How to keep bur perpendicular to long axis of tooth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tooth-freak

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand the concept of keeping the bur perpendicular to the long axis of the tooth, but I am having trouble knowing how to line my bur up on the occlusal surface and being able to know it's at the right angle. Do you have any tips on how you know it is in the right position?
 
I understand the concept of keeping the bur perpendicular to the long axis of the tooth, but I am having trouble knowing how to line my bur up on the occlusal surface and being able to know it's at the right angle. Do you have any tips on how you know it is in the right position?
An amazing tip my professor gave me was to drop the bur to fit between the proximal contact where the embrasure is (I drew an example of what I mean). As long as it’s parallel to that, it should be parallel to the tooth as well : ) Hope that helps!!
 
IMG_0329.jpeg