New Language for ACPE Policy No. 3 [HICP Students Please Read]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ACPE said:
In order to be eligible for initial or continuing accreditation, the Doctor of Pharmacy program must be part of an independent College or School of Pharmacy or a College or School of Pharmacy within a University, which is regularly incorporated and is a legally empowered postsecondary educational institution. The institution housing the College or School, or the independent College or School, must be accredited by a regional/institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or another agency acceptable to the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). Accreditation standards call for a College or School of Pharmacy as an organizational unit and the administrative structure of the College or School of Pharmacy must provide for a Dean, who serves as the chief administrative and academic officer. Evaluation for purposes of initial or continued accreditation requires an invitation by the chief executive officer, or designate, of the institution.

http://www.acpe-accredit.org/news/default.asp

I am not an attorney, not yet at least, but this new policy seems to state that any new pharmacy school needs to be apart of an accredited institution before it can gain accreditation from the ACPE. This sounds like the ACPE is trying to limit the number of new pharmacy schools. This will be a major huddle for new indepedent pharmacy schools.

I have also received several PMs regarding HICP accreditation from concerned HICP students. I want to make it clear that everything I know is available through the ACPE so please contact the ACPE directly <[email protected], 312.664.3575>. I dont want any miscommunication. If the ACPE directs you to contact Randell Miyahara, the Assistant Dean of Student Services and Admissions from HICP, regarding the specific details to why HICP was asked to withdraw its application, I would highly suggest that you include Joanna's email address in the email. I have found that Randell (Randy) does not respond to any inquiries unless he knows the same email is also sent to the ACPE. I am not going to post Randy's email or telephone number here because you should already know if you are an HICP student.

I hate to tell people bad news but I believe it is better to know than not to know.

On the side note: I am disappointed that HICP's VP website was posted on this website. I expect it was probably from an HICP student. I am totally fine with the content of her personal blog and does not reflect poorly on her, nor HICP students.

Members don't see this ad.

ACPE said:
In order to be eligible for initial or continuing accreditation, the Doctor of Pharmacy program must be part of an independent College or School of Pharmacy or a College or School of Pharmacy within a University, which is regularly incorporated and is a legally empowered postsecondary educational institution. The institution housing the College or School, or the independent College or School, must be accredited by a regional/institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or another agency acceptable to the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). Accreditation standards call for a College or School of Pharmacy as an organizational unit and the administrative structure of the College or School of Pharmacy must provide for a Dean, who serves as the chief administrative and academic officer. Evaluation for purposes of initial or continued accreditation requires an invitation by the chief executive officer, or designate, of the institution.

This says independent school of pharmacy, which is what HICP is.

But if you read on, it states "The institution housing the College or School, or the independent College or School, must be accredited by a regional/institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or another agency acceptable to the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)". The doctor of pharmacy program needs to be apart of an institution that has already gained accreditation from an regional agency before it can gain accreditation from the ACPE.

Members don't see this ad :)
BMBiology said:
But if you read on, it states "The institution housing the College or School, or the independent College or School, must be accredited by a regional/institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or another agency acceptable to the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)". The doctor of pharmacy program needs to be apart of an institution that has already gained accreditation from an regional agency before it can gain accreditation from the ACPE.

You hit the nail on the head....ACPE will no longer accredit institutions without the institution first having regional accreditation. HICP does not currently have regional accreditation. My advice to students attending HICP is to find out from the administration what their plans are in light of the new policy.

If ACPE will require regional accreditation, that would be a very good thing to require. Hopefully, it will limit/prevent anyone that will just decide to open up a school without any research or thought

Caverject said:
If ACPE will require regional accreditation, that would be a very good thing to require. Hopefully, it will limit/prevent anyone that will just decide to open up a school without any research or thought

Agreed. ...and will also hopefully help limit pharmacy students to those who are truly 'qualified' to pursue this career, and not just those who are able to write out a check. (Not a dig on HICP's students specifically, but we do know that they weren't too picky towards the end of their acceptances last year.)