Looking for DPM info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truckibear

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been spending some time looking into DPM programs and I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer about the field. From what I gather, DPMs love what they do and feel that it offers them the best possible lifestyle in the hectic world of medicine. I am especially interested in what opportunities there are for DPMs after graduation and any advice on what various programs have to offer (especially Scholl). Moreover, I am also interested in learning from DPMs or DPM students why they ultimately chose the route of podiatric medicine (especially if anyone had initially considered MD programs). Thanks :)

-Van

Members don't see this ad.

truckibear said:
... any advice on what various programs have to offer (especially Scholl).
-Van

I can give you any information you would like to know about Scholl or their program ...

I was an MD/DO applicant when I discovered podiatry and I chose podiatry because of its outlook. Click here for more info.

I also did not like the legal/insurance problems most MD/DO's are currently facing. I came from an area in southern Illinois near St. Louis that is notorious for medical malpractice litigation so it was a situation I was very aware of. Since I intended on one day practicing in that area I did not want to find myself in situation that could ruin my career.

truckibear said:
Hi there,

I've been spending some time looking into DPM programs and I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer about the field. From what I gather, DPMs love what they do and feel that it offers them the best possible lifestyle in the hectic world of medicine. I am especially interested in what opportunities there are for DPMs after graduation and any advice on what various programs have to offer (especially Scholl). Moreover, I am also interested in learning from DPMs or DPM students why they ultimately chose the route of podiatric medicine (especially if anyone had initially considered MD programs). Thanks :)

-Van

Try these links:

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/scpm/

http://www.ipmsa.org/

Also, you can go to APMA website or in one of the above sites and sign up for the mentor program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was originally set on MD school until I heard about podiatry.

The greatest benifit that I see to being in pod school is that when I get out I know what kind of doctor I will be. I can't comment on what it is like to practice podiatry because I am not there yet.

But, If I was in med school I would not know what I was going to be doing for the rest of my life until Match day. I could want to be a dermatologist but end up being an OBGYN due to not matching.

I'd rather be in a profession where as long as I work hard I know I'll get to do what I want. I could bust my butt in med school but there is still no garuntee.

krabmas said:

The greatest benifit that I see to being in pod school is that when I get out I know what kind of doctor I will be. I can't comment on what it is like to practice podiatry because I am not there yet.

But, If I was in med school I would not know what I was going to be doing for the rest of my life until Match day. I could want to be a dermatologist but end up being an OBGYN due to not matching.

I'd rather be in a profession where as long as I work hard I know I'll get to do what I want. I could bust my butt in med school but there is still no garuntee.

This is quite possibly one of the most interesting points I have ever seen made regarding med school vs. pod school!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

krabmas said:

Yeah... this is interesting but I don't follow the logic. The beauty of med school is that you get to explore so many options and find your niche in medicine. I mean, I guess if you really wanted to know what you want to do after med school, you could always pick something that isn't competitive to get into (FP, IM, peds, psych, ob/gyn, path, pmr, neuro, anes). But why would you go into med school with such a firm mindset when you can explore where it is that you really best fit in? And if you're at least decent there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get into the somewhat more competitive specialties like EM and surg. I mean, with your reasoning, if you were in med school you could have just as easily said I want to be a family physician and that would be a guarantee.

The flip side of going into podiatry is that you're pretty much stuck with it if you find out it's not quite for you. Well, in that case, I guess you could always go to med school like this one pod surgeon in my class.

Well, who am I to second-guess your choice. I wish you the best in your chosen profession.

I guess I should have been more specific....

I know I want to do sports medicine and orthopedics maybe some pediatrics.

The only limit I have out of pod school is that I have to stick to the lower extremity. Which is fine with me. There are a lot of bones in the foot to work with.

Not to knock orthopedists because I only went to 3 in my life. I went in complaining about a knee pain and none of them looked at my hip or feet to see if the problem could have been starting somewhere else. Many times knee pain originates do to poor biomechanics else where.

And if by some chance I decide that I would rather to dermatology, wound care, surgery..... I can do that too. I will never have the chance to be a heart surgeon or brain surgeon or do OB/GYN. But no one else coming out of med school gets to do everything either. At some point you have to make a choice or have it made for you depending on the situation. I chose to decide earlier rather than later.

I do know of someone who did not match and in a 30 second decision decided to take an OBGYN residency. This might be the rare case but it does happen.

I'm just defending my choice and I hope I didn't come off rude - not my intent. Debates are good fighting is bad.