Downside of re-applying prematurely

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

porpoise

Reaction score
Trying to figure out whether to hold off on re-applying until I get a new clinical job. My app is ready and I'm inclined to apply now.

My theory is that the main thing holding me back last cycle was applying late (secondaries were submitted in late August through September). How many schools will care if I end up getting rejected again and applying three cycles in a row?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are already a reapplicant, I highly suggest waiting a year if you had deficiencies in your app and no interviews. If you reply back with a detailed WAMC post in the below format, we could provide more tailored advice:

Did you receive interviews? Have you changed your PS and other essays (eg AMCAS work/activities descriptions)?

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAs: 3.2 uGPA ; SMP GPA 3.7x
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 519
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Northeast
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Top 20
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1000 hours as clinical research coordinator
  7. Research experience and productivity: >6000 hours, 1 poster, 1 paper under review
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~100 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours as tutor; 200 hours other
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 1000 Hours leadership on student organization
  11. Relevant honors or awards: N/A
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
I'm currently applying for a clinical job (likely scribe or medical assistant) and have also received suggestions that I should become an EMT. Not sure if I'd be competitive for an MD/PhD program with my undergrad GPA and one middle-author paper under review. Would also appreciate help with a school list.

Edit: Should add that I'm a nontrad several years out of undergrad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received one interview and got a few holds. I've received feedback that my personal statement and writing were strong.
I added a few activities but my personal statement hasn't changed much. I wonder if I would get a few interviews just by applying earlier this time.

That's a good point -- just posted a WAMC:

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAs: 3.2 uGPA ; SMP GPA 3.7x
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 519
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Northeast
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Top 20
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1000 hours as clinical research coordinator
  7. Research experience and productivity: >6000 hours, 1 poster, 1 paper under review
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~100 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours as tutor; 200 hours other
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: N/A
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
I'm currently applying for a clinical job (likely scribe or medical assistant) and have also received suggestions that I should become an EMT. Not sure if I'd be competitive for an MD/PhD program with my undergrad GPA and one middle-author paper under review. Would also appreciate help with a school list.

Edit: Should add that I'm a nontrad several years out of undergrad.
Did your clinical research coordinator position involve working face-to-face with patients (not research volunteers)?

Where did you apply? What was your 200 hours in "other" for non-clinical volunteering?

Did your clinical research coordinator position involve working face-to-face with patients (not research volunteers)?

Where did you apply? What was your 200 hours in "other" for non-clinical volunteering?
The clinical research coordinator position was not patient-facing but I did shadow my PI.
The extra 200 hours was with an organization similar to Meals on Wheels.
Applied to around ~20 schools. I think my list was fine but I applied late and clinical experience was weak.

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your state of residence ? Where were your interviews in previous cycles ? Which schools did you apply to ?
I don't want to be too specific but I got an interview at my SMP program and that was it. I applied to my state school and didn't get an interview.

Your complete lack of clinical volunteering/employment was a major factor in your poor application cycle. Working as a medical assistant or scribe in the coming year is a good idea and you would accumulate more than enough clinical hours. You could then apply in June 2024. You should include DO schools in your reapplication.

Last edited:
I agree with Faha. You did not address the clinical experience aspect at all and that is why your state school did not interview you last cycle. If your only interview was with the SMP's med school (which probably is offered to a high number of students who completed their program), it would not be worth your time and money to apply now.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The 200 hours of tutoring will be counted as teaching, not nonclinical volunteering.

What is the nature of your other 200 hours of nonclinical volunteering?

If the OP said the other 200 hours were with Meals on Wheels, then I don't suspect the applicant was summarily excluded due to low service orientation hours. If the applicant were part of an SMP during the application cycle, other programs would likely be holding off until SMP grades are in, and then the SMP host program would likely take the shot at interviewing. A reapp may be a bit more successful if the grades from the SMP are now in and there is remarkable improvement academically.

We do have the Research Scientists forum where the MSTP folks hang out and can do an MD/PhD WAMC. There's not much information from what is provided from my own perspective, but I guess if the applicant wants to stay in research for 8-9 years to get both degrees...