Importance of shadowing & physician LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medbuddha

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve shadowed 2 MD physicians but not a D.O. (I’ve called, emailed, networked and still having a hard time finding a D.O. to shadow). I’m totally stressing about not having D.O. shadowing and also not having a physician LOR. I’m still trying and may be successful, but just curious as to how crucial this will be for osteopathic schools. I spent an orientation day at a local osteopathic med school and it was a great experience. I really don’t want to ruin my chances with deficiencies in shadowing/LORs. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
 
Does that local school require DO shadowing? Did you ask them for contacts who are willing to take interested students?
That sounds like a great idea.
As far as I know only the DO schools might ask for a DO letter, most MD schools want you to do some shadowing but prefer the letters to be from a professor, research supervisor, or work supervisor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does that local school require DO shadowing? Did you ask them for contacts who are willing to take interested students?
Most osteopathic schools that I’ve looked at including the local one I visited say they recommend shadowing a D.O, and a physician LOR. I didn’t think about asking the school about shadowing contacts but that’s a good idea.
 
I’ve shadowed 2 MD physicians but not a D.O. (I’ve called, emailed, networked and still having a hard time finding a D.O. to shadow). I’m totally stressing about not having D.O. shadowing and also not having a physician LOR. I’m still trying and may be successful, but just curious as to how crucial this will be for osteopathic schools. I spent an orientation day at a local osteopathic med school and it was a great experience. I really don’t want to ruin my chances with deficiencies in shadowing/LORs. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Not shadowing a DO will not hurt you, but doing so will always help.
 
Most osteopathic schools that I’ve looked at including the local one I visited say they recommend shadowing a D.O, and a physician LOR. I didn’t think about asking the school about shadowing contacts but that’s a good idea.
Truly, you will be fine. Currently applying this cycle, submitted to 12 schools, received interviews at 6, declined one, one in progress, 4 complete (all 4 offered an acceptance). All interviews came from DO programs and I applied with about 40 hours of shadowing with MDs only, no DOs. Unless specifically stated in application requirements, don't sweat it!

As far as a physician LOR goes, it depends on the school. Some require it, some don't. Some prefer it, some have other parameters. I would suggest reaching out to the MDs you shadowed and see if they would write you one. Of the two MDs I shadowed, one wrote a letter, and I had another MD letter from a mentor I've had for many years. I had a total of 6 letter writers, only two were physicians.

Feel free to reach out, happy to help how I can.