital where I can get up to almost $13/hr with the help of shift and weekend differentials.