Is pharmacy school worth the debt? Can you work during it? A little nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curlygirl1738

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Reaction score
I am 23 and have no acceptance yet as I interview in two weeks. However I graduated college with no debt due to scholarships and my dad helping out. are there scholarships out there for pharm school? Also am I able to work as well to support myself through school? rent, car note, etc. I am nervous seeing the 200k-300k in debt prices. my school is 40k yearly with fees and everything. private school. any advice will be much appreciated. It seems like all other healthcare programs are pricey too. I see nursing is a bang for your buck and I already have a BS in science. however the job doesn't intrigue me at all (I used to be a patient care tech) and it turned me off so bad from the field. although the nurses seemed fairly paid but hated their jobs and were always defending themselves against unfair assignments. idk doesn't seem ideal to me. so I feel stuck. Like if I don't make this sacrifice I wont have a decent career in the future etc. the only alternative I am seeking is imaging technician (ultra sound,mri, x ray etc) (wayyyyyyy cheaper overall) thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

No.

You've made 3 threads about the same thing, trying to justify your impulse decision to enter pharmacy school without doing any research. I'm pretty sure the mods are going merge all of your threads into one or start deleting them.

Reactions: 2 users
No.

You've made 3 threads about the same thing, trying to justify your impulse decision to enter pharmacy school without doing any research. I'm pretty sure the mods are going merge all of your threads into one or start deleting them.
I have done research...plenty of it. You sound very hateful towards this profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've done your research then what's there to ask? no one on this board will tell you to go to pharmacy school, especially not for 160k+.

Reactions: 1 user
If you've done your research then what's there to ask? no one on this board will tell you to go to pharmacy school, especially not for 160k+.
But y’all are pharmacists? So do you regret your choice? If so what would you have done instead

Another thread? Really? You could have kept this to one thread….

The most likely scenario is you’ll accrue tons of student debt and have no choice but to work retail for less than 50$ an hour under high stress conditions where you won’t be able to pee or eat. You’ll be doing 5 things at once and leave every day physically and mentally drained. The outcome? Your boss will say you’re underperforming and your patients STILL will not be satisfied.

I’m not saying you cannot get a unicorn job but this is a game of odds. The most likely outcome to graduation from pharmacy school is what I described. Go do the math on what your paycheck looks like after taxes at 50$ a hour, and what your student loan payment will be with 200k at current rates. You’ll quickly realize you’ll be living in poverty working like a slave.

I did this with no student loan burden and if it comes down to me going back to retail pharmacy or restarting in another field, I’m restarting no hesitation.

You need to ask yourself if this is how you want to live your life.

Omg you're only 23, you have your whole life ahead of you. I don't know why you think time is running out and you need to make a decision now now now. This decision could ruin your life for the next 10+ years.

Omg you're only 23, you have your whole life ahead of you. I don't know why you think time is running out and you need to make a decision now now now. This decision could ruin your life for the next 10+ years.
Most routes I want to go to are at least a minimum of 2 years. I already took 2 gap years and just worked honestly. so I see that it's time to start school again, generally speaking. People are talking as if I have started school already which I have not. but I have nothing to lose from interviewing, and quite frankly I want to make more money.

I don't want to be 30 when I have a career going.

I don't want to be 30 when I have a career going.
Well you could be 27, in 6 figure crushing student debt, working away in the fast food world that is CVS or Walgreens for crumbs. Doesn’t sound like much of a career to me.

You’re so young, look into something else. You’ll thank us later. Don’t worry about “loosing” a year or two at your age. Making the right career choice can put you years ahead once you start.

Status
Not open for further replies.