Importance of being a complete applicant + possible insight for confused applicants who got no love this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatDad26

MS2
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After an unsuccessful 2019-2020 cycle and now a successful cycle this year, I wanted to share some things I learned as a reapplicant.

For the 2019-2020 cycle, I would categorize myself as this awkward in between in terms of what schools I should have aimed for. Stats wise I was low, 509 MCAT, ~3.6 cGPA and ~3.6 sGPA (note, undergrad gpa was incomplete as I was applying as a senior). However my ECs I would categorize as more of top tier: 1500 clinical hours as cna and scribe, 1500 research hours, awards, 3-4 publications with more that got accepted throughout the year (which I updated schools on), TA experience, and decent volunteering. I applied very broadly, with 30 schools ranging from low tier to 1/2 T20. After 6 interviews at lower tier schools, I ended up post-II with 5 WLs and 1 R. After never being pulled from a waitlist and realizing this cycle was a failure, I reached out to these programs to see where I went wrong.

Although some programs provided no feedback, the ones that did all had the same explanation. They said my interview performance went well, however I wasn't a "fit" for their program. My stats were a fit. My interview went well. After many email chains I eventually was able to speak with an adcom member at one school who gave me the greatest advice I heard. They said my EC's were what didn't fit. They said my EC's were more in line with what a higher tier program would look for. Whereas their program looks for more volunteering, community outreach, etc. So my stats were their but my ECs didn't fit (I don't want to say they were "too strong" but more so just not what their adcom was seeking, idk?). I've read a lot of stories from high stat applicants unsuccessful and am certain this situation goes the other way too. If you have a 4.0 gpa and 528 MCAT but less competitive EC's, I think you will be unsuccessful at both low tier and top tier schools.

With this knowledge I had only one way to be successful my next cycle. I couldn't take away my ECs or undo them, so I needed to be a top tier applicant stats wise too. With adding my senior year grades plus retaking the MCAT (515-520 MCAT and ~3.7 GPA), I certainly made myself fit the applicant pool for more competitive programs. In conjunction with my EC's I felt this made me a more "true" applicant to the range I was applying to.

While still applying broadly this cycle, I so far have received again 6 interviews. Fortunately I was accepted to a T30 program already and am waiting to hear back from a T15 one too! Unsurprisingly based on my theory, the less competitive programs on my list have given me no love, just strengthening my argument.

Anyway the moral of this story is if you're going to be a reapplicant, make sure you completely fit the program you are applying to. Never think because you have high stats but slacked on ECs you'll end up okay and get an A at a less competitive program. And vice versa don't think you publish 25x and shadow for 10,000 hours and end up at a T20 despite low stats.

I hope this can be helpful to at least one person here. Maybe this can be insight to many high stat applicants wondering why they didn't have a successful cycle. Wish you all the best and trust me, don't give up! Your time will come and it will be a moment you never forget when it does.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users