what is THE school for an MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashylips

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious...by reputation, which school is the leader in terms of its MPH program?

Members don't see this ad.

This question would depend on the program that you're looking at.

If you're talking International Health: Johns Hopkins & Tulane are tops.

If you're talking Health Education: Varied. I'm most familiar with Emory, Michigan, UNC, etc., and their programs are pretty good, but each lacks a little something that the other has.

If you're talking Epi: Varied. Many of the big name schools (some listed above) have decent epi programs that tend to lack in something - you won't find the perfect place.

It is also important to remember that this is the MPH degree. You don't need a name brand degree to get ahead in the public health field. Now, if you're looking to become an academic, the PhD or DrPH program that you choose will most likely have a lot more weight.

Heal&Teach said:
This question would depend on the program that you're looking at.

If you're talking International Health: Johns Hopkins & Tulane are tops.

If you're talking Health Education: Varied. I'm most familiar with Emory, Michigan, UNC, etc., and their programs are pretty good, but each lacks a little something that the other has.

If you're talking Epi: Varied. Many of the big name schools (some listed above) have decent epi programs that tend to lack in something - you won't find the perfect place.

It is also important to remember that this is the MPH degree. You don't need a name brand degree to get ahead in the public health field. Now, if you're looking to become an academic, the PhD or DrPH program that you choose will most likely have a lot more weight.

I generally agree. The big name schools that come to mind (in "general public health" as an Epi person) are (in no particular order) Hopkins, UNC-Chapel Hill, Michigan, Columbia, and Harvard (though they don't take people without sig. working experience, so I don't have any personal experience with Harvard MPH people) - and of course London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (if you count international programs) Also notable in my mind are U of MN (I may be biased), Emory, and Tulane. Maybe also UC-Berkeley, UCLA, and Yale.

But, I think the list of "top" programs for each person varies depending on what you want to do. School X may be widely considered to be one of the best programs, yet if they don't have what you want, skip them. I don't think anybody who knows what they're talking about would actively shun somebody who's done good work at an ASPH school that wasn't one of the "premier" places. I knew a guy who came from Arkansas (he was doing a PhD after his MPH at U of Arkansas and a few years working) - at first I was wondering if his background could hold up against his classmates from big name programs - but I quickly learned that it was a moot point (plus he learned alot of "real life" stuff in his working years that was very valuable).

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools require work experience? Which ones dont?

Adcadet said:
I generally agree. The big name schools that come to mind (in "general public health" as an Epi person) are (in no particular order) Hopkins, UNC-Chapel Hill, Michigan, Columbia, and Harvard (though they don't take people without sig. working experience, so I don't have any personal experience with Harvard MPH people) - and of course London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (if you count international programs) Also notable in my mind are U of MN (I may be biased), Emory, and Tulane. Maybe also UC-Berkeley, UCLA, and Yale.

But, I think the list of "top" programs for each person varies depending on what you want to do. School X may be widely considered to be one of the best programs, yet if they don't have what you want, skip them. I don't think anybody who knows what they're talking about would actively shun somebody who's done good work at an ASPH school that wasn't one of the "premier" places. I knew a guy who came from Arkansas (he was doing a PhD after his MPH at U of Arkansas and a few years working) - at first I was wondering if his background could hold up against his classmates from big name programs - but I quickly learned that it was a moot point (plus he learned alot of "real life" stuff in his working years that was very valuable).

I would add the University of Illinois at Chicago to the list for Environmental and Occupational Health. With the The Great Lakes Centers for Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health, lots of NIOSH and OSHA money, several former EPA administrators, etc. it is, in my biased and humble opinion, one of the top EOHS MPH (and MSPH) schools.

- H

anyone know of a quick and dirty list of MPH programs and which schools offer which concentrations? i'm interested in public health policy, and currently live in MI but might end up in PA, OH, or thereabouts.

FoughtFyr said:
I would add the University of Illinois at Chicago to the list for Environmental and Occupational Health. With the The Great Lakes Centers for Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health, lots of NIOSH and OSHA money, several former EPA administrators, etc. it is, in my biased and humble opinion, one of the top EOHS MPH (and MSPH) schools.

- H
Great case in point. UIC isn't known as a premier SPH, but the education you might receive in EOH could rival that of any school if your interested in what FoughtFyr described.

Does anyone know if there are rankings for these sorts of things or is the only thing out there the general perception of a school (or individual programs for that matter). I know US news had some general rankings from several years ago, but does anyone know of any other resources with some objective comparisions?

ps. I know rankings aren't the end all for determining a school (after all, I choose mine because of the football team :cool: ), but I'm just looking for something to compare without researching every detail of every school.

UAB is ranked right below Yale

1. Johns Hopkins University (MD) 4.9
2. Harvard University (MA) 4.7
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill 4.7
4. University of Washington 4.5
5. University of Michigan--Ann Arbor 4.2
6. Columbia University (NY) 3.9
7. University of California--Berkeley 3.7
University of California--Los Angeles 3.7
9. Emory University (GA) 3.6
10. University of Minnesota--Twin Cities 3.5
11. University of Pittsburgh 3.4
12. University of Texas--Houston Health Sciences Center 3.2
13. Boston University 3.1
Yale University (CT) 3.1
15. University of Alabama--Birmingham 3.0
16. Tulane University (LA) 2.9
University of Illinois--Chicago 2.9
18. St. Louis University 2.5
University of Iowa 2.5
University of Massachusetts--Amherst 2.5
University of South Carolina 2.5

There are different rankings depending on your interests, so you can't only check the Schools list. In community health, according to US News, the ranking includes Tufts, Medical College of Wisconsin, Northwestern, Oregon, and University of Rochester.

I currently attend Northwestern. I don't see that program discussed here, but I'm really enjoying it. It's part-time, so maybe that's a problem for some, but I work so it's great. I got a lot of advice that UIC was better than NW, but NW has a strong interdisciplinary focus which is exactly what I was looking for.

Just to give you all other options.

I would like to know how the schools/programs compare in CA. Specifically, UCLA, CAL, USC, LLU, SDSU (in terms of reputation, etc.,) Specifically, is there any information on USC?

Thanx :D

I would think about what field you want to go into or what kind of work you want to do. In my experience, program quality varies greatly by subject. I would also weigh how much the school's investment in your as a student matters to you. Some schools may offer less personal attention but are great places for networking and finding job leads.

I think work experience weighs heavily in the job search once the MPH is acquired. I agree with the poster who said the guy with great experience from a less highly ranked school was as competitive, if not more so, than those with the bigger name and less experience.