Torched DAT 7/14, my best advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smildoc2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I gained some great tips from SDN and credit this site heavily for helping me prepare. This is what I thought and my advice on how to study. Thanks to all those who came before me

Overall: The real thing is way easier than any of the practice tests. Don't freak out. I actually had to make myself stop looking at this website the last week because all the people kept making me so nervous. I got 19s through 21s with TopScore. The practice tests are not a good guage of how you'll do. Don't use them like that. Use them to figure out what you don't know how to do and then go learn it. If you miss the question on titrations, get out your book and do five titration problems until you get it. My main strategy for studying was to do the subject tests and keep a list of topics, which I would later read about in my textbooks from college. Zumdahl is awesome for GC, and Campbell 4th Edition biology is sweet since the page numbers match up with TopScore. You can get used textbooks for like $5 on barnes and noble. Organic Chemistry as a Second Language by Klein is an awesome book for first semester stuff.

PAT: 21.

There were less questions per figure for the cube counting than I expected. I felt like this drained me for time. For the angle ranking, folding up those triangles like people mentioned ("foldable ruler") really was the only way I could have done this section. I never really did understand what people meant by this, but I used the two triangles as an angle measuring device by pinching them together and lining them up with the angles on the screen. If you're going to do this, I recommend looking at the answer choice first. A lot of times you can quickly figure out which ones are worth comparing. At least twice I compared two angles that didn't narrow down my choices, which was pretty stupid. For the Hole Punching section i used a small square piece of paper that was left from the foldable ruler and actually folded it. The trick is not to get too wrapped in this, but if you use it to tell you the number of layers of paper the hole is through, I noticed on the real thing it was often enough to give you the right answer without even looking at where they were.

Bio: 25. I basically spent my last week before the test reading Schaum's all the way through. I did this because I had focused on doing Chem and Orgo before. My Topscore bio was 16-18, but that was before Schaums. I felt like if you understand Chem and Orgo you have a pretty good shot at figuring a question out, but with Bio you're much more likely to get a "know it or you don't" type problem. Also you don't have to recall anything, just recognize it, so I figured if I had just read it I could pick the answer out from the choices. Schaums goes into way more detail than necessary, so don't get freaked out, but I think the time spent was worth it. I did not get sea urchin, but I did get a bunch or test crosses and I felt like I had maybe 10 genetics questions. Nothing on ecology, but I did get some plant stuff. Know the hormones and the nervous system. Know the germ layers, i think everybody get a question like that.

Gen Chem 27: If you can do the Kaplan Subject Tests, you can do the DAT. They are so much harder. Don't worry about the math, the numbers you get are all 2 divided by 4 and the molar masses are the number of grams you start with. Understand the concepts. I would do the subject test with a calculator just to make it go faster.

Orgo 23: I thought the Kaplan Flash Cards were pretty solid for this. Know your carbonyl chemistry, know that a grignard reagent will act as a strong base if there is no carbonyl. Know esterification, that ether doesn't react with **** except strong acids. The reaction types from first semester are all classic examples, nothing tricky. For SN2, they'll give you methyl bromide. For elimination, they'll give you heat. I thought KMNO4 was on there a lot, there was 1 NMR, 1 easy IR question where you just had to know that IR distinguishes between functional groups and you didn't even have to know any of the bands to get it right. Also know the "n" formulas for aromaticity and chiral centers -> stereoisomers

RC: 29. Do a VERY basic roadmap, meaning like a paragraph # and a main topic. I would skim and then search for the answer. Kaplan suggests too much detail with the keywords. I had neurotransmitters, stocks, and something else. The stocks one was boring as hell.

QR: 22. Know how to multiply fractions, manipulate exponents. I didn't have anything too tough.

Good luck. Hope this helps; I've gotten a lot from this site and wanted to give back.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, dude, i'm impressed. What do you eat for breakfast everyday? :)
Great work!

four eggs, different ways. the trick is the gevalia kaffe... it's addictive though. just saw your post on the other thread, congrats! that same thing happened to me during cube counting.

smildoc2 said:
four eggs, different ways. the trick is the gevalia kaffe... it's addictive though. just saw your post on the other thread, congrats! that same thing happened to me during cube counting.

Now i know what to eat for my breakfast before i take NBDE I :)
I'll start practicing from tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very impressive scores. What schools are you applying to?

smildoc2 said:
I gained some great tips from SDN and credit this site heavily for helping me prepare. This is what I thought and my advice on how to study. Thanks to all those who came before me

Overall: The real thing is way easier than any of the practice tests. Don't freak out. I actually had to make myself stop looking at this website the last week because all the people kept making me so nervous. I got 19s through 21s with TopScore. The practice tests are not a good guage of how you'll do. Don't use them like that. Use them to figure out what you don't know how to do and then go learn it. If you miss the question on titrations, get out your book and do five titration problems until you get it. My main strategy for studying was to do the subject tests and keep a list of topics, which I would later read about in my textbooks from college. Zumdahl is awesome for GC, and Campbell 4th Edition biology is sweet since the page numbers match up with TopScore. You can get used textbooks for like $5 on barnes and noble. Organic Chemistry as a Second Language by Klein is an awesome book for first semester stuff.

There were less questions per figure for the cube counting than I expected. I felt like this drained me for time. For the angle ranking, folding up those triangles like people mentioned ("foldable ruler") really was the only way I could have done this section. I never really did understand what people meant by this, but I used the two triangles as an angle measuring device by pinching them together and lining them up with the angles on the screen. If you're going to do this, I recommend looking at the answer choice first. A lot of times you can quickly figure out which ones are worth comparing. At least twice I compared two angles that didn't narrow down my choices, which was pretty stupid. For the Hole Punching section i used a small square piece of paper that was left from the foldable ruler and actually folded it. The trick is not to get too wrapped in this, but if you use it to tell you the number of layers of paper the hole is through, I noticed on the real thing it was often enough to give you the right answer without even looking at where they were.

Bio: 25. I basically spent my last week before the test reading Schaum's all the way through. I did this because I had focused on doing Chem and Orgo before. My Topscore bio was 16-18, but that was before Schaums. I felt like if you understand Chem and Orgo you have a pretty good shot at figuring a question out, but with Bio you're much more likely to get a "know it or you don't" type problem. Also you don't have to recall anything, just recognize it, so I figured if I had just read it I could pick the answer out from the choices. Schaums goes into way more detail than necessary, so don't get freaked out, but I think the time spent was worth it. I did not get sea urchin, but I did get a bunch or test crosses and I felt like I had maybe 10 genetics questions. Nothing on ecology, but I did get some plant stuff. Know the hormones and the nervous system. Know the germ layers, i think everybody get a question like that.

Gen Chem 27: If you can do the Kaplan Subject Tests, you can do the DAT. They are so much harder. Don't worry about the math, the numbers you get are all 2 divided by 4 and the molar masses are the number of grams you start with. Understand the concepts. I would do the subject test with a calculator just to make it go faster.

Orgo 23: I thought the Kaplan Flash Cards were pretty solid for this. Know your carbonyl chemistry, know that a grignard reagent will act as a strong base if there is no carbonyl. Know esterification, that ether doesn't react with **** except strong acids. The reaction types from first semester are all classic examples, nothing tricky. For SN2, they'll give you methyl bromide. For elimination, they'll give you heat. I thought KMNO4 was on there a lot, there was 1 NMR, 1 easy IR question where you just had to know that IR distinguishes between functional groups and you didn't even have to know any of the bands to get it right. Also know the "n" formulas for aromaticity and chiral centers -> stereoisomers

RC: 29. Do a VERY basic roadmap, meaning like a paragraph # and a main topic. I would skim and then search for the answer. Kaplan suggests too much detail with the keywords. I had neurotransmitters, stocks, and something else. The stocks one was boring as hell.

QR: 22. Know how to multiply fractions, manipulate exponents. I didn't have anything too tough.

Good luck. Hope this helps; I've gotten a lot from this site and wanted to give back.

Those are some REAL impressive scores. Congratulations.

Would you mind telling me about the foldable ruler. I have gone through all the threads, but i dont get how to use them. Could you please explain how you used them. My DAT is on 27th and i am very tensed about it and especially the PAT. I really appreciate your help.

Congratulations once again. :)

LMav said:
Those are some REAL impressive scores. Congratulations.

Would you mind telling me about the foldable ruler. I have gone through all the threads, but i dont get how to use them. Could you please explain how you used them. My DAT is on 27th and i am very tensed about it and especially the PAT. I really appreciate your help.

Congratulations once again. :)

I would like an explanation to this too.

When I took my exam I wasnt allowed to hold anything up to the computer screen. If your going to do a foldable ruler why not just trace the angle on paper.

Are you allowed to do that? I sure wasnt.

smildoc2 said:

Congrats ! excellent.

Sara,

if you look anything like that cartoon we should get together to study. i'm tall, dark, handsome and have a very nice smile. do you live anywhere near Chapel Hill?

anyway, foldable ruler: take one of the sheets of paper, 11" side vertical and fold the top right corner so that the top edge of the paper meets the left edge of the paper. there will be a 3" strip of paper along the bottom. Make a fold so that you can tear off this strip. Fold the strip so that the short sides touch. Unfold and Tear the strip in half along the fold.

With the two pieces you have left, fold them into triangles. Once you have two triangles, put them together and pinch them between your thumb and first finger. by orienting them relative to each other you can match them up to the angles on the screen.

Sorry to those of you that were not allowed to hold stuff up to the screen. I saw a bunch of posts from people who had called the ADA and said it was cool with them, they didn't care what you did with the scratch paper.

Cows: I'm applying pretty much all over the South, and to Pacific. Carolina is top of the list.

smildoc2 said:
Sara,

if you look anything like that cartoon we should get together to study. i'm tall, dark, handsome and have a very nice smile. do you live anywhere near Chapel Hill?

anyway, foldable ruler: take one of the sheets of paper, 11" side vertical and fold the top right corner so that the top edge of the paper meets the left edge of the paper. there will be a 3" strip of paper along the bottom. Make a fold so that you can tear off this strip. Fold the strip so that the short sides touch. Unfold and Tear the strip in half along the fold.

With the two pieces you have left, fold them into triangles. Once you have two triangles, put them together and pinch them between your thumb and first finger. by orienting them relative to each other you can match them up to the angles on the screen.

Sorry to those of you that were not allowed to hold stuff up to the screen. I saw a bunch of posts from people who had called the ADA and said it was cool with them, they didn't care what you did with the scratch paper.

Cows: I'm applying pretty much all over the South, and to Pacific. Carolina is top of the list.

LKN

Well its like this, if you can hold stuff up to the screen then why not just trace the angles on the screen to your paper?????????????????

That would be much better than your angle gimmick

I AM SARA said:
LKN

Well its like this, if you can hold stuff up to the screen then why not just trace the angles on the screen to your paper?????????????????

That would be much better than your angle gimmick

YOU ARE SARA, you need a bright screen monitor and a transparent paper to do that.

dat_student said:
YOU ARE SARA, you need a bright screen monitor and a transparent paper to do that.

Your comment is really funny. Made my evening after studying PAT for two long.

smildoc2 said:

How long did you study?

i didn't plan to trace because i remember someone in my kaplan course that had taken the test before said that their scratch paper was really thick and that tracing was impossible.

i guess it was thin enough, but i knew i could use the other trick, and wasn't going to switch strategies in the middle of the test.

smildoc2 said:
i didn't plan to trace because i remember someone in my kaplan course that had taken the test before said that their scratch paper was really thick and that tracing was impossible.

i guess it was thin enough, but i knew i could use the other trick, and wasn't going to switch strategies in the middle of the test.

I swear, they told me to NOT TOUCH THE SCREEN or put PAPER UP TO THE SCREEN.

So I dont know how in the world you got away with that.

I would be scared to do it. It was on tape and they say if you dont follow the rules that you will get dismissed and cannot retake the test for a year.

I AM SARA said:
I swear, they told me to NOT TOUCH THE SCREEN or put PAPER UP TO THE SCREEN.

So I dont know how in the world you got away with that.

I would be scared to do it. It was on tape and they say if you dont follow the rules that you will get dismissed and cannot retake the test for a year.

The rules say "don't put a paper on the monitor." As long as your paper is at least "1 inch" away from the screen you are probably fine.*

*Disclaimer: All the rules and regulations seem to be center specific. Side effects include expulsion, DAT = 0, major change, upset stomach, dizziness, heart attack, stroke, hospitalization and sudden death. To avoid any of these side effects contact your local center officials, medics or relocate to avoid strict and unfriendly officials.

smildoc2 said:

Excellent scores! Congratulations!! thanks for the tips.. how long did it take you to study before the exam? months probably?! I know you got additional Biology prep material but do you think it was necessary to get those on top of the Kaplan Review Book?

oh and about the foldable ruler thing, with the two triangles you made, do you just line them up to the base of the angles and see which ones are closer/further from the 45 degree angle on your triangle?

ok, i don't know how to explain this any better... make a "peace" sign with your hand. now move your index and middle fingers closer together. see how the angle between your fingers gets smaller?

now substitute the flat edges of the triangles, one for each finger. do not continue to make a peace sign, just use the concept that the angle is made out of air. the triangles overlap at the vertex. this is where you pinch once the angle is lined up. the fact that they are triangles has nothing to do with it, it just makes it easier. they could be chopsticks, but you wouldn't have a good place to pinch.

good luck. if you can't figure this out, you have bigger problems than angle ranking...

smildoc2 said:
do not continue to make a peace sign

:laugh: , if you hadn't wrote the above, they'd be a lot of confused people!

Thanks for the advice :thumbup: , but how much does it really help?

hi, i know I'm reviving an old thread but i just want to say thanks for posting the paper ruler technique. angle ranking is my worst subject and this worked flawlessly for me.

smildoc2 said:

I want to torch the DAT too :(