UT galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invitro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard some good things about this program...good hours, friendly residents, good connections, great pain program. Any residents want to comment?

BTW I am a 3rd yr at a med school in DC/have Virginia residence, will this hurt me? I don't know if they have a preference for texas residents. I am tired of the DC scene, and would like to go to a smaller city down south.
My stats: Step I 225/91, mostly honors in 2nd yr, have a shot at AOA, two research papers NOT in anesthesia, working on a anesthesiology project. I know, not an incredible record, but decent. I would be really really happy to match at this program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, sorry no one replied to your message yet after 50+ views! Let me do the deed...

Your stats are typical for people who match at this program.
What you say is true: the people here are nice, residents get off ridiculously early and even have opportunities to moonlight by signing on to take "late rooms" for extra cash. With cost of living so low here they end up buying houses, paying down loans and driving nice cars while still having extra for Vegas or whatever. Its like a regular job with some studying on the side.
Its silly how nice they are in the department: Dinner provided nightly with leftovers in the refridgerator in the lounge. Big leather sectional in there with a TV. Lots of support and back patting from faculty. Im not kidding, those people are really happy folks.

Come for an elective and behave like a normal, cool person and you will see that this is no hyperbole. By putting a face to your application you should be a shoe-in. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there a couple of years back. Great program, great hospital, great facutly, great bunch of residents. Out of 15 programs it was in my top 3. Galveston however, is a dump.. I got lost when I drove in and I was afraid for my life. The island is booooooring and the water and air are almost toxic. The closest major city is houston (about 1 hour away) which is also a dump. Great program, great people, terrible location.. beyond 3rd world. In the end I prematched my intern spot so I didnt rank this program (its 4 years).

I think they may have some issues with inadequate case loads. especially in major vascular. They are also THE major hospital for the texas prison system, ( :confused: whatever you think) Location blows bigtime especially in the summer when you have cockroaches the size of a mouse(literally) FLYING around. I believe that where you are will determine how happy you are more than if you will get an extra month of tee training or something. So, remember there are plenty of programs that are by beaches or mountains. as long as they are acgme certified and not on probation, it should be on your list. hope that helped.

Foul air? Foul water? Cockroaches that are the size of mice? That FLY? Ewwww! :eek:

On the other hand, what about the training? Do the residents get good fellowships? What about job prospects?

Hey UTsouthwestern....what do you think of the program? I know it is not as bad as EL paso, but is it as crappy as the previous two posters say it is?

In all honesty, if the quality of teaching/job placement is good, the people are friendly, the housing is super cheap, and it has a gym/decent grocery stores, I'm good to go.