Mercer University - Why do you love it? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Vandykitten

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I'm actually a pre-pharmacy student who is applying to Mercer University. I was wondering if there any students/alumni here who could tell me a little more about Mercer, why you like/love it, as well as a general overview of the curriculum and faculty!

Thanks!!! I would really appreciate it 🙂
 
hey-

i don't go to Mercer, but I know a lot of people there since I went to Mercer undergrad. And the people at mercer are SOOOOOO nice. And the ones I know are all willing to help. I met a couple of people there this weekend at a conference I attended, and they were all really nice. I don't you'll go wrong with mercer.
 
vilraj said:
hey-

i don't go to Mercer, but I know a lot of people there since I went to Mercer undergrad. And the people at mercer are SOOOOOO nice. And the ones I know are all willing to help. I met a couple of people there this weekend at a conference I attended, and they were all really nice. I don't you'll go wrong with mercer.

Wow! Everything I've heard about the school so far is very positive! I really REALLY would like to go there! If you know anybody who would be willing to talk to me about it, I'd really appreciate it 🙂

Thanks for the inside info though! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed there....
i know some people that attend school there..
i'm sure you'll find both good and bad about it.

if you want to know anything about my interview just let me know.
 
I interviewed at Mercer too. What are some of the bad about the program if you dont mind sharing? I like to see both sides.
 
bbmuffin said:
I interviewed there....
i know some people that attend school there..
i'm sure you'll find both good and bad about it.

if you want to know anything about my interview just let me know.

Thanks bbmuffin! Did you post your interview experience on the pre-pharmacy site?

Also, could you tell me a litlte bit more about the facilities, the faculty, and any special programs you found especially intriguing? Did the student life seem exciting?

Sorry for all the questions 🙂 Just hungry for information!!!
 
Vandykitten said:
Thanks bbmuffin! Did you post your interview experience on the pre-pharmacy site?

Also, could you tell me a litlte bit more about the facilities, the faculty, and any special programs you found especially intriguing? Did the student life seem exciting?

Sorry for all the questions 🙂 Just hungry for information!!!

no i didn't post it anywhere
i wasn't really thrilled with the way the interview was conducted but it was just my opinion...
a 2nd year gave a tour and they get to grade you and then i sat down with a 4th year and they asked clinical questions (they also grade you) and i had 1 faculty interview with 1 faculty member.

the facilities were all new at the time. Fairly modern looking... the one thing i didn't understand at the time was they had lockers... i'm not sure if they were for pharm students but now i would give anything to have a locker at school. they have several organizations.
i don't really know how exciting any pharmacy school student life seems.

the pharmacy school is in ATL which is not where the main college campus is (its in macon) i believe the nursing school is also located with the pharmacy school but i'm unsure what else.

the faculty i was exposed to was o.k. it just wasn't enough of an exposure to really get a good grasp of what they were like.

the thing i found intriguing was on campus housing!!!!!
they said pharm students didn't live there that mainly nursing students did but...
had i picked mercer i would have done anything possible to live on campus...
no driving... get up at the last min... and i loved the convienence in undergrad.
i think they were more like apartments than dorms and had kitchens and everything along with internet etc.

it was a gloomy day when i went so i'm sure the campus looks better when the sun is out!

one thing i would check out is their block scheduling. make sure that is something that interests you!
it kind of scared me... but obviously their students pass the boards!

good luck!
 
bbmuffin said:
no i didn't post it anywhere
i wasn't really thrilled with the way the interview was conducted but it was just my opinion...
a 2nd year gave a tour and they get to grade you and then i sat down with a 4th year and they asked clinical questions (they also grade you) and i had 1 faculty interview with 1 faculty member.

the facilities were all new at the time. Fairly modern looking... the one thing i didn't understand at the time was they had lockers... i'm not sure if they were for pharm students but now i would give anything to have a locker at school. they have several organizations.
i don't really know how exciting any pharmacy school student life seems.

the pharmacy school is in ATL which is not where the main college campus is (its in macon) i believe the nursing school is also located with the pharmacy school but i'm unsure what else.

the faculty i was exposed to was o.k. it just wasn't enough of an exposure to really get a good grasp of what they were like.

the thing i found intriguing was on campus housing!!!!!
they said pharm students didn't live there that mainly nursing students did but...
had i picked mercer i would have done anything possible to live on campus...
no driving... get up at the last min... and i loved the convienence in undergrad.
i think they were more like apartments than dorms and had kitchens and everything along with internet etc.

it was a gloomy day when i went so i'm sure the campus looks better when the sun is out!

one thing i would check out is their block scheduling. make sure that is something that interests you!
it kind of scared me... but obviously their students pass the boards!

good luck!


Wow BBmuffin...sounds like a pretty intense process. What do you mean by "clinical questions" concerning the fourth year student that interviewed you? Did you work in a pharmacy before? It's good to hear that the facilities are looking good and there is locker potential! 🙂 hehe

Campus housing is really awesome...I don't mind walking more than 15 minutes because that is my current distance from main campus here in Nashville, but it always is nice to wake up and only have to stroll to class 5 minutes before it beings. 👍

Thanks for all the info 🙂
 
Vandykitten said:
Wow BBmuffin...sounds like a pretty intense process. What do you mean by "clinical questions" concerning the fourth year student that interviewed you? Did you work in a pharmacy before? It's good to hear that the facilities are looking good and there is locker potential! 🙂 hehe

Campus housing is really awesome...I don't mind walking more than 15 minutes because that is my current distance from main campus here in Nashville, but it always is nice to wake up and only have to stroll to class 5 minutes before it beings. 👍

Thanks for all the info 🙂


I had no pharmacy experience at all... I still have only my 2 rotations under my belt in that department...

the questions were along the lines of what would you do if.... how would you handled this....
i think i was asked if i was working in a pharmacy and the pharmacist there stole what would i do. (i remember this question from somewhere but i can't guarentee where........)
 
bbmuffin said:
I had no pharmacy experience at all... I still have only my 2 rotations under my belt in that department...

the questions were along the lines of what would you do if.... how would you handled this....
i think i was asked if i was working in a pharmacy and the pharmacist there stole what would i do. (i remember this question from somewhere but i can't guarentee where........)

Thanks! I have a little experience (will have about a year by the end of my senior year) but it was definitely what moved me to choose pharmacy. Mercer looks like a great school...I have to turn in my App ASAP!!! About how long did it take for them to contact you after you submitted your application?
 
Vandykitten said:
Thanks! I have a little experience (will have about a year by the end of my senior year) but it was definitely what moved me to choose pharmacy. Mercer looks like a great school...I have to turn in my App ASAP!!! About how long did it take for them to contact you after you submitted your application?


i honestly don't remember i probably applied in october or something and then got an interview (i had time to prepare for it so it was probably in december)
i know i interviewed in jan and heard back a few weeks after my interview!

yeah i don't remember at all...
sorry 😳
 
bbmuffin said:
i honestly don't remember i probably applied in october or something and then got an interview (i had time to prepare for it so it was probably in december)
i know i interviewed in jan and heard back a few weeks after my interview!

yeah i don't remember at all...
sorry 😳

Thanks for all your input! I really appreciate it 🙂

Your profile says you're located in Alabama...do you go to school there are do you live there?

I think you have a livejournal too...I'm in the pharmacystudents community 🙂
 
Vandykitten said:
Thanks for all your input! I really appreciate it 🙂

Your profile says you're located in Alabama...do you go to school there are do you live there?

I think you have a livejournal too...I'm in the pharmacystudents community 🙂

yes i go to school in alabama (MSOP) samford
i do also have a live journal and i believe i noticed you and futurerxgirl (sorry can't remember exact SN but the FAQ queen) also have one
 
bbmuffin said:
yes i go to school in alabama (MSOP) samford
i do also have a live journal and i believe i noticed you and futurerxgirl (sorry can't remember exact SN but the FAQ queen) also have one

Samford is actually another school to which I have applied. I sent in my application a few weeks back and I hear they don't make any decisions until December or January. I knew a few people who went there (including the pharmacist I work for) so I hope that'll help a bit, though it looks like quite a competative school! :scared: 🙂 Do you like it there?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Vandykitten said:
Samford is actually another school to which I have applied. I sent in my application a few weeks back and I hear they don't make any decisions until December or January. I knew a few people who went there (including the pharmacist I work for) so I hope that'll help a bit, though it looks like quite a competative school! :scared: 🙂 Do you like it there?

yeah its nice but its very hard... (i'm sure no harder than anywhere else)...

the professors really care about you and really care about everything that goes on even in your personal life (if you want them to know).

if you would like to know anything at all about the school (i'll be honest) just pm me..