NSUCOM Interview (Continued)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregory Gulick

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone! I hope all of you folks from www.osteopathic.com found the new bulletin board over here.

Anyways, someone was asking about interviewing at NSUCOM. Well, I just interviewed there yesterday and it was a fantastic experience. The interview was not very high stress. There were three interviewers (a D.O., an M.D., and a Ph.D.) that spoke with me for about 25 minutes. I felt real good about it when I left.

Probably the most difficult time for most people is the waiting. After the tour, you could sit in the waiting room for up to two hours before you get interviewed. Fortunately, there are usually plenty of other people there to talk with as the dental school is interviewing students as well.

So don't worry too much. Just relax and try to enjoy the experience... I did.

Regards,

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just interviewed their last Friday.
I think the school is great! I hope to
hear from them soon. Not only is the school
great but the area is nice (and expensive).

All the people that I talked with seemed to
like the school and everyone was very nice.

They brought out cookies and drinks for the
people waiting to interview.

Did either of you look into housing in that area? I've hear that it's very expensive. It would save on airfare to visit the family since it's only three hours from home but I'd have to live off campus in an apartment large enough for my wife, my child and me.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I'd like to congratulate everyone who has been admitted to DO school thus far, especially Stef who got her letter from UOMHS in the last few days. Way to go.
Second, is anyone interviewing at LECOM next week? Any advice from those who have just interviewed or current students would be much appreciated. The school's website is of little help as most important info is under construction, e.g., curriculum, schedule of classes, faculty, etc.
Third, has anyone heard from or interviewed at NYCOM?

Rich

Dear Rich,

I interviewed at LECOM last year. It was my first med school interview so I was a bit nervous. There were three people in the interview. My suggestion would be to know thy self! Know why you wish to enter osteopathic medicine. They ask me what I thought made a good physician. They also asked how familiar I was with OMT. One interviwer asked me for three words that described myself...followed by "What are three words which describe an excellent physician?" I would be happy to answer any questions you have....feel free to email me. I would check out www.med.jhu.edu/meded_feedback. The site has feedback from students who have already interviewed at various schools. LECOM is listed!

Take care and good luck!
Matt

What sorts of questions did they ask you at the NSUCOM interview? What did you think of everything (campus, etc.)? Since I know you have interviewed at (and been accepted to) a few schools, how would you rank NSUCOM on your list?

NSUCOM easily has the best facilities of any medical school I've visited. For three years, it has remained my first choice. And after already being accepted at two other COMs and then visiting NSUCOM, my mind has not changed. ;-) I just love the program they have there, and it seems to be getting better and better.

The new dean at NSUCOM seemed very nice and is really pushing for some major changes. One of these changes is to move the school is the direction of producing more research, but not to the extent that clinical education suffers (as happens in many research-intensive medical schools). To accomodate this, he has already received a grant that anyone who wishes to do the D.O./M.P.H. program can get the M.P.H. tuition paid for! So, a free M.P.H. for anyone who is interested! That's a pretty good deal.

As far as the interview, it was a 3 person panel that consisted of a D.O., an M.D. and a Ph.D. It lasted for about 25 minutes. They mostly addressed my intense involvement in the osteopathic field over the past three years. But other applicants I talked to seemed to get the more basic questions "What are your strengths, etc." In fact, I wasn't even asked why I wanted to be a doctor. ;-) I thought this was a good thing because it showed that they already read my application materials (while some other schools hadn't).

Overall, it is a great school. If I got in, I'd be one happy camper. I can imagine that there is no thrill like getting your first choice. But I'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck to you.

Gregory Gulick

Hey I love NSUCOM!! I turned down comparable MD schools to go to NOVA...it surely does exceed many medical schools around the nation. It has all the right amenities...top-notch facilities, awesome technology(HARVEY--cardiac simulator), excellent clinical rotation sites(nationally-recognized hospitals), and ofcourse location and weather(to lose any unecessary stress with cold weather and getting sick while studying hard in medical school)....and no matter what people tell me about losing my focus possibly down in south florida...I always say...I know how hard I worked to get to this point...I know what I have invested...and at this point I know I have to be self-disciplined...so even when you are stressed out...it's nice to have a beach to relax at and play beach volleyball...or take a dip in the pool at your apartments to let go of your last exam's worries. ;)

Can't wait till August!!

Mani
NSUCOM Class of 2007

Hahaha....good catch Quinn. As I was reading his original post (and seeing his profile) I thought to myself, "hmmm, he just interviewed there last week and he's already an MSIV...." I guess they did do things differently at NOVA back in 1998.....

care :D

lol...very true Quinn

By the way QuinnNSU...I wanted to thank you for all your posts...I enjoy reading them...and you really help me realize that going to NOVA is going to be a great experience! I definitely am going to enjoy my summer before school starts...but any advice for buying books or supplies for that first year of med school??

any advice would be great!:)

Mani
NSUCOM Class of 2007

People were so polite back then...writing their replies like letters, putting their names at the end. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is like reading a letter from my grandparents. Thank God we don't talk like this anymore.

reminds me of a time when my brother went through the application process. He's a surgeon now, but he's 7 years older and starts school early for his age. I believe he started school at 21. It was probably 2002. Iol I would ask for his study review books now, but they are probably ancient. It is cool how old this board is though.

Oh my God! Dr. Quinn!!!!

Last edited:
lol...very true Quinn

By the way QuinnNSU...I wanted to thank you for all your posts...I enjoy reading them...and you really help me realize that going to NOVA is going to be a great experience! I definitely am going to enjoy my summer before school starts...but any advice for buying books or supplies for that first year of med school??

any advice would be great!:)

Mani
NSUCOM Class of 2007

Wow, indeed.

Mani Batchu, Chicago adolescent psychiatrist, sentenced to 30 years for luring teen girls into sexual relationships over the Internet

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/dr_mani_batchu_adolescent_psyc.html

http://www.sigmasigmaphi.org/news/conv07/xi.htm

NSUCOM easily has the best facilities of any medical school I've visited. For three years, it has remained my first choice. And after already being accepted at two other COMs and then visiting NSUCOM, my mind has not changed. ;-) I just love the program they have there, and it seems to be getting better and better.

The new dean at NSUCOM seemed very nice and is really pushing for some major changes. One of these changes is to move the school is the direction of producing more research, but not to the extent that clinical education suffers (as happens in many research-intensive medical schools). To accomodate this, he has already received a grant that anyone who wishes to do the D.O./M.P.H. program can get the M.P.H. tuition paid for! So, a free M.P.H. for anyone who is interested! That's a pretty good deal.

As far as the interview, it was a 3 person panel that consisted of a D.O., an M.D. and a Ph.D. It lasted for about 25 minutes. They mostly addressed my intense involvement in the osteopathic field over the past three years. But other applicants I talked to seemed to get the more basic questions "What are your strengths, etc." In fact, I wasn't even asked why I wanted to be a doctor. ;-) I thought this was a good thing because it showed that they already read my application materials (while some other schools hadn't).

Overall, it is a great school. If I got in, I'd be one happy camper. I can imagine that there is no thrill like getting your first choice. But I'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck to you.

Gregory Gulick

I remember I wound up getting Wait Listed at NSU, it was one of my first interviews. The facilities are easily among the best of any DO or MD school in the country.