AMCAS help (again)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wendywellesley

speller extrodinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AHHHAAHAHA!!! i'm kind of freaking out here.

my app was processed yesturday (submited 6/1).

so they have my grades up and instead of putting my post-bacc grades in the post bacc line, they have it under "graduate". i never took one graduate class as a post-bacc, but since I was a student there after getting my BA, the university default is putting me as a gradute non-matriculated student even when i'm taking all undergrad classes. I don't know what to do because I did two years of science classes in order to increase my undergrad GPA and now it isn't touched by all the work i did!! instead it looks like i just took graduate classes. but i didn't!! of course my undergrad GPA is for **** but the "graduate" gpa is very close to a 4.0. I know I have to call AMCAS but is it better to leave it as graduate work? maybe I have no choice.
🙁 :scared:

any advice would be nice.
thanks!
 
I was under the impression postbac work is always considered undergrad, so unless there is something specific to your situation, I would say it is a mistake that AMCAS would be willing to fix. I did a postbac year after getting a BA (which I think is where most postbac students are) and it factored into my undergrad GPA.

I would also advise that you do try to get it fixed, because I do think all the work you put in should reflect in the undergrad GPA.

Good luck...keep us posted...and if anyone else has more information, please add!



wendywellesley said:
AHHHAAHAHA!!! i'm kind of freaking out here.

my app was processed yesturday (submited 6/1).

so they have my grades up and instead of putting my post-bacc grades in the post bacc line, they have it under "graduate". i never took one graduate class as a post-bacc, but since I was a student there after getting my BA, the university default is putting me as a gradute non-matriculated student even when i'm taking all undergrad classes. I don't know what to do because I did two years of science classes in order to increase my undergrad GPA and now it isn't touched by all the work i did!! instead it looks like i just took graduate classes. but i didn't!! of course my undergrad GPA is for **** but the "graduate" gpa is very close to a 4.0. I know I have to call AMCAS but is it better to leave it as graduate work? maybe I have no choice.
🙁 :scared:

any advice would be nice.
thanks!
 
wendywellesley said:
AHHHAAHAHA!!! i'm kind of freaking out here.

my app was processed yesturday (submited 6/1).

so they have my grades up and instead of putting my post-bacc grades in the post bacc line, they have it under "graduate". i never took one graduate class as a post-bacc, but since I was a student there after getting my BA, the university default is putting me as a gradute non-matriculated student even when i'm taking all undergrad classes. I don't know what to do because I did two years of science classes in order to increase my undergrad GPA and now it isn't touched by all the work i did!! instead it looks like i just took graduate classes. but i didn't!! of course my undergrad GPA is for **** but the "graduate" gpa is very close to a 4.0. I know I have to call AMCAS but is it better to leave it as graduate work? maybe I have no choice.
🙁 :scared:

any advice would be nice.
thanks!

You need to get it fixed -- you must've misentered it somehow. There is a separate section for postbac distinct from graduate. The postbac stuff gets averaged into the undergrad cum, so you need that changed - having it listed as graduate, but no graduate degree and a low undergrad cum puts you in a bad place. Call them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks guys! I just got off the phone with them (they are really helpful!) and the guy suggested I put in an academic change request, which I just did. He said they will change it because if you look at the names of the courses they are clearly undergraduate. he said it will take 2-3 weeks to be changed but that med schools don't see the AMCAS until mid-july. I thought they see them as we submit them, isn't that the point of submitting as early as possible?

anyway, I did put those classes as post-bacc and AMCAS changed them! I think it was because on my transcript it said I was a "graduate student".
 
wendywellesley said:
thanks guys! I just got off the phone with them (they are really helpful!) and the guy suggested I put in an academic change request, which I just did. He said they will change it because if you look at the names of the courses they are clearly undergraduate. he said it will take 2-3 weeks to be changed but that med schools don't see the AMCAS until mid-july. I thought they see them as we submit them, isn't that the point of submitting as early as possible?

anyway, I did put those classes as post-bacc and AMCAS changed them! I think it was because on my transcript it said I was a "graduate student".

I was actually wondering the same thing. I have the AMCAS all filled out, transcript mailed to AMCAS, and all LORs and stuff in order, and am planning to send my application a day or so after I get my April scores (like June 18th or so), God willing I did as well as I project. Is mid-July the earliest the schools get the application? In other words, the OP sent it on June 1st, they processed by today (amazingly fast...!), but is the application sent out as soon as it is processed or, as the above person said, held until mid-July? Or do schools just start reviewing the first batch in mid-July?

I'm just wondering because I don't want holding my app until I get my scores next week to hurt me (if the schools don't start reviewing until mid-July it apparantly won't...). Just curious.

Thanks.
Ryan.
 
wendywellesley said:
thanks guys! I just got off the phone with them (they are really helpful!) and the guy suggested I put in an academic change request, which I just did. He said they will change it because if you look at the names of the courses they are clearly undergraduate. he said it will take 2-3 weeks to be changed but that med schools don't see the AMCAS until mid-july. I thought they see them as we submit them, isn't that the point of submitting as early as possible?

anyway, I did put those classes as post-bacc and AMCAS changed them! I think it was because on my transcript it said I was a "graduate student".

they don't see them until mid-july... submitting them on the 1st versus a week or two later doesn't do too much..

BUT while they don't see them until mid-july.. they do look at them in the order of their processed by date.. so therefore.. june 1st people get looked at first.. but in that batch.. it's quite likely that even early july people will be looked at.. and so in essence.. it doesn't matter much
 
I was directed to this thread b/c I just found out I had a similiar problem. I did an academic change request on my form and they said it'll take a couple of weeks to change it. Of course, this late into the process, I'm sure some schools will already have seen my GPA.....argh 😡

What was the result for the OP? Did AAMCAS change your grades?