gpa after graduation???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please explain how the gpa is affected after graduation. What i mean is after one graduates and then continues to take undergraduate level classes at their university, will the grades received in those classes count as part of their undergraduate gpa or will it be a new separate post-bacc gpa?
I was told that if i continue taking classes as if im attempting to earn another undergraduate degree, then all of these credits will be calculated into my undergrad gpa. However, i was also told that if i graduate and then take classes as a post bacc student and not a continuing 2nd degree seeking student, then all of these credits will be counted as part of the post bacc program and will be separate from my undergrad gpa. Does anyone know what really happens?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, if youve already graduated, then they go under postbac gpa.

The major sections on AMCAS are:

Fresh
Soph
Junior
Senior
Postbac
Grad

All of these except Grad will go on your undergrad cumulative and undergrad bcpm GPAs. So postbac courses get their own section, but contribute to your undergrad cume/bcpm GPAs as well.

mdsquared said:
What i mean is after one graduates and then continues to take undergraduate level classes at their university, will the grades received in those classes count as part of their undergraduate gpa or will it be a new separate post-bacc gpa?
Both. All undergrad courses taken after your first degree contribute to your Postbaccalaureate GPA. But these grades also contribute to your total undergrad cumulative and total undergrad bcpm.
mdsquared said:
I was told that if i continue taking classes as if im attempting to earn another undergraduate degree, then all of these credits will be calculated into my undergrad gpa.
Correct. I'm pretty darn sure that this will all go under the postbac section as well...give me a sec and I'll get the link for the AMCAS grading.

Edit: Use this link and check out page 27 (continues on p. 28 too) http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2005instructionbook.pdf
mdsquared said:
However, i was also told that if i graduate and then take classes as a post bacc student and not a continuing 2nd degree seeking student, then all of these credits will be counted as part of the post bacc program and will be separate from my undergrad gpa.
Not exactly. Undergraduate courses taken as a non-degree student after graduating WILL be counted in the postbac section of AMCAS, but will also contribute to your total undergraduate cumulative and total undergraduate bcpm GPAs.

Edit: See the example on page 2 here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/conversionguide.pdf