Volunteering = Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason3278

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer in the ER at a local osteopathic hospital one night a week. The physicians there are pretty much all DOs, and from what I hear, they will let volunteers who are students interested in medicine watch procedures. Could I consider that a volunteering and shadowing experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I "volunteered" for about 150 hours in an ER. I "Shadowed" about 16 hours (2 nights with an ER Doc).

I think "shadowing" entails more of a procedure watching, QA session with the doctor, whereas "volunteering" involves more caring for patients and their families with food, water, blankets, etc and running menial jobs for nurses, such as get me this, or take this to lab, or run to the pharmacy.

IMHO, of course...

daveyjwin said:
I "volunteered" for about 150 hours in an ER. I "Shadowed" about 16 hours (2 nights with an ER Doc).

I think "shadowing" entails more of a procedure watching, QA session with the doctor, whereas "volunteering" involves more caring for patients and their families with food, water, blankets, etc and running menial jobs for nurses, such as get me this, or take this to lab, or run to the pharmacy.

IMHO, of course...

On the other hand, I disagree:

I was a volunteer in the ER in high school for the sole purpose of shadowing a physician. I ran errands from time to time to help out, but I watched every interested procedure, and talked with the physicians. Other volunteers walked around with techs, but I always stayed with the physicians.

When I actually did shadow a physician, I ended up doing those errands volunteers do anyway.

Whether you call it volunteering or shadowing --if you establish a relationship with a physician, it is shadowing. This can be beneficial in the long term in the form of recommendation letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't list my ER experience as shadowing. However, when asked about it during my interview, I included that I shadowed while doing my other duties. They were happy that I had patient interaction.

If that is all the shadowing experience that you have, I would probably look into formally shadowing someone.

misparas said:
I didn't list my ER experience as shadowing. However, when asked about it during my interview, I included that I shadowed while doing my other duties. They were happy that I had patient interaction.

If that is all the shadowing experience that you have, I would probably look into formally shadowing someone.

There is no requirement for shadowing someone, and as far as admissions go, it doesn't matter whether you volunteer in the hospital or shadow a physican, as long as you witness doctor-patient interaction.

OSUdoc08 said:
There is no requirement for shadowing someone, and as far as admissions go, it doesn't matter whether you volunteer in the hospital or shadow a physican, as long as you witness doctor-patient interaction.

This sounds promising as I have had a hell of a time trying to find doctors to shadow. I can't seem to get passed the office gatekeeper types.

jason3278 said:
This sounds promising as I have had a hell of a time trying to find doctors to shadow. I can't seem to get passed the office gatekeeper types.

HAH! Try getting passed the office when you are trying to get a hold of a recommendation! I finally got the "back" number for the office and am stalking my docs that way. She is on vacation, but I now know when she will be back, and what clinics and hospitals she will be at. You can run, but you can not hide...MUHAHAHAHA :laugh:

I can't believe docs are SOOOO inconsiderate to people applying, especially since they KNOW how hard it is. WHY are they making our lives even more difficult than it needs to be! Isn't the stress of good grades, mcat scores, and secondaries enough!?!!!!! :mad:

FrogE7 said:
HAH! Try getting passed the office when you are trying to get a hold of a recommendation! I finally got the "back" number for the office and am stalking my docs that way. She is on vacation, but I now know when she will be back, and what clinics and hospitals she will be at. You can run, but you can not hide...MUHAHAHAHA :laugh:

I can't believe docs are SOOOO inconsiderate to people applying, especially since they KNOW how hard it is. WHY are they making our lives even more difficult than it needs to be! Isn't the stress of good grades, mcat scores, and secondaries enough!?!!!!! :mad:

That's why you get the doc's cell number before you leave from shadowing, so you don't have to go through anyone.

To initially meet the docs?

Volunteer at the hospital and start talking to them.

OSUdoc08 said:
That's why you get the doc's cell number before you leave from shadowing, so you don't have to go through anyone.

To initially meet the docs?

Volunteer at the hospital and start talking to them.

Yeah I initially met the doc while working in a hospital. I then shadowed her for a few months. She just isn't that great at getting back to you, and she is old and has no kids. Basically goes on vacation with her retired husband every few weeks!!! AAAHHHH!!!!! Maybe she just doesnt care about me cause she doesnt have kids of her own.

I should have gotten her cell #, her house #, her mother's #, her pediatrition's #, whatever! :mad:

I just started volunteering at a local hospital in the ER. really pumped up about it.