Hispanic Pre-meds!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeruvianDoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know if there are any Hispanic Pre-meds and what their statuses are with schools, their stats and any helpful facts or knowledge

MCAT 32O V10 PS11 BS11
Science : 3.54
Overall : 3.4

Sec. UCLA, Drew, Boston, Layola, Harvard, UCD, USC, LLU, Stanford, NYMC, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins

Just took August MCAT so waiting to hear from, UCSF, UCSD, UCI, Cornell

Allthough Ca resident, did not apply to alot of schools because of money situation.

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT 28L VR9 PS 8 BS11 (ooops on the WS)
Science: 3.89
Overall: 3.87

Got secs from Duke, BU, NYMC, Upstate, albany, dartmouth, Virginia, tufts, penn, penn state, Jefferson. Still waiting on some more.

I became PR a month ago so I'm updating my file with the schools. I am VERY late in the process since I'm still waiting for the 2 science LOR's....Oh well...

I was a medical student in Venezuela so I have some clinical experience there, and a year of volunteering here (currently volunteering too). Worked for a year from midnight to 8 and still managed to get 4.0 ;) , still working at the same place but with a more decent schedule.

Good to hear about your good grades. keep me updated

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo

Im Peruano as well, you can check my stats below on mdapplicants.com..

I don't understand, are other Latinos besides Mexican/Puerto Rican NOT considered URM? Because on the stats on Aamc, they have "other hispanics" listed in with their stats next to mexican, and blacks etc.

MIKE G said:
Yo

Im Peruano as well, you can check my stats below on mdapplicants.com..

I don't understand, are other Latinos besides Mexican/Puerto Rican NOT considered URM? Because on the stats on Aamc, they have "other hispanics" listed in with their stats next to mexican, and blacks etc.

Looking at your mdapplicants.com page, I can tell you'll have no problem getting in. Don't worry about your minority status.

Good luck.

Thanks mayn.

Thats probably a good idea in changing the meaning behind URM, because there will always be changing demographics etc.

Me alegra ver tantos Latinos con buenos futuros. Soy Costarricense y me acabo de dar cuenta que voy a ser parte de la clase de 2009 en Temple University!! :thumbup: Me gradue de Pomona College en Mayo y abajo est? mi informaci?n:

MCAT: 30R (B 10, V 11, P 9)
BCPM: 3.10
Overall: 3.30

Secondaries: 22 (Some UC's, USC, Stanford, Wake, SLU, U of C, Loyola, Tulane, handful of east coast schools)

Rejections: Georgetown & Tulane (jerk-offs)

Interviews: Temple & Drexel

No, I ain't a URM. But I am sure that being fluent in Spanish and showing commitment to serving other Latinos had a lot to do with my acceptance. That would be my first piece of advice. If you do plan on eventually working with the underserved, internationally, or in some other environment where you will utilize your language skills, be sure to play up anything and everything that you've done that relates to that and any future plans you may have. Also, I'm applying to their public health school as well so adding that in probably helped during my interview. Feel free to PM. Good luck ya'll! :luck:

Jeffy said:
Me alegra ver tantos Latinos con buenos futuros. Soy Costarricense y me acabo de dar cuenta que voy a ser parte de la clase de 2009 en Temple University!! :thumbup: Me gradue de Pomona College en Mayo y abajo est? mi informaci?n:

Secondaries: 22 (Some UC's, USC, Stanford, Wake, SLU, U of C, Loyola, Tulane, handful of east coast schools)

No, I ain't a URM. But I am sure that being fluent in Spanish and showing commitment to serving other Latinos had a lot to do with my acceptance. That would be my first piece of advice. If you do plan on eventually working with the underserved, internationally, or in some other environment where you will utilize your language skills, be sure to play up anything and everything that you've done that relates to that and any future plans you may have. Also, I'm applying to their public health school as well so adding that in probably helped during my interview. Feel free to PM. Good luck ya'll! :luck:

Felicitaciones!!!! Ojala yo pueda decir lo mismo en un futuro proximo :D Una preguntita que te queria hacer, para la pila de ensayos que uno tiene que escribir en las aplicaciones secundarias, como hiciste para que quedaran perfectos (digo, gramatica y flujo del ensayo, etc) pues yo soy medio desastrosa en eso y estoy en pleno proceso llenando mil aplicaciones. Cualquier tip es bienvenido :D

I would say to get someone else to read it over, someone that is an English major, and help you through it for clarity. good luck. I'm not a an English major but I would be glad to look it over, and help you correct mistakes etc.

MIKE G said:
I would say to get someone else to read it over, someone that is an English major, and help you through it for clarity. good luck. I'm not a an English major but I would be glad to look it over, and help you correct mistakes etc.

Mike, that would be awsome, I don't know any English majors and the writing center at my school is not very good. Thanks!

Tristy said:
Mike, that would be awsome, I don't know any English majors and the writing center at my school is not very good. Thanks!

I would be glad to help you with your personal statement. I was a creative writing undergrad at an Ivy League, and English major.

Now schools consider Hispanics as URMs, which is more realistic. However, for recruitment scholarships, I believe based on my experience on the admission committee, that they will try to seek out those groups that have been traditionally recognized as URMs - mainly Mex, PRs, Blacks, and Natives!
So keep that in mind when you get your financial aid packages :p)

I'm glad people are getting help in this post, I see that we are not only the minority in medicine, but medicine related web sites! Hopefully everything is going well for everyone and you guys are all finished with secondaries cause I'm not. Anyways good luck and keep this thread alive!!

Members don't see this ad :)
PeruvianDoctor said:
I'm glad people are getting help in this post, I see that we are not only the minority in medicine, but medicine related web sites! Hopefully everything is going well for everyone and you guys are all finished with secondaries cause I'm not. Anyways good luck and keep this thread alive!!

I'm still working on secondaries as well, 15 more to go :eek: 2 complete...Pero como dicen por ahi "Pa' tras ni pa' coger impulso" :D

I'll be around checking this site almost everyday. I'm not applying until June (because I took August mcats, and have to prepare myself better), but I will be here to keep this thread alive. Good luck you guys on those secondaries, it I know its such a long dragging process.

Hola a todos. Espero que tengais muchisimas oportunidades para ir a la escuela de medicina. Si teneis preguntas especificas de mi escuela mandarme un PM> y les doy mas detalles.

Que gusto sentirme entre otros hispanos!! Ok, aqui estoy yo.

MCAT: 27P VR10 PS7 BS10
BCPM: 3.55 DO 3.42 MD
Overall: 3.49 DO 3.39 MD

Aplicaciones: Apliqu? a 21 escuelas. 15 MD y 6 DO. He transmitido 19 secondaries. A resultado de tomar el MCAT en agosto, dos escuelas me dijeron que me avisar?an despues de ver los resultados si estan interesadas en mandarme secondaries. Esta ma?ana, U of Utah me envi? su secondary. No se si me voy a animar a completarlo ya que presiento que voy a recibir por lo menos una oferta--y ya he gastado tanto dinero!

Entrevistas: Ayer entrevist? con Western COMP en Pomona, CA. Deseenme mucha suerte! Y el domingo que viene tengo una entrevista con DMU.

Hasta el momento, es todo lo que tengo.

Cruzen los dedos... y yo hago lo mismo por ustedes! :luck: :luck:

No dejen de ir a entrevistas hasta que tengais una aceptacion en la mano! es muy importante porque la verdad es que nunca se sabe...

Finalmente salen los hispanos! Yo soy de Guatemala, estoy aplicando este anio tambien. Mis stats....ahh no importan! :p Solo espero que me salgan algunas entrevistas para encantar a los adcoms....MsEvolution, que tal estuvo tu entrevista en COMP? A mi me toca ir dentro de un par de semanas, quisiera saber cual fue tu opinion sobre el lugar y la gente. Y a que aeropuerto llegaste? Bueno amigos, me alegra ver a mas latinos aqui, y si por alli haya algun chapin, mandenme un saludo!!

Hola muchachos y muchachas!

Queria tener la opinion de ustedes: estoy dicese que escribiendo el ensayo para Dartmouth donde te piden que les des alguna informacion sobre ti que no este en otra parte de tu aplicacion de AMCAS. Y estaba pensando en relatar la historia de mi primer anio aqui. Resulta que a los 8 meses de llegar me puse MUY homesick y decidi regresarme a mi pais. Pero a las 3 semanas de llegar a Venezuela me di cuenta del error megabrutal que habia hecho y me quise volver. Total que aqui en USA estaban en pleno mitad de semestre (llegue la primera semana de Octubre) y me las arregle para sacar un 4 de promedio tomando 14 creditos. Ese incidente me hizo reconsiderar lo que yo queria hacer con mi vida y bueno , aqui estoy, 2 anios mas fuerte y ansiosa por entrar a medicina. Ustedes piensan que es buena idea comentar sobre esto o el comite de admision me veria como una persona indecisa o algo asi? Gracias!

Good luck on everyones interviews! We are counting on ustedes to give us motivation!

Tristy said:
Hola muchachos y muchachas!

Queria tener la opinion de ustedes: estoy dicese que escribiendo el ensayo para Dartmouth donde te piden que les des alguna informacion sobre ti que no este en otra parte de tu aplicacion de AMCAS. Y estaba pensando en relatar la historia de mi primer anio aqui. Resulta que a los 8 meses de llegar me puse MUY homesick y decidi regresarme a mi pais. Pero a las 3 semanas de llegar a Venezuela me di cuenta del error megabrutal que habia hecho y me quise volver. Total que aqui en USA estaban en pleno mitad de semestre (llegue la primera semana de Octubre) y me las arregle para sacar un 4 de promedio tomando 14 creditos. Ese incidente me hizo reconsiderar lo que yo queria hacer con mi vida y bueno , aqui estoy, 2 anios mas fuerte y ansiosa por entrar a medicina. Ustedes piensan que es buena idea comentar sobre esto o el comite de admision me veria como una persona indecisa o algo asi? Gracias!

Tristy:

I am just now looking over that Duke stuff.

Mi opinion:

I think for international students (right?) like yourself, the US med school want to make sure that they teach you here (in the US) and you stay here in the US. I don't think admitting that you were hesitant at first would be good, in fact I would write the opposite about how you have ALWAYS want to be a doctor in America and why (although I am not telling you to lie). Two year is a lot of time, but from their point of view I think they would prefer to hear something else beside that you wanted to go back to Venezuela weeks/months after arriving.

OR I could be completely wrong.....anybody else care to comment?

Cyber Tammy:

How did you get such great MCAT scores? You are my personal hero. :D

I swear the verbal whooped on me because of the damn Spanish speaking at home that jacked up my head (btw I'm kidding, its my own damn fault). Do you speak Spanish at home?

I was so excited to see this thread! I'm gearing myself up for this crazy application process (applying next year for 2006) and was happy to see other hispanic pre-meds out there. Especially pre-meds who speak Spanish! I miss having people around to speak it with.

Good luck to all those applying right now!

Aqui estoy y no me voy!

Howdy everyone! I'm so happy that we've got this kind of thread going at this stage. I was beginning to worry that I was the only one out here!!! BTW, I think I'm probably addicted to SDN, so I'm always online and always down for a conversation (IM me if you'd like). Don't worry PeruvianDoctor, as long as I'm here our thread will survive! :thumbup:

My stats are a bit funky just because I had a really crappy undergrad GPA but took some undergrad classes as a postbac and have raised my GPA. My postbac GPA (about 45 units) is about a 3.9 but my regular undergrad is less than 3, so the average isn't great.

MCAT: 31Q (VR10, PS09, BS12)

So far, I've appled to 20 schools, sent 18 secondaries, and have 5 interviews, no rejections, but no acceptances either. My first interview is next Thursday, so cruzen los dedos por suerte! :luck:

Yolanda

Thank you everybody for the comments :D I guess I will write about something different ;)
Yolanda, la mejor de las suertes en tu entrevista!!

Prowler:

I am glad you can speak spanish mayn. Its really important if you plan to practice in Cali or other places with high latino populations. \

PPL LEARN SPANISH! and I'm not talking about "hola como estas", Its gotta be conversational to the point where the person you are speaking with can understand you completely...anyways...

Also, ppl, just to let ya know that "Hispanic" is a US government term that encompasses all mestizos, indios, and espanoles into one category (an umbrella). I say we should be "Latinos" instead (from Mexico to South America)... LATINOS UNITE! (haha j/k)

Just thought I would mention that for people that didn't know

Hola mis amigos,

I am a latina pre-med with Colombian roots. Since some of us are starting the interview process, it might be useful to post which schools are especially notable for minority recruitment. Here is my experience so far:

1. Penn-amazing. They called me personally to congratulate me for the interview, and they held a special reception at the end of the interview day for minority interviewees with treats, special info packets on minority events/programs at the school, and current minority students. You could also meet with the director the minority affairs during your down time to talk about life at Penn.

2. Cornell-They sent an email from the SEOM office, and were supposed to get back to me regarding having a minority student host, but never followed through. It was ok because I ended up not needing it, but still...

3. Columbia-well, I interviewed with the director of their program, but other than that there was nothing.

4. NYU-Nothing.

5. Mt. Sinai-They send a letter from the SEOM with the interview offer from the SEOM, offering hosting.

6. OHSU-nothing (but I am interviewing next week, so we'll see)

7. Boston U-nothing so far. (Interview next month)

8. Pitt-nothing so far, although the director of their program helped me get an interview during a trip I have planned.

That is it so far. I would also suggest that if you are going on a big trip to a distant location, you should contact the director of minority affairs about it. Especially if they sent you recruitment mail early on.

Good luck everyone :)

Treg

wow...everyone kicks so much butt! I hope to have all of you as classmates!!!

Feliciadades....una pregunta como estudiastes para la sesion de verbal reasoning?. Gracias
Elsa

Jeffy said:

acl3623 said:
Finalmente salen los hispanos! Yo soy de Guatemala, estoy aplicando este anio tambien. Mis stats....ahh no importan! :p Solo espero que me salgan algunas entrevistas para encantar a los adcoms....MsEvolution, que tal estuvo tu entrevista en COMP? A mi me toca ir dentro de un par de semanas, quisiera saber cual fue tu opinion sobre el lugar y la gente. Y a que aeropuerto llegaste? Bueno amigos, me alegra ver a mas latinos aqui, y si por alli haya algun chapin, mandenme un saludo!!

Hola acl! Felicitaciones en cuanto a tu oportunidad de entrevistar! Fijate que mi experiencia fue nada menos que totalmente agradable. Yo esperaba encontrar un vecindario y un ambiente peligroso despues de ver los comentarios de otros estudiantes. Y no encontre eso para nada. La gente... (los estudiantes, la facultad, la administracion) TODOS fueron super-lindos y amigables. Los entrevistadores fueron dos doctores (DO) y un se?or PhD--me tomo por sorpresa ver que es una persona que tiene que hablar atravez de un aparato--para que estes preparado/a, eh? La escuela se reparte entre varios edificios que parece que antes eran un tipo de "shopping village". Por dentro todo esta modernizado. El salon que visit? estaba equipado con tres pantallas grandes para que (no importa en que parte del salon est?s) puedas ver con facilidad la presentaci?n que da el profe. Y muchos estudiantes tenian sus computadoras port?tiles con ellos... tienen conexi?n alli mismo en los escritorios, y pueden ver la presentaci?n alli mismo.

Si quieres, puedes ver mis comentarios... ya los a?ad? al "Interview Reviews" -- es el que esta fechado 10/20. Que tengas MUCHA suerte! Si tienes alguna otra pregunta, escribeme (PM) y te contesto lo antes posible. Despues, me avisas que tal te fue, eh?

Ah! Sabes lo bueno es que te avisan su decision en 2 semanas!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Good to see everyone is writing in spanish, it helps me practice. Just got a secondary from UCI. Hopefully SF and SD aren't far behind. not doing Harvard secondary because of the year or calculus required, only have one quarter. I hope Stanford likes me...

elsa said:
Feliciadades....una pregunta como estudiastes para la sesion de verbal reasoning?. Gracias
Elsa

well, im not ever sure that you can really study for the VR section of the MCAT. i took a princeton review course and they give you basically all of the possible pointers and strategies that you could use on that section. the best way to take-on the VR is to do several practice passages and full tests. ya just gotta do it a lot and get used to the timing.

Yeah, I like the posts written in Spanish too. I need to start de-gringonizing before I go to Peru in late December.

MIKE G said:
Yeah, I like the posts written in Spanish too. I need to start de-gringonizing before I go to Peru in late December.

i always give myself at least a week -de-gringo before I ever go to Costa Rica. Otherwise, I get clowned on hard by my cousins, who already see me as the sell-out born and raised in Califas. Eat more homecooked meals and watch Univision. :thumbup:

MIKE G said:
Tristy:

I am just now looking over that Duke stuff.

Mi opinion:

I think for international students (right?) like yourself, the US med school want to make sure that they teach you here (in the US) and you stay here in the US. I don't think admitting that you were hesitant at first would be good, in fact I would write the opposite about how you have ALWAYS want to be a doctor in America and why (although I am not telling you to lie). Two year is a lot of time, but from their point of view I think they would prefer to hear something else beside that you wanted to go back to Venezuela weeks/months after arriving.

OR I could be completely wrong.....anybody else care to comment?

Tristy,

I wondered the very same thing and I asked my interviewer (an associate dean from Columbia) that very same question.

Does it matter that an international student is interested in working in their home-country?

The quick and definitive answer was that "it doesn't matter. Not at all for a school like this."

There were questions raised about residency/citizenship, but mostly for financial reasons, not for admissions purposes.

I am just reproducing what I was told, you can take it whichever way you want, but it makes sense to me.

If a young Paul Farmer comes to you and says the he wants to spend the rest of his career in Haiti, would you reject him based on that? Or the fact that he is a US citizen means give him the right to work abroad?

There is a catch, though: "for a school like this", if you apply to MUSC I am certain they would like to hear that you want to stay in South Carolina. The goals/funding of the schools are different.

I think your experience simply reinforces your goals and your drive for success and if I were you I would definitely write about that, and how you are more committed to medicine than ever.

Not really on topic, but I'm curious

As a "statistical minority", I just don't understood the desire to compartmentalize (sp?) one's self into a group such as "Black" or "Hispanic". There may exist a shared life experience, perhaps amongst you or your parents, but don't you believe that we are all (most) American's b4 we're "of Columbian decent, African American, etc"?. I dunno anything, but I'm very, very interested in your perspectives, particularly given the fact that many med students are "minorities". I personally don't see race, AT ALL. Just the color of your skin to me. Again, just color to me.

M

BTW, maybe not the right forum, but the "Hispanic Pre-med" and "Any Black Pre-med's out there" threads compelled me to respond. Again, very interested in point of views.

Hi all:

Just wanted to continue this great thread.. I'm of Peruvian/Portuguese descent, and will be applying next June.. given that I do well on the April MCAT, as was not the case this past April.

In response to Milanrp, I want to say that although most of us are Americans by birth, we identify very strongly with the cultures we were brought up with. Personally, my household was not very "American", and I find it to be great when I meet other people from similar cultures as mine who can identify with me.
This in no way is meant to segregate people, however. I love to meet people from all different races/cultures because I love learning about them. Hopefully this clarified things at least a little bit.

milanrp, good question and in many ways you're right. but there are some things that you have to understand about certain races...especially latinos. many of us are first generation born in the us or like me, not even a u.s. citizen, like many of the immigrants that are here. these are the people that need the healthcare of a physician that can relate to their needs. for example, hispanics have the predisposition to become diabetic...children have about 2x more likely to become obese..why you ask? well, we like to eat tamales, frigoles volteados, queso crema, chicharrones, pan dulce...etc. we are also a community that is not likely to exercise...especially women. now, it may be easy for a white (for simplicity purposes) to just tell these people to eat better an exercise. but do you think theyll listen and follow the advice of a physician (who because they will more than likely not ever visit because they are intimidated..because of language mainly) who doesnt know how food is an important part of their culture or someone who knows where they are coming from and help modify their habits to fit their needs. just an example. i agree, we shouldnt "milk" the URM status, but there is merit in recognizing your culture and using it in your chosen field (medicine for all of us!) to help people of the same background as you who you can relate to. just my thoughts...hope this kinda gives you an idea of why med schools are interested in serving every level of society in the u.s.

milanrp said:
Not really on topic, but I'm curious

As a "statistical minority", I just don't understood the desire to compartmentalize (sp?) one's self into a group such as "Black" or "Hispanic". There may exist a shared life experience, perhaps amongst you or your parents, but don't you believe that we are all (most) American's b4 we're "of Columbian decent, African American, etc"?. I dunno anything, but I'm very, very interested in your perspectives, particularly given the fact that many med students are "minorities". I personally don't see race, AT ALL. Just the color of your skin to me. Again, just color to me.

M

BTW, maybe not the right forum, but the "Hispanic Pre-med" and "Any Black Pre-med's out there" threads compelled me to respond. Again, very interested in point of views.

Race is definitely a factor when it comes to treating patients. If someone that has barely ever even talked to an african-american, and all of a sudden the african-american is his ER doctor, then more likely that person will feel uncomfortable. Not that he is being a racist or hates him or something, but just that it is something unfamiliar (and some ppl really are like that, they don't like the unfamiliarity of it). Most people tend to stereotype (as we all know, for latinos that are called Mexican). A better example is what happens when someone Latino comes into an ER and cannot speak English. Although a doctor or a nurse will probably know some clinical Spanish dialogue, that will not be enough. A lot is lost when two people cannot communicate as well as they should (its essential when you are a doctor), and I know this from first hand experience as a translator for an ER. It also helps when someone that speaks the same language, is the same culture, approaches you in that frightful situation (ER) because you are more familiar to them and will open up to their questions. Its not just Latino, its all cultures that are needed, and I believe should be shown in proportion to the population (and thus so does AAMC).

Also, most of us don't consider ourselves "American" as in our only thing that we are. I think I can say for Latinos at least, that we consider ourselves our parents countries and THEN American. Of course in our current situation in Iraq, some might even be offended to be called American. Overall it takes a while to become fully americanized, I would say it can take generations in an immigrant family to come to the point where they can truly call themselves Americans first.

PeruvianDoctor said:
I just want to know if there are any Hispanic Pre-meds and what their statuses are with schools, their stats and any helpful facts or knowledge

MCAT 32O V10 PS11 BS11
Science : 3.54
Overall : 3.4

Sec. UCLA, Drew, Boston, Layola, Harvard, UCD, USC, LLU, Stanford, NYMC, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins

Just took August MCAT so waiting to hear from, UCSF, UCSD, UCI, Cornell

Allthough Ca resident, did not apply to alot of schools because of money situation.

Hey Peruvian Doc, props to you! I am a NY resident, and was born in Peru. Glad to see Peruvians representing in the medical community. Your MCAT score rocks! Were you born in the US or in Peru. I have been in the states for 20 years, came when I was six years old and I still have a hard time with English at times. The verbal section kicks my butt. Any advice?

Hola a todos los Hispanos!! Im currently a first year medical student and loving it. It is stuff but if this is what you all want you'll enjoy it. I just want to say that I'm very happy to see so many hispanics applying and getting excellent responses from medical schools. It is a long process but it seems like you are all doing great. No se desanimen por nada!!

Finally, a Hispanic thread. Yey!! I am so glad to see more of us out there. Although we are not considered a true URM, which I think is just crap! And the last time I bought this up at another thread, people totally trashed me, but I want to say that we ALL work hard for our grades and our MCAT scores, and we do not need help getting into medical school. However, many of us, who are not born in this country may have misfortunes regarding verbal skills. At least i do. How do you guys study for this part and overcome it and conquer it. Any advice? Besides, practice!

Keep this thread alive. Lets keep contributing.

Where are you all from? What state? What country?

Thanks for perspectives...

a) incredible how many people read SDN and how quickly they respond
b) I appreciate all of your candidness. I appreciate that experiences/situations are different.

In response to Mike G's comment:

"Of course in our current situation in Iraq, some might even be offended to be called American. "

25 milllion people liberated? As a first gen American, I couldn't be more proud. While my parent/grandparents didn't serve in our earlier wars, I recognize and revere their service to the WORLD. America has been the greatest force of good the WORLD has ever seen. With all do respect, you make me sick to my stomach. Not to get into politics too much, but felt need to respond.

Brace yourself for a big upset in 13 days, Mikey. The backbone/spirit/soul of America will speak and defeat you and your parasitic socialist friends. I can't wait to watch them/you squeal.

Scarier than that, watch Dems and their lawyers file lawsuits to diliberately make a mockery of the democratic process and attempt to paint a picture of Republicans "stealing the election". More of the same...haven't learned a thing. They will lose.

Sorry for politics...needed to respond. I will disappear...best wishes to all.

Thanks again to all for the insight provided.

jules0328 said:
Where are you all from? What state? What country?

Born in Chicago to Mexican immigrants... We are from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. I was fortunate to live there several times throughout my childhood.

Hard core Mexicana here! Pan dulce... tamales... mole... frijolitos con queso... birria... yummmm.... I know they're bad for us... but they're so goooood.

Also, I married a Honduran. We're divorced now, but still friends. Boy, does Central America also have some Gooooood food! Pupusas! Yucca con chicharron! Tapado! Pescado frito con ensalada! Tostones! Mmmmmmm!!!

Where's everyone else from?

Hola a todos!
Me alegra mucho saber que nosotros los Latinos estamos unidos en este proceso tan largo y tedioso. Siempre que entraba en esta pagina yo pensaba que era la uniqua latina, ahora me doy cuenta que no lo soy.
Yo soy Cubana, nacida y criada en Cuba hasta los 17. I live in Texasn now and I'm only applying to Texas Medical Schools. But, I BOMBED the MCAT (22Q :( ) I seriously don't think I have a chance and I was wondering if you guys have heard of anyone (latin) getting into med school with those scores. Anyway, a pesar de que mi personal essay is quite interesting, and I have tons of awards and very good letters or rec, I feel very hopeless. What do you all think. Honestly!

Saludos y gracias.

P.S: Me da mucha alegria saber que hay tantos de ustedes saliendo tan bien en el MCAT y otros tantos siendo acceptados en las escuelas de medicina. Felicitaciones!
MsEvolution said:
Born in Chicago to Mexican immigrants... We are from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. I was fortunate to live there several times throughout my childhood.

Hard core Mexicana here! Pan dulce... tamales... mole... frijolitos con queso... birria... yummmm.... I know they're bad for us... but they're so goooood.

Also, I married a Honduran. We're divorced now, but still friends. Boy, does Central America also have some Gooooood food! Pupusas! Yucca con chicharron! Tapado! Pescado frito con ensalada! Tostones! Mmmmmmm!!!

Where's everyone else from?

milanrp said:
Thanks for perspectives...

a) incredible how many people read SDN and how quickly they respond
b) I appreciate all of your candidness. I appreciate that experiences/situations are different.

In response to Mike G's comment:

"Of course in our current situation in Iraq, some might even be offended to be called American. "

25 milllion people liberated? As a first gen American, I couldn't be more proud. While my parent/grandparents didn't serve in our earlier wars, I recognize and revere their service to the WORLD. America has been the greatest force of good the WORLD has ever seen. With all do respect, you make me sick to my stomach. Not to get into politics too much, but felt need to respond.

Brace yourself for a big upset in 13 days, Mikey. The backbone/spirit/soul of America will speak and defeat you and your parasitic socialist friends. I can't wait to watch them/you squeal.

Scarier than that, watch Dems and their lawyers file lawsuits to diliberately make a mockery of the democratic process and attempt to paint a picture of Republicans "stealing the election". More of the same...haven't learned a thing. They will lose.

Sorry for politics...needed to respond. I will disappear...best wishes to all.

Thanks again to all for the insight provided.

And thats why I said "some" ppl in America...

Anyways back to the pan dulce topic!

Dr.Isabella said:
Hola a todos!
Me alegra mucho saber que nosotros los Latinos estamos unidos en este proceso tan largo y tedioso. Siempre que entraba en esta pagina yo pensaba que era la uniqua latina, ahora me doy cuenta que no lo soy.
Yo soy Cubana, nacida y criada en Cuba hasta los 17. I live in Texasn now and I'm only applying to Texas Medical Schools. But, I BOMBED the MCAT (22Q :( ) I seriously don't think I have a chance and I was wondering if you guys have heard of anyone (latin) getting into med school with those scores. Anyway, a pesar de que mi personal essay is quite interesting, and I have tons of awards and very good letters or rec, I feel very hopeless. What do you all think. Honestly!

Saludos y gracias.

P.S: Me da mucha alegria saber que hay tantos de ustedes saliendo tan bien en el MCAT y otros tantos siendo acceptados en las escuelas de medicina. Felicitaciones!

I am sorry you didnt do as well as you wanted to on the MCAT, but a lot of it I think has to do with language barrier. That test, to begin with, is difficult for most native English speaking people. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for someone from Cuba who just recently came when they were only 17. But, keep your head up, do it again. Study harder, do different things to improve your score, you will get there. Honestly, have you thought about DO schools? Although with a 23 your chances are extremely limited, you may shoot for DO. I see you only want to apply to Texas schools and I dont think there are any DO schools in Texas, but then again, I am from NY so I have no idea about Texas.

You are smart, and intelligent and you just have to tell yourself that. It isnt easy coming to a new country and having to start from scratch, especially at 17 but keep trying and you will make it. I have faith in all of us Latinos. We must succeed, it is something that if you want it bad enough, you will do it. Keep up your faith. Good luck!

MIKE G said:

Mike,

You are headed to Peru in December? What part? I am from Lima. I havent been back though, different reasons. I came to the states at 6 years old. Where do you live here in the states?

How long will you be hanging in Peru? Awesome. Enjoy your trip.