NYU = worst dental school in the world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalstudent72

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is truly the worst dental school in the country, speaking from experience. If you have a choice, don't go there. If you have less than 2.8 GPA, go ahead and apply because this school will accept any monkey. But you'll constantly have to worry about getting kicked out of this school since they do eliminate an estimated 3rd of the students, the first two years. After that, they just make you repeat years (to get tuition off of you).

If you have questions about the school, I'll be happy to help. But you won't hear many good things about the school though.

Members don't see this ad.

dentalstudent72 said:
...speaking from experience....... this school will accept any monkey....
Ha! :laugh: You're a monkey.
Funny how you just barely joined SDN and this was your very 1st post ever. Wecome back, our beloved troll of many names, and self-appointed best friend.
Now go do something worth-while

*go fetches her billy goat*

Members don't see this ad :)
The kiddo just joined TODAY!! prolly he is pissed at NYU b/c he either didnt get in or is kicked out b/c he failed 3+ classes!!

You're allowed to fail 3 classes before they give you the boot. Seriously, failing classes actually requires a lot of effort. In fact I think unless you want to fail, getting < C- is harder than getting an A. Plus, with 3 warnings... how do you not slap some sense into yourself after the first 2?

are you that dude that's been kicked out for doing crack after class on the parking lot?! ;)

Thanks for the funny post anyways :thumbup:

I wonder if all of this Halla Balloo is coming from a second party or u actually had a bad experience. If this is your experience then please give a better explanation.

dentalstudent72 said:
This is truly the worst dental school in the country, speaking from experience. If you have a choice, don't go there. If you have less than 2.8 GPA, go ahead and apply because this school will accept any monkey. But you'll constantly have to worry about getting kicked out of this school since they do eliminate an estimated 3rd of the students, the first two years. After that, they just make you repeat years (to get tuition off of you).

If you have questions about the school, I'll be happy to help. But you won't hear many good things about the school though.

2pac said:
I wonder if all of this Halla Balloo is coming from a second party or u actually had a bad experience. If this is your experience then please give a better explanation.

Dr. Curro (NYU Pharmacology professor): He is in charge of the pharmacology program in NYU as of this year since Dr. Warder (an excellent lecturer) is retiring. Curro teaches the wrong information in class and if you answer the questions based on his teaching, deducts points. When he was confronted by students, there was no response.

Dr. Lipp (in charge of the pre-doctoral ortho program): He lost several scantrons after an exam. Luckily some of the students circled their answer choices on the exam sheets that were handed in along with the scantrons. He concluded that if anyone received a passing score based on the exam sheets, he would give a score of “70” regardless of what we’ve actually received. So even those of us who got “90s” would end up with a “C” in class unless we take the optional retake, which is in essay form (an impossible test).

These are just examples. I'll include more when I have time.

dentalstudent72 said:
Curro teaches the wrong information in class and if you answer the questions based on his teaching, deducts points. When he was confronted by students, there was no response.
This sounds exactly like half the classes I've had since high school.

Seems to me that your reasons for calling NYU the worst dental school are pretty trivial. Please elaborate (& provide proof maybe) of the school eliminating a third of its students. I find that extremely hard to believe, but if it were true, it might be something to consider.

~ST

dentalstudent72 said:
Dr. Curro (NYU Pharmacology professor): He is in charge of the pharmacology program in NYU as of this year since Dr. Warder (an excellent lecturer) is retiring. Curro teaches the wrong information in class and if you answer the questions based on his teaching, deducts points. When he was confronted by students, there was no response.

Dr. Lipp (in charge of the pre-doctoral ortho program): He lost several scantrons after an exam. Luckily some of the students circled their answer choices on the exam sheets that were handed in along with the scantrons. He concluded that if anyone received a passing score based on the exam sheets, he would give a score of “70” regardless of what we’ve actually received. So even those of us who got “90s” would end up with a “C” in class unless we take the optional retake, which is in essay form (an impossible test).

Yah, it sucks that Dr. Lipp lost those scantrons, but c'mon, "impossible test"? The guy gave the questions out for the makeup essay exam before hand....

I would rather take a test in essay format, espeically if you already had the questions beforehand. Consider yourself lucky. Seriously, just because a professor lost some exams doesn't make the whole school unworthy. **** happens, you deal with it, and move on. So MOVE ON.

dentalstudent72 said:

These are not reasons why NYU is the "worst dental school in the world." These reasons only prove that NYU is just like every other dental school, med school, UG school, High School, etc etc in the world.
Furthermore, these posts and slander about NYU being so difficult that they kick people out, yet so easy to get into with a 2.8, only prove that all of YOU people bashing it (i.e. the people who got in with a 2.8 and now complain because you cannot handle the workload of a normal student) should not have been accepted in the first place since you obviously do not understand nor appreciate the hard work and determination that being in dental school entails.
In conclusion, PLEASE STOP BASHING YOUR OWN SCHOOL.

ajrooney said:
These are not reasons why NYU is the "worst dental school in the world." These reasons only prove that NYU is just like every other dental school, med school, UG school, High School, etc etc in the world.
Furthermore, these posts and slander about NYU being so difficult that they kick people out, yet so easy to get into with a 2.8, only prove that all of YOU people bashing it (i.e. the people who got in with a 2.8 and now complain because you cannot handle the workload of a normal student) should not have been accepted in the first place since you obviously do not understand nor appreciate the hard work and determination that being in dental school entails.
In conclusion, PLEASE STOP BASHING YOUR OWN SCHOOL.

EXACTLY.... if you got a 2.8GPA, and still aren't doing well now, then you shouldn't have gone to dschool anyway. U should THANK NYU for giving you an opportunity to freaken change your ways and become something. Dnt bash your school based on your incompetence. Truth is, if you can't make it through NYU d school, you probably wouldn't make it at any other dental school. One day you will learn that you're responsible for your own downfalls.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is some major owning going on here .. :rolleyes:

Yea I really hate when people complain once they're IN dental school. You got in, so dont complain about it. Take advantage of your opportunity that thousands a year dont get. If you cant handle it, bend over and take your boot to the ass and find another career path. I on the other hand, am working hard to get into dental school, and you wont hear me complaining once I get in wherever that is.

IcemanDDS said:
Yea I really hate when people complain once they're IN dental school. You got in, so dont complain about it. Take advantage of your opportunity that thousands a year dont get. If you cant handle it, bend over and take your boot to the ass and find another career path. I on the other hand, am working hard to get into dental school, and you wont hear me complaining once I get in wherever that is.
Amen.

By the way Iceman, good luck on your upcoming DAT. :thumbup:

IcemanDDS said:
Well said. :thumbup:

I have done a fair amount of reseach into the schools I applied to.

And NYU had the worst reputation, by far.

I think that alone speaks for itself to a certain degree.

I thought SuperTrooper and Dental Student72 were the same person. That same guy who went by verticle bite a while ago and then dental poopie for a while and then Ianwright for a while and he had 10 other names I can't remember.

Anyway, yeah, I've also heard negative things about NYU, but the worst dental school in the world is probably not American.

Pikeyman said:
I have done a fair amount of reseach into the schools I applied to.

And NYU had the worst reputation, by far.

I think that alone speaks for itself to a certain degree.

I'd rather not welter with this issue, but I was just curious to find out what sources you used for your "research".

my dentist graduated from nyu. and she did the best cavity..

ISU_Steve said:
By the way Iceman, good luck on your upcoming DAT. :thumbup:
Thanks steve. I may or may not be postponing the DAT by a couple weeks. Gonna see how I do on the remainder of the practice tests. May need a little more time to review certain concepts.

IcemanDDS said:

Sorry to disagree with you, but the amount of money I am paying for dental school gives me the right to complain as loud as I want to. My right as a consumer and a student isn't affected by all those people who apply and don't get in and try to excercise some moral high ground. Dental schools are not immune to criticism and probably could use some feedback (negative and positive) to improve themselves. Luckily, I picked a great dental school, so not much to complain about here. :)

Yes, the school is tough because it has standards and donot forget it is one of the top dental schools when talking about clinical education. Please donot compare this school with "Elimidate". I believe if u bust your behind you will do well.

my 2 cents-

no offense, but how would you know it is a hard school and one of the top clinical schools when you have not even started yet...just a thought

QUOTE=2pac]Yes, the school is tough because it has standards and donot forget it is one of the top dental schools when talking about clinical education. Please donot compare this school with "Elimidate". I believe if u bust your behind you will do well.

my 2 cents-[/QUOTE]

Friends calm down...
My brother graduated from NYU in 2002, and he says NYU is a good school. They provide good Clinical training because their patients pool is big...so students get more patients to practice on. I also heard that new Dean is very strict and he is doing some major changes..like renovation, higher academic standards..etc

jaap said:
Sorry to disagree with you, but the amount of money I am paying for dental school gives me the right to complain as loud as I want to. My right as a consumer and a student isn't affected by all those people who apply and don't get in and try to excercise some moral high ground. Dental schools are not immune to criticism and probably could use some feedback (negative and positive) to improve themselves. Luckily, I picked a great dental school, so not much to complain about here. :)

You definitely have point, however, please complain as loudly as you wish to your administration. The problem is when people come to the predental forum with the intent of dissuading potential applicants from the school.

Dental school is dental school is dental school.

I'm not sure what really to say to all this, but I did enjoy the reading and it made my morning.

Past students at NYU dental school told me in 2001 that I should not go to nyu dental because it is a bad school. However, I didn't listen and end up at nyu dental school recently. Now, nyu dental school is boring me to death with their childish education. More than 3/4 of the lecture materials are garbage. NYU dental school surely knows how to over-charge students and throwing at the students with a trashy education.
Many professors at NYU dental school are boring and uneducated. They lectured materials for two hours which can be learned in less than 1/2 hour. Some professors gave out terrible notes (mainly pictures without words). A few go even further by not giving out any lecture material at all. Now I ask myself, why the hell I paid so much money to the school, so that I have to work so hard just to write down note? These uneducated and uncaring professors are torturing the students and they are happy about it. When you need the staff any help, they would not care because they would say the school is too large so they won't have time for you. What the f*ck am I paying the money for then when I need help? Some professors brag about being on TV, but they are obnoxious in person and waste more than half of your time with unnecessary talk and lectures. When exam come, some of them will pull out questions from their ***** and not from what they taught thru their mouth. It's a guessing game. The school select top students who can endure their boring lectures and enjoy wasting their life away learning mateirials that are not clinically relevant. Out of 20 professors, you probably have only two real professors who don't waste your time with unnecessary materials. One of the exceptional professor is from NYU medical school. He is excellent because he teaches relevant information that is necessary to treat a patient. The school also has exams every week to torture the students after the long boring and trashy lectures. I was so happy before going to dental school, now I am so depressed and mad because I ended up at the worst teaching and uncaring school. So much money wasted and so little education. Don't be a fool just by listen to the people who showed you around NYU dental school because they lied to you about the good stuff at nyu dental. I am ashamed to go to nyu dental school. Nothing to be proud about being taught by many stupid and uncaring professors at nyu dental school.
This is 2009.
wow..dunno what to say.
i'm sorry that u feel this way.
so, can u say that all nyu students feel this way ??

Past students at NYU dental school told me in 2001 that I should not go to nyu dental because it is a bad school. However, I didn't listen and end up at nyu dental school recently. Now, nyu dental school is boring me to death with their childish education. More than 3/4 of the lecture materials are garbage. NYU dental school surely knows how to over-charge students and throwing at the students with a trashy education.
Many professors at NYU dental school are boring and uneducated. They lectured materials for two hours which can be learned in less than 1/2 hour. Some professors gave out terrible notes (mainly pictures without words). A few go even further by not giving out any lecture material at all. Now I ask myself, why the hell I paid so much money to the school, so that I have to work so hard just to write down note? These uneducated and uncaring professors are torturing the students and they are happy about it. When you need the staff any help, they would not care because they would say the school is too large so they won't have time for you. What the f*ck am I paying the money for then when I need help? Some professors brag about being on TV, but they are obnoxious in person and waste more than half of your time with unnecessary talk and lectures. When exam come, some of them will pull out questions from their ***** and not from what they taught thru their mouth. It's a guessing game. The school select top students who can endure their boring lectures and enjoy wasting their life away learning mateirials that are not clinically relevant. Out of 20 professors, you probably have only two real professors who don't waste your time with unnecessary materials. One of the exceptional professor is from NYU medical school. He is excellent because he teaches relevant information that is necessary to treat a patient. The school also has exams every week to torture the students after the long boring and trashy lectures. I was so happy before going to dental school, now I am so depressed and mad because I ended up at the worst teaching and uncaring school. So much money wasted and so little education. Don't be a fool just by listen to the people who showed you around NYU dental school because they lied to you about the good stuff at nyu dental. I am ashamed to go to nyu dental school. Nothing to be proud about being taught by many stupid and uncaring professors at nyu dental school.
This is 2009.

This thread is from 2005 btw.

This is 2009.
p.s. If you are curious about my undergrad and dental gpa: it's above 3.5. Grade doesn't mean **** when the school is wasting your life away with trashy education. NYU's lousy dental education is the reason why many nyu dental students don't do well in labs and exams. The lectures are so boring, so the school made mandatory attendance for some classes. If you can't get in dental school, wait and reapply to other dental school besided NYU dental.

Welcome back denalstudent72.

This thread IS from 2005... pity someone felt the need to resurrect it.

I can safely say that not all NYU students feel that way. Every school is going to have a few people who hate it there, and they tend to be the most vocal when it comes to talking to prospective students. I know the majority of my classmates and all but a few like it at NYU. The biggest thing is finding a dental school that is a good fit for you. They all have very different curricula and it is best to decide whether a school fits you on your own. If you want to see a more well thought out retrospective on NYU from a recent grad, check out this thread. If nothing else, you have to appreciate the writing style of the original poster.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=603671

I am ashamed to go to nyu dental school. QUOTE]

yawn....

I am ashamed to have a lazy goon in our school too.

I am pretty sure every school teaches the basic sciences. I was under the impression that stuff is on the boards, provides foundation for all the clinical and treatment courses etc. Maybe I was duped........

Its obvious that you know exactly what is needed to run a dental school. You can hire the "educated" professors, cut 3/4 of the cirriculum out, hell you can probably churn out dentists in 2 years.

The biggest problem with NYU is that sometimes lazy and uneducated people sometimes slip through the admissions process. God forbid you have to learn anything to become a Dr.

every school has boring lectures and bad professors. Just like in real life there will be great dentists and then pretty bad ones.

The only real issues I've heard with NYU is that patients dont pay and you end up wasting a lot of time working with new ones, never getting anything done or just putting up the money to pay for whatever the patient needs. There are nice clinics but whats the use of a nice place when your patients are shady and know their way around the system.

since u wrote this in 2005 is it still true about the GPA?

Please help me! i wanna apply to NYU dental school and my gpa is lower but higher than u mentioned but is it still true about the gpa since u wrote it in 2005.

This is 2009.
p.s. If you are curious about my undergrad and dental gpa: it's above 3.5. Grade doesn't mean **** when the school is wasting your life away with trashy education. NYU's lousy dental education is the reason why many nyu dental students don't do well in labs and exams. The lectures are so boring, so the school made mandatory attendance for some classes. If you can't get in dental school, wait and reapply to other dental school besided NYU dental.

What was ur GPA and DAT score when u applied (if u dont mind me asking)? I wanna go to NYU but dont have a high GPA and planning to take the DAT soon. Just want to get into any dental school.

I'd like to make a request. Could you please start making a daily post of what you wish you had known before applying to dental school? I think that's the next step after bashing the school you're attending.

Thanks for bumping a totally useless flame post. Could this be the antics of someone who have been recently rejected by NYU? Can't fool me, it seems clearly so, Joonkimddslol.

Please help me! i wanna apply to NYU dental school and my gpa is lower but higher than u mentioned but is it still true about the gpa since u wrote it in 2005.

LMAO ! he heard they accept anyone with a GPA of 2.8 so now he is interested LMAO LMAO :laugh::laugh::laugh:

There is no such thing about the 2.8 GPA, not today, and not back in 2005. Maybe they will accept 1 or 2 people with that kind of low GPA, but your odds are very slim.

But you'll constantly have to worry about getting kicked out of this school since they do eliminate an estimated 3rd of the students, the first two years.
I believe this is true. I have 2 friends in NYU dental and they told me that this is true.

I believe this is true. I have 2 friends in NYU dental and they told me that this is true.

This is NOT true... no way a school could dismiss that many people and remain accredited... let alone get accreditation with zero recommendations for changes (as NYU did at its last review)... and the average GPA for last years incoming class was around a 3.5, for the record...

This is NOT true... no way a school could dismiss that many people and remain accredited... let alone get accreditation with zero recommendations for changes (as NYU did at its last review)... and the average GPA for last years incoming class was around a 3.5, for the record...

If people would stop and think, it isn't AT ALL in the interest of a dental school to kick students out. Think about how much money a dental school misses out on by kicking a student out after year one? Three full years of tuition and lab fees! I'm pretty sure that for a few hundred thousand dollars, a school would see it's better to help the student succeed than just to cut them loose.

There is no way NYU kicks 1/3 of their students.

I just interviewed at NYU and asked Dr. Mejia point blank "Do you kick students out?" And she looks at me and says "We are a private institution. It doesn't make sense for me to kick anyone out. I need your tuition. People have left for personal reasons, but only 1 has been kicked out because he failed in the past 3 years."

Ya'll need to calm down.