Europe Going to Medical School Overseas (Not Caribbean)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

soccer90876

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
[If this is the wrong thread, could a moderator help me move it to the correct one?]
Is there anyone here who had a profile that could have gone to an allopathic US MD program, but elected instead to go to medical school abroad (e.g. Europe, Asia) because they were sure they wanted to live there long-term?
 
[If this is the wrong thread, could a moderator help me move it to the correct one?]
Is there anyone here who had a profile that could have gone to an allopathic US MD program, but elected instead to go to medical school abroad (e.g. Europe, Asia) because they were sure they wanted to live there long-term?
Best track for that would still be 1) Get a US MD 2) Learn the language of the country 3) Do locums for a couple years 4) Establish domicile.

The US MD is the most widely accepted medical degree on the planet and can be used in most countries to allow for local living/locums if you meet the countries communication/professions regulations.
 
Best track for that would still be 1) Get a US MD 2) Learn the language of the country 3) Do locums for a couple years 4) Establish domicile.

The US MD is the most widely accepted medical degree on the planet and can be used in most countries to allow for local living/locums if you meet the countries communication/professions regulations.

This is not true for most developed countries. Essentially all EU countries, Australia, NZ and most of East Asia require that you meet their specific training requirements and in some cases require second residencies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I came across this thread and am curious to how the DO degree is looked at abroad. Does anyone have any insight to this?
 
I came across this thread and am curious to how the DO degree is looked at abroad. Does anyone have any insight to this?
Depends on the country. I know Canada is ok with DO degrees, but I don't think the EU or UK recognizes it the same way.
 
Depends on the country. I know Canada is ok with DO degrees, but I don't think the EU or UK recognizes it the same way.

From what I could find, most countries in Europe recognize it now. Seems like France, Finland, and Norway are the only ones that restrict DO practice, and I think I read that in Norway they can appeal for full practice rights.
 
Is a degree from the UK, and especially one of the top universities in the UK, widely recognized throughout the world? Is it it equally as or more useful than a US degree in that regard?
 
Does anyone know how difficult it is to be able to do locums in another country after doing USMD?