Which Irish Schools Would you go? ( over SGU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rico

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I got offer from RCSI and UCD. Besides I have an offer from SGU.
For those who are currently enrolling at Irish Schools, what would be your suggestion about the schools?

1-Is it worth paying more and come to those school?
2- What is the U.S residency replacement percentage?
3- What makes it different over Carribean' schools?
4- How do you want the schools, profs, city of dublin?
5- What are the expenses and how much?

I would appreciate any comments?

Thanks,
Reza

Members don't see this ad.

When did you get your offers for UCD and RCSI?

futuremed said:
When did you get your offers for UCD and RCSI?

I got a phone call from the Atlantic Bridge Program last week and they said I got accepted. They are going to send me the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
call or e-mail Peter, and ask for residency stats. for Irish graduates. When i interviewed, he told me that he can provide that information.

I never knew they gave you a phone call for RCSI. I guess that means that if you did not get a phone call that means you were rejected

Ratan1982 said:
I never knew they gave you a phone call for RCSI. I guess that means that if you did not get a phone call that means you were rejected
No it doesn't Ratan. My friend and I who applied (we are both Canadians) recieved a confirmation email stating that they would begin taking interviews in mid-March up until June.

However, i already interviewed. so i won't be in the second round of interviews

Hello Rico,

Did you have an interview with RCSI?
If so, when and where did they conduct it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hi rico, were you accepted into the 5 or 6 year program? do they send out acceptances for those at the same time?

cloverlead said:
hi rico, were you accepted into the 5 or 6 year program? do they send out acceptances for those at the same time?

Hey dude,

I got into 5 year program. I haven't recieved a letter yet..... But I know they sent me..

Best of luck

Hope it helps,
Rico

"Just think hard before you commit to a Caribbean school, things are not all that they seem when they sell their schools to you. It's a lot harder to make opportunity from there." What do you mean by this? Does this also apply to Vet School? I can't decide between UCD or SGU? What do you mean things are not at all what they seem......?

Jammer said:
Rico,

I'm graduating this year from RCSI and have applied for a residency in the US starting in July. I spent one year at medical school in the Caribbean and decided to start over here. It's been a much better educational experience here in Ireland and the cultural experience is better in Europe. My opportunities are better for residency having attended an Irish medical school rather than a Caribbean one. The bottom line is that your opportunities really depend on you, but there is much more of a negative stigma to overcome coming from a Caribbean medical school. Besides, a lot of Caribbean schools send students here and to England for clinical rotations because of a lack of rotations in the US for their students.

As for which school in Ireland, as long as you're in Dulbin (RCSI, Trinity, UCD), you'll be okay. Not that Cork or Galway are worse, just that you'll probably be more comfortable in Dublin because you'll have more to do on your free time and you can fly from the airport in Dublin. Don't listen to these posts that say RCSI is better than Trinity or UCD or vice versa, not true. No matter what, the curriculum is the same and you're still an Irish graduate when you leave here with the same education from any of the Irish schools; your residency opportunities will depend on how hard you work while you're here and how you perform on your electives in the US. As for finances, keep in mind that RCSI is about 8,000 Euros more per year than Trinity and UCD. We're probably more multicultural, that's the big difference. Don't let anyone tell you that we're better than the other schools because it's not true and should not influence your decision; probably your finances should play a bigger role.

Just think hard before you commit to a Caribbean school, things are not all that they seem when they sell their schools to you. It's a lot harder to make opportunity from there. There are things you don't know right now about preparing yourself for applying to residency and that you won't know for another 2 or 3 more years, but there very important and relevant to your decision of which foreign medical school to attend.

Send me a message, if you have any questions about your decision.