Official U Maryland Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueMagpie

Meladori
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the suggestion of starfruit, here it is!

So who's going to be with me next year? Where are you guys thinking about living? Is anyone doing the summer pre-matriculation program?

Also, feel free to post about anything else on your minds.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in August! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hey, i'm interviewing there soon? how can i rub them the right way?

shawty ya'head said:

Just be yourself...interviewers were very chillax!

:thumbup:

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 11/29...and the next round of decisions are going to be made soon (11/13 I think)!!

Good luck to everyone waiting!

shawty ya'head said:

Make sure you talk about your interests outside of medicine. My interviewers were extremely chill as well.

Yup. Adcom met on Monday 12/6, and will meet again for the final time b/f the holidays on 12/13. People seem to be recieving decisions on Fri/Sat after meetings.

BlueMagpie - Thanks for initiating the thread. Hopefully you'll have more future classmates soon! :)

BlueMagpie said:
At the suggestion of starfruit, here it is!

So who's going to be with me next year? Where are you guys thinking about living? Is anyone doing the summer pre-matriculation program?

Also, feel free to post about anything else on your minds.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in August! :D

I'm pretty sure I'll be there. I have started looking for places to live around the Hopkins undergrad campus (i like the area better and it's probably cheaper). Where are you thinking of living? Have you actually received info on housing/dorms and the summer program?

I am jealous, I want to be part of the Official UMD entering class. :( A quick question, how many ppl did they interview that day when you had your interview ? Thanks

Hmmm... I don't remember exactly how many people interviewed with me. But I remember it seemed like a lot. Perhaps 12?

Good luck nervouspremed :luck: I hope you hear from them soon!

Hey Tinkerbelle - I'm not sure where to live...I like the idea of living close enough to class to walk at least for the first year, but Federal Hill is pretty close, really nice, and def. cheaper. But then you have to pay for parking, and man, the student parking garage is a little sketch.

And to answer your other question: we got the info about housing and the pre-matriculation program with our interview packet. I think that they're going to be sending us some more stuff about it, though.

nervouspremed - On my interview day there were about 17 people, give or take.

gosh, it seemed like there were at least 20 people there on my day. But we were told UMD was trying to get as may interviews done as possible before bad weather hits. I guess that was in reference to all the snow we got last winter. We also were told that MD residents were really late in submitting their apps this year - there were only 2 MD residents in my entire group - go figure!

BlueMagpie said:
Hey Tinkerbelle - I'm not sure where to live...I like the idea of living close enough to class to walk at least for the first year, but Federal Hill is pretty close, really nice, and def. cheaper. But then you have to pay for parking, and man, the student parking garage is a little sketch.

And to answer your other question: we got the info about housing and the pre-matriculation program with our interview packet. I think that they're going to be sending us some more stuff about it, though.

Ohhh. Well. I suppose I should look through the folder from Interview Day :laugh: I assumed they would send info with our acceptance letter. I never even looked though the packet they gave us :p

Yup, Federal Hill is pretty nice. Canton isn't bad either. We should have a house hunting party :) We should all meet up and look at cool places to live. So far, the only apartment building I have found that isn't infested with mice is about $700/person (which is a bit expensive for me). You don't have to pay for any bills though.. it's all included in the rent.

Places around the Hokins campus are cheaper. If you have roommates, you can find something for about $400/month. Efficiencies & one bedrooms were about $700 when I lived in the area.

I remember a current UMD student posting that he lived a few blocks from campus and pays ~$500/month. Although I'm not sure if he's getting close to the sketchier parts of Baltimore. The price is pretty good though.

Nervouspremed, good luck and don't give up on UMD! I really liked it there when I visited. I think (if i remember correctly) I was in Tinkerbelle's group? Anyways, I unfortunately will not be joining you guys next year. I am out of state applicant, so I would have to pay the same amount as I would for a private school. So I'm gonna be giving up my acceptance (hope this helps you nervouspremed) to UMD.

Members don't see this ad :)
TMag said:
Nervouspremed, good luck and don't give up on UMD! I really liked it there when I visited. I think (if i remember correctly) I was in Tinkerbelle's group? Anyways, I unfortunately will not be joining you guys next year. I am out of state applicant, so I would have to pay the same amount as I would for a private school. So I'm gonna be giving up my acceptance (hope this helps you nervouspremed) to UMD.
Thanks TMag, call them and tell them that you want to give your acceptance to ME. haha,anyway, good luck getting into your top school. :luck:

nervouspremed said:
Thanks TMag, call them and tell them that you want to give your acceptance to ME. haha,anyway, good luck getting into your top school. :luck:

Thanks :) But I heard back already (that's why i'm giving up the maryland acceptance). Here's hoping you get an invite within the next few weeks!

TMag said:
Thanks :) But I heard back already (that's why i'm giving up the maryland acceptance). Here's hoping you get an invite within the next few weeks!

Congrats on getting your top choice acceptance, TMag :clap:

TMag said:
Congrats man :thumbup: , I hope I will get an invite soon too. Hopefully, I can get some of your good vibe.

Hi everyone,
I applied to the University of Maryland kind of late this year, sometime late in October I think... I haven't heard anything back regarding an interview or a rejection or anything, and I was just wondering if you could tell me about how long it took for you to hear back once you had submitted everything. I am an out-of-state applicant, also... Did anyone call them and ask about their status? I know I'm complete because I saw it online, so I feel kinda dumb calling to ask my status since I already know... Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you,
Emily

I was complete mid-September. I remember my original interview day was Oct 18, and they must have given me at least 2 weeks notice. So I probably received my interview invite early October. I think they are a little backed up at the moment. A bunch of my friends applied to Maryland and haven't heard back yet either. I hope you hear from them soon :luck:

Anyone have any hotel suggestions for a Maryland Interview?

JDAD,

You could stay at one of the hotels in the Inner Harbor (5~10 min cab ride) or by the Hopkins undergrad campus (10~15 min cab ride). The Inner Harbor will be more expensive though. It's like the pretty part of ugly baltimore.

If you look for stuff around Hopkins, you could stay at the Carlyle or the Colonade (mad expensive, but super nice).

Hi guys,

How kindly does Maryland look upon on former MD residents?
(grasping for straws)

They love MD residents (normal, since it's a state school) and UMCP students/graduates. Now, if you are a "former" MD resident, I don't know... :luck:

KiKat37 said:
They love MD residents (normal, since it's a state school) and UMCP students/graduates. Now, if you are a "former" MD resident, I don't know... :luck:

Thanks, I guess.

I did do post-bacc work at College Park. And I lived in DC but worked in Maryland. I doubt it counts for much.

Pembleton said:
Thanks, I guess.

I did do post-bacc work at College Park. And I lived in DC but worked in Maryland. I doubt it counts for much.

You never know. Did you mention all this info on you application? It might help...

Oups! I didn't mean to discourage you Pembleton. I really did not. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say... I was just trying to say: they like residents and I don't know how they feel about former residents. I never meant to imply that your chances were slim because you are no longer a resident. Sorry! :(

I agree with Tinkerbelle. I think you can increase your chances if you explain everything you talked about in your last post. As long as you can show that you have "special ties" to MD, it should make a difference. :)

Good luck! :luck:

Thanks KiKat37 and Tinkerbelle for the advice. I did mention my ties to Maryland in the secondary. Hopefully it's a plus... You never know.

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty sure I'll be joining you all at Maryland next year. I'm still waiting to hear from other places, but who are we kidding? its an awesome school and the price is right!

As for housing, the area called ridgely's delight seems to be reasonably priced (a little cheaper than dorms ~$400-$600 for a room) and close to campus (between the medical center and Camden yards). i have no idea how safe it is to walk around there though. it sounds like you can just get a $20 parking permit for the year though and park on the street in front of your house! (coming from providence where you can never park on the street over night, that's really awesome news). the residence life office website has a bulletin board where i found a bunch of listings for off campus housing.

one thing i'm sad about though is that we have to wait until the first day of classes to get our laptops...my computer is so dead, i really need a new one. i've made do with it for this long though, what's another 8 months?!

neuropower said:
As for housing, the area called ridgely's delight seems to be reasonably priced (a little cheaper than dorms ~$400-$600 for a room) and close to campus (between the medical center and Camden yards). i have no idea how safe it is to walk around there though. it sounds like you can just get a $20 parking permit for the year though and park on the street in front of your house! (coming from providence where you can never park on the street over night, that's really awesome news). the residence life office website has a bulletin board where i found a bunch of listings for off campus housing.

Yup, one of my friends suggested living in Ridgely's Delight. *Groan* Now I have to make a trip up to Baltimore to check the area out. When you say $400-$600/room, do you mean that there are row houses and so we need to find roommates? Anyways. I heard the area heading towards Camden yards is fairly safe (compared to the rest of Baltimore).

Yay! I just pulled a "tinkerbelle" and called the admissions office to check my status after 4+ weeks of waiting. I'm in! UMD is a fantastic school, and I'm so psyched! Good luck to all those who are still waiting. :)

starfruit said:
Yay! I just pulled a "tinkerbelle" and called the admissions office to check my status after 4+ weeks of waiting. I'm in! UMD is a fantastic school, and I'm so psyched! Good luck to all those who are still waiting. :)

Awesome!! Congrats!! :D

it is been only 2 weeks for me...is it worth it to call them? I want to know the decision soon!

starfruit said:

:laugh: :laugh:

Congrats on the acceptance starfruit :clap: I guess we'll be classmates!

Thanks guys! It's great that this thread is so supportive!

Congrats everyone. Look forward to (hopefully) seeing at least a little bit of you next year (alas, the curse of the wards... I rarely see the MSIIIs this year!).

Have as much fun as you can this summer!

starfruit said:
Congrats starfruit, you deserve it. :thumbup:

Good job starfruit and all others who have been accepted!

I might be seeing all of you in the fall as well. I was really impressed by the program...the students seem to work hard while leading decently balanced lives. And the hospital is amazing! I am sure all of you from Maryland realize how lucky you are to have such a great school.

Pembleton said:
Thanks, I guess.

Pembleton -- I just went back and read your posts. Our situations sound a bit similar (took post-bacc classes in MD but lived and worked in the District). So that definitely helps your chances if you mentioned it in your application.

starfruit said:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's awesome! Go celebrate!! You're gonna be a DOCTOR! :D

Good job starfruit! (which is a delicious fruit by the way)

Thanks for the glimmer of hope joy77!

Bumping to see if any of you are thinking about doing the pre-matriculation summer program. I think it would be a good idea, but I'm having problems with giving up my last summer before med school...

Also, how many of you guys are older/non-trads? I hope I'm not the only one! :rolleyes: :)

bluemagpie - I'm definitely a non-trad. Late 20s. I'm hoping there will be quite a few of us. As for the prematriculation summer program, it sounds interesting, but I think I'll still be working then.

Did any of you who have interviewed ask how many students are on each rotation at one time? Just curious.

Has - Personally, I'd wait a bit longer than 2 weeks post-interview before calling. However, if you want to call and say something like "I'm just curious whether I'll hear anything before the holidays," I guess it wouldn't hurt. The person I talked with on the phone was really nice from the start. However, the last adcom meeting before the New Year was on Monday, so you'll hear in the next few days if you've been reviewed.

Kikat37, nervouspremed, and pembleton - stay positive, and let us know if you hear any news from UMD.

Everyone else - thanks for the congrats. I'm so excited! :)

I wanted to do the pre-matriculation program as well. However, I think I will still be working at that time.

Hi,

Since this thread is supposed to be for people who have been accepted, I don't know if this is the right place to post my question. I'm relatively new to SDN...how the heck do you become one of the "popular" SDN'ers who get their questions answered? :rolleyes:

I previously posted this on another thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165886&page=2

But I'm posting it here since it seems like more people respond to this thread than the previous link:

I've read on SDN that December 13 was the last committee meeting before the holidays. For people who recently received interview invites, are they in late January/early February? Does the later date mean that it could be potentially for waitlist? In other words, does U of MD fill its class really early? I'm just wondering because in other threads, some SDNers were saying that early January interviews (at all schools in general) for next year would be better than in February and later.

Hopefully the "experts" (tinkerbelle, cytoskelement, starfruit, kikat, etc...) can contribute to any insights on any pertinent info about U of MD interview process and admissions. Somehow, personal accounts seem more helpful than re-reading MSAR and US News for the n-th time.

Thanks & g'luck! :luck:

hi calvin&hobbes -

I saw your post in the other thread, but I don't really have any answers for you on those particular questions. You might want to PM Cytoskelement, who is (I think) a second year at UMD - he/she is the one who's given us all some insight into the ADCOM meeting dates, etc... Sorry I can't give you a more informative answer. Good luck.

P.S. I guess this thread has really become an "ask all questions about UMD thread" so ask away! :)

starfruit said:
hi calvin&hobbes -

I saw your post in the other thread, but I don't really have any answers for you on those particular questions. You might want to PM Cytoskelement, who is (I think) a second year at UMD - he/she is the one who's given us all some insight into the ADCOM meeting dates, etc... Sorry I can't give you a more informative answer. Good luck.

P.S. I guess this thread has really become an "ask all questions about UMD thread" so ask away! :)

Hey Starfruit,

It's okay that you can't really answer my questions. But it's nice to know that this thread has become a Q&A about Maryland. I just didn't want to clutter this thread since it's supposed to be about you guys, the accepted ones.

By the way, how was your interview experience?

Hmm. I don't know if UMD fills it's class eraly. But I think one of my friends interviewed in like February and still got in. So there is always hope :)

calvin&hobbes, don't worry about "cluttering" up this thread. I don't think any of us are that anal :) So ask all the questions you want!

The interviews at UMD are very relaxed. They do ask you the
"why do you have so many C's in Orgo etc". But I think in general, they just want to make sure you are normal. So don't stress over the UMD interview. I can give you more details if you want.

I agree with tinkerbelle. The interview day is very chill. You arrive in the morning and find out when your two interviews will be held (9 am, 10am, 2 pm, 3pm) and, if you don't have one of the first interviews, you can either hang out in the admissions office, or sit in on a first year lecture. THen, there are several chats at 11 am with fin aid, and with Dean Foxwell, followed by lunch and conversation with med students. After lunch, there is a tour in small groups of 3-4 interviewees led by fourth year med students. Then any remaining interviews occur after the tours.

In terms of the interviews themselves, they were very conversational. My morning interview was with an ER doc, with a med student interview in the afternoon. The interviewers are not 'out to get you' but you should be prepared to answer any questions that do probe into any potential weaknesses in your record in a thoughtful but confident way. I think they just want to know that if you've had some struggles in the past, whether in terms of grades or other things, you recognize that, and feel you can improve/have remedied the problem. You also want to have though through how you will answer the 'big' questions such as "Why do you want to be a doctor," and "Why UMD?" Further, as others in this thread have said, be sure to talk about your interests and activities outside of medicine, as UMD seems to look for well-rounded students who will make a colorful class.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any other questions you may have, and we'll do our best to answer them. :) :luck:

Here are some questions of my very own... :)

(1) Does anyone know how many students are at each rotation site during the third and fourth years?

(2) In one of the handouts sent in the acceptance packet, it is mentioned that the school purchases for students "predetermined technological equipment (including but not necessarily limited to a mobile computer)." We all know about the laptop requirement. But does the school also purchase PDAs for its students? I was trying to think of what other tech equipment the handout could be talking about. Pagers for third and fourth years? I know I'm really thinking ahead here, but it's such interesting stuff.

(3) What goes on during orientation, and how long is it?

We buy pagers and PDAs before third year. The school organizes this; but we pay out of our pocket. They prices are discounted for both since we buy in bulk.

As for orientation, it is a mix of lectures on professionalism, the history of the school, and a chance for everyone to meet each other. The second year students will organize social events every evening to local pubs, restaurants, etc. It's a great time because there is no school pressure yet.

Ciao.