Wayne (Detroit, MI) or OSU (Columbus, OH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marusya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cannot choose between Ohio State Univ. in Columbus and Wayne State, Detroit. They are both in the middle of my ROL, but it might be important if I don't get my first choices.
I got pretty good idea what Wayne is like but OSU is kind of shady to me. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Location. Don't say it doesn't matter. Columbus is a pretty cool place. Detroit is coming around with the Super Bowl there next year, but there still isn't much there at all. I say OSU hands down.

Marusya said:
Cannot choose between Ohio State Univ. in Columbus and Wayne State, Detroit. They are both in the middle of my ROL, but it might be important if I don't get my first choices.
I got pretty good idea what Wayne is like but OSU is kind of shady to me. Any ideas?

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input very much! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Detroit is a big city with 5 million people including the suburbs. Columbus is a medium sized city with 1.6 million people.

Detroit has a higher cost of living, is harder to get around, and it doesn't really have too many of the advantages that you might expect a big city would have.

My family lives in Toledo, which is not far from Detroit, so I am familiar with the city. There is suprisingly little to do in the city and suburbs. We get visitors from out of town who want to see the Motor City, and we're often not sure where to take them.

Columbus is a really good city for young people. There's a lot to do in Columbus. And the weather is significantly better during the winter than Detroit.

Llenroc said:
Detroit has a higher cost of living, is harder to get around, and it doesn't really have too many of the advantages that you might expect a big city would have.

My family lives in Toledo, which is not far from Detroit, so I am familiar with the city. There is suprisingly little to do in the city and suburbs. We get visitors from out of town who want to see the Motor City, and we're often not sure where to take them.

Columbus is a really good city for young people. There's a lot to do in Columbus. And the weather is significantly better during the winter than Detroit.

There actually is a ton of stuff to do in Detroit and the surrounding suburbs. However, you need to know where to go since everything is kind of spread out. Royal Oak, Birmingham, Ann Arbor, and pockets of Detroit have centralized areas of restaurants/bars that are pretty lively. And Detroit has a lot of clubs that bring in world-class DJs to spin as well as a pretty good live-music scene. I would agree, however, that the night life isn't as lively as some other cities (or most cities, for that matter) :laugh: