Re-Applicants Who Got In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpaux

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the people who applied and didnt get in, but then improved their application and were accepted: when did you start getting interviews? Presumably, med schools interview the top candidates first (as they are doing now, i.e. UMich) and then start looking lower on their "list."
So for those of us with less than stellar numbers, when might we expect to hear from medical schools? December/January-ish?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a reapplicant. I have average numbers. The only things I did to improve my application were 1) graduate and 2) apply early. I'm applying DO and MD this time around (especially since 4 MD schools told me last year I was 'outside the normal medical student age range') since DO schools are known to be more non-trad friendly.

So far I have four interviews scheduled: three DO and one MD. Early applicants hear from schools generally early. Later applicants hear from schools later. Of course, there are always exceptions to this rule.

i'm a reapplicant also. my numbers are very average, but nothing really negative about my app. i improved my application by completing the special masters program at georgetown with a good gpa, gaining more clinical volunteer experience, and i am currently working full-time at a hospital and volunteering on the side. i have an interview at gw in a few days and i received the invite back in mid-august.

previously, i had interviews mostly in second semester but one in october and one in december. i applied much earlier this year - amcas was verified in mid-july and secondaries were sent in by late july or early august.

i haven't heard anything else, but hopefully i wil start receiving more interviews soon. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:
I'm a reapplicant. I have average numbers. The only things I did to improve my application were 1) graduate and 2) apply early. I'm applying DO and MD this time around (especially since 4 MD schools told me last year I was 'outside the normal medical student age range') since DO schools are known to be more non-trad friendly.

So far I have four interviews scheduled: three DO and one MD. Early applicants hear from schools generally early. Later applicants hear from schools later. Of course, there are always exceptions to this rule.

Hey Shy,
How old are you? I'm hoping to apply next year, when I'll be 24. Hope THAT'S not outside of the normal range!

Yeah, not to put you on the spot, shyrem, but do you mind telling?

I can't believe the adcoms would say that to an applicant (sounds like really blatant ageism!) They don't know based on age alone how well someone will do. I have a friend who started med school in her mid-thirties two years ago. She's up in the top 10% of her class at UC Davis.

Best of luck this time around and if DO is the best way for you, knock 'em dead. But I hope those comments aren't the only thing that drives you away from the MD route. You deserve your shot based on the qualifications you bring to the job!

I'm 38. VERY outside the normal age range. And yes, it was blatant discrimination... so I'm not reapplying to those schools :D. I do have 15 years experience as a paramedic, but unfortunately craptacular grades from 20 years ago brought my GPA down to a 3.23 (I graduated with a chem/math dual degree in 3 years this time with honors).

My experience hasn't driven me away from MD, only those schools too dumb to look at me for what I am and the experience, drive, and determination I bring with me. I didn't apply DO last year simply because I wasn't very familiar with the differences between the DO and MD degree - to me, a good doctor was a good doctor no matter what alphabet they possessed after their name.

BTW: I got NO interviews last year. Not one. I'm pretty excited about my four this year! OK, VERY excited.

hey shyrem,
do you mind disclosing specifically which schools told you that? i'm just curious as to which schools blatantly practice that type of ageism. i've got to admit that i love the do thing partially because they are interested in nontrads.

I'd rather not. I know other non-trads who did have luck with those schools, some with worse grades than mine. They are fine schools, and there isn't a single medical school I would discourage someone from attending. I look at it this way - you just have to find the right "fit". Obviously those four weren't for me.

I think you get a thick skin throughout this process - just today I got rejected from KCOM. They sent me a rather curt letter saying I wasn't going to be considered, but I should strengthen my application by applying to their MS program (I guess a honors graduate in chemistry and math with 15 years of medical experience and a 29 MCAT isn't strong enough). I could look at it just exactly that way; instead I see it as a place that just isn't right for me. The right place will come along - possibly in one of those four interviews. :D. At least I hope so.

And remember - all medical schools take at least one non-trad. You could be the one!

southpaux said:
To the people who applied and didnt get in, but then improved their application and were accepted: when did you start getting interviews? Presumably, med schools interview the top candidates first (as they are doing now, i.e. UMich) and then start looking lower on their "list."
So for those of us with less than stellar numbers, when might we expect to hear from medical schools? December/January-ish?

This year was my third time applying MD/DO. I applied really really early and I had 4 interviews lined up as of two weeks ago. I interviewed at MSU-COM, Monday Sep19th and was accepted yesterday morning.
What I did differently was to attend a Masters of Science program at Indiana Univ that specifically prepares you for medical school by helping you with your science gpa (by taking grad science courses) and the intensive summer MCAT course (which helped me go up 7 points on my MCAT).
If you have lower scores, the rule of thumb is to always apply earlier. You want them to see your determination (because you applied early) and accomplishments before they are bombarded with people with higher GPAs and MCAT scores.
Also, apply SMART. I called all the medical schools beforehand and let them know I was interested in their school and told them my numbers. I was honest with them and myself and it kept me from applying to a school that was not going to accept me.

This is what I planned for myself, and I got in, and got in EARLY!!!! and to a good school.

I'm an MSI former reapplicant. My reapp year I got interviews from Oct thru Feb, so I wasn't in a narrow range myself.

It all depends on when you're complete at the schools and your current stats (mainly mcat and gpa). I had interview invitations from September all the way through May, although I didn't go to the later ones. I was complete at most schools between mid Aug and early Sept.

Did you guys change your personal statement at all?

MDinTraining26 said:
Did you guys change your personal statement at all?

i didn't change mine, but still got in.

as for my re-app experience, i applied early decision to a school that put me on their alternate list last year. i think the EDP helped because it let the school know that i wanted to go there. in addition, i did graduate from college during that year, did a independent research project, got another job, and some extra awards. with my interview the second time around, i think i gave off the impression that i had become a more mature person, and that's one of those traits that i hear interviewers look for. at the med school i'm going to attend, my stats are pretty average (3.84 GPA and 28 MCAT).

Members don't see this ad :)
OH... and I just found out I got into UNECOM. :D :D

Still waiting to hear from 8 schools post-secondary.

neovenom said:
i didn't change mine, but still got in.

as for my re-app experience, i applied early decision to a school that put me on their alternate list last year. i think the EDP helped because it let the school know that i wanted to go there. in addition, i did graduate from college during that year, did a independent research project, got another job, and some extra awards. with my interview the second time around, i think i gave off the impression that i had become a more mature person, and that's one of those traits that i hear interviewers look for. at the med school i'm going to attend, my stats are pretty average (3.84 GPA and 28 MCAT).

I'm in the exact same boat. I applied EDP last year...was waitlisted...applied again this year (EDP) and was accepted to MCG! I guess I'll see you in about ten months!

I am a reapplicant and have already gotten in to DMU-COM... I wrote a new PS, now have clinical experience, and am doing a masters in public health program... I didn't apply DO last year because I didn't know much about it... I am very happy that I have gotten in to med school!

Applied as early as I could. First interview was in late August, one in Sept, three in October, two of which I cancelled, three sheduled for November, two of which I cancelled due to an acceptance. Early application is the thing!

reapplicant here. just got into EVMS out of state. i changed my personal statement some (i figured that it didn't help me get accepted last year so couldn't hurt to change it.) more research, clinical, and volunteer work. didn't retake mcat (28P). GPA 3.6 for both OA and BCPM. applied early as possible. must have helped.

southpaux said:
To the people who applied and didnt get in, but then improved their application and were accepted: when did you start getting interviews?
Let me preface this reply with my crappy numbers: GPA of 3.5 cum with barely 3.4 BCPM (U of Michigan UG, CMB major). Fairly decent MCATs (33R, nothing below 10). Saving grace: 2 years of research and some clinical exp, a couple of publications. Oh, and I was 24 at the time of my first app (this was 2 years ago).

First time applying: Interviewed right away at UW (I was a WA state resident at the time); second interview at Wash U in st louis in January. Immediate rejection from UW (even after years of research there!!!), and wait listed at Wash U until August..ultimately, rejection. :(

Luckily, I was smart enough (and wealthy enough) to secure a back-up option...I applied to a masters program at Georgetown (NOT SMP). Worked my a$$ off for a 4.0, but the jury is still out on how much grad grades *really* matter. Also some vol work during grad school, and some fantastic letters of rec (it is MUCH easier to get to know profs really well in grad school.)

Second time applying: Submitted AMCAS in August. Turned over most secondaries (12 schools) very quickly. Heard from Georgetown, Jefferson, and USC in Sept, interview dates 9/28, 10/5, and 11/29, respective. Heard from U of Maryland (my current state of residency) in mid-Oct, and recently iterviewed. Still waiting on the others - was put "on hold" at U of Chicago and GWU back in late Sept/early Oct. Other than that, I have not heard much from the other 6 schools.

Found out yesterday that I was accepted to Georgetown. I was elated.

However, I think Maryland may be my first choice right now, mostly for financial and facility-related reasons. I will have to wait until mid/late-Nov for a committee decision on that one. It'll be a tough decision to make, should I be admitted.

I hope this helps. Dunno if your numbers/circumstances are similar to mine. Basically, it's a good sign if you've heard from someone by now, but if you haven't, I wouldn't worry too much just yet. One thing you may want to do is *make absolutely certain* that your applications are complete. I had a big problem with one of my apps (my letters were sent but never received by the institution, and they waited 2 and 1/2 months to let me know). This could definitely hold up the works.

Good luck to you!

southpaux said:

This is actually my FOURTH time applying to med school, although the first three times I didn't put enough effort and thought into it, so it wasn't surprising that I met with less than desirable results. The last time I applied was in 1997, so I had to re-take the MCAT b/c my scores had expired, and I did much MUCH better on it. I also finished my MS, and I'm now finishing my PhD, both in organic chem. These two things made a big difference for me, because my undergrad program did not offer grades, and all of my pre-reqs were therefore taken P/F. I still don't have an undergrad GPA, but now I have a solid grad school record, and that with my MCAT, new ECs, and new LORs was enough to ameliorate a lot of the problems I had previously. I submitted my AMCAS on June 1, and my first interview was at the end of August. I was just accepted for next fall.

One other thing I wanted to mention: someone here said that s/he called several schools before applying, and I did the exact same thing. If you have any unusual circumstances in your app, I think that it is wise to do this, as well as to consult with an admissions director at one of your state schools, again BEFORE you apply. (I did this as well.) I had three concerns: my pre-reqs are all 10+ years old, I'm 30, and I took all the pre-reqs P/F. There were a few schools that basically advised me not to apply. Some others said that they'd look at my graduate grades instead. Several said that I'd need an excellent MCAT score to make up for my lack of grades and old pre-reqs. A few schools told me that I could write a letter and request that they waive some of their pre-req requirements (i.e., age of the pre-reqs or that the pre-reqs had to be graded). Even with all of this legwork, there were still some schools that decided not to bother with me, but there were plenty of others that were willing to give me a chance. Like ShyRem said, not every school will be right for every candidate. It's important to go into this process with an open mind. I was quickly rejected pre-secondary from the school that I initially thought would be my top choice. While it was disappointing, it also forced me to really start looking at the possibilities at my other schools, some of which I now know would be a better fit for me.

LadyWolverine said:
southpaux said:
To the people who applied and didnt get in, but then improved their application and were accepted: when did you start getting interviews?
Let me preface this reply with my crappy numbers: GPA of 3.5 cum with barely 3.4 BCPM (U of Michigan UG, CMB major). Fairly decent MCATs (33R, nothing below 10). Saving grace: 2 years of research and some clinical exp, a couple of publications. Oh, and I was 24 at the time of my first app (this was 2 years ago).

First time applying: Interviewed right away at UW (I was a WA state resident at the time); second interview at Wash U in st louis in January. Immediate rejection from UW (even after years of research there!!!), and wait listed at Wash U until August..ultimately, rejection. :(

Luckily, I was smart enough (and wealthy enough) to secure a back-up option...I applied to a masters program at Georgetown (NOT SMP). Worked my a$$ off for a 4.0, but the jury is still out on how much grad grades *really* matter. Also some vol work during grad school, and some fantastic letters of rec (it is MUCH easier to get to know profs really well in grad school.)

Second time applying: Submitted AMCAS in August. Turned over most secondaries (12 schools) very quickly. Heard from Georgetown, Jefferson, and USC in Sept, interview dates 9/28, 10/5, and 11/29, respective. Heard from U of Maryland (my current state of residency) in mid-Oct, and recently iterviewed. Still waiting on the others - was put "on hold" at U of Chicago and GWU back in late Sept/early Oct. Other than that, I have not heard much from the other 6 schools.

Found out yesterday that I was accepted to Georgetown. I was elated.

However, I think Maryland may be my first choice right now, mostly for financial and facility-related reasons. I will have to wait until mid/late-Nov for a committee decision on that one. It'll be a tough decision to make, should I be admitted.

I hope this helps. Dunno if your numbers/circumstances are similar to mine. Basically, it's a good sign if you've heard from someone by now, but if you haven't, I wouldn't worry too much just yet. One thing you may want to do is *make absolutely certain* that your applications are complete. I had a big problem with one of my apps (my letters were sent but never received by the institution, and they waited 2 and 1/2 months to let me know). This could definitely hold up the works.

Good luck to you!

Sorry, but how are those crappy #'s? A 3.5 will definitely NOT keep you out of med school and a 33 w/nothing below 10 is great. I have a friend who got a 32 w/ an 8 in VR and is in his 4th year at Northwestern, one of the top med schools in the nation. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're obviously intelligent.

ShyRem said:
I'm 38. VERY outside the normal age range. And yes, it was blatant discrimination... so I'm not reapplying to those schools :D. I do have 15 years experience as a paramedic, but unfortunately craptacular grades from 20 years ago brought my GPA down to a 3.23 (I graduated with a chem/math dual degree in 3 years this time with honors).

My experience hasn't driven me away from MD, only those schools too dumb to look at me for what I am and the experience, drive, and determination I bring with me. I didn't apply DO last year simply because I wasn't very familiar with the differences between the DO and MD degree - to me, a good doctor was a good doctor no matter what alphabet they possessed after their name.

BTW: I got NO interviews last year. Not one. I'm pretty excited about my four this year! OK, VERY excited.

Hi ShyRem,

I can't believe some of those schools said that you were too old! That is ridiculous because as an older student I'm sure that you have unique experiences to contribute as a medical student. I see it it as only being an advantage.

Good Luck to you!!

Stephie

LadyWolverine said:
Worked my a$$ off for a 4.0, but the jury is still out on how much grad grades *really* matter.

Why is it that if you take a grad class as an undergrad and do well it's such a great thing but if you take it as a grad student people automatically think "grade inflation" and discount it? It's the same work graded the same way...

Reapplied this summer after improving my application by doing some more volunteer and community service experiences (recommended by the adcomm at my top choice from last year, MN-Duluth). I changed some of my personal statement to incorporate the new experiences but did not retake the MCAT or try to boost my gpa.

I interviewed at MN Duluth in Oct. and was accepted 2 weeks later. I still haven't heard anything on my other schools on whether I'll interview or not, but MN Duluth is still my number one, so I plan to attend it unless I'm absolutely blown away by another school AND get accepted haha!

southpaux said:

Re-applicant here!
Previously, I applied to 26 medical schools and was rejected from all 26.(It still stings! Hold me?)
This time around I did a Post bacc, 2yrs of hands on clinical experience, re-took the MCAT and applied VERY EARLY. I applied to 22 medical schools, received 22 secondaries, completed 19, offered 7 interviews and have 1 acceptance.
Keep the faith!!!!!!!!!!

Im a reapplicant from last year. Did some research and retook the MCAT. Just got accepted to my state school and have have another interview next week. :thumbup:

I got an acceptance from my state school in October, but it's been dead quiet since then. I have a horrible verbal score (even with retake), so it's a wonder that I got in at all. Although I've heard that in the general scheme of things, where you study medicine won't make a difference in the success on the boards, in residency placement, and in clinical practice, I'm wondering about the validity of hearsay and whether I should reapply.

What are your thoughts on this?

To qualify- I am grateful for my acceptance. Nonetheless, I'd like to be sure that I make the best decision in the very likely event that my state school is my only acceptance. I have taken the MCAT 2x. Other stats are in my profile.

Thanks for your input everybody.

This was my third time applying.....and got accepted week before thanksgiving. (And have four more interviews scheduled.)

My advice is to GET GUIDANCE FROM THE RIGHT PERSON (I talked to ex adcom). In my case, it made A LOT of difference. My application was stronger this time, but it was strong last two times as well. The reason I got in this year is because I went in the interview FEELING CONFIDENT about my application.

Advice I received was - Must have some interest that TIES THE APPLICATION together. For me, it was public health. So I did a lot of clinical and community work focusing on health education etc....

Also - I came up with a hobby, quit my job to show dedication, did a little research and got STRONG recommendation letters FROM PHYSICIANS.

Good Luck to all those reapplying.

It is my second time applying and I made a lot of changes to my application. I took the MCAT again and bumped my score from a 28 to a 33, volunteered at the children's hospital, shadowed a physician for more than just an afternoon, am in the process of getting my masters in chemistry, and overall felt more confident in why I wanted to become a physician. I think the thing that I am taking away from this whole experience is that it is not that I needed to make my application just like everyone else's but I needed to get the find of experience I needed to be able to answer the infamous question of why I want to be a physician. I consider not getting in the first time to be a very good thing as I am going to be a better physician and medical student having to work hard to get in. It is not the end of the world to not get it, even though it may feel like it at the time, but it is an opportunity to do things you may not have had the chance to do otherwise.

dr_ray said:
I got an acceptance from my state school in October, but it's been dead quiet since then. I have a horrible verbal score (even with retake), so it's a wonder that I got in at all. Although I've heard that in the general scheme of things, where you study medicine won't make a difference in the success on the boards, in residency placement, and in clinical practice, I'm wondering about the validity of hearsay and whether I should reapply.

To qualify- I am grateful for my acceptance. Nonetheless, I'd like to be sure that I make the best decision in the very likely event that my state school is my only acceptance. I have taken the MCAT 2x. Other stats are in my profile.

You have an acceptance and you're wondering if you should re-apply???? My thought on this is that you are utterly insane. Seriously. Go to your state school, get your MD, and don't look back.

dr_ray said:

ray, Q is right. just go to your state school and become a doctor. relax.

QofQuimica said:
You have an acceptance and you're wondering if you should re-apply???? My thought on this is that you are utterly insane. Seriously. Go to your state school, get your MD, and don't look back.

Smart advice, like usual from Q. If you don't take it, we'll all point and laugh :laugh:

MoosePilot said:
Smart advice, like usual from Q. If you don't take it, we'll all point and laugh :laugh:

Dude, you seriously won't go wrong at U of I, (even if you get placed outside of Chicago-- but w/ your early acceptance, you'll get the campus you want)so grab the opportunity with both hands!!

dr_ray said:

it's a crap shoot where you get in. undergraduate MD education is the same everywhere.

Just got accepted yesterday to mizzou. changes since last year = raised my mcat from 28 to 31, did some more shadowing, graduated with honors.

Just got accepted to UMDNJ-RWJ. Am a re-applicant. Retook MCATs and improved score by 2 points. Did more volunteering and research.

Don't stress about timelines. But if you really want to know about a specific school, you can call them. Many schools appreciate to know your interest, others aren't receptive, but they expect you to call with any questions about the application cycle. If you're nervous about the class filling up, tell them, hopefully they'll be honest with you, or give you some good news.

Now if you end up reapplying, it's actually a lot easier the second time around. You'll get your application in early, and have time to make it beautiful and they won't be able to put it down. Really, it's a time for you to improve yourself and ready yourself for the first steps to your new career.

I completely redid my application, spent a lot more time considering why I'm on this path, and tried to be more straight forward in explaining the relevance of my extracurriculars. I can tell you with the interviews I've had thus far, the improvement shows in the kind of questions I get. My enthusiasm is shared, and I have been accepted to a few schools, so it's been great to be a reapplicant. I think if I did get accepted last year, I'd be a frazzled, unprepared mentally med student, so it was the right thing.

Anyway. If this is what you want, make it happen. Good luck.

I'm a reapplicant who got in this year. I had several positive as well as a negative hit toward my application this time around. The positive hit that I had going into this cycle was that I was involving myself in research. My weakness from last years application was the fact that I sent all my secondaries by mid november and my MCAT score did not suffice aither. My verbal score was the one that did me in. The result was two interviews followed by two waitlist and the result was my subsequent application. This time around I retook the MCAT but scored a few points lower and the Verbal still not budging. Depressed I still sent my applications June 1st. The result was 5 interviews 4 MD's and 1 DO, 2 acceptances (1 MD, 1 DO) and four waitlist. Again if you get an interview your foot is in the door. Just walk in there with the confidence that you scored a 45, and have 4.5 gpa. Good luck to all of you.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4805

Yeah, this was my third time. It has been a long, sometimes good-sometimes difficult, road. First year, my only interview was at Ponce school of medicine in Puerto Rico. Second year, retook mcat (went up 4 points) and got 5 interviews. One was an acceptance to DO, 4 waitlists at MD. I thought one of the MD's would go through, so I gave up the DO spot. Third year (this year) 4 interviews so far, one acceptance to Tulane. I am incredibly excited, but still holding out for my state school, MCG (interviewed in December). I have been working in clinical research and have taken an additional lab course in micro. We'll see what happens.