UPitt Post rejection letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LionKing

Use the Force.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after being rejected from UPitt, I wrote to the dean asking for methods to improve my application for next year:

"Dear (Dean):

I am writing in response to my rejection from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. As you noted in your personal review of my application, I have worked very hard to achieve my goal of becoming a physician.

I am asking you for a post rejection evaluation so I know how to improve my application for next year. Your candor in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your hard work and for recognizing the time and commitment I have invested into all of my endeavors, including my goal of becoming a physician."

Today I received the following from the Dean:

I have received your letter requesting reconsideration of our decision not to go further with your application. I regret to inform you that our decision remains unchanged. Yours Truly, Dean

Was I not clear enough in my original letter?- I really was not requesting reconsideration of my evaluation- my advisor even signed off on the letter saying he thought it was fine. Anyone think I should pursue tips on how to improve my application further? Anyone go through anything similar? Would love to hear thoughts or comments.

Members don't see this ad.

it looks like they only bothered to read the first sentence.

Was this a post-interview rejection?

It seems like the only problem with your letter is the timing. He probably did not read it very well and concluded you were asking for a second chance.

If you sincerely want to know how to improve, maybe you should write to him again some time next year when application season has quieted down.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pembleton said:
Was this a post-interview rejection?

It seems like the only problem with your letter is the timing. He probably did not read it very well and concluded you were asking for a second chance.

If you sincerely want to know how to improve, maybe you should write to him again some time next year when application season has quieted down.

Good luck.

Post secondary, no interview. I figured it would be best to write before my file was destroyed- Do they even do that? Who knows, thanks for the tips.

LionKing said:
Post secondary, no interview. I figured it would be best to write before my file was destroyed- Do they even do that? Who knows, thanks for the tips.

I'm not sure if they destroy your file or not. I think some schools keep the older info to compare to any new info if someone decides to reapply to the school.

derf said:
it looks like they only bothered to read the first sentence.

Yep.
Telephone them and ask to schedule a time with the dean. They'll tell you when good time is.

This just goes to show how much adcoms care.

I bet some poor fool will write a three page letter and they still just read the first line and send them the generic letter.

I'd email him...and not worry about being so formal...I think the formality of your letter: "I am writing to request a post-rejection evaluation" made it sound a little like a re-evaluation. Just say: "what can I do to improve?" The dean was a scatterbrain at pitt...so don't take it personally

B

since the dude is only reading the first two sentences...

just write
"how can i improve so that ill be accepted next year? do u have any suggestions?

mofos... mofos... mofos.... mofos... non-acceptin mofos.. blah blah blah... mofos!"

lol

VickFan said:
since the dude is only reading the first two sentences...

just write
"how can i improve so that ill be accepted next year? do u have any suggestions?

mofos... mofos... mofos.... mofos... non-acceptin mofos.. blah blah blah... mofos!"

lol

Ya know Vick, my blood was boiling all day over this until I read your post... thanks for the cheer....Its Saturday night and time to party! :laugh:

I've had similar experiences. Schools who have rejected you don't want to hear from you again(for the year.) I was placed on hold at a school i sent letters every 2 weeks or so even emailing the dean-(which we were allowed to do). Nobody cared and his response showed that he didnt even read my email. I guess they just have too many applicants. It sucks but thats life we gotta get over it. You sound like a good applicant I'm sure you will get in elsewhere.