In School Consolidation FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try and answer the commonly asked questions about the new ability to consolidate while in school. Things are a bit different if you are graduating from school (either medical school or undergrad) this year. You should check with your financial aid office for the full scoop or call one of your lenders.

Who is eligible to consolidate?
Anyone that has federal loans is eligible to consolidate. This includes Stafford and Perkins Loans.

What are the advantages of consolidating loans
1. You will get a fixed interest rate for the life of the loan. If you consolidate before July 1 that interest rate will be at the lowest rate in the history of student loans. Rates vary a bit depending on the lender and the types of federal loans you are consolidating, but you should be able to guarantee yourself a rate of no more than 3.5%.
2. You can stretch out your payments to 30 years. This will lower the monthly payment. If you want to pay back the loan in only 10 years (or only 1 year for that matter) you can always pay back early without penalty. There are other types of repayment plans but I am not going to discuss those here. It's sufficient to say that for the vast majority of medical/dental students, picking the 30-year option will be the most beneficial. The downside to the 30-year repayment plan is that your loan payment may be so low as to make you ineligible for hardship deferment.
3. You'll only have one payment to make each month when you pay back this loan. This is really a minor benefit.

Will I still be able to defer?
Yes. You will be able to defer while in school at least half-time (undergrad, graduate school, medical school). You can apply for a hardship deferment when you are not in school, for example while in residency. The hardship deferment is a maximum of 3 years and is based on your income (as listed on last year's taxes). This usually means that for the first two years you'll automatically be eligible since your income for the first year of residency is based on your income during your last year in medical school (for most people income will be $0). And your second year of deferment during residency will be based on only the first 6 months of residency (July to December) which should make you eligible. Basically what I am saying is that consolidating does not effect your deferment options at all.

What about my subsidized loans? Should I consolidate them?
Yes. During deferment (either in-school or hardship) the funds taken out under the subsidized program will remain subsidized, even after they are consolidated.

What is the story about the grace period?
You are really not losing out on much if you lose your grace period. You will lose the 6-month grace period if you consolidate. This grace period is meant for people who are graduating from school and looking for a job and who might want a few months before their first loan payment is due. If you are in medical school, you'll be going into residency shortly after graduation and therefore will be able to enter hardship deferment right away and won't need 6 months to look for a job. Nothing to worry about here. However, there are certain lenders that you can consolidate with (including the federal government) without losing your grace period.

What do I do with loans for next year and beyond? I heard I can only consolidate once.
You can consolidate more than once if you have loans to add to your current consolidation. Your consolidation interest rate is based on the weighted average of all your loans. So, if you want, you can consolidate your new loans with your consolidated loan. You'll have to sit down and figure out which you think will be most beneficial...rolling the new loans into the consolidation or not. You can always consolidate your new loans separately into a separate consolidated loan if you want.

I am only a first year medical student. Is it worth it for me to consolidate?
Yes. At the worst, only your first year loans will be locked it at the current low, low rate. If you don't consolidate, these loan rates will change and the likelihood is they will be higher. You can weigh your options on future loans later. But for now, consolidate your loan and lock in the low rate.

Who can I consolidate with?
Everyone is eligible to consolidate with the federal government (www.loanconsolidation.ed.gov). If you don't have Direct Loans and only have one lender for all your loans, then you must consolidate with them. If you have more than one lender or if any of your loans is a Direct Loan, you can consolidate with anyone (attached is a list of many lenders that are offering consolidation under the federal program).

Can I consolidate private loans?
No, not under the federal program. Some private lenders might do this under their own program. Each program is different so I won't talk about them here. This FAQ is about federal loans only (Stafford and Perkins).

How do I go about consolidating my loans?
First, all your loans must be in 'repayment' status. This does not mean you need to repay your loans. You just need to change the status. Contact your lenders and let them know you want to put your loans into 'repayment' status. If they refuse, tell them to read 34 CFR Section 682.209(a)(5) under the code of federal regulations. Then find a lender (each will have slightly different terms) and ask them to consolidate your loans. Once you are consolidated you will automatically go into in-school repayment.

Is there a deadline?
Yes. You should have your consolidation loan completed and processed before July 1, 2005...at many lenders there is quite a backlog so hurry up and complete the application. Some lenders might automatically lock in your rate as soon as your application is submitted so you don't have to worry about processing time...get this in writing if this is true.

Is there anything I need to look out for?
Yes. Some unscrupulous lenders might hold onto your application and accidentally not process it until July 2, 2005, at which time you'll be locked in at the newer higher rate. Other lenders offer awesome bonuses that lower your rate after a certain number of on-time payments...what they don't tell you is that applying for deferment counts as a late payment and so you never qualify for their bonus rate reduction if you defer (which you will more than likely do when you begin residency).

Hope this answers most of people's questions. Attached is a list of lender's contact information. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• LoanHolders.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,118
mpp said:
What is the story about the grace period?
You are really not losing out on much. You will lose the 6-month grace period if you consolidate.

Not true. It depends on the consolidation company. Direct Loans permits you to keep the entire grace period if you consolidate while in school.

GeneGoddess said:
Not true. It depends on the consolidation company. Direct Loans permits you to keep the entire grace period if you consolidate while in school.

Yup, just talked to a representative from graduate leverage and they advised me to consolidate with direct loans and transfer my loans over to another company (i.e. consolidate again) to get the borrower benefits back. Also, the rep told me that they are currently trying to work out the details so that students can consolidate loans from this fall's disbursement under the low interest rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question,

Now what happens if you don't recieve your loan money before July 1, 2005 (i.e. if you enter school this August). Can I still lock myself into the low interest rate with consolidation??

BTW: I chose THE as my lender

medready2005 said:
Question,

Now what happens if you don't recieve your loan money before July 1, 2005 (i.e. if you enter school this August). Can I still lock myself into the low interest rate with consolidation??

BTW: I chose THE as my lender

The graduateleverage rep told me they are trying to work out the details on that.

MadameLULU said:
The graduateleverage rep told me they are trying to work out the details on that.

According to Direct Loans, you may add additional loans on to your original consolidation up to 180 days after this consolidation without having to reconsolidate. Therefore, I believe you may add your Fall 2005 loans onto this pre-July 1st consolidation. Will these Fall 2005 loans be weighted with a pre-July 1st interest rate? I don't know yet. I have sent them an e-mail asking this and they have not written back yet.

kas23 said:
According to Direct Loans, you may add additional loans on to your original consolidation up to 180 days after this consolidation without having to reconsolidate. Therefore, I believe you may add your Fall 2005 loans onto this pre-July 1st consolidation. Will these Fall 2005 loans be weighted with a pre-July 1st interest rate? I don't know yet. I have sent them an e-mail asking this and they have not written back yet.

yup, that's what the rep was saying and he implied that it would be with the pre July 1st rate.

If that is the truth, then take out as much as possible within the next 6 months because you will never see a rate that low ever again while in school.

And don't forget to take out a very small amount during your Spring 2006 semester (even if you don't need it) so you can re-consolidate will another lender. Why? Because Direct Loans does not offer any consolidation benefits. Take out a little more loans, then re-consolidate with a lender who is willing to give benefits like the rate reductions with consecutive payments and electronic withdrawal.

The downfall to this is that this move will automatically bump your consolidated rate up at least 0.125% because these rates are always rounded up to the nearest 0.125%. So this will bump your rate up from 2.875% to 3%. However, I think this is a good trade-off for getting the rate reductions. Now only if DL offered the rate reductions....

I'm pretty sure that you can "reconsolidate" with another company even if all of your loans are with DL. It's a loophole and DL is the only company that allows this.

:clap: mpp, thanks for putting this up. :clap:

All you need to do is correct your answer in reference to grace period. With Federal loans, you can still retain your grace period.

After receiving two form letters that answered none of my original questions, I decided to call a DL representative today. She told me that if you take out loans after July 1st (i.e. Fall 2005 loans), they will be weighted with the POST-July 1st interest rate (even if they are added to the original consolidation within 180 days). I then asked her what the difference was between adding loans before the 180 days verses after. she told me that within the 180 day period, to add a loan, you just need to fill out one form (instead of totally reconsolidating after the 180 day period, which is then a total of 2 pages of forms. :eek: )

And the latest is that DL will give a rate-reduction of 0.25% for automatic withdrawal, but still no reduction for consecutive on-time payment. :(

kas23 said:
And the latest is that DL will give a rate-reduction of 0.25% for automatic withdrawal, but still no reduction for consecutive on-time payment. :(

The information I have is that they have a 1% rate reduction after 20 (or so) on-time payments.

Members don't see this ad :)
GeneGoddess said:
The information I have is that they have a 1% rate reduction after 20 (or so) on-time payments.

Where did you see that? I must have missed it somewhere. Post it please.

This is part of the letter I got from GL a few weeks ago. It has been posted elsewhere, I'm sure.

I. Consolidation Selection and Loan Terms:
If you decide to proceed with our recommendation, your consolidation will be completed through American Education Services (AES/PHEAA). AES is the non-profit state agency for Pennsylvania and manages more than $33 billion in total assets servicing nearly four million students. AES has been in business since 1964 and you can read more about their background at www.graduateleverage.com/aboutAES.html. All loans will be originated by US Bank and funded by GCO Education Loan Funding Corp.

We have negotiated terms on behalf of all graduate students in our reservation system. Collective bargaining has afforded us superior incentives and several terms in which no other lender was willing to offer. These terms include:

1% interest rate reduction after 20 timely payments and .25% reduction for electronic payments.
True Rate Reduction. Once your incentive is attained (reducing in-grace Stafford rates to 1.625%), your monthly payment will be reduced commensurately.
Guaranteed Grace Period. All eligible borrowers who sign their application before July 1st, 2005 will lock in the lowest rate and retain their full 6-month grace period.
Perkins Rate Reduction. All Perkins loans consolidated will be reduced to your prevailing Stafford rate. This will result in significant interest savings as Perkins loans are fixed at 5.0%.
Loan Sale Restriction Side Letter. The lender has agreed to forgo the option to sell loans consolidated through our service. We think this is particularly important to ensure accountability and loan terms.
Borrower Benefit Contract. The lender agreed to legally restrict its ability to change any rate incentive achieved. Given this, you will have legal recourse if your rate incentive were removed. You can view the agreement at the following link: http://www.graduateleverage.com/gcoletter.pdf.

GeneGoddess said:
This is part of the letter I got from GL a few weeks ago. It has been posted elsewhere, I'm sure.

I. Consolidation Selection and Loan Terms:
If you decide to proceed with our recommendation, your consolidation will be completed through American Education Services (AES/PHEAA). AES is the non-profit state agency for Pennsylvania and manages more than $33 billion in total assets servicing nearly four million students. AES has been in business since 1964 and you can read more about their background at www.graduateleverage.com/aboutAES.html. All loans will be originated by US Bank and funded by GCO Education Loan Funding Corp.

We have negotiated terms on behalf of all graduate students in our reservation system. Collective bargaining has afforded us superior incentives and several terms in which no other lender was willing to offer. These terms include:

1% interest rate reduction after 20 timely payments and .25% reduction for electronic payments.
True Rate Reduction. Once your incentive is attained (reducing in-grace Stafford rates to 1.625%), your monthly payment will be reduced commensurately.
Guaranteed Grace Period. All eligible borrowers who sign their application before July 1st, 2005 will lock in the lowest rate and retain their full 6-month grace period.
Perkins Rate Reduction. All Perkins loans consolidated will be reduced to your prevailing Stafford rate. This will result in significant interest savings as Perkins loans are fixed at 5.0%.
Loan Sale Restriction Side Letter. The lender has agreed to forgo the option to sell loans consolidated through our service. We think this is particularly important to ensure accountability and loan terms.
Borrower Benefit Contract. The lender agreed to legally restrict its ability to change any rate incentive achieved. Given this, you will have legal recourse if your rate incentive were removed. You can view the agreement at the following link: http://www.graduateleverage.com/gcoletter.pdf.

Oh, you just misread what I wrote. I said "DL" not "GL."

OOPS! My bad!

Duh... I are a doktur!

:)

GeneGoddess said:
OOPS! My bad!

Duh... I are a doktur!

:)

Not only that, you're a baby doktur!
:D

GeneGoddess said:

do they automatically do that or do you have to request that? i was going to consolidate thru direct loans, but don't want it to accidentally end up in repayment, so i guess, will they use they automatically use the graduation date that is on file with them?

if you have multiple lenders (i have undergrad loans with sallie mae and med school loans with accessgroup), does the lender you end up working with help you put your other loans into repayment or do you have to do that yourself?

What are some reasons why people do not want to consolidate? is it because you lose the grace period? Any other reasons why you wouldn't want to jump on this?

OK, these are probably silly questions, but I can't find the answers....

When you talk about "weighted average," how do you figure out what interest each of your loans has? It seems to me if you only have Stafford's, they would all be the same, no? Or if you have previously consolidated, those rates get factored in?

If you consolodate again later, do all your loans have the then current rates, or just the ones that are being consolidated for the first time and this affects the weighted average?

And if the interest rates go down, are you stuck with the higher rates? (I know they are at an historical low, but.....)

If I dont consolidate, any loans I took out last year (ie 2004) will be charged this years (most likely significantly higher) interest rate after July 1st, right?

abbaroodle said:
OK, these are probably silly questions, but I can't find the answers....

When you talk about "weighted average," how do you figure out what interest each of your loans has? It seems to me if you only have Stafford's, they would all be the same, no? Or if you have previously consolidated, those rates get factored in?

If you consolodate again later, do all your loans have the then current rates, or just the ones that are being consolidated for the first time and this affects the weighted average?

And if the interest rates go down, are you stuck with the higher rates? (I know they are at an historical low, but.....)

If I dont consolidate, any loans I took out last year (ie 2004) will be charged this years (most likely significantly higher) interest rate after July 1st, right?

If you only have staffords the interest rate varies yearly. From July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005 interest rate is at 2.77% the previous year it was at 2.82%. This year it's expected to go up to 4.625% (what our finanacial aid lady said today)

Consolidate later, the new loans have the new rates. Your consolidated loans will have the locked in rate, and won't increase unless in your reconsolidation you reconsolidate your consolidated loans.

If the interest rates go down (which they won't), you are stuck at whatever rate you consolidated at...unless you reconsolidate and include the "old" consolidated loans.

If you don't consolidate now, your interest rate on this year loans will increase, thus the reason to consolidate now.

mpp will clean up any mess of an answer...

If we have Perkins loans, should we include those in our consolidation. Risk/Benefits??

Ok, here is my question:

I have undergraduate loans with only one lender (Sallie Mae) so I fall into this silly "single lender rule." I have already consolidated these undergrad loans so I am locked into the lower pre-July 1st interest rate.

Now, I am entering med school this August and my question is whether there is any way I can consolidate my med school loans before the post-July 1st interest hike?

I contacted Sallie Mae with this question and they were useless mainly because I couldn't understand the representative with his thick accent (outsourcing at its finest, I know).
Someone please help!!! Thanks a lot............

medready2005 said:
Ok, here is my question:

I have undergraduate loans with only one lender (Sallie Mae) so I fall into this silly "single lender rule." I have already consolidated these undergrad loans so I am locked into the lower pre-July 1st interest rate.

Now, I am entering med school this August and my question is whether there is any way I can consolidate my med school loans before the post-July 1st interest hike?

I contacted Sallie Mae with this question and they were useless mainly because I couldn't understand the representative with his thick accent (outsourcing at its finest, I know).
Someone please help!!! Thanks a lot............

The answer is sort of, depending on your situation. I am assuming you do not yet have any loans for med school, but will come August.

If you just consolidated, you have 180 days to add other\new loans, if I understand correctly. That means after your year starts and you receive your loan disbursement, you will be able to add that to your consolidation, if it is less than 180 days from the date you consolidated.

However, that new loan will have the new (higher) interest rate, so your consolidation would have the weighted average of your undergrad (low, pre July-1st) interest rate, and the higher August rate.

critterbug said:
If we have Perkins loans, should we include those in our consolidation. Risk/Benefits??

We were told NOT to consolidate our Perkins loans for two reasons:

1. While in school perkins loans do not generate any interest. However, if added to the consolidation then you pay interest on these as well.

2. Perkins are at 5% (no matter what). Adding this to your consolidation will increase your interest.

John Deere Gree said:
2. Perkins are at 5% (no matter what). Adding this to your consolidation will increase your interest.

It's a weighted interest, so your interest will probably rise to 3.0%. Also, Graduate Leverage states that they will include your Perkins loans in the consolidation package at the same interest rate as the Stafford loans, not the traditional 5% rate.

ItsGavinC said:
It's a weighted interest, so your interest will probably rise to 3.0%. Also, Graduate Leverage states that they will include your Perkins loans in the consolidation package at the same interest rate as the Stafford loans, not the traditional 5% rate.

I can't figure out what T.H.E. is trying to do with my application. I have 2 grand from undergrad Perkin's, 11 grand from undergrad subsidized deferred direct loans, and now about 26 grand from all of med school through early 4th year. I am not taking out any more loans in 4th year, and thus I figured I would consolidate all these into one payment and start paying it at graduation. The loan is in process right now but it states when I log into my account on T.H.E. that the loan I have applied for will have an interest rate of 4.25%. My direct loan of 11K was 8% back from the late 90's but no interest has accumulated since I have been in school and deferred. Does that rate not fluctuate with today's low rates? And my 2K Perkin's was 5%. Why if they are going to pay off the 11K loan would they charge me a higher interest? Should I simply consolidate the 26K I have from T.H.E. already into one loan by itself or accept this crappy 4.25% overall? Does this even sound right?

Pretty irresponsibly, I have no idea what the loans I've taken out all amount to. Some have been undergrad Direct Loans, and some have been Sallie Mae medical school loans. Is there a one-stop web site or anything I could look at to identify my totals?? I take it I need to call both Sallie Mae and Direct Loans, and tell both to put me into repayment status, correct??

Thanks in advance for the help.

roady said:
Pretty irresponsibly, I have no idea what the loans I've taken out all amount to. Some have been undergrad Direct Loans, and some have been Sallie Mae medical school loans. Is there a one-top web site or anything I could look at to identify my totals?? I take it I need to call both Sallie Mae and Direct Loans, and tell both to put me into repayment status, correct??

yeah...check your FAFSA online and it will have your totals.

Alright, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to loans and consolidation and all this crap. I have no idea what is going on. But the Dean e-mailed everybody and told us we should consolidate, so I guess I'm going to consolidate. Reading this thread and visiting the Direct Loans site, I basically understand what I need to do, but I'm still pretty confused about two aspects: First, people are saying you need to be in "repayment" status before you can do this, but the Direct Loans site doesn't mention anything about this. I've combed the site over and over, and nowhere do they talk about this. So if I fill out their on-line forms, do they automatically handle that? And what do I need to do after the consolidation occurs? Do I need to request that the loans go into deferment, or will Direct Loans do this automatically? There is all this talk about being in "repayment" states and grace periods and deferments and I'm ******ed about all of this stuff, so could somebody please talk down to me like the man-child I am and say "you need to then do this after you submit your consolidation forms." Thanks folks.

sacrament said:
Alright, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to loans and consolidation and all this crap. I have no idea what is going on. But the Dean e-mailed everybody and told us we should consolidate, so I guess I'm going to consolidate. Reading this thread and visiting the Direct Loans site, I basically understand what I need to do, but I'm still pretty confused about two aspects: First, people are saying you need to be in "repayment" status before you can do this, but the Direct Loans site doesn't mention anything about this. I've combed the site over and over, and nowhere do they talk about this. So if I fill out their on-line forms, do they automatically handle that? And what do I need to do after the consolidation occurs? Do I need to request that the loans go into deferment, or will Direct Loans do this automatically? There is all this talk about being in "repayment" states and grace periods and deferments and I'm ******ed about all of this stuff, so could somebody please talk down to me like the man-child I am and say "you need to then do this after you submit your consolidation forms." Thanks folks.
what he said. :confused:

Caverject said:
yeah...check your FAFSA online and it will have your totals.

What's the web address to check this?
If it's 'www.fafsa.ed.gov' where do go to find your loan totals?

This where I found my info: www.nslds.ed.gov. Click on "financial aid review"

ItsGavinC said:

So should we include the Perkins in our consolidation?

sacrament said:
Once the consolidation is approved, the most you should need to fill out is any paperwork to verify that you're in deferment while you're in school, and even that might be handled automatically depending on your lender. If you do need to handle it yourself, you should receive documentation telling you that your loans will be going into repayment status & what you need to do to demonstrate that you qualify for deferment.

Hi, I'm another terribly confused college student when it comes to financial aid. I recently filled out a consolidation loan application and submitted it (at the request of my mom). I know that I have some loans out under my name (Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized?) and some loans out under my mother' name (PLUS loans).

Now, this application that I have right here has my mom as the borrower's name, but there is a part that says "Repayment Plan Selection" (Section E). This is where I put down what my repayment plan for both student and parent loans.

So my major question is, do I need to consolidate seperately from my mom, or has this all been taken care of in this one application?

Also, I'm not exactly sure if my loans are in repayment (it says that the cosolidation form was approved?) And if/when they are in repayment...does that mean that I have to start paying back the loan right away?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. Like most undergrads, I'm terrible at keeping track of this sort of stuff. :scared:

MadameLULU said:
Also, the rep told me that they are currently trying to work out the details so that students can consolidate loans from this fall's disbursement under the low interest rate.

Does anyone know if this has been worked out? I really hope that I can get next years loans consolidated in with this low interest rate.

Sefira said:
So my major question is, do I need to consolidate seperately from my mom, or has this all been taken care of in this one application?

Also, I'm not exactly sure if my loans are in repayment (it says that the cosolidation form was approved?) And if/when they are in repayment...does that mean that I have to start paying back the loan right away?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. Like most undergrads, I'm terrible at keeping track of this sort of stuff. :scared:

I THINK from what I've read you have to do the PLUS (parents) loans separately and you can't combine them with your own loan. Double check on that though.

I think you have to make your loans be in "repayment status" so that you can do the consolidation. Then, since you are still in school you are allowed to defer so that you don't have to actually make payments. Just make sure that the lender knows this or else they will be expecting payments.

Hi all, I was hoping if you guys can help me decide what's best. I already have an $18,000 FFEL consolidated loan through AES. They were all subsidized from undergrad locked in at the 2.875% rate.

Currently as an MSI I have loans 23K unsub 8.5K sub with WellsFargo.

I guess my question is there any real benefit from consolidating everything together and taking a weighted average (4.125%) or I should consolidate my current loans but keep them separate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Student Loans Consolidation--A Blessing or a Curse?

Well they can actually be both, can't they? On one hand, many of us need them in order to pursue higher education...and we couldn't get there without them.

But on the other hand, they can really become an albatross and create much stress, worry, etc.

I've spent a great deal of time studying the pros and cons of student loans and have come across some interesting sources and facts about trying to consolidate my various student loans.

Whether you should or should not consolidate your loans is of course an
individual choice and decision. However, with so much mis-information on the subject out there, BE CAREFUL and do your due dillegence.

I wrote a report about it if your interested, see below.

Warmly,
Mark

hooniedee said:
Hi all, I was hoping if you guys can help me decide what's best. I already have an $18,000 FFEL consolidated loan through AES. They were all subsidized from undergrad locked in at the 2.875% rate.

I guess my question is there any real benefit from consolidating everything together and taking a weighted average (4.125%) or I should consolidate my current loans but keep them separate?

I'm also interested in knowing what is best here... I have a similar situation. Anyone have any insight?

HunterGatherer said:
Yes I'm a consolidation no0B. Are interest rates expected to go up any time soon?

Yes, they are going up this summer.

hooniedee said:

Consolidate the new loans seperately. This will save you the most money in the long run.

I just completed this process.

hooniedee said:

Northstar.org has a calculator where you can plug in your loan amounts and determine what your payments would be having them as separate loan payments and consolidating them together.

off2skl said:
Northstar.org has a calculator where you can plug in your loan amounts and determine what your payments would be having them as separate loan payments and consolidating them together.

for me it looks like i save a little by leaving them as separate consolidated loans.

theLoanster.com

they are through AES?

roady said:
Pretty irresponsibly, I have no idea what the loans I've taken out all amount to. Some have been undergrad Direct Loans, and some have been Sallie Mae medical school loans. Is there a one-stop web site or anything I could look at to identify my totals?? I take it I need to call both Sallie Mae and Direct Loans, and tell both to put me into repayment status, correct??

I had the same issue with my loans...after so many years, not sure how many I actually had - and what lenders... I did call a rep from this nonprofit lender - www.studentlendingworks.org - they were able to pull up my loan info if I gave them my SSN. They also told me that I was able to pull my own loan info at this govt website: https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/SaFinPricacyAccept.do ...you just need to have your PIN and SSN to pull your info.

...and yes, it may be worthwhile to consolidate before July 1st. The Student Lending Works rep told me that current loan rates are increasing...guess it all depends on what rates you have now, and balance.