NYU’s Dental School Costs ~$600,000 Before Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john7991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It costs about $600,000 before interest to attend NYU’s dental school, including all costs. It costs about $100,000 extra before interest to specialize there. That means students who specialize at NYU graduate with $700,000+ in student loans. I’m curious as to what current NYU dental students are thinking about how much money they are going to owe. How long do you guys think it’ll take for you to pay it all off (for those of you whose only option is student loans).

I think the important question is, why attend NYU if its costs are so high?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You’re being purposefully deceptive. I just checked their website and without living, tuition total a year is ~120K. Some students may actually live at home and significantly reduce the overall cost. I would say you’re looking at a range between $480K - $620K depending on the living situation. Furthermore, why would one bring in Cost of Living when discussing dental school tuition? The majority of dental students have to move from their hometown to their dental school. You assume the hidden cost. You’re intentionally adding that hidden cost to NYU to make it seem worse. Example: UCLA is ~$315K, but with living you are looking at $400K+. Yet I don’t see you, or others on this site, attacking UCLA.

All that said, I am not (and have never) defending NYU/these insane prices for dental school. You bring up a fantastic (yet exhausted) point: dental schools are too expensive. Yet since there is so much demand (students applying) and not much supply (seats available), they can charge ridiculous prices. And until the US government does something about it, they will keep doing it.

My last point of this post: I agree with you that people REALLY need to think about “is it worth it” prior to pursuing dentistry. These prices are CRAZY. That said, I’m being realistic — college kids won’t listen to you, or me, or anybody else on this website (most likely) so you are just preaching to the disinterested choir.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
You’re being purposefully deceptive. I just checked their website and without living, tuition total a year is ~120K. Some students may actually live at home and significantly reduce the overall cost. I would say you’re looking at a range between $480K - $620K depending on the living situation. Furthermore, why would one bring in Cost of Living when discussing dental school tuition? The majority of dental students have to move from their hometown to their dental school. You assume the hidden cost. You’re intentionally adding that hidden cost to NYU to make it seem worse. Example: UCLA is ~$315K, but with living you are looking at $400K+. Yet I don’t see you, or others on this site, attacking UCLA.

All that said, I am not (and have never) defending NYU/these insane prices for dental school. You bring up a fantastic (yet exhausted) point: dental schools are too expensive. Yet since there is so much demand (students applying) and not much supply (seats available), they can charge ridiculous prices. And until the US government does something about it, they will keep doing it.

My last point of this post: I agree with you that people REALLY need to think about “is it worth it” prior to pursuing dentistry. These prices are CRAZY. That said, I’m being realistic — college kids won’t listen to you, or me, or anybody else on this website (most likely) so you are just preaching to the disinterested choir.
I included all the costs in tuition. That was my mistake and I’ll fix that, but I’m not trying to deceive anyone. I’m a pre-dent concerned about the costs of dental schools in the city I live in because I don’t want to leave my city.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate student loans are definitely not $160,000 on average

I agree with what you're saying but cost of living is a REAL cost. I'm in med so prices are 20-30% cheaper here but there are still some expensive schools. For example, even if NYU has free tuition, the COL alone can easily surpass the TOTAL COA at most texas med schools or even most state schools that offer generous scholarships.

We all have to eat, live, and breathe, and where I'm at $1300/mo gets me an amazing solo apartment 5 min from campus, eat like a king (chicken, steak & shrimp (1x a week), going out 1-2x a week) whereas it might cost $2700/mo in NYC to SPLIT a tiny apartment with 2-3 people + food, etc. It's the same food and the same air, just with different prices. Also, at LECOM dental you can get away with $800/mo for rent + food + car (if cheap econo box)

In the NRMP charts (residency matching) some 15-25% of medical students have a master's degree (MPH, SMP, etc) and as medical schools admissions is becoming more competitive, students are often spending 1-3 gap years doing a masters, working, etc which can all be considered additional debt (SMPs can range $30-$130k) or "lost income" as in working a low-paying job to please admisisons. In my SMP about half of the class was pre-dental.

My friend at USC dental which costs about $155k/year (let's not forget GRAD plus loans charge ~5% just to TAKE OUT the loan). That's ~600k+ including interest by year 4. If you specialize in anything other than OMFS then expect another $130-$150k x 2 years. So let's call it an even $1 million if you don't have parental funding - let's face it - many dental students choosing to specialize have rich parents and most have doctor/dentist parents to begin with,

It's obvious when some (medical) schools publish "average debt" as $200k but you look at their COA and it's $350k but that only applies to the poor students who don't have scholarships/parental funding. At least at my med school you need a 4.0/518+ MCAT to receive any merit scholarships which poor/first-gen students tend not to qualify for. Nonetheless I'm very happy with my school and my region pays physicians VERY well ($300k starting even for FM/IM) but dentistry is on a whole nother level of debt - which IMO is criminal

As the above comment says - you do sound like a boomer. Sorry we are not all perfect like you/your little Jimbo who may have had attended a $50k/year private school starting from kindergarten and attended every SAT/ACT Prep course available then "earned a full ride" to college. Sorry if you think the inner-city kid who grew up around drugs, then somehow made it into college, struggled to graduate but made it out with $60k in loans, then did a $60k SMP somehow is "lazy" and "less deserving" to attend med/dental school. And "they shouldn't have went into debt"
Relax. I was basically agreeing with the OP but just wanted to make sure we were comparing apples-to-apples. Your last paragraph you kind of go off the rails, if I'm being honest. Since you're seeing red, I'll leave you with this (and to everyone reading this): Dental schools are super expensive and it's very important to do your research before applying. That said, apply wherever you'd like, this is all just advice. And I truly hope it works out for you!

Reactions: 1 users
How long do you guys think it’ll take for you to pay it all off (for those of you whose only option is student loans).
Till death do they part...

E6B99618-CA39-4FB5-8E6D-6418CB1C9377.png

Big Hoss

Reactions: 3 users
We all have to eat, live, and breathe, and where I'm at $1300/mo gets me an amazing solo apartment 5 min from campus, eat like a king (chicken, steak & shrimp (1x a week), going out 1-2x a week) whereas it might cost $2700/mo in NYC to SPLIT a tiny apartment with 2-3 people + food, etc. It's the same food and the same air, just with different prices. Also, at LECOM dental you can get away with $800/mo for rent + food + car (if cheap econo box)
Lol It's definitely expensive to live in NYC, but $2700 a month with 2-3 people is NOT necessary. If you're paying that much you're getting a dang nice place. You can find plenty of nice apartments for $1500 per person for a 2BR in some of the most desirable neighborhoods. If money is that serious you can even find good places that are about $1000 a month in Manhattan in Harlem. Or you can go below that for like $800-900 if you are willing to do a 30-35min train ride from neighborhoods in Brooklyn, which still has very good neighborhoods with a ton of young people and things going on

You won't have as much space as a Texas Apartment, but it is 100% affordable as long as you're willing to have a roommate. If you live alone it definitely can get more expensive

Obviously it will be more expensive, but lets not exaggerate things.

Reactions: 1 user