How to score well on National Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KY2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best study strategy to ace the national boards part 1. Dental decks, old notes. Could anyone who has taken the exam please give their study method and score?

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice.

KY2007 said:
Any advice.

I scored in the high 90's and the secret to the boards is spending a lot of time studying and OLD TESTS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 97. What I suggest is to study the dental decks until your eyes bleed. These basically incorporate all of the old test stuff. You need to go through each card very thoroughly, really paying attention to all of the stuff on the back of the card, not just the answer that they give. Then, I went through each section and determined the things that were difficult for me or not covered very well and tried to augment with other sources. Don't go too overboard studying things that aren't in the dental decks, just augment what you have in there. If you memorize the dental decks, you should get above 90.

Thanks, this information helps alot.

Decks, decks, decks. Know those cards perfectly (the backs are the most important!) and know the concepts behind each possible answer.

Take old released exams to familiarize yourself with question possibilities.

I studied mainly old notes for the basic sciences and did decks for dental anatomy only, but memorized the DA decks until I knew every one...then did as many old tests as I could...and I started studying about 1 month before the exam...got a 97.

KY2007 said:
What is the best study strategy to ace the national boards part 1. Dental decks, old notes. Could anyone who has taken the exam please give their study method and score?

Find out where Mr. National Board lives, break into his house, and steal the answers for the upcoming exam. While you're there, dip his toothbrush in the toilet bowl. HaHa. That'll teach him.

River13 said:
I studied mainly old notes for the basic sciences and did decks for dental anatomy only, but memorized the DA decks until I knew every one...then did as many old tests as I could...and I started studying about 1 month before the exam...got a 97.

Hey River, how'd you get into oral surgery with only a 97? :rolleyes:

Definitely DECKS and OLD EXAMS.
With gross and dental anatomy, I looked at a lot of pictures... thought it made the material a little less dull.

lemondent said:
Definitely DECKS and OLD EXAMS.
With gross and dental anatomy, I looked at a lot of pictures... thought it made the material a little less dull.

Agree with the above...just don't get burned out. Some kids in my class began 4-5 months ahead of time and by the time they actually got near the exam date (like 2-3 weeks prior), they were already just wanting it over. Best to still be somewhat enthusastic (if that isn't a total contradiction in this situation) right up to the test. When you cover material is as important as what you cover. A month or two - if you plan to cram like most seem to - is plenty adequate. I know three of us got together the week before and went over a section a day which was helpful to brush up around the edges.

Oh yeah, and DON'T FREAK OUT!

What about these new Dental Stax. Anyone heard anything about them??

A friend of mine ordered them over a month ago and he never even received the flashcards, all he got was a cd. I think he paid about 190. Not sure if the company is legit. He wrote them emails and they tell him that hes "real close" to having them shipped. plus im weary of a company that uses a name thats basically identical to the leading study review. could be a scam...wouldnt try it.

Are Kaplan courses a waste of time if I have Deck's and backexams already?