Single letter vs. separate LOI and update letter

Started by Premed421
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hello!

I would like to send a LOI to my top choice, but also have some updates (published abstracts/manuscripts, expansion of community initiative, etc.) that I would like to add. Is it better to have two separate letters with distinct purposes, or better to be succinct? My updates are quite long due to citations, and I would only have space for a short paragraph to explain my interest. I have some ties to the school (friends who attend, location, etc.) and really like the curricular programs + research they have, so I have quite a bit to say. Is it better to be super thorough in explaining why they are my top choice specifically, or is saying that I will 100% enroll enough? This is for Einstein, so I wanted to make my interest sound genuine.

I would especially appreciate any advice from adcoms on this matter. Thank you!
@LizzyM @wysdoc @Goro @gyngyn @Faha @Mr.Smile12
A single letter would be preferable to two back-to-back letters. For your publications, you can simply provide a PMID to cut down on the length. I'd also recommend saying everything you need to say with the least amount of words possible. The more you write, the more diluted the important stuff becomes (and the more likely it'll be glossed over). Just my thoughts and best of luck.
 
A single letter would be preferable to two back-to-back letters. For your publications, you can simply provide a PMID to cut down on the length. I'd also recommend saying everything you need to say with the least amount of words possible. The more you write, the more diluted the important stuff becomes (and the more likely it'll be glossed over). Just my thoughts and best of luck.
.
 
Last edited: