University of Appalachia, Acceptance???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jplaster

Hippie-scum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to the University of Appalachia College of Pharmacy and turned in all my application materials. I called today just to make certain that they in fact received all of my reccomendation letters. While on the phone the lady informed me that she was currently working on my acceptance letter. In a state of shock I had her repeat this statement. She again said that she was working on my acceptance letter and would be mailing it out, she even said congratulations. So I guess this means I got accepted but I'm waiting on the letter before I get too excited. I guess I just didn't expect a response this quickly, or maybe I just thought I would never get in.

Anxiously waiting,
Jeremy Plaster

Members don't see this ad.

Caverject said:
no interview?

No, I haven't yet had an interview. Which also compounds my confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont believe anything until you see the letter. it is kind of strange that they gave that information out to you over the phone. it is usually prohibited.

kwakster928 said:
dont believe anything until you see the letter. it is kind of strange that they gave that information out to you over the phone. it is usually prohibited.

Kwakster thats the exact same thought that I had, so now I'm waiting.

To those going to Grundy... Are you planning on living at home (where you are now) or are you going to move to the area? If you are moving where are you looking at?

Hi, JPLASTER, Congratulations! what is their web address? Thanks!

endlesslove the web address is universityofappalachia.org

bbmuffin, as far as where I'm going to live, I'm not sure exactly. I know I won't be living at home, theres no way I'm gonna drive 1.5 hours each way. So I'm hoping to find some fellow students and rent a house or an apartment, if there are any, in Grundy or somewhere close. Right now I'm still waiting on my letter of acceptance, so as soon as I get that, I'll start dealing with the issue of housing. I'm thinking maybe the school will have a list of available rentals or something like that.

Jeremy Plaster

jPlaster,

what was your GPA at the time of application? Also, did you take the PCAT?

Another area of concern: this school is NOT accredited; how will this come into play? Is it something that applicants really need to worry about, or will eventually receive full accreditaion???

Thanks

2005pharmD, My GPA at the time of application was somewhere around a 3.0 maybe a little higher. I haven't yet had an interview but I haven't received an acceptance letter either. So I'm still waiting and still may have to interview.

As far as the accreditation is concerned, no the school is not fully accredited. However, no school starts out being fully accredited. Accreditation is only given once the school graduates a class. Yes there is some concern that the school might not get accredited. After reviewing the school, and its faculty I have confidence that accreditation will be acheived. But not being accredited definitely wouldn't make it easier for me to sleep at night if I get accepted.

Jeremy W. Plaster

2005PharmD, I forgot to answer your question about the PCAT. Yes I did take the PCAT. Twice actually and my highest overall percentage score was an 88.

Well I finally got the letter today. So it's official, I have been accepted to the University of Appalachia Class of 2008.

Jeremy Plaster

jplaster said:
Well I finally got the letter today. So it's official, I have been accepted to the University of Appalachia Class of 2008.

Jeremy Plaster

Congrats!!! Is that a sigh of relief I hear?!! Are you going to accept? Class of 2008...It's a 3 year program?

Anne

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks grxags, yes I am going to accept. And yes the school is a 3 year program which I think is pretty cool. It'll save me from going too far in debt and plus since I'm already from near there I've got a job lined up already. Now if I just find a place to stay and some roommates I'll be set.

Jeremy Plaster

Hi!
jplaster,

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woah, to find out sooo early is sooo awesome, i envy u

jplaster said:

Jeremy Plaster

CONGRATS! I hope I get to experience the same kind of joy and relief (ASAP!!). :D

jplaster said:
I have applied to the University of Appalachia College of Pharmacy and turned in all my application materials. I called today just to make certain that they in fact received all of my reccomendation letters. While on the phone the lady informed me that she was currently working on my acceptance letter. In a state of shock I had her repeat this statement. She again said that she was working on my acceptance letter and would be mailing it out, she even said congratulations. So I guess this means I got accepted but I'm waiting on the letter before I get too excited. I guess I just didn't expect a response this quickly, or maybe I just thought I would never get in.

Anxiously waiting,
Jeremy Plaster

hey jeremy
Is it too late to apply to appalachia? And I was wondering if you can tell me about the essay tht they want you to write? like just some ideas.
thankx appreciate it

humtum,
No it's not too late to apply. The University of Appalachia is doing a rolling admissions process and is accepting applications until March I think. But the earlier you apply the better the chance you'll be accepted. As far as the essay, there's not really one essay, there are several questions to be answered in the form of a paragraph. Most of the questions have to do with why you want to go to the college, your future plans, etc. I think the college is looking for students who want to stay in the area or at least in a rural area and practice pharmacy. So if you really want to get in try to focus your answers on the problems and solutions to the healthcare needs of rural america.

Jeremy Plaster

hey jeremy
thank you for your reply. I bascially answered all those questions within the application but they ask about community service. I was just wondering about taht.
thank you though. I hope I get in.

humtum said:
hey jeremy
thank you for your reply. I bascially answered all those questions within the application but they ask about community service. I was just wondering about taht.
thank you though. I hope I get in.

Humtum, from what I understood from the question about community service, you were not required to answer it unless you thought you would not be able to serve " as a role model for wellness and healthy living". So I left the question blank.

"Part of your curricular assignment will require you to perform 50 hours per academic year of community service to learn about and address healthcare issues and concerns pertinent to the central region of Appalachia. You will work with school-aged children, adults, senior citizens, and the medically underserved or disabled of the region to educate them about preventive healthcare, dietary issues, dental hygiene, and medication compliance. Furthermore, you will participate in community assistance programs and in outcomes assessments of collaborative clinical trials and healthcare and wellness projects. If you desire a community service project other than serving as a role model for wellness and healthy living, thus hindering your ability to effectively teach preventive healthcare, what alternative community service work would you propose to perform?"

jplaster said:
Humtum, from what I understood from the question about community service, you were not required to answer it unless you thought you would not be able to serve " as a role model for wellness and healthy living". So I left the question blank.

"Part of your curricular assignment will require you to perform 50 hours per academic year of community service to learn about and address healthcare issues and concerns pertinent to the central region of Appalachia. You will work with school-aged children, adults, senior citizens, and the medically underserved or disabled of the region to educate them about preventive healthcare, dietary issues, dental hygiene, and medication compliance. Furthermore, you will participate in community assistance programs and in outcomes assessments of collaborative clinical trials and healthcare and wellness projects. If you desire a community service project other than serving as a role model for wellness and healthy living, thus hindering your ability to effectively teach preventive healthcare, what alternative community service work would you propose to perform?"

ohhhh my god....thank you for correcting me. I totally read it wrong. Oh man now I am ready to mail out my application. u know i wrote email to the dean and he said tht mail out your application and we will look at your situation individually.
hey thankx I seriously hope I can get in thtl, man i just want to do pharmacy i do not wish to do anythingelse. I am so happy for you, and if god wishes to get me in, I will see you there. Please pray for me

jplaster said:

Anxiously waiting,
Jeremy Plaster

I was looking into this school as well....I am gonna start my pre reqs but I am trying to narrow down the Pharm schools of my choice so I can get in HOPEFULLY my first time around so I wont be too old when I graduate..What gpa didyou have? I was curious about that...Im trying to raise mines but didnt know if Appalachia was a competitive school

wannabeapharm said:
so I can get in HOPEFULLY my first time around so I wont be too old when I graduate

:rolleyes: Again, I will be 30 when I graduate, and there are others on here that will be in their 30s, 40s, and 50s before graduating. Not everyone will be 24 at the time he or she graduates pharmacy school.

wannabeapharm said:
didnt know if Appalachia was a competitive school

All schools are competitive.

Ok update on what i know...
they are no longer going to do the whole building thing...
they are going to put the pharmacy school at the top of their old hospital building (it currently only has an ER i believe)

there are also cars that drive around with their logos on them advertising along with numerous billboards

and apparently (heard from someone) they will defer your acceptance a full year if you don't have all of the required classes but they liked you anyway.

jplaster said:
Thanks grxags, yes I am going to accept. And yes the school is a 3 year program which I think is pretty cool. It'll save me from going too far in debt and plus since I'm already from near there I've got a job lined up already. Now if I just find a place to stay and some roommates I'll be set.

Jeremy Plaster

Jeremy,
Don't count on it being any cheaper just because it's 3 years. Possibly your rent and living expenses will be less, but the tuition is generally very equal to that of a 4 year program. Congrats!

wannabeapharm said:
Im trying to raise mines but didnt know if Appalachia was a competitive school

Why didn't you think it was competitive? Because it's new and not as well-establishes as other pharm schools? It's still competitive and selective, just think of how many applications they probably received........

BBmuffin is incorrect. The do have the top floor of the hospital; however, the pharmacy school is about 4 miles away in a technology park. They have the first floor of a building in the park with option for the second possibly next year - this is where they will be holding class. A regional forensic science laboratory may also move into the building. They also have a large building (used to be a high school...similar to ASL) that they will likely renovate to hold some classes. Review by ACPE for provisional accreditation is now occuring.

For deferment you must first be accepted. That likely means you must have all your prerequisites...or in the process of completing them when accepted.

Deadline for Fall admission is May 1 as stated on their website.

pharmacology said:
BBmuffin is incorrect. The do have the top floor of the hospital; however, the pharmacy school is about 4 miles away in a technology park. They have the first floor of a building in the park with option for the second possibly next year - this is where they will be holding class. A regional forensic science laboratory may also move into the building. They also have a large building (used to be a high school...similar to ASL) that they will likely renovate to hold some classes. Review by ACPE for provisional accreditation is now occuring.

For deferment you must first be accepted. That likely means you must have all your prerequisites...or in the process of completing them when accepted.

Deadline for Fall admission is May 1 as stated on their website.
Actually on the deferment the person I know who had their acceptance defered specifically said they did not have all of their prereqs and needed a few more during the fall semester. But then again... this person could have been lying and just saving face because they were embarassed they didn't get into pharmacy school anywhere.

Are you positive, pharmacology, about them not having classes in the hospital? My source is fairly reliable (the newsletter for ASL).

From the way it sounds from your post, they will be having classes all over the "city". Are they just doing the hosptial building for the first year and then moving to the other building later? I also heard at first they had intentions of building a school and now they dont.

What all else do you know Pharmacology?

Oh.. I have also heard that they will be sharing the student services staff with the law school.... all i can say about that is i hope not for the pharm students sake

Most of the stuff i've heard is from family/friends back home so at the very least, that is what the public/the law students at ASL think.

I hope the best for the people who attend this school.

i will say that i am a little concerned about the quality of rotations these students will have

They have Louis Gale in Roanoke area, Wellmont in Bristol, Pikeville Methodist in Pikeville, as well a regional hospitals in Johnson city and others in the SW of VA (~10-15 hospitals). Retail they have CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Rite Aid, and many privately owned pharmacies. They also have affiliate agreements with other healthcare facilities with onsite pharmacists. Currently, without even the first student entering the school they have approximately 50-60 practice sites.

Textbooks will be ordered through the law school bookstore.

Class will not be held in the hospital/top floor. They have other class facilities.

i'm not really worried about the quantity of practice sites... more the quality.. especially in that area...

what are they going to do with the hospital floor?

bbmuffin said:
i'm not really worried about the quantity of practice sites... more the quality.. especially in that area...
Can you rephrase/be more specific? What are you getting at... I don't want to misunderstand you....

I can't speak about southwest Virginia hospitals (except Bristol), but the facilities at Wellmont in Bristol and the Medical Center in Johnson City are excellent and serve a large local population of 200,000+ These are both top rate hospitals. Johnson City is currently developing/attracting Med-Tech industries, and there is also a VA hospital here.

Again, though, I don't know much about Grundy and that area. Anyone know anything they can share about this? I want to go up there and check it out this summer. I hadn't planned on applying there, but I am considering it now as a backup. It's closer to home than where I want to go.

I didn't know that Appalachia was going to be working with JC Med center and Wellmont in Bristol... Is this true? Anyone?

bbmuffin said:
From the way it sounds from your post, they will be having classes all over the "city". Are they just doing the hosptial building for the first year and then moving to the other building later? I also heard at first they had intentions of building a school and now they dont.

I personally took the campus tour with the Dean Dr. Gonzalez. I’m not certain on the whole hospital situation. The school does have their own building which is about 2 stories high, but so far the first floor is going to be finished for sure. It is located probably ~2 miles from the hospital and maybe ~4 miles from the law school (if I remember my directions correctly). I walked around the whole unfinished under construction site. It looks like all they have left to work on is painting, some electircal wiring, dry wall, and a lot of furnishing. They will have a new library with new computers. An auditorium, admin area, class rooms, and even a lounge area with vending machines (BTW profit from the vending machine will be put towards pharmacy student activities). Dr. Gonzalez also mention about the 2nd floor becoming a lab for compounding medicine. The offsite old closed down elementary school will belong to the pharmacy school. I think I remember Dr Gonzalez saying something about having activities there. And Dr. Gonzalez also mentions having about 40 some thing number of faculty members being part the pharmacy school. And also they are going to be building a brand new gym building across the other side of the school parking lot. I was really impressed by Dr Gonzalez hopes and progress for the pharmacy school. He is really and truly all for the students and the community.

I know that Grundy will have rotations with Wellmont...

My concern is in that area the role of a pharmacist is not always that of a pharmacist and may not be a quality learning experience especially if you want to work anywhere else. And I don't know about the amount of exposure the students will have in that area as well.

I know that a lot of people are very excited about this pharmacy school and its progress..

Do you all think that it will be hard to find rotation sites if ETSU becomes approved as well?

pharmacology said:
Review by ACPE for provisional accreditation is now occuring.

Just received Provisional Accreditation by ACPE (unofficial).

Their mission is rural healthcare. The practice sites will fill that role and more. I think it all depends on waht you want to do as a pharmacist. But considering that most of the country is rural (albeit not a rural as grundy), the training will likely be a good fit for most pharmacists. There will also likely be a cooperative agreement with ETSU with respect to training sites in the E. Tenn. area. There are plenty of training sites and facilities to go around as well as sharing sites.....unless you want to be like UT who tried to grab all the sites like a monopoly to keep ETSU from opening their school.

yay for the school getting unofficial provisional accreditation...
what impact does that ruling they made about having to be affiliated with a college have on this school?

i don't know the details of that new rule and could completely be misinterpreting it.

bbmuffin said:
yay for the school getting unofficial provisional accreditation...
what impact does that ruling they made about having to be affiliated with a college have on this school?

i don't know the details of that new rule and could completely be misinterpreting it.

Not real familiar with that provision. But they got provisional so it can't be a major problem. The college of pharmacy is affiliated with a University...the University of Appalachia....but yes I know, pharmacy is their first and only program at present. The University, not the college, is attempting to get SHEV and SACS accreditation so they likely qualify under the ACPE provision. Here is the quote from ACPE:

"In order to be eligible for initial or continuing accreditation, the Doctor of Pharmacy program must be part of an independent College or School of Pharmacy or a College or School of Pharmacy within a University, which is regularly incorporated and is a legally empowered postsecondary educational institution. The institution housing the College or School, or the independent College or School, must be accredited by a regional/institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or another agency acceptable to the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)."