NYU Supplemental Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowfellow427

Reaction score
Any advice on how much of the character count to use for NYU's supplemental question:
Why do you want to pursue your dental education at New York University College of Dentistry? Max. Characters: 5000

I feel 5000 is too much. I have 1400 right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on how much of the character count to use for NYU's supplemental question:
Why do you want to pursue your dental education at New York University College of Dentistry? Max. Characters: 5000

I feel 5000 is too much. I have 1400 right now.
use your best judgement
there is no right or wrong...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First round acceptance last cycle, had ~2500 characters in my essay. When you get an interview they'll ask you Why NYU again (in 250 words this time) as well as information on what schools you applied to, interviewed at, and waitlisted at (if applicable). It's optional, I didn't answer it, was never asked about the schools in my interview, and still accepted.

Just be concise and do your homework on the school. use this essay as a way to shine certain aspects of your app with NYUs mission. I had a lot of research so I focused on that along with a few other things.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you going to rely on student loans to pay for dental school? If so, don’t apply to NYU at all. You’d be crazy to assume $750,000+ in student loans to become a dentist.

Big Hoss
Not OP but I am quite confused by this sentiment. While I do understand the extreme debt than one will incur, as a Canadian applicant I really have no choice if NYU is the only school I am accepted to. I applied to Canadian schools this past cycle and got rejected pre-interview with an extremely competitive GPA. I will obviously try again this cycle, but if push comes to shove and I am only accepted to a school in the States, I would take those loans on in a heartbeat. I would love to hear your opinion on this!

Not OP but I am quite confused by this sentiment. While I do understand the extreme debt than one will incur, as a Canadian applicant I really have no choice if NYU is the only school I am accepted to. I applied to Canadian schools this past cycle and got rejected pre-interview with an extremely competitive GPA. I will obviously try again this cycle, but if push comes to shove and I am only accepted to a school in the States, I would take those loans on in a heartbeat. I would love to hear your opinion on this!
Keep in mind you’ll be unable to take the same loans we US students get to take. So your options will be to take loans from your province or have a US co-signer sign on your behalf for US private loans. Just make sure that if you do get accepted, you will be able to take out the necessary funds. Some schools require you have at least 1/2 of the total cost of tuition readily accessible for them.

What’s so hard to understand? Paying back $750,000+ in student loans will be an absolute nightmare that will last decades. I don’t think you comprehend how much this debt burden will impact your life.

Big Hoss
but if ur from nyc like alot of nyu students are loans are closer to 400k

Keep in mind you’ll be unable to take the same loans we US students get to take. So your options will be to take loans from your province or have a US co-signer sign on your behalf for US private loans. Just make sure that if you do get accepted, you will be able to take out the necessary funds. Some schools require you have at least 1/2 of the total cost of tuition readily accessible for them.
Thank you for this. I plan on taking a loan from my province and also using a co-signer in the States. At least that’s the plan right now depending on if this cycle is favourable or not 😭

Tuition and fees alone are $450,000, and that doesn’t include accrued interest. Even with your living expenses covered, you’re going to be $500,000 to $550,000.

Big Hoss
show them how much they'd be paying in interests for 20 years. I think you posted it somewhere before lol... That should be stickied.

show them how much they'd be paying in interests for 20 years. I think you posted it somewhere before lol... That should be stickied.
Around 6k/month for 20 years at the current rate I believe. +/- $500.

I think to just break even on the interest alone is 60k a year with that amount in loans. So you have to pay more than that amount to tackle the loans down. Or do IBRP and pay the tax bomb after 20 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Around 6k/month for 20 years at the current rate I believe. +/- $500.

I think to just break even on the interest alone is 60k a year with that amount in loans. So you have to pay more than that amount to tackle the loans down. Or do IBRP and pay the tax bomb after 20 years.
And don’t forget, that’s paid back with after tax money! So you’ll have to earn $7,500/month to cover your student loan payment, that’s $90,000/year. How much do these people think they’re going to earn?!

Big Hoss

PS: NYU, don’t forget my silence can be bought…

DDD1FA3C-BB49-4816-BBC4-607C6D8B872A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
And don’t forget, that’s paid back with after tax money! So you’ll have to earn $7,500/month to cover your student loan payment, that’s $90,000/year. How much do these people think they’re going to earn?!

Big Hoss

PS: NYU, don’t forget my silence can be bought…

View attachment 374683

Seriously nobody in their right mind would be doing this... $7,500 for 20 freaking years???? and that's only from a 500k loan! Some schools are charging upwards of 600-700k now..:dead:

Seriously nobody in their right mind would be doing this... $7,500 for 20 freaking years???? and that's only from a 500k loan! Some schools are charging upwards of 600-700k now..:dead:
That’s for the $750,000 it would cost for full loans. At $550,000, you’re sitting at around $4,500/month (after taxes).

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
How much is the cost of living for 4 years at NYU?