Recent appeal of rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medschoolapplicantagain

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not seriously considering this (probably), but I saw some old threads (1, 2, 3) where people have reported getting a rejection reversed because they appealed a rejection (including one story by LizzyM). However, these are quite old (about 20 years ago). Has anyone had this happen any time recently (e.g., within the past 5 years or so)?
 
I'm not seriously considering this (probably), but I saw some old threads (1, 2, 3) where people have reported getting a rejection reversed because they appealed a rejection (including one story by LizzyM). However, these are quite old (about 20 years ago). Has anyone had this happen any time recently (e.g., within the past 5 years or so)?
I have never heard of one. The closest you can come to getting some idea of why you weren’t accepted is to go to a reapplicant seminar at the school you are thinking of.
Not all schools hold these, and if they do it will be after this application cycle has concluded.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be clear, the story I offered involved not getting a secondary and appealing that decision, and not getting an interview (same applicant) and asking for an appeal of that decision. Applicant is now an attending about 20 years out of med school.

AFAIK, schools do not reverse rejections which is why some schools will string you along forever just incase something unusual happens and they need to go to the bench.
 
I'm not seriously considering this (probably), but I saw some old threads (1, 2, 3) where people have reported getting a rejection reversed because they appealed a rejection (including one story by LizzyM). However, these are quite old (about 20 years ago). Has anyone had this happen any time recently (e.g., within the past 5 years or so)?
Not at my school.
 
To be clear, the story I offered involved not getting a secondary and appealing that decision, and not getting an interview (same applicant) and asking for an appeal of that decision. Applicant is now an attending about 20 years out of med school.

AFAIK, schools do not reverse rejections which is why some schools will string you along forever just incase something unusual happens and they need to go to the bench.
@LizzyM Ah, that makes more sense. Were they explicitly told they were declined from being given a secondary, or was it just assumed based on silence?

I suppose that was from a different age (when perhaps the barrier to receiving a secondary was higher).