Osu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts about the program? Tried to find some opinions on this forum, but got really tired of looking. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think OSU is a great program. They just opened a new heart hospital that is premo! Dr. Taner (I think that's her name) the PD was very nice. Dr. Bowwie (or something like that) the chair, is a man that has more personality that one knows what to do with. During my interview with him, I just listened while he reminissed upon his own days of med school at Tinity college in Ireland. As far as the program goes... I think it's very solid. If I remember right, they dry clean your clothes for you on a weekly basis. Residents were real nice and laid back. :thumbup: Columbus is also very nice. I ranked it #4, but could have easily been #2 or #3.
Best of luck.

sevoflurane said:
I think OSU is a great program. They just opened a new heart hospital that is premo! Dr. Taner (I think that's her name) the PD was very nice. Dr. Bowwie (or something like that) the chair, is a man that has more personality that one knows what to do with. During my interview with him, I just listened while he reminissed upon his own days of med school at Tinity college in Ireland. As far as the program goes... I think it's very solid. If I remember right, they dry clean your clothes for you on a weekly basis. Residents were real nice and laid back. :thumbup: Columbus is also very nice. I ranked it #4, but could have easily been #2 or #3.
Best of luck.

Obviously I agree with the post above. I will try not to be too biased in this review. Dr. Turner is the head of resident education and she is awesome she seems to really cares about how her residents progress. The program director is Dr. Howie and he is truly one of a kind. He is full of energy and very well respected amongst the anesthesia community. The residents I met with seemed really happy and all said they would come to OSU again. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of cases with a good variety as well and there didn't seem to be any problem with residents getting fellowships if they desired. The hospital itself was incredible, especially the new heart hospital, with it being listed as one of the most wired hospitals in the country. ORs are nice, but so are most that I saw. One drawback is that OSU only offers the three year track as of now so if you want to do all four years there you have to apply for the prelim year seperately. Another that I have heard is that you work hard, although you also end up well trained so this would only be a drawback if you are looking for a "cush" program. As for columbus, I haven't spent a lot of time there yet, but there seems to be a lot to do there with a little of something for everyone and the housing costs are reasonable. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to agree with buckeye's post, especially when it comes to the chair and PD. Great program. I liked OSU enough that I did a second look. New heart hospitals OR's are amazing. Main OR's are a little dated and small, but renovations and updates are currently on-going.

As for columbus, I lived there for a number of years... truely a great city! I would actually like to move back there after residency. Plenty to do, great restaurants, awesome bars, good music scene, cheap housing, minimal traffic(save 315 during rush hour), and OSU football.

Thanks to all for your input! Does anyone know about the call schedule...just curious!

Hey Buckeye, are you going to the 2 parties scheduled for mid june? I'm pretty sure I'll be going.

As to the original question, I wrote this review after interviewing there. Not sure if you looked at it:

Ohio State- Well rounded rock solid clinical program. Pain and regional pretty good. Good TEE exposure. Nice U/S guided nerve block experience. They don't have a Simulator lab. Weakness...no research and subpar to average teaching/didactics were the only comments from a few residents and 1 attending (you interview with 7 attendings for 30-40 minutes each!!!!!). VERY long day. Easily the longest and most tiring interview to date. They do pay for your hotel and take you out to a really nice dinner. The new Ross CV building is the most awesome facility I've seen (600-1100 sq feet per OR). Although the residents appear to work their butts off they all seemed very happy. Most of them were married and grew up around the area and more than willing to sacrafice the extra hours and call days to be back home. VERY nice place to raise a family, but also a nice atmosphere for singles. Traffic situation top notch for the city size. I bought a house 20 miles away and drove back and forth a few times during rush hour and it never took more than 20-30 minutes.....would be 1-1.5 hours for the same distance in Chicago/New York/ Boston. This increases your home search distance and housing options are AMAZING. RRC had a few items of concern on the previous visit, which subsequently resulted in them taking away 2 residency spots (from 12 to 10). This resulted in increased resident workload and call hours. All attendings said the most recent RRC review was positive.

Columbus is an awesome city and I'm very excited about starting in a few weeks!

I heard they actually were approved for two more spots for each year.

moha said:
I heard they actually were approved for two more spots for each year.

I'm not sure. This is what one of the attendings told me when I asked about previous RRC visits. The attendings said the most recentl visit was perfect and there are no problems.

Swaydaa said:
Hey Buckeye, are you going to the 2 parties scheduled for mid june? I'm pretty sure I'll be going.

Yeah, I think I will probably go.

Excellent program - My number one choice for many good reasons. First and foremost this is a great academic program. (No, lectures aren't going to spoon-feed you. You are out of medical school....)
Huge and widley-varied case load.
Transplants....
Fellowship placement....
Excellent attendings, many with national recognition. (Dr Howie, Dr Gerhardt, Dr Gravlee - ABA board, etc...)
Columbus....

A must see program if you are looking in the midwest

Look forward to meeting my fellow classmates....

----------------------------------
PGY-1 (Transitional year) The Western Pennsylvania Hospital - Pittsburgh, PA
PGY-2-4 Ohio State University - Anesthesiology

OSU vs. MCW...any thoughts? How do the hours compare?

OSU>>>>>>>>>MCW. Hands down. Hours at MCW are long and hard. Dr. Champaigne (big name in anesthesia) recently stepped down, so the program is going through some changes... maybe they'll start getting some CRNA's to finally help out! Not so strong in hearts-PD openly stated this. When I asked about regional to one of the residents, she just kinda chuckled as if to say "what regional". Autonomy was hit or miss according to a couple residents (ie.general vs. TIVA). Hospital is large and real nice. Milwaukee isn't all that bad, just a little nippy at times. MCW = lots of NIH funding, which some who are interested in research would like. I believe their Peds department was recently rated 4th in the country (I don't remember by who). Super busy service. One of the coolest interviews I had was with a Peds attending... most of the time we spent talking about Les Paul guitars. If you go there, make sure you check out St. Luke's for a transitional spot. Probably one of the most "cush", if not THE most cush transitional program I went to (although I think you probably don't get what you need out of your intern year, but hey.... some people are into that). All in all, I felt that OSU was a lot better place to train than MCW. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... MCW has an enourmous amount of spots... don't remember how many, but a lot (hanging up there with miami).

I just did a rotation and was very impressed. They actually are now approved for 13 spots, as of last month. The residents were all cool, the attendings as well, I will definitely rank them high. :thumbup:

Thanks from me as well. I think that OSU sounds like a great choice for all of my education & such.

13 spots? I thought they had closer to 20 last year. Maybe they aren't taking as many this year or maybe my neurons aren't firing correctly. Who is the new Chair?

I think OSU has 13 spots, MCW has around 20....OSU just had 2 more spots open per year. Just thought I'd clear the confusion a little. Thanks for all the replies!