Official U Maryland Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cytoskelement (or anyone who has an opinion) -
i'm thinking of living in silver spring because my bf is in school in dc and we want to live together. do you know students who are commuting from the dc area? how common is it? do you think they are at disadvantage academically/socially?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the insight, cytoskelement!

neuropower said:
i'm thinking of living in silver spring because my bf is in school in dc and we want to live together. do you know students who are commuting from the dc area? how common is it? do you think they are at disadvantage academically/socially?

Most of the students I met there lived in Baltimore and said that the majority of people did so. One of the current MS-Is lived about 30 min outside of Baltimore and commuted every day, she said that the didn't like it and was going to move closer next year. She said she just went home after class and ended up staying there until the next morning, because she felt like the library, friends and whatnot was too far once she got home.

But, hey, that's just one person. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
how does the waitlist work @ umd? been waitlisted.

has said:
how does the waitlist work @ umd? been waitlisted.

When did you interview and when did you hear, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks!

has - sorry to hear your news.

From previous years' threads, it looks like the UMD waitlist has three tiers, and the Adcom will rank people in late May/early June. In 2003, the waitlist had 180 people. It also looks like there's a post-interview hold category at UMD.

Do a thread search in Pre-allo for "Maryland waitlist" and you'll come up with some helpful info. Good luck.

neuropower said:

I'll be commuting 30-45 min (husband works in DC). I think it will take some discipline, but my plan is to hang around the campus/ library to do work for several hours after class and not go home until the evening.

neuropower said:

I live in Silver Spring and I go to Baltimore all the time. I don't know if I could do it every morning for med school though. I guess if you left super early as to avoid rush hour, it would be ok. The commute is like 45 minutes. Maybe 50. So i guess it isn't too bad. However, I would think you would miss out on a lot of the spur of the moment outings. Although I'm sure you could always crash with friends if it was too late to drive home :)

Has anyone called the adcom at University of Maryland to check on their application if they haven't heard anything in a couple of months? I am complete but I haven't heard anything regarding an interview or a rejection, and I'm really interested in the school so I'm getting anxious. Anyone find out about an interview invite this way??

Thanks,
Emily

Ylime said:
Has anyone called the adcom at University of Maryland to check on their application if they haven't heard anything in a couple of months? I am complete but I haven't heard anything regarding an interview or a rejection, and I'm really interested in the school so I'm getting anxious. Anyone find out about an interview invite this way??

Thanks,
Emily
When you call, they will probably tell you to check online for your status. I think the interview invite is thro email. UMD is also my top choice too, so good luck to us. I am hoping that they will start reviewing all the applicants over again now that most of the Aug-mcater have been reviewed. Good luck

nervouspremed said:
When you call, they will probably tell you to check online for your status. I think the interview invite is thro email. UMD is also my top choice too, so good luck to us. I am hoping that they will start reviewing all the applicants over again now that most of the Aug-mcater have been reviewed. Good luck

so is it a bad sign if I can't access my status page anymore? Are they pulling a "Northwestern"?

MedicineBird said:
so is it a bad sign if I can't access my status page anymore? Are they pulling a "Northwestern"?

I don't know if that's a bad sign or not, but I just checked, and am still able to sign in. Good luck tho, plz let me know if that can be use to determine if one is rejected or not. :luck:

MedicineBird said:

I had the same problem but tried it again a few hours later. Eventually, I got in. They might have been working on their system or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pembleton said:
I had the same problem but tried it again a few hours later. Eventually, I got in. They might have been working on their system or something.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it again (many hours have passed) and had no luck. Then I asked for my password to be emailed to me and it says access denied. I am hearing the bell toll. :(

MedicineBird said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it again (many hours have passed) and had no luck. Then I asked for my password to be emailed to me and it says access denied. I am hearing the bell toll. :(

<sings Michael Jackson> "You are not alone, I am here with you"

To make sure I wasn't seeing things, I tried logging in again and I couldn't. I know I was able to a few hours ago. I think there might be something going on with their system. Keep your chin up.

Pembleton said:
<sings Michael Jackson> "You are not alone, I am here with you"

To make sure I wasn't seeing things, I tried logging in again and I couldn't. I know I was able to a few hours ago. I think there might be something going on with their system. Keep your chin up.

:scared: sniff sniff. I am trying to be brave.....hold me

MedicineBird said:
:scared: sniff sniff. I am trying to be brave.....hold me
I don't think UMD deny your online access even if you are rejected. I could be wrong, just have to wait til someone that have been rejected to confirm it. Good luck to us all :luck:

K, I just got denied too

I just wanted to tell you guys that I've had a number of problems logging on to Maryland's website in the past, I think that their network can be a little, uh, problematic sometimes. I sincerely hope that they're not pulling an arrogant Northwestern act of kicking everyone out of the system before letters arrive. I don't think Maryland rolls like that.

Anyhow, Happy New Year to you all!!

BlueMagpie said:
I just wanted to tell you guys that I've had a number of problems logging on to Maryland's website in the past, I think that their network can be a little, uh, problematic sometimes. I sincerely hope that they're not pulling an arrogant Northwestern act of kicking everyone out of the system before letters arrive. I don't think Maryland rolls like that.

Anyhow, Happy New Year too you all!!

BlueMagpie, can you log in tho? I haven't been able to log in since last night. Can anybody still able to log in or just those that gonna get a rejection letter soon? :scared:

nervouspremed said:
BlueMagpie, can you log in tho? I haven't been able to log in since last night. Can anybody still able to log in or just those that gonna get a rejection letter soon? :scared:

I still can't

nervouspremed said:

No, I can't get in either, so I would just wait a little and then call Monday if nothing is resolved by then. No one is in the office this week.

Has anyone starting filling out their FAFSA yet? wtf is up with the site? I can't figure out how to get to the actual application part...grrrrr.... :mad:

BlueMagpie said:
Has anyone starting filling out their FAFSA yet? wtf is up with the site? I can't figure out how to get to the actual application part...grrrrr.... :mad:

Nope, I won't fill the FAFSA out until I get my W2s. Do you guys know when the dealine for MD scholarships is? Isn't it in like March? I remember the Maryland deadline being before the FAFSA was actually due.

tinkerbelle said:
Nope, I won't fill the FAFSA out until I get my W2s. Do you guys know when the dealine for MD scholarships is? Isn't it in like March? I remember the Maryland deadline being before the FAFSA was actually due.

at my last interview thay said to have it in in Feb.

MedicineBird said:
at my last interview thay said to have it in in Feb.

Oh gosh, that's pretty soon. Thanks MedicineBird :)

Still down for me too.

The time is now 1:00 pm in Baltimore and I am still unable to log in.... BEEEEEEEP.

fyi - website is back up.

starfruit said:
fyi - website is back up.

phew! not that it told me anything wonderful but phew nonetheless. :)

This doesn't exactly fit here but this looked like the best place for it... Does anyone know when U Maryland will be finished giving out interview invites? Also, does anyone know if they wait till the end to reject people who haven't interviewed, or if they reject as they evaluate the apps??

Thanks,
Emily

Looks like there are two people listed in the rejection thread who received word from UMD. Regarding when UMD stops interviewing, I don't know the answer, but someone in mdapplicants had a mid-Feb interview lined up, so they seem to be booked at least until then.

joy77 said:
I'll be commuting 30-45 min (husband works in DC). I think it will take some discipline, but my plan is to hang around the campus/ library to do work for several hours after class and not go home until the evening.

cool, we should be friends :) are you going to drive or take the marc train? we were looking at places in silver spring and takoma park this weekend which could easily be an hour drive (or more??), but haven't checked out greenbelt or other places on the camden or penn lines. any suggestions? do you own a home or are you renting?

i have a similar plan re: working for 3-5 hours after class and then going home around dinner time. the thing i love about maryland is that there are no classes in the afternoon. i am considering attending georgetown because then i'd have no commute, but they have classes from 9-5! so it seems like i'd actually have more free time/study time at maryland with commuting than at georgetown with no commute.

neuropower said:
cool, we should be friends :) are you going to drive or take the marc train? we were looking at places in silver spring and takoma park this weekend which could easily be an hour drive (or more??), but haven't checked out greenbelt or other places on the camden or penn lines. any suggestions? do you own a home or are you renting?

laurel is a bit closer (about 20 minutes closer than silver spring). The drive from Silver Spring takes me about 50 mintues. Less if traffic is good. I take the Marc Train to Baltimore all the time (i take the Penn Line from Union or New Carrollton, but I suppose you could take the Camden line from college park or something). I suppose it's an ok commute... it's a lot longer than just driving though.

tinkerbelle said:
laurel is a bit closer (about 20 minutes closer than silver spring). The drive from Silver Spring takes me about 50 mintues. Less if traffic is good. I take the Marc Train to Baltimore all the time (i take the Penn Line from Union or New Carrollton, but I suppose you could take the Camden line from college park or something). I suppose it's an ok commute... it's a lot longer than just driving though.

yeah, laurel or anything outside the beltway would definitely make my commute easier. and i know traffic getting out of the city will add 20-30 minutes. but my bf doesn't have a car and has to be on a metro to get to school. i'm definitely nervous about the commute, but i think i'm going to try it for at least the first year. if i find it's too much, then i'll probably get a place up in baltimore. trying to stay positive though ! :D

Ylime said:
This doesn't exactly fit here but this looked like the best place for it... Does anyone know when U Maryland will be finished giving out interview invites? Also, does anyone know if they wait till the end to reject people who haven't interviewed, or if they reject as they evaluate the apps??

Thanks,
Emily
I think they finish interviewing at the end of March. Since someone alrdy have an interview invite that's scheduled in mid-feb, I guess if we don't hear anything from them by the end of this month, then we are doomed. :scared:

Good golly . . . someone in mdapplicants got a $120K scholarship from UMD...isn't that more than the cost of tuition for in-staters? Wow. Wish that was me. Too bad I didn't go to Hahvard. :)

Good luck to those waiting to hear about UMD interviews. Maybe you should think about sending update letters so that your file is reviewed again. Just a thought.

starfruit said:
Good golly . . . someone in mdapplicants got a $120K scholarship from UMD...isn't that more than the cost of tuition for in-staters? Wow. Wish that was me. Too bad I didn't go to Hahvard. :)

are you serious? wow. lucky, lucky person.

Law2Doc said:
I am possibly going to attend U of Md next fall, and am an avid weight training enthusiast. Does anyone from the area know which are the good gyms in the area? Any major chains (Crunch, Golds, SportsClub LA, etc.)? It will need to be in Baltimore proper as I will probably not have regular access to a car. Thanks!

Golds is downtown at the PowerPlant... about 12 blocks from campus. There is a gym on campus that has all the necessary stuff; but its not the best gym you've ever seen!

neuropower said:

i have a similar plan re: working for 3-5 hours after class and then going home around dinner time. the thing i love about maryland is that there are no classes in the afternoon. i am considering attending georgetown because then i'd have no commute, but they have classes from 9-5! so it seems like i'd actually have more free time/study time at maryland with commuting than at georgetown with no commute.

I think we're going to buy in the Bowie area (the "newer" area close to 495), so it will be the MARC Penn Line from New Carrollton for me. According to the schedule, there's a train that leaves at 6:55 each morning, arrives at Penn station around 7:30, with ample time to hop on the light rail to campus. I can drive when needed, but my preference is to take public transportation, so I can read, relax, or sleep. My husband will take the Metro Orange Line to work, so we plan to drive to the station together, park, and head our separate ways each morning.

I agree that the Maryland schedule is appealing, especially for commuters -- that is a huge selling point for me!

joy77 said:
I think we're going to buy in the Bowie area (the "newer" area close to 495), so it will be the MARC Penn Line from New Carrollton for me. According to the schedule, there's a train that leaves at 6:55 each morning, arrives at Penn station around 7:30, with ample time to hop on the light rail to campus.

Does the light rail drop you off right at UMD? So it's safe?

tinkerbelle said:
Does the light rail drop you off right at UMD? So it's safe?

There is a stop about 3 blocks from the admissions building, so the walk would be about the same as the distance to the outpatient clinics where they sent some of us for our interviews. I would definitely feel safe walking alone during the day or walking with someone else in the early evening. If I knew I had to stay later, say past 9 pm, I guess I would drive to school that day or get a ride or cab to Penn Station. (or carpool with one of my suburban commuter friends!)

That said, I have never actually been to that part of town at night, but the area around the school seems like one of the safer areas. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here; I'm only in Baltimore once a week during broad daylight.

joy77 said:
That said, I have never actually been to that part of town at night, but the area around the school seems like one of the safer areas. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here; I'm only in Baltimore once a week during broad daylight.

Hmm. I never feel safe walking in Baltimore. I lived by Hopkins Hospital (which is like 5 minutes away from UMD), and the area was definitely not safe after dark. But maybe UMD has a good security team. I wonder if the UMD shuttle will drive students to the metro station.

I wish i had my own private helicopter. It would make life so much easier. I wouldn't have to deal with rush hour :D

Hey all! Just checking in on you guys, I hope 2005 is going well for you. I know it's early, but I think we should have an SDN night in Baltimore before schools starts to get to know each other to ease the transition into MS-I. I can't believe it's only a few more months until we start!

Well, anyway, good luck to all of you who are still interviewing/waiting to hear back. ;) I'd better go back to work :rolleyes: Later!

BlueMagpie said:
Hey all! Just checking in on you guys, I hope 2005 is going well for you. I know it's early, but I think we should have an SDN night in Baltimore before schools starts to get to know each other to ease the transition into MS-I. I can't believe it's only a few more months until we start!

Hey, that's a great idea BlueMagpie! It would be nice to know a few people before school starts.

BlueMagpie said:

Well, anyway, good luck to all of you who are still interviewing/waiting to hear back. ;) I'd better go back to work :rolleyes: Later!

Sounds like fun!

Does anyone know the start and end date of the pre-matriculation program and the stipend amount?

marcello said:
Does anyone know the start and end date of the pre-matriculation program and the stipend amount?

The brocuhure says May 31-July 8. Not sure about a stipend, though; it's not mentioned.

tinkerbelle said:
Hmm. I never feel safe walking in Baltimore. I lived by Hopkins Hospital (which is like 5 minutes away from UMD), and the area was definitely not safe after dark. But maybe UMD has a good security team. I wonder if the UMD shuttle will drive students to the metro station.

I wish i had my own private helicopter. It would make life so much easier. I wouldn't have to deal with rush hour :D

Comparing areas around Hopkins Hospital and UMD Hospital is like comparing apples and oranges. Hopkins is smack dab in the middle of low-cost government housing. Only recently have they been making rehab a goal. Take a look at all the construction going on around the UMD hospital, particularly the north side (the "nasty side") especially with new apartment complexes being built, the Hippodrome theatre remodelling, etc. I'm not implying that there in no crime, obviously in a city of this magnitude and a large number of substance abusers - you will have crime. its just not as bad as everyone implies.

there is a shuttle that will take you to areas around campus (the famous "C-Van, 410-706-2826 was the last number I had for it")... i don't know how far it will take you - possibly Penn Station - but I'm not sure. Anyway, the take home message is don't walk around at night by yourself if you don't have to - but don't think that B-more, especially near the school, is Detroit. (No offense intended!)

marcello said:

I think it was about 1200 bucks... geesh a year and a half ago and I can't remember. That's right, my mind is mush from medschool. Call the Office of Medical Education (OME), they will be able to tell you.

Thanks for the info cytoskelement :)

Oh, do you by any chance know whether all of our third and fouth year rotations will be done in the hospital by UMD (like the veterans & the umd hospital)? Or will we have to travel to other hospitals in the area (i.e. having a car in mandatory)?